News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Strange Interesting Things 'Bout Northerners...

Started by Blaqueen, March 01, 2003, 01:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arubuta

i have been observing this interesting subject & enjoying it seriously.

i think d proper way to great ppl is by a  simple handshake.

4 amulets it is very bad.

what needs to be done wid d controversial aspect of d culture is to compare it wid Islam, what is not acceptable wid d religion should be dumped into the bin...........period.

ppl should pay their zakkat to reduce d poverty
If all the trees on earth were pen
and all the sea, with seven more besides, was ink,
God's words would not run dry
  Q31:27

Eskimo

Ambi please please kno that nobody is against you so dont make it personal. we are only tring to interrelate. What woul;d have made say we have stinking mouth. I believe you lied 8).

Back to the points; Gogannaka I agree with you 100% that moving around bare footed is part of us. If someone is in doubt let him visit the emir's palace. the emir's bodyguards (dogarai) are not allowed to wear shoes cos that will equals them to the emir, so u see is a sign of honour for someone to wear shoes. thae traits can also be observed among some common masses, in some parts of old cities you noticed old pple moving around bare footed. I my agree poverty has something to do with it nowadays.

even the almajirai that are mentioned...okay we do wear shoes please Ambi tell me almajiranci is not peculiar to Notherners. go ahead and tell me it is also good.

regarding the way the Prophet (SAW) and his sahaba greeted each other refer to Quran. did nt Allah(SWT) said when we are greeting each other we should say Assalamu alaykum? Allah (SWT) even refered to it as 'tahiyatun minallahi" (greeting from Allah). the reply is also mentioned in the same book..."reply exactly or with something better..." well no mention of bowing down let alone removing ones shoes. if we remove our shoes in greeting someone, i am not suprised it is part of our culture not to wear shoes ;D.

amulets...mhnnnn when is it borrowed from islam? the truth is that northerners used to do all those kind of magic, until when they accepted islam they simply "islamised" it and subsituted their funny picturess and tables with ayats from the holy book.

as you said we lack manners i quite disagree with you. we are just trying to follow our religion and to correct what we percieved as wrong with our brothers with good dialogue not insults...infact we are the best set of mankind as "we command what is good and forbid what is bad..."

with love to our dear friend Ambi
color=blue]NOBODY is PERFECT and I am NOBODY.[/color]

Tukurtukur

Kai! Wallahi nothing strange. But very interesting.  This is our sweet, adorable, humble, gata and refined culture.  " makafo ya so tsegumi" it sims u du nut belong tu d dan fari princely class.

A bari ya huce shi kan kawo rabon wani.  Lets keep our culture alive.  

It has positive effect on the first child in that he feels respected.  Mind u his opinions and views are always respected.  The child grows up with dignity and sense of responsibility for the whole family especially the younger wans.

kilishi

THE WAY THE OFFICE OF UWARGIDA WAS POLITICED IN NORTHERN NIGERIA,I THINK EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE FIRST IN EVERYTHING,I REALLY LIKE IT,IT MEANS EVEN IF YOUR HUSBAND MARRIES ANOTHER THREE WIVES YOU WILL STILL BE THE OGA KWATA-KWATA OF THE HOUSE INTERESTING :P :P
ilishi

Tukurtukur

Thank you KILISHI.  You se what I mean.  A good view.  Our emirs and and traditonal title holders at least in the north, you will agree with me are all first in the male lineage.  Thats our culture.

Kilishi!     Kilishi!!     Kilishi!!!   ????
Can you post me one piece?

Hafsy_Lady

Missed Fyne Dyme.........

ANYWAY, EVA WONDERED WHY HAUSA MEN LIKE TO VISIT THEIR GIRLFREINDS AT NIGHT AND MOSTLY ACCOMPANIED BY ANOTHER FREIND, THOUGH THAT TREND IS FAST FADING FOR FEAR THAT TOMOROW EHN FREIND GO BECOME YUWA GELFREIND HUBBY!

BUT SERIOUSLY, I WANT KNOWING, WHY DO MEN VISIT GIRLS TO CHAT THEM UP AT NIGHT? :?
[/b]
What you see is what you get[/b]

kitkat

Because you girls dont look that hot at 6.30 in the morning, and besides they say all cats are grey in......... :D

neozizo

Cos during the day it is expected that any responsible man is at gona, kasuwa ,kiwo etc.
Plus the night time is more codusive(as opposed to hot sun during the day) and provides more privacy.....
But i can't really phantom we the have to go along with an amini.

neozizo

Oh yeah, why is it also that the babe and the guy refer to themselves in the 3rd person and the amini is the only one who refers to them directly? :?  :?

Dave_McEwan_Hill

I thiunk it is probably because we are biologically programmed  to have sex and sleep with the partner we have had sex with so there is probably a subconscious predisposition in all of us (not just Hausa men)to seek out the opposite sex at night.
At my advanced stage however I would have to admit that sex at anytime of the day or night would be an exciting prospect.
maigemu

dan kauye

Quote from: "Dave_McEwan_Hill"I thiunk it is probably because we are biologically programmed  to have sex and sleep with the partner we have had sex with so there is probably a subconscious predisposition in all of us (not just Hausa men)to seek out the opposite sex at night.
At my advanced stage however I would have to admit that sex at anytime of the day or night would be an exciting prospect.

moral of the story? :roll:

i don't think u read the title of the thread
Dan-Kauye's Artist Of The Week;Robin Thicke

dan kauye

Quote from: "zizo"Oh yeah, why is it also that the babe and the guy refer to themselves in the 3rd person and the amini is the only one who refers to them directly? :?  :?

lol..pardon me,but i had to laugh at that..we sure are full of al'ada or it's innate? and i thought gestures like these has since become history.

dan kauye

Quote from: "arubuta"i have been observing this interesting subject & enjoying it seriously.

i think d proper way to great ppl is by a  simple handshake.

4 amulets it is very bad.

what needs to be done wid d controversial aspect of d culture is to compare it wid Islam, what is not acceptable wid d religion should be dumped into the bin...........period.

ppl should pay their zakkat to reduce d poverty

Exactly:co-signs.

Dave_McEwan_Hill

Dan kauye

No moral to the story.
Just responding to Hafsy Lady's last question
maigemu

Fateez

Hehe, about the shoe removal thing, If we want to go into our grandfathers

main house, we have to remove our shoes from around the main kofa. Or

else...  One old, frail and angry dogari dressed in da most awful color riot

possible will insult da living daylight out of us. he'd start recalling how our

fore fathers did this and that, how they wudn't dare disrespect him, how

he'd lay his life for the honour bla bla bla ...Anyways, sometimes we just

leave our shoes on to see his reaction, it's entertaining.  :lol: I don't mind

taking shoes off to greet elders tho.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain