News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Strange Interesting Things 'Bout Northerners...

Started by Blaqueen, March 01, 2003, 01:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaqueen

As Salam Alaykum... ;)

yeah.. so something about our culture that fascinates meeh.. is "kunyan dan fari"... lol.. why on EARTH does that happen? lol...

my mom told meeh that when my dad plays with my older bro (first born), he makes sure my granny (his mom) isn't around... and when she happens to walk into the room...... sai ya chillad da yaya na gefe daya... hahah... i think its a kute aspect of our culture.... tho i soooooo do not understand it!...

and also... the first borns name is hardly mentioned.. sai a kira shi/ita... "ke, kai"... ;D

if u got anymore...plz share!!!!!!!

p.s. if u talk jargon and try to condemn, i'll seriously damage whuteva is left of ur self-esteem @ u know urself...
da Hunniez Gettin Money Playin Niggaz Like Dummy

ummita

p.s. if u talk jargon and try to condemn, i'll seriously damage whuteva is left of ur self-esteem @ u know urself...

Hmmmmm she laffs sum ppl dont even know how 2 du it fur-real, suna zaki fada point 4ward not "u know ur self"..........besides let any1 tlk jargon if they want........freedom of speech!! Hello!!!!!!!! ::)
Ok.... that kunya thingy...its everywhere.am still waitin 4 a day that ma father will finally call out ma name! That thing kunya is sooooooooooo typical of fulaneez. I guess its tradition :-/
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

Muhammad

Salam
I think the 'kunyar dan fari' is something thats hard to explain. I know a woman very intelligent and versed in the islamic knowledge yet, she never calls her first born by his first name even though the guy is some 20 years old. She calls him 'wane' and everyone understand.
Personally, my grand ma does thesame with her first child abdullah whom she calls 'wanel llah' apparently in contarvention of the meaning of that attribute of Allah.
I believe its something cultural and since it does not involve bidi'a- its innocuous.
Thanks FDQ for redirecting our attention to some common practices often overlooked because of their simplicity.
Bye.

Ummulhuda

That Kunyar danfari has negative side effects on the children.

Ever wondered why in our culture there is a saying that 'dan fari dolo ne?' of course it is not true that every dan fari dolo ne, but by God, how close to the truth that statement is with regards to those children whom this aspect of our culture has been severely practiced upon.
Psychologically speaking, small children need love and attention for their mental development, especially where their intellectual faculties are concerned. Where a child does not receive constant love and attention, he tends to be backward intellectually and academically. The fact that  the culture of ignoring one's first born was practiced in ernest in our society must have accounted for the saying that dan fari dolo ne, because it is the practitioners of this habit that unintentionally stumbled upon this empirical evidence without even realizing it.
I know of a person whose husband told her that he will name their son (who will be her first child) a particular name. Unfortunately,  the birth was a still born boy. Therefore as the husband had another wife who also happened to be pregnant, he named the boy that the second wife gave birth to, the name he had originally intended for the still born child.
The first wife whose child was supposed to have that name has never even once called her stepson by his real name as a sign of Kunya because the name would have been her first child's had he lived!!!!!!!!!!!
One day I was walking with my first born inside my inlaws' compound and I had my arm draped round his shoulder, as I passed these old ladies chatting, they all went quiet, I continued to walk a few paces, but it was like I could feel these four pairs of eyes boring down my back. So I casually turned round and there they were staring at us because I had my arm around my seven year old son. So for the heck of it, I knelt down in front of my son and gave him a really big hug and a kiss, stood up and drew him tightly towards me and we continued on our way.

Blaqueen

Hmmmmm she laffs sum ppl dont even know how 2 du it fur-real, suna zaki fada point 4ward not "u know ur self"

lol..guilty conscience dey worry u? i meant the hataz naaaa... the people who want to condemn everything about being a northerner...when we got soooooo much to share and gist about...POSITIVE THINGS! hehe... they dont call ur name?? ?? ?? awwwwwww thats kute... i was really laffing! ;D

amin..thanx for the insight... :D

aunty ummul..i catch your drift.. my uncle was playing with his grand daughter a gidan biki.. and everyone thot it was kool that he played openely with his FIRST GRANDCHILD!!!!!

so.. something else about our culture... is.. kids calling their mothers "aunty", "umma", "yaya", "hajiya" and then them calling their fathers "bappa", "alhaji", and "am"...

i call my dad "bappa"... because we grew up with our older cousins calling him that...
and one of my aunts.. her kids call her "aunty".. i also have couple of friends who call their mom that...

i tried to explain this aspect of our culture to a friend and she could NOT understand.. she said it was a bad thing to deprive a child of the right to call his mom "mother"... i juss shrugged and laffed... i think its COOL!
it also happens in India!

ummita

she laffs.....I juss layed bck & laffed.....neither did I say u was referin that 2 me,....I was juss like encouragin that u make ur reference public & directly 2 d northern haters....so that u gon get ur self in trouble...now how nyc cud I be givin u a bck bone! Now who guilty conciousyyyy pass! ewww some ppl go fit kill man pikin

Nah wat stands amusin is like this.........ur mum juss happens 2 meet a freind & u start callin her mam........
Or u pay a visit 2 ur freinds house & her siblings start callin u Aunty or Yaya........now how accomdatin is that! yaya from another mother & father ba...I think its juss that we r so courtecious & accomodatin that we even call our maiguards Kawu.........which is fair enuff.....
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

Kameel

Gosh, gaskiya fa kuke fadi!! I was jus wondering my mum never call my name, kai even if u have 2 have the same name with moi, u are safe too!! Though I neva bother, and seems to enjoy it..
Yeah, when we were young the wife hardly calls her husband by his name sai dai ''baban wateva'', but this days, the women neva bothers, so very soon the mopthers too myte change or watcha think??????????

Bahaushiya

yes, that kunya abubuwa ya hade , da ma kar a dena , ko kuma mata su dena sai maza su fara yi lol! :o

Hafsy_Lady

Lallai this is soooooooo bahaushiya.maza su dauka?

Ddon allah ki dau kafar ki kije chit chat..go introduce you self for JJC section & meet the tightest crew..that without them this place aint nothing..(haba admin you know its true..don Allah admit it) & stop shaking your head. But BAHAUSHIYA I WISH YOU LUCK FOR CHIT CHAT PAGE!!! hmmmmmm. Another thing about northerners is ever wondered why this wasan kaka & jika takes place? this wasan kanin miji & yaran kannen mata. I so disagree with that wasan kaka, coz the last time, I had one with my granny, da tabani dundu..that old woman nearly broke my spine.....Kawar yar tsohuwata na cin zalina tana makalewa da wasan cika. but men she is the strongest old chick in town not to mention she is hot! ;D Zan iya samun ma kakata maigida anan wajen, don maigidanta Allah ya mai rasuwa tun kan inzo duniya. She is everymans dream ;D Just joking kwalelenku maza!
What you see is what you get[/b]

Venom

One of the strange thing about northerners that I have noticed is like when 2 the Mosque and u want to have a congregational prayer if u do not have a hat u would be pushed 2 the back and some1 at the back who has a hat would come in ur place.

Y they do that I shall never understand
IKED BY FEW, HATED BY MANY, RESPECTED BY ALL

Ihsan

Wallahi nima I wonder about that things...wai baza ka kira sunan dan farin ka ba...ko hira baza ta hada ku ba... ::) tabdi... ay wani abu mai kamar haka ma ba zai faru ba!! (hehehe)

my mum calls me by my name and if u see us muna hira, u'll think we r friends or sisters...not mother and daughter! and this is good coz u'll get to know one another sosai ba wani kunya tsakaninku.

But my grandmum....hmmm, ita ba ma dan fari ba, har second born dina bata fadi; both my mum and her sister! and my mum's sister tana da 'ya and they have same name, so when my grandmum wants to refer something to the girl she'll say "wannan 'yar yarinyar"  ::)

if I wan do tsokana...sai nace mata wa fa? she'll just gaji and leave mi alone...

and as for the wasa btw kaka and jika..hehehe I do that sosai ma...with both my grandparents... I enjoy di tsokana... 8)

and yeah...the husband and wifey thing...it's kind of funny wai mace ba zata kira sunan mijinta ba!!! lallai ma... ;D
greetings from Ihsaneey

Bahaushiya

hafsy..........to sai wat  in maza sun dauka? ........"to women cab do, men can do better" ;D .alrite zani amma sai na kwalli tukkuna .....don infito tas tas lol!

wetin be this kuma in mutum be sa hula ba a turashi baya ??? ikon God sai looking!

al_hamza

ABILUNAH? SABILUNAH? AL-JIHAD! AL-JIHAD!

Blaqueen

QuoteOne of the strange thing about northerners that I have noticed is like when 2 the Mosque and u want to have a congregational prayer if u do not have a hat u would be pushed 2 the back and some1 at the back who has a hat would come in ur place.

Y they do that I shall never understand

LoL!! ashe an sha tura ka chan baya loooooool

Twinkle

To kai ma Venom mai zai kai ka Masallachi ba hula. :P Or is it all part of spreading ur venom to da ppl or wat. :P :P ;D
    Anyway da first born naming thing, i think it's just da way ppl copy from their previous generation. Probably (Ihsan, Ummita, Kamee & all of u lot wondering) might me doing da same in few years to come. I'll be keeping ma ears opens. lol. ;D
color=red]I RULE IN A UNIQUE WAY!

[/color]
[/i]