News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

FOOD TALK!! Q&A

Started by ummita, May 05, 2004, 02:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mufi

Quote from: ummita on August 24, 2007, 03:45:36 PM

Anywy.....dats nt my worry 4 nw, though a member emailed requestin 4 waina recipee....said somethng bout her husband buggin out.....Anyone ups forrit?

I wanted since to reply to u about the recipe for waina, but unfortunately that did not happen, anyway here is one recipe ur friend might try to follow... ;D ;D

WAINA:
Ingredients:

long grain rice                3cups
Baking powder or Yeast   2tsp
Kanwa (potash)              1 small piece
Water                            11/2 litres
Veg. Oil                         21/2 cooking spoons

METHOD:

Grind 2 cups of the rice to a fine powder, then wash and boil the remaining 1 cup with 11/2 litres of water for about 35 mins or until it is very soft.

Mash the cooked rice to form a paste, then mix with the rice flour. Mix thoroughly with the baking powder or yeast (some ppl use yogurt instead of the bak. pwdr or the yst) and allow to stay over night to ferment about 12hrs.

Add a litre of water to the fermented rice. Stir properly, then add the ground kanwa(which of course u soak in water). Cover up and allow to rise for about an hour.

Heat the waina pot ( a special clay pot with holes like "cup cakes" baking tray) for 10 mins. Grease each hole with 1 tbls of veg. oil and allow to heat up for about 2 mins. Scoop the rice mixture with a spoon and drop into each hole. Allow to fry for a few seconds, then turn over with a fork or spoon, and let all sides be properly fried till golden brown. Remove and place in a collander.

SINASIR:

The ingredients and method for Sinasir, except u make the mixture a little watery and also u will grind the 3 cups of rice to a fine powder. You will fry it on a frying pan and cover to cook just like the waina.

You can of course eat Waina or Sinasir with ur favourite soup such as Veg. soup, egusi, or miyan taushe. Whichever u prefer. Bon appetit!!! ;) ;D

One thing i found out about it, is that u have to keep trying many times to perfect it, so even if it doesn't work out the first time don't give up. :) :)

There are of course many ways to do it, so if anyone has another way of doing it, by all means share with us..... ;D ;D
Life is like a flower; more exquisite and precious when shared with others.

ummita

Minkam na godeh diyawa fah, Mufi. Really appreciate it. I will send a PM of it 2 d member. Nima I might try it :-\ But am scared........ Come, how did u know how to make it? Makin pessin feel abit jelous here (rolls eyes).............(she laffs)............

Keeeeee, kin tabah cin Karkishi.........its a soup just like Kukah, and if u haventttttttttt GODDDDDDDDDDDD U r missin ;D..............I will send u d recipee 4 it. I hav turned d soup in2 my ice-cream..........Bowl & teaspoon.....& u r sorted. I eat it wit almost anything. Last week I was dippin my bread sticks into miyen Karkishi...............Why hvnt I known dat soup in my years of livin ehn? ;D

Mufi, let me know if u hav tasted it before............ ;D
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

Mufi

Lol!! u know it took a lot of practice b4 i was able to be comfortable making it ;D;D

WAINA is one of my Hubby's favorite food. Growing up my Mom used to make it a lot n i remember fussing whenever she makes it, b'cos i didn't like it that much.

Well... I got married and my DH wouldn't mind eating waina for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So u know what i had to do...learn how to make it.

Anyway, just keep trying n u will get the hang of it... ;) ;)

Back to ur MIYAN KARKASHI yes i've tasted it b4 n i loved it ;D, though it has been a while since i made some.

Hafsy_Lady

@ Ummita, yawwa sauran idan abunnan, asked, who taught you how to make waina? Better mention this lady. E'he! Before you carry credit alone and pretend like you used your own initiative ;D Ki tabbatah kince wata baiwar Allah ce mai suna Mufi ita ta koya miki. >:(

Point of correction, yar madara da manshanu its KARKASHI not KARKISHI!!!! ;D
What you see is what you get[/b]

ummita

Mhmmmm Mufi. Once again thanks for the recipe. Even though it was another member who wanted it, I also taught its worth trying but mhmmmm, this is my result.

I printed off your method of making waina and got all my ingredients ready. Puree'd my rice etc. I got my non-stick pan and started frying. First one got stuck, second one was pure white but decided to brush it over with egg white or add sugar to give it the brownish look and not bad but inside, paste was still fresh!!!! 5th attempt it wouldn't come off my pan!!!!.
Yes! I brushed the pan with oil. 6th try it just wouldn't even cook, just hot paste! I was loosing it..........FINALLY, I took the paste bowl and poured everything down the drain!!!!!!  Very annoying!!!! Nah hankurah. :(

I hav given up! Its waina and kunu na koko, these are the only two things I can never make. Hiss!!! If I want waina, I will simply send money off. This lady makes special once for me and I normally freeze them and eat when desired. For me, its not something I see everyday in kitchens, otherwise would have been able to make it!!!

Hafsy yadda inah jin haushi, just keep shut or you will smell my wrath!!!! >:( >:( >:(

Anyway Mufi, u still Ace!!!!!

Mufi

Ummita, u have to make several attempts, believe me don't give up, or perhaps try to get somebody who has master it already and have them make it while u watch.

My early days of making waina, a friend of my husband was visiting, n i decided to make some for lunch that day, OMG!! it was a horrible experince n the gud thing i didn't tell them i was making waina for lunch, it would have been a big embarassment  :-[ :-[. The only thing that saved me was making Tuwon Shinkafa, b'cos i had already made Miyan Taushe.

U know its just like making Puff-Puff, some days it'll rise the way u want it, n some days it won't.

ummita

Still sulking :-[..............will get back at u when am overdone! ;D

ummita

*Deep breathe* & *exhale*...........ok am better naw ;D

Quote from: Mufi on January 31, 2008, 08:17:09 PM
Ummita, u have to make several attempts, believe me don't give up,
With the way I was going on about my waina trial....................several attempts will be one hell of a waste. Kadah buhun shikafah ya kareh...... ;D

Amma apart from serving waina wit Miyen taushi, you can have it with Stew too......shebi?.......

bakangizo

A ina ake waina a frying pan?!!! Maza ki sayo tanda, in kina son cin waina tayi kyau.                                                           

Hafsy_Lady

Quote from: ummita on January 31, 2008, 06:55:09 PM
Hafsy yadda inah jin haushi, just keep shut or you will smell my wrath!!!! >:( >:( >:(

WELL HELLO, NEWS FLASH. >:(..............YOU ARE NO GOOD AT IT SO GET OVER IT!!!!! ;D And did Mufi say frying pan? Am in stitches. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Har namiji yasan ba'a yin waina a frying pan. Gaya mata dai Bakan Gizo. ;D

Wallahi idan kina so you can come over next week na koyamiki idan zaki bani dubu hamsin. Allah! By the way, that stuff you made during EID is so delicious har abunnan ya manta da hularsa. So teach me I teach you. Its your call.

Walking away and shaking her head. That Mufi sef no sabi business >:(....ai kamata yayi ace kinki koyamata sai tabiya ki.
What you see is what you get[/b]

Mufi

Hafsy_lady, yes i use frying pan for my waina, believe me when you find yourself home away from home there is nothing you could not do to make your favorite food.

HUSNAA

Quote from: Mufi on March 14, 2008, 03:46:02 AM
Hafsy_lady, yes i use frying pan for my waina, believe me when you find yourself home away from home there is nothing you could not do to make your favorite food.
Well done Mufi! Dama an ce necessity is the mother of invention... ;D ;D ;D ;D
let me guess.. do u put  pastry cutters in the flat pan to act as partitions for the pieces of waina? ... Very smart!! I never thought about it till u mentioned the frying pan, so I couldnt see how you can make the individual pieces of waina stay put in the pan without spreading out.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Mufi

Actually, Husnaa i used the smallest frying i can get and just make one at a time. Its just like sinasir, if i'm not mistaking you use some thing like a frying and you also cover in order to simmer the top right? .. thats exactly how i make my waina except i don't cover it and i have to turn it over for the other side to cook, and the only difference you'll see is just the shape and nothing else.

Some ppl also use griddle the one you use for pancakes, and you know the shape of it, its kinda big and wide, and thats what allow you to cook about six or so at a time, I don't like using the griddle for the simple fact, the waina comes out flat...

ummita

Minkam, I have tamdah da suyah waina. I just wanted to be a bit more creative and make my waina into sinasir.
Second reason, mehhhhhyyyynnnnnnn cooking firewood.......I love it, makes me feel warmly traditional but the smokeeeeeeee, the smokeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! My eyes cant bear!

I have the ironed tamdah na suya that I can use on my cooker. Its just not balanced. It slipped and almost fell on my aunts baby who crawled into the kitchen surrepticiously. So for safety reasons I rather not use!

So for those trying to gag me when I made my waina in a frying pan. Make wuna take time wo! Specifically......Hafsa and Bakan-Gizo. I even tried it on my WOK so? >:(

ummita

Toh, where are my haters!!!!!!!!! Hafsy & Bakan-Gizo. Thnks for the mockery. But I have done it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I made waina on Saturday & all my waina's came out fantasically beautiful and delicious except the first two.........I had 8ppl dined out and everyone kept commenting on my waina. Infact one asked how I did it!!!! ;D ;D ;D Imagine!!! So Bakan Gizo & Hafsy saikuzo cin waina. (rolls eyes) >:( Let me see ur leg at my doorstep!!!!...........