News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

FOOD TALK!! Q&A

Started by ummita, May 05, 2004, 02:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fateez

Hehehehehe! Congratulations!

My Food Question::

It was a special person's birthday a few weeks ago and I decided to bake cupcakes. It was white

chocolate mud cake. I did everything the recipe said, in fact, I corrected all my measurements

and checked for error due to parallax. I waited in patient anticipation and when my cupcakes were

done...they came out CONCAVE, SHRUNKEN AND SHRIVELED! I almost cried! WHY people? WHY?

Why did my cakes shrink :( this has never happened to me before but then again i have never made

cup cakes. Everyone kept saying they looked "cute" but i bet they were only saying that because they

know I'll let them have it if they said otherwise :( Help.....

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

gogannaka

Abin kunya.
Yam matan kanoonline ba su iya cake ba.
An tambaye su meyasa cake yake zama concave and shrunken sun kasa amsawa.
An ji kunya dai.

Fateez i think one of the ingredients was put in excess,maybe sugar or baking powder.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

amira

Quote from: gogannaka on July 06, 2008, 07:56:59 PM
Abin kunya.
An ji kunya dai.

LOL!!!!!!!!
Kai amma GGNK ka iya yankan kauna.
Fateez dear kyale shi that was just a practice one since you've never made cupcakes
its okay i understand.
*Each day is definately defining me and finding me*

Hafsy_Lady

Quote from: gogannaka on July 06, 2008, 07:56:59 PM
Abin kunya.
An ji kunya dai.

Fateez i think one of the ingredients was put in excess,maybe sugar or baking powder.
Sannun "oasis". To, kai donAllah ka amsa. Fateez dont mind Gogannaka. Am sure ita missus din tashi bata iya ba aswell. Gogannaka ko kawar tamu ta iya ne itama? ;D

Actually did you say you kept checking? If you kept opening your oven, then that might have been the factor. Too much air! Or either, kinyi overbeating mixture din and too much air got into it again. Or your baking tins are too small or you've put too much mixture in it. One of the biggest errors is this: I learnt this ages ago, that is if you use a redcued fat butter, your recipe wont work and therefore you cake wont come out nicely because of the high percentage of water in the fat. However, stick butter works best. Or simply put, you measurements might not be correct as in kilos to grams or your cups to teaspoons or tasblespoons.

Goodluck on your next trial
What you see is what you get[/b]

ummita

Ladies how many of us cook with either sunflower oil, vegetable oil or olive oil? I love cooking with sunflower oil but after persistent nagging from my circle about health effects, I decided to throw in a couple of olive oil bottles in the kitchen. But whenever I cook with olive oil it just doesnt have that aroma that sunflower oil has and the color of olive oil is not eye appealing to me.........and am finding myself going back to sunflower oil despite its "unhealthy" factor.
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

ummita

I am still about my cooking oil........ >:( Which cooking oil do you use? I have been urged to use red palm oil but I hate the smell of it, smells like raw fish or egg. I love sunflower but  :-\ theres such an outburst about health effects & they say substitute it for Oliver oil and I so so so so hateeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Olive oil. Ladies which one wuna dey?
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

Hafsy_Lady

Dearie, Olive oil anyday!!! Any other cooking oil is unhealthy. I think red oil/palm oil is the safest of all sef).

Ok, I have issues with Couscous. >:( ??? Am not good in cooking it coz it turns porridgy!!! And most times my Akara/Kosai end up too oily after frying. Whats up with that? I was advised to add flour and I added self raising flour. I ended up have puff puff instead of Kosai. >:( >:( >:(
????????????
What you see is what you get[/b]

Fateez

Thank you Gogannaka, Amira and Hafsa!

I guess I did everything wrong

Gogannaka; I added extra white chocolate cos the person I was baking them for absolutely

loves white choc! My mistake!

Amira: I haven't even attempted cupcakes since then. I don't usually bake cakes. Only on very

special occasions or if I'm helping somebody out. I guess my concave cupcakes bashed my

baking esteem :(   :'(  will try again soon :)

Hafsy: Guilty as charged! I used reduced fat butter! in fact I used absolutely no fat butter! I'm

very paranoid about cholesterol because my mum's family all have hypercholesterolemia (Someone

should research cholesterol and Fulani people, I think something's fishy with them!) Anyways I

only use that kind of butter so I guess that's one of the problems.

Thank you for the help peoples :) I shall try it again soon!

And maybe even take pictures! Hopefully they'll be nice and convex this time  8)   8)   8)

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain