News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

HALAL FOODS

Started by ummita, May 05, 2004, 02:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ummita

Find below a list of halal foods for the beneficiary of those who eat halal and those that want to know about halal foods. Thank you[/b]
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

ummita

The following products are definitely Hala:
Milk (from cows, sheeps, camels or goats).
Honey.
Fish.
Plants which are not intoxicant.
Fresh or naturally frozen vegetables.
Fresh or dried fruits.
Legumes like peanuts, cashew nuts, hazel nuts, walnuts, etc.
Grains such as wheat, rice, rye, barley, oat, etc.

The following items have been categorically spelled out as being Haram:
Pig/Swine/Pork and its by-products.
Blood and and blood by-products.
Carnivorous animals.
Reptiles and insects.
Halal animals which are not slaughtered according to the Islamic Law.
Animals killed in the name of anyone other than God.
The bodies of dead animals or dead before slaughtering.
Alcohol and intoxicants such as Wine, Ethyl Alcohol, and Spirits etc.

Foods containing ingredients in the following are example of Mushbooh:
Gelatin.
Enzymes.
Emulsifiers.
Lard.
Glycerol/glycerin etc.

Khalil

Salam Alaikum,

Quite a good list you have here. I must say am impressed.

But I think  snakes are reptiles(though not sure) and many or even the majority of the schools of thoughts see them as part of the halal food. Just dunno you can check that out. Also there are crocodiles, I think they too are Halal. But please do check it out.

Thanks

al_hamza

khalil...... are you kanuri?
i have an aunt that's from maiduguri, and she's a kanuri, her bro told me once that in maiduguri they eat snakes and crocodiles, he even told me the best part of the crocodile was its tail, plus the meat of a snake tastes like an oily fish.
mmmmmm, i have had it on my mind to taste croc and snake meat for a long time, but i have met many people that think they are haram.
I hope, you'd be able to clear it out for me since i follow the Imam Malik sect (like many northerners) but i currently am in an area where there are only and only Imam Hanafi folowers, and there are quite alot of things that we dont agree on.
ABILUNAH? SABILUNAH? AL-JIHAD! AL-JIHAD!

ummita

Thanks Khalil.
It is very informative. Howeva, I do not have knwoledge on the kinds of reptiles that Islam does not consider Haram for consumption so correct me if am wrong. Islam says 'avoid eating anything injurious to health'. Right or wrong? Some snakes are poisions than others, though they do not cause internal harm, but they still harm u both externally & internally. They sting u & their venom goes in2 ur body destroyin cells and blocking blood vein. Perhaps, they mayb consumable but shouldnt we consider the injurious to health and for consumption? On d other hand, I dnt think crocodiles shud b consumed by muslims though am not really sure of my statement but my reason for saying so is, even though it lives in water, howeva 60% of his livings is on dry land. And if Crocodile can eat human being alive or dead & any kind of animal dead corpse, shouldnt we not eat it? How can we consume such a thing? Doesnt it carry the same weight like eating Porks? Because the reason that we are not allowed to eat pork is because "we" consider it not good for the body. It eats all kinds of dirt including dead decayed corpses.

Fateez

:D Dis place is lookin nice, Ummita is doing such a gud job already.

I have a question, Blood is haraam rite? I always wonder...

u know sumtimes when u make bbq, or grill chicken some parts

especially da joints, don't usually get cooked, it's always lookin red-ish.

some pple say it's oky 2 eat it, but i get disgusted easily.

These pple dat eat it, is it haraam?

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

gogannaka

I heard once that all hatched creatures(those hatched from eggs) are halal.That means snakes and crocs are halal.Atlhough i dont have a concrete proof to back me up.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Hafsy_Lady

Quote from: "Fateez" :D Dis place is lookin nice, Ummita is doing such a gud job already.

I have a question, Blood is haraam rite? I always wonder...

u know sumtimes when u make bbq, or grill chicken some parts

especially da joints, don't usually get cooked, it's always lookin red-ish.

some pple say it's oky 2 eat it, but i get disgusted easily.

These pple dat eat it, is it haraam?

THE RED BLOODY PART ALSO PUTS MEH OFF. ESP GRILLED STEAKS! :?
What you see is what you get[/b]

al_hamza

Girls! there aint no Bampaya (Vampire) in the house, no one likes blood!
ABILUNAH? SABILUNAH? AL-JIHAD! AL-JIHAD!

dan kauye

nyce post y'all got in here....its reely in4mative plz keep d facts flowing...but uhm....snakes,blood,...no no!
Dan-Kauye's Artist Of The Week;Robin Thicke

Eskimo

The Haram food are only found in the Quran and Sunnah of the Prophet. Whatever is not mentioned there is halal as far as Islam is concerned. However some Madhahibs have forbidden certain food while others permit it. A muslim may decide to avoid food forbidden by his madhhab but at the same time must know that eating such food by another muslim or even himself is not an act of sin..as no one can forbid what Allah and his Prophet make Halal or vice varsa. So Ummi, eating reptiles whether poisonous or not is permitted in Islam...now to eat or to reject the meat depends on the muslim in question. Just like the Prophet was presented with lizard ( :D Arabs do eat lizards..funny isnt it?) in Volume 7, Book 65, Number 312 of Sahih al Bukhari: He withdrew his hand. Khalid asked, "Is it unlawful to eat?" the Prophet said, "No, but it is not found in the land of my people and that is why I do not like eating it." So Khalid started eating (it) while Allah's Apostle was looking at him. Anther example here is the flesh of the horse..which is not allowed in Maliki madhhab though is permitted by others.

I will present the verses of the Holy Book listing Haram food...Any food that is not mentioned there is considered to be halal except if it is forbidden in Sunnah. an of a food in that category is the flesh of a Donkey (not Zebra). although is not mentioned in the Quran, the Prophet forbids his followers from eating the flesh of Donkey..in Sahih al Bukhari Volume 4, Book 52, Number 234: Narrated Anas: ..."Then we found some donkeys which we (killed and) cooked: The announcer of the Prophet announced: "Allah and His Apostle forbid you to eat donkey's meat." So, all the pots including their contents were turned upside down".

I will also try and see that I presented Hadith from Sahihal Bukhari that talked about Haram and Halal Food.

Other foods are classified as Makhruh, neither Halal nor Haram. Just as the Prophet said .."Haram is clear and Halal is clear..and in between there are some issues mutashabiha" Example you may give the flesh of Lizards..since we want to emulate the Prophet and he didnt take it..then it is advisable for a muslim not to take it..EVEN THOUGH EATING IS NOT HARAM. (  :D Hausas do give it to young ones as a medication for cough).
another example amy include enzymes, glycerin and other foods of doubtfull origin.
color=blue]NOBODY is PERFECT and I am NOBODY.[/color]

Eskimo

From the Quran:

O ye people! eat of what is on earth, lawful and good; and do not follow the footsteps of the Evil One, for he is to you an avowed enemy.
(AL BAQARAH, 2:168)

Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah. that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars); (forbidden) also is the division (of meat) by raffling with arrows: that is impiety. This day have those who reject faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear Me. This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to transgression, Allah is indeed Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

(AL-MAIDAH, 5:3)
They ask thee what is lawful to them (as food). Say: lawful unto you are (all) things good and pure.

(AL MA'IDAH, 5:4)
Eat of the things which Allah hath provided for you, lawful and good; but fear Allah, in whom ye believe.

(AL MA'IDAH, 5: 88 )
The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them.

(AL MA'IDAH, 5:5)
So eat of the sustenance which Allah has provided for you, lawful and good; and be grateful for the favors of Allah, if it is He Whom ye serve.
(AL NAHL,16:114)

Other verses not mention are does not contained what is not mention in the second verse above. Allah knows best.

Eskimo

In the Hadith..Donkey flesh is forbidden (though horse and zebra meat are lawful). This is reflected in the Hadith of Anas I quoted above. Another Hadith confirming the prohibiton of Donkey also forbids the flesh of some animals. the hadith is in Sunan Ab? D?w?d and Sunan al-Tirmidh? with a good line of transmission to al-Miqd?d B. Ma`id Yakrib that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: ?It is unlawful for you to eat the flesh of donkeys and carnivores possessing fangs.? The cat and dog are included in this prohibition, because they are carnivores possessing fangs.

It is related in Sahih Muslim that Ibn `Abb?s said: ?The Prophet (peace be upon him) forbade eating the flesh of fanged predatory animals and birds with talons.? This would include the dog, the cat, the bear and other similar carnivores as well as birds of prey like eagles, hawks, and falcons.

The above Hadith are both sound. Should we consider these two hadith as weak as some people are insinuating because they include cats and some birds..then we have to accept that Dogs are not Haram either.

Allah knows best. I stand to be corrected so that we learn together.
May Allah guide us and feed us with what is Halal in his sight.

Fateez

~*Salaam*~

Thanxx 4 da verses & Hadith Eskimo Jazzakallahu Khair
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

Fateez

Quote from: "dan kauye"nyce post y'all got in here....its reely in4mative plz keep d facts flowing...but uhm....snakes,blood,...no no!

Hey Dan 'kauye, it's not blood. It's just a part of da meat

dat doesn't get cooked esp. in BBQ. Many pple eat it unconsciously. Usually

da food tastes really good so u'll just put everything in ur mouth...anyway

it's even good like dat, cos if u start noticing it, u'll start losin ur appetite

like mi, since i found out i've been examining my meat and eatin it bit by bit

so just shun da issue {If u wanna enjoy ur meat-eatin days}

I've also noticed it in Balangu