News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

SOCCER UPDATE

Started by Negus, May 19, 2004, 04:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Negus

Bayern Close To Lucio Capture

05/25/2004. Bayern Munich have confirmed that they are close to signing Bayer Leverkusen defender Lucio.

The Brazilian apparently has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave for 15 million euros, and Bayern's Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said: "We have found a common basis with the player and Leverkusen.

"If the medical results are okay, there's a very good chance that Lucio will join us."

Roma, Juventus and Chelsea have been linked with the World Cup winner in the past.

Negus

Mido set for Toon Talks

Marseille's Egyptian striker Mido claims he is set to hold talks with Newcastle United manager Sir Bobby Robson.
Mido has not had the expected impact since arriving at Marseille in the summer of 2003 from Ajax and is believed to be one of the players l'OM coach Jose Anigo will look to move on.

The talented Egyptian was linked with Newcastle last summer, but Robson opted against getting involved in a bidding war as he felt he had enough strikers on the books at St James' Park.

It would appear the veteran tactician has continued to monitor Mido's progress and circumstances could now see Robson dip into his transfer kitty.

Mido claims he will speak to Robson before assessing the options open to him, which suggests he could be in line for a move to St James' Park.

"I am not sure if I will stay at Marseille or not," Mido told Egyptianplayers.com. "There are many clubs interested. They are AS Roma, Atletico Madrid, Newcastle and also Besiktas of Turkey.

"I may have a meeting in the next couple of days with Sir Bobby Robson to discuss a possible transfer to Newcastle.

"I will look carefully at all offers before making my decision."

Newcastle could well perceive Mido as the perfect striking capture, as Alan Shearer has made no secret of the need for the club to find his long-term replacement.

Mido's power and ability in the air mark him out as a potential replacement for Shearer, and Robson is likely to have space in his squad for new faces if Tresor Lomana Lua Lua is sold to Portsmouth.

Pompey have the chance to sign Lua Lua and his sale could see Robson handed the green light to press home a move for a player he has admired for some time

Negus

Reds part company with Houllier

Liverpool have parted company with manager Gerard Houllier but the Frenchman insisted: 'I may have left Liverpool, but Liverpool will not leave me.'

The news brings to an end weeks of speculation that the Frenchman's time at Anfield was drawing to a close.

Houllier's departure was initially announced in a statement and he made it clear he still has a strong affinity for the club.

'I arrived here six years ago as a Liverpool supporter and I leave as an even bigger supporter,' he said.

'I may have left Liverpool, but Liverpool will not leave me. I will return to watch the team as a fan.

'I have four special memories that I take away with me,' the Frenchman explained.

'Michael Owen scoring the winner against Arsenal with his left foot [in the FA Cup final], Gary McAllister being handed the man of the match award against Alaves [in the UEFA Cup], the mosaic when I was recovering from heart surgery and Steven Gerrard taking his daughter around the pitch on the last day of the season.'

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry said: 'After considerable thought and discussion the board have decided to part company with the manager and Gerard has accepted this with typical good grace.

'We have always said we would review our position at the end of the season and that is what we have now done.

'Although we have reached the Champions League that is a minimum standard and not a goal.

'For a variety of reasons the board decided that change was necessary if we were to realistically challenge for the title next season.

Parry added: 'But this is not a day for anger, recrimination or speculation. It is a day for dignity and respect and I want to publicly thank Gerard for his considerable achievements during his time in charge.

'We all have very fond memories of the historic treble and the other trophies won but there were many other special occasions and I will personally never forget the reception given to Gerard after he returned from illness for the Champions League game against Roma.

'We had many good times together.'

Houllier paid tribute to his players, saying: 'Thanks to them we have won six trophies. We have also qualified for the UEFA Cup once and for the Champions League three times in the last four years.'

'Thanks also to David Moores, Rick Parry, the board of directors, Phil Thompson and all the staff at Anfield and Melwood.

'The team and I have had a great relationship despite the mischief that has been spread recently.

'The club has considerably improved both on and off the field and must keep on developing.

'The club is in my heart. It is one of the most fantastic clubs in the world.

'But the club needs to consider its roots and understand that it cannot always have a quick fix.'

Negus

Figo "Quieroz paid for other mistakes"

Carlos Queiroz, sacked as Real Madrid coach on Monday, paid for decisions that had been made before his arrival, according to Real midfielder Luis Figo.

'The coach did everything possible to win with what he was given by the club,' the Portuguese international told Spanish sports daily Marca on Tuesday.

Figo said decisions to organise an exhausting but money-spinning pre-season tour of Asia and offload several key players, plus Real's failure to strengthen the defence had made Queiroz's job especially difficult.

'He did everything he could and did it with the utmost professionalism and commitment,' Figo said.

Real president Florentino Perez accused Queiroz of lacking sufficient authority as coach and has replaced him with former Spain coach Jose Antonio Camacho. Real ended a humiliating season with a record run of five straight league defeats.

Queiroz, who warned Real that the squad was dangerously thin when he took over as coach in June, said he thought his dismissal had been unjustified.

'I'm disappointed with the decision that they have taken,' he told Marca. 'I believe that it was unjust but I have to accept it.

'All I can say is that serving Real Madrid has been an honour for me and I want to wish the club all the best in the future.'

Queiroz's predecessor Vicente del Bosque, who was discarded after leading Real to two league titles and two European Cups during his three and a half years at the helm, said he saw similarities between his departure from the club and that of Queiroz.

'It didn't surprise me,' he told Spanish radio station Onda Cero on Tuesday. 'They did the same with me but the only difference was that we had just won the league and were still celebrating the title.

'They were unjust, aggressive and insensitive and I'm not just talking about the decision not to renew my contract. The squad was thin then and it is even thinner now.'

Del Bosque said that Camacho, who played alongside him at Real, was the ideal person to take charge but warned that he would not have an easy job.

'Camacho now has a difficult task as the club expects a lot of him and he can't afford to fail but he is the best coach the club could appoint,' he said.

Unlike Queiroz, Camacho, who will be presented to the media on Tuesday, will have the benefit of a more balanced squad when he takes charge.

Last week Perez signed the first defender of his four-year presidency by recruiting Argentine centre-back Walter Samuel from AS Roma for 25 million euros ($30.19 million).

Perez confirmed on Monday he will be standing in this year's presidential election which is likely to take place on July 11.

Negus

Magath takes charge at Bayern  

Felix Magath has been confirmed as the new coach of Bayern Munich after formalities over a three-year contract were agreed on Sunday.
The 50-year-old takes over from outgoing boss Ottmar Hitzfeld, whose contract was cancelled one year early by mutual consent, and Magath will officially take over on June 28.

The club have turned to Magath after finishing a disappointing second to Werder Bremen in the Bundesliga.

Negus

Davids to shun Barca for England?

Dutch international Edgar Davids could be on his way to the Premiership.
Barcelona have called a press conference this afternoon to discuss Davids' status and sporting director Aitor Begiristain is expected to say the 31-year-old midfielder has turned down a two-year extension.

Begiristain met with the player and his agent Robert Geerling this morning.

Geerling is reported by the Spanish national newspaper El Mundo to have said that a club from England had made 'a huge offer'.

'We haven't reached an agreement with Barcelona,' he added.

Barcelona wanted Davids to remain in Catalonia because he was instrumental in helping them surge up the table and finish in second place but appeared reluctant to give him the three-year deal he was seeking.

Inter Milan have been strongly linked with Davids but Geerling said to El Mundo that he has no knowledge of an offer from the Italian giants.

Negus

Giuly unsure about Monaco future  

PARIS, May 24 (Reuters) - Monaco midfielder Ludovic Giuly is unsure whether he will stay with the Champions League finalists next season even though his contract with the principality team does not expire until June 2005.  

Giuly, who will play in the European Cup final against Porto on Wednesday, told L'Equipe on Monday: 'I want them (the club) to show me that they want me to stay.'

The French international criticised the club's attitude towards the players.

'I don't even want to talk about me. We are all in the same situation. So everybody waits. So I wait, like the others,' added Giuly.

He said coach Didier Deschamps's decision to stay or leave would be decisive in the players' choice: 'If he leaves, many players will be keen to go.'

Media reports have suggested Deschamps could land a job with either Juventus or Chelsea.

Giuly added he wanted to stay at Monaco provided his team mates were also assured their futures with the club.

'Either we all stay, or we all leave.'

Croatia striker Dado Prso has already agreed to join Glasgow Rangers during the close season after he failed to reach a deal with the club over another contract.

Monaco have debts of up to 87 millions euros ($104.1 million) and Giuly said the club remained vague about their financial future.

'It is up to the club to know what they want to do. There are financial solutions. But it's the president's problem and the shareholders' problem, if there are any shareholders', said Giuly.

Last month, Monaco gave the French Soccer League (LFP) assurances about their financial future after investors in the Ligue 1 side took control of the principality club.

The seven-times French champions were relegated last season despite finishing second because of heavy debts and were only reinstated to the top flight following an appeal.

However, a group of investors, Monaco Football Investment (MFI), have increased their stake in the club to 51 percent from 34 percent, which appears to have brought enough guarantees for the LFP not to take sanctions.

MFI is reported to be composed of investors close to the prince's palace.

Negus

E.Europe round-up: Krakow title

Wisla Krakow clinched their ninth Polish league title with two games to spare after a 1-0 away win at Gornik Leczna as nearest rivals Legia Warsaw were held to a 2-2 draw at Groclin Grodzsik.
A deflected 30-metre shot from Maciej Stolarczyk gave Wisla the win and lifted them seven points above Legia, who were reduced to 10 men early in the match at Groclin after taking an 11th minute lead through Piotr Wlodarczyk.

Marek Jozwiak was sent off in the 15th minute for a professional foul and the home team's Sebasrian Mila turned the match around with two first half goals before Marek Saganowski headed home a 78th minute equaliser.

Two goals from Serb striker Igor Bogdanovic and one from Peter Bajzat gave Debrecen a 3-0 win over Siofok Balaton and put them in the driving seat to win the three-way title race on the final day of the Hungarianseason.

Debrecen are a point ahead of Ujpest, who beat third-placed Ferencvaros Budapest 1-0 thanks to a delightful 21st minute lob from Peter Rajczi to stay in touch.

Ferencvaros are two points behind the leaders and entertain them in the final match while Ujpest are away to last season's champions MTK Budapest, who continued a dreadful run with a 4-1 defeat at Sopron.

Slovakia's Dukla Banska Bystrica, who returned to top flight this season after two years in the second division, stayed on course for their first league title with a 6-0 destruction of Spartak Trnava.

Peter Penov gave Dukla a fifth minute lead and the floodgates opened after Martin Jakubko capitalised on a defensive blunder just after the hour to keep the home side in pole positioin.

Second-placed MSK Zilina stayed in touch two points adrift with a 3-0 win against Trencin. Stanislav Sestak opened the scoring and then turned provider for Michal Gottwald before Dusan Sinsky sealed the match.

Second half substitute Anders Oper scored in the 71st minute to give Russian league leaders Torpedo Moscow a 1-0 win over Rotor Volgograd and keep them three points clear at the top of the table.

Second-placed Zenit St. Petersburg beat struggling Kuban Krasnodar by the same score, courtesy of an Alexander Kerzhakov effort just before halftime.

Krylya Sovietov Samara beat Lokomotiv Moscow 1-0 while Spartak Moscow's slump continued with a 1-0 home defeat by Alania Vladikavkaz, leaving them 16 points off the pace.

A Sergey Fedorov own goal gave third-place Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk a 1-0 win against Ukrainian champions and league leaders Dynamo Kiev, who saw their advantage at the top slashed to three points with four matches to go.

Second-placed Shakhtar Donetsk took advantage and romped to a 5-0 rout of Karpaty Lviv with two goals from Andriy Vorobyey and one each from Razvan Rac, Ciprian Marica and Zvonimir Vukic.

Rac opened the scoring with a curling free kick but it was Marica who netted the best goal of the match, a spectacular shot from the edge of the box in the 49th minute.

Maribor edged closer to their eighth successive Slovenian league title wih a 0-0 draw against Olimpija Ljubljana as second-placed Nova Gorica lost 2-0 at Ajdovscina Primorje.

Maribor, a point ahead of Gorica with one match remaining, had the upper hand against their bitter rivals but escaped a costly defeat in the end as Olimpija's Bostjan Kreft rattled the crossbar in the 89th minute.

Gorica, in pole position for most of the season, were beaten by a brace from Ajdovscina's Drazen Zezelj, who converted a first half penalty and sealed the match in the 79th minute after a good pass by Goran Vicentic.

Romania's Dinamo Bucharest strike partners Ionel Danciulescu and Claudiu Niculescu were on target to give the league leaders a 2-1 win at Poli AEK Timisoara and keep them four points clear of city rivals Steaua.

Niculescu gave Dinamo a 10th minute lead and the league's top scorer Danciluescu doubled it in the 67th with his 19th goal of the season before Silviu Balace pulled one back for the hosts.

An early goal from Marian Aliuta gave Steaua a 1-0 home win over Bacau to keep alive their slim hopes of snatching the title from Dinamo's grasp with two matches remaining.

In Bosinachampions Siroki Brijeg, who earlier secured their first league title with three games to spare, celebrated the success with a 3-3 draw against Glasinac in their final home match of the season.

The three-way battle for UEFA Cup slots continued as second-placed Zeljeznicar Sarajevo beat Rudar Ugljevik 4-1 to go three points ahead of city rivals Sarajevo, 3-1 losers at Modrica, and last season's champions Leotar Trebinje.

Negus

Ronaldinho helps usher out Dutch era

MADRID, May 26 (Reuters) - 'Brazil' is the word on everyone's lips at Barcelona after a stellar first season by playmaker Ronaldinho ushered out a long period of Dutch domination of the Catalan side.
Ronaldinho, who joined the club from Paris St Germain last July, notched up 15 goals this season and inspired Barcelona to a 17-game unbeaten run which lifted them to a second-place finish in Spain's Primera Liga.

His visionary passing and strong finishing have brought life to a Barcelona side that has not lifted a trophy in five years.

'Enchanted by the Brazilians,' read one headline in a Catalan newspaper after the Nou Camp hosted a friendly on Tuesday between Catalonia and a Brazil side including Ronaldinho.

Only hours before Barcelona's stadium erupted into samba rhythms, the club said it had signed Brazil defender Juliano Belletti, a member of the 2002 World Cup winning squad, and also said they wanted to buy striker Luis Fabiano from Sao Paulo.

Meanwhile, Barca unceremoniously dumped a raft of Dutch internationals.

The club has not renewed the contracts of Michael Reiziger and captain Philip Cocu and said striker Patrick Kluivert and winger Marc Overmars - who each have a year to run on their contracts - were free to move on.

Some of these signings date back to the stewardship of Dutch coach Louis Van Gaal between 1997 and 2000, when Barca claimed two successive league titles and a King's Cup to secure their position as the most successful Spanish side of the 1990s.

Barca's legendary 'Dream Team' - which won four consecutive league titles between 1991 and 1994 - was coached by Dutch master Johan Cruyff. The crowning moment in the club's history came courtesy of another Dutchman, defender Ronald Koeman, whose free kick clinched the 1992 European Cup at Wembley.

Barcelona, whose motto 'more than a club' celebrates their special place as a symbol of Catalan independence from Spain, have not completely severed their fruitful Dutch connection.

Frank Rijkaard remains the latest in a long line of Dutch coaches, maintaining Barcelona's close ties with Ajax Amsterdam which has acted almost as a feeder club.

The Catalan side also confirmed on Tuesday that Dutch defender Giovanni van Bronckhorst, signed on loan from Arsenal last year, would be staying at the club.

Barcelona are also keen to lock combative midfielder Edgar Davids into a permanent deal, although big-spending sides are in the chase for the Juventus player, whose mid-season arrival at the Nou Camp coincided with Barca's return to form.

Club president Joan Laporta's shopping list also features German international Michael Ballack and France striker David Trezeguet.

Negus

Chevanton Very Close To Juventus

05/27/2004. According to the latest Italian reports, Lecce's forward, Chevanton, who had an excellent season with the southern club, is very close to join Juventus in the next days.

This has been confirmed by Lecce's Sports Director who admitted that Juventus have met Lecce yesterday, even though no agreement has been reached as of yet.

Lecce has apparently asked for aorund 10 million Euros and the loan of Fabrizio Miccoli and so the bianconeri have asked for time to think about it.

Expect more news regarding this transfer negotiation in the coming days.

Negus

Barca chase Bayern misfit Ballack

Barcelona are chasing Germany midfielder Michael Ballack as manager Frank Rijkaard begins to revamp his squad for next season.
The Catalans have already shown the exit door to the Dutch quartet of Patrick Kluivert, Phillip Cocu, Marc Overmars and Michael Reiziger, plus goalkeeper Rustu Recber.

And while Edgar Davids looks set to stay at Camp Nou, Rijkaard is looking to strengthen his midfield resources further with Bayern Munich star Ballack.

Ballack's agent, Michael Becker, confirmed that Barca have made approaches for his client but that a deal needs to be struck with the German club as the midfielder has a contract for two more years.

Bayern president Karl Heinz Rummenigge said if Ballack, who has failed to hit form this season, is unhappy then they would not stand in his way if he wanted to leave.

'If an offer is made for him then we will study it, but for that to happen it has to be serious and adequate, that is to say it has to have a certain level,' he said.

Rummenigge admitted that Bayern are interested Porto midfielder Deco - who scored in his club's Champions League final victory on Wednesday - but do not want to pay more than ?6.7million for him.

Meanwhile, Kluivert has revealed he is waiting for offers from the Premiership after expressing his disappointment at being released by Barcelona.

No decision will be taken on his future until after Euro 2004, but Kluivert said: 'To go and play in England is certainly an option for me, but the options only exist when the offers are on the table.

'Neither me or my agent have had any contact with an English club or any other for that matter. We will consider the offers when they arrive.

'After six years Barca and I will go different ways and I think that it is a good time to look for another club.

'I have always said that England is one of my preferred countries and that I want to play there. There are enough clubs but nothing concrete.'

Negus

Conte leaves Juve as Kapo arrives

MILAN, May 27 (Reuters) - Former Italy midfielder Antonio Conte has left Juventus after 13 seasons with the Serie A club.
The 34-year-old told Italian news agency ANSA on Thursday that he had turned down a new offer with the Turin side.

Conte's exit comes as French midfielder Olivier Kapo completed his move from AJ Auxerre to Juve.

The Italians said on their website Kapo had visited the club and tied up the final details of his move to the Delle Alpi.

The 27-times Italian champions are without a coach after Marcello Lippi left the club at the end of the season.

They are expected to announce an appointment in the next week with Monaco's French coach, former Juve midfielder Didier Deschamps, widely tipped for the job.

Conte, who has suffered a series of injuries in the past four seasons, said the offer he had received from Juve was 'inadequate' but added that 'maybe it was the right decision because we have reached the end of a cycle'.

The midfielder, who joined Juventus from Lecce in November 1991 and made 20 appearances for Italy, said he was not sure if he would continue his playing career.

'I haven't decided whether to give up playing or not because I am a little confused about my future. It is certain though that either this year or the next I want to start my career as a coach,' he said.

Kapo is Juve's second French signing of the close season following the arrival of defender Jonathan Zebina from Roma.

Negus

Bayern Complete Lucio Capture

05/27/2004. Bayern Munich have completed the signing of Bayer Leverkusen's Brazilian defender Lucio.

The World Cup winner signed a three-year deal with the Bavarians in Munich on Thursday. The transfer fee payable to Leverkusen is ?12 milion.

Bayern Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge expressed his pleasure at the deal "We're delighted to have brought off this transfer." Lucio completed medical examinations at the club on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Lucio is the first new Bayern signing under coach Felix Magath. Porto's Champions League star Deco is expected to follow in the coming weeks

Negus

Python Porto Pounce For Pot

05/26/2004. FC Porto of Portugal are the new European Club Champions after beating AS Monaco 3-0 in the final of the Champions League in Gelsenkirchen tonight.

The Portuguese champions strangled the life out of a game Monaco in a fashion that has become their signature this season. Having withstood early Monaco endeavour, Porto took a decisive lead six minutes before the interval when 19- year-old Carlos Alberto instinctively volleyed past a stranded Fabio Roma after hesitation in the Monagasque defence. For Monaco, the dye was cast, as influential playmaker Ludovic Giuly had left the field with injury just ten minutes earlier.

Despite much midfield possession, Monaco rarely threatened Vitor Baia's goal in the second half, and were picked off on the break with 20 minutes keft by substiture Dmitri Alenichev who pulled a wonderful ball back to Deco on the edge of the penalty box. With two defenders floundering, Deco put Roma the wrong way with a decisive strike inside the left-hand post.

By now the Portuguese were liberated from their smothering defensive hard-work, and came out to play in celebration of their impending ascent to champion status. Four minutes after setting-up the second, Alenichev himself ran on to a deflected through ball by Derlei and hammered a fierce shot past Roma for the final goal.

Monaco could feel slightly hard done-by at 3-0, but in the final analysis, the tactics of coach Jose Mourinho and the tireless dedication of his side had set the platform for the flair players to exploit defensive frailties that opened once Monaco had to chase the game.

The victory is Porto's second European Cup - the first coming in 1987 - and their second European trophy in 12 months having won the UEFA

Negus

Porto left to face up to the future

GELSENKIRCHEN, Germany, May 27 (Reuters) - Porto were still in a state of euphoria on Thursday after winning the European Cup for the second time with a 3-0 victory over Monaco that will live long in the memory of their fans.
The Portuguese champions will have to face up to reality soon enough, however, with inspirational coach Jose Mourinho and many of the club's best players set to leave before the start of the new season.

'We have an inexhaustible appetite for titles,' Porto's football director Reinaldo Teles told Lusa news agency when the team arrived back in northern Portugal in the early hours of Thursday morning.

'The important thing now is to celebrate and then start to plan the conquest of new trophies, starting with the Super Cup against Valencia.'

Porto have every right to enjoy their moment of glory but they will face a far harder task when they begin next season without the architect of their success.

Mourinho said after the game that he was anxious to take up a coaching job in England, presumably at Chelsea.

The handsome 41-year-old turned Porto into European champions thanks to his eye for a bargain in the transfer market, meticulous planning ahead of matches and sheer force of personality.

ERA ENDS

It is possible that his replacement, whoever he is, will prove to be just as successful but the coach's post-match comments seemed almost to admit that it was the end of an era for Porto as well as himself.

'I told the players before the game that they had better finish the match with a good memory of it,' Mourinho said.

'We'll never forget this day. We made history for Porto, so let me enjoy the moment.'

Porto are renowned as the best-run club in Portugal, with a popular and successful president in Jorge Pinto da Costa.

But after spending 125 million euros ($152.1 million) on their new Dragao stadium the club will be in no position to turn down big offers for their best players.

Bayern Munich have reportedly made a bid for Deco Souza, scorer of the second goal against Monaco, and the Brazilian-born Portuguese international also seemed ready to leave.

'It will be very hard to go but we'll have to see the situation in the coming days,' Deco said.

Ricardo Carvalho, who had an immense game at centre-back, Brazilian teenager Carlos Alberto, who set Porto on their way with a brilliant opening strike, and fast-improving midfielder Maniche Ribeiro will also be on the wish lists of many clubs.

'It's going to be hard to do better than this,' captain Jorge Costa acknowledged after the game. 'There'll be time to think about next season but now is the moment to celebrate.'

Porto fans will still be celebrating when their ground stages Portugal against Greece in the opening match at Euro 2004 in a little over two weeks.

Whether they have as much to cheer about next season is another matter entirely.