News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Should the latest hausa music exisit?

Started by yarimahajj, July 15, 2004, 09:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarimahajj

Salam,
Dear members send in ur views to this topic, SHOULD THE LATEST HAUSA MUSIC EXISIT? as there are so many critisims concerning the isure! please send in ur quates. for or agenst this topic. and please with reasons.

yarimahajj!
ajj salisu on the run, with great knowledge on political science and sociaology, and also loveing and careing!

gogannaka

From my understanding, I think yarimahajj is referring to the young Hausa music artists that perform Hausa movie soundtracks.
Personally I enjoy some of their songs to some extent and I would be happy if they get the encouragement they need.

I am very much aware of the fact that the new wave of the so called ?Hausa music? does not match the traditional Hausa music and hence does not comply with the original Hausa tradition. But one must come to terms with the silent and forceful changes the original Hausa tradition is undergoing.

For instance, what would one say are the traditional Hausa musical instruments? They are the likes of the ka?kaki, algaita, duma, kalangu, kuntigi, goge and some few more. Quite honestly the new Hausa music hardly has any of these instruments in it.

From the little I know during my secondary school days, Hausa musicians are categorised according the type of music they play. There are the ?makadan fada?, makadan gangi, makadan raha, and some more. The new Hausa music does not fall into any category above because their music is a new type that came to light some few years ago (7-10 yrs) and also the music has mostly the touch of the electronic keyboard instead of the traditional Hausa instruments. Some might say that because of these facts that the new Hausa music is not traditional or it is not even Hausa at all. But to face the reality, most of the songs reflect the original Hausa poetry. The stanza and chorus are also most of the time traditional. Take for instance songs such as ?sangaya? by Misbahu Ahmed or? Wakar jinjina by the same person.

The point I want to make is that these new songs have forcefully been integrated into the Hausa tradition. So instead of condemning the wave of Hausa music, we should instead put hands together to re-integrate the original Hausa traditional songs and music into the new/modern Hausa songs or vice-versa. This can only be done when the traditional musicians and modern musicians work together not only to make money but to professionalize and modernize the traditional Hausa music.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Anonymous