News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Computer Networks

Started by zezezee, February 08, 2004, 01:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zezezee

Talk about computer networks here ppl.

I just thot it will be educative to talk about the different types of computer networks we have around.

Firstly I will talk about CSMA/CD:
CSMA/CD stands for Carrier Sense Multiple Access / Collision Domain. When u have computers on a network, having this type of logical topology, each computer trying to send information on the network first listens on the channel of the network for any other computer transmitting on the network (Carrier Sensing). If the network is free, then it goes ahead and sends the data across to the destination. But if the network is occupied, then there will be wat is called a "Collision". Then this computer will wait for a random amount of time before it tries sensing the network for retransmission. Hence, the name Collision Domain, the segment of the network on which u have computers sharing the same media upon which there is a probability of a collision occuring.

The overall throughput of a network having this type of topology depends on the number of nodes (computers) trying to transmit or sharing the same domain. A method of increasing the throughput is by segmenting the network into more collision domains but having the same broadcast domain. I guess this brings us to another discussion right?  ;D . Think about Broadcast Domains as domains having a lesser probality of a collision accuring. Logically bigger so as to say. Segmenting a Collision Domain into a Broadcast Domain involves the use of devices called Switches or Bridges, and/or Routers. Routers can even actually seperate Broadcast Domains into non-collision zones. Switches and Bridges perform the same functions but only that Switches are hardware based while Bridges are software based, and consequently faster of course.

CSMA/CD networks have their applications in Ethernet LANs, Sattelite Communications, etc.
 just realised that nothing is what it seems.

kofa

for beginners how can we start? n we need step by step lesson man.coz we r not networkers.hahha.
n GOD i trust

gogannaka

Gaskiya kam!! anyway from the little you've said,is it like pinging or what?And pls differentiate btw network and hosts in I.P sharing.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

ajingi

Hahaha!!
zezezee, honestly Kofa is right, you write as if you are giving the highlight of the topic. from little I know on networking.

Networking deals with interconnected groups of machines talking with each other. Is a very different field than operating systems. Have a lot of standards stuff because everyone must agree on what to do when connect machines together.
? ? ? ?What is a network? A collection of machines, links and switches set up so that machines can communicate with each other. Some examples:
o ? ? ?Telephone system. Machines are telephones, links are the telephone lines and switches are the phone switches.
o ? ? ?Ethernet. Machines are computers, there is one link (the ethernet) and no switches.
o ? ? ?Internet. Machines are computers, there are multiple links, both long-haul and local-area links. The switches are gateways.
Message may have to traverse multiple links and multiple switches to go from source to destination.
? ? ? ?Circuit-switched versus Packet-switched networks. Basic disadvantage of circuit-switched networks - cannot use resources flexibly. Basic advantage of circuit-switched networks - deliver a guaranteed resource.
below is the basic Networking Concepts:
o ? ? ?Packetization.
o ? ? ?Addressing.
o ? ? ?Routing.
o ? ? ?Buffering.
o ? ? ?Congestion.
o ? ? ?Flow control.
o ? ? ?Unreliable Delivery.
o ? ? ?Fragmentation.

Is't okay for u guys? hahaha!!
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

Anonymous