News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Kanoute Crowned Glo-CAF African Footballer of the Year 2007

Started by Muhsin, February 06, 2008, 02:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhsin

Kanoute Crowned Glo-CAF African Footballer of the Year 2007

Republic of Togo (Lomé)

NEWS
3 February 2008
Posted to the web 4 February 2008

Malian striker Frederic Kanoute was Friday named the Glo-CAF African footballer of the year 2007. Kanoute, who becomes the second Malian after the legendary Salif Keita to receiv e the topmost individual prize in African football, beat last year's winner Didi e r Drogba of Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana's Michael Essien to the title.

At the well attended ceremony at the Palais des Congres here, the announcement o f Kanoute as the winner was greeted with chants and shouts from the enthusiastic crowd who had been anxiously waiting for that moment.

Dressed in an all-white Islamic attire, an overwhelmed Kanoute walked up to rece ive his award from Togo Prime Minister, Komlan Mally, who was assisted by CAF Pr e sident, Issa Hayatou.

The Glo-CAF Awards 2007, sponsored by telecommunication giants, Globacom in coll aboration with the continent's soccer controlling body, CAF, was to reward Afric a n footballers and officials who excelled during the year under review.

In his welcome address, the Glo Chief Executive, Dr. Mike Adenuga Jr., assured o f the continued support for the development of football on the continent, and co n gratulated the founders of CAF for their vision and tenacity during the formativ e years.

Other award winners were Clifford Mulenga - Young Player of the Year, Cynthia Uwak of Nigeria - Female Footballer of the Year, Armine Cherimiti - Inter-Club Player of the Year, Yemi Tella - Coach of the Year, Etoile du Sahel - Club of the Year Cote D'ivoire - National team of the Year.

The Glo-CAF Merit Order of Achievement went to former Black Stars of Ghana coach , Charles Kumi Gyamfi, with the President of Togo, Mr. Faure Nyasingbe, receivin g the Glo-CAF Platinum Award for 2007.

Also, the top 10 players in Africa during the last five decades were also honour ed.

Nigerian celebrated highlife artist, King Sunny Ade, King Mensah from Togo, Vick y Sampson and trio group, Three Tons, ensured guests had the best form of entert a inment during the award ceremony, the third to be sponsored by Globacom

The following are all the winners

Best Player of the Year - Frederic Kanoute

Young Player of the Year - Clifford Mulenga

Female Footballer of the Year - Cynthia Uwak of Nigeria

Inter-Club Player of the Year - Armine Chermiti (Etoile du Sahel)

Coach of the Year - Yemi Tella (who died after leading Nigeria to the 2007 U-17 world cup)

Club of the Year - Etoile du Sahel

National team of the Year - Cote d'Ivoire

Best Suppporters Club - Ghana Supporters Club

Best Ten players of the last 50 years

(Abedi Pele, Samuel Eto'o. Mahmoud El Khatib, Hossam Hassan, Roger Milla, Kalusha Bwalya, George Weah, Rabah Madjerm Didier Drogba, Nwankwo Kanu)

Glo-CAF Merit Order of Achievement - Charles Kumi Gyamfi Glo-CAF Platinum Award for 2007 - President Faure Nyasingbe

Don't know or because I'm not watching club sites games, but I was absolutely astounded by that choice of Kanoute as the African footballer of the year. Look at his perfomance in that ongoing Nations Cup, pls. He did very poor as well as his team of Mali. They couldn't even make it out of zone. Who actually I was thinking and believed would be awared this crown is Drogba. I don't have to say how he's been perfoming in both here in African games and in his Chelsea club.

Any way, I won't even call my self rookie in that field of fooball but a complete illeterate individual. But I want to know; what criteriom do these folks looked at before arriving at conclusion of chosing Kanoute as the African Footballer of the year please? Can anyone help...waiting.

*edit*
Am atleast happy for him because he's a Muslim and even when he came up to recieve the award, as they said, appeared his full Islamic attire. So congrats! But that notwithstanding, whats your views, comment, criticism or observations?

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

bakangizo

Kanoute's won because he had a brilliant year with his club Sevilla, winning the UEFA Cup, the Copa del Rey, and the Spanish Super Cup. He was also basically the backbone of the club's league success story in the last two seasons. For instance he almost singlehandedly carried Sevilla's title chase into the final day of the last season. So one can say Kanounte has lifted Sevilla from obscurity to prominence and has been a good african ambassador in deeds and character. Do you know that he bought a mosque in Spain with almost an equivalent of his one year's salary? There could not have been a better choice. He derserved it.

Muhsin

Thanks for that 'welsaid' explantion, BKG. Thats the essence of asking question because, before, I'd never known nor heard of such great achievements of Kanoute. Only know him, well partially in Nation Cup and few games I could vaguely recall I watch some times ago.

And I've heard of that he bought a mosque in Spain. But don't know the amout are such huge. May Allah continue guiding, supporting and helping him achieve more of such.

Thanks once aagain.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

lionger

Na wa for CAF mago-mago. I believe Drogba actually won the APOY but was dropped because he refused to go to the award ceremony in Togo in the middle of the tourney. Why hold an awards ceremony in Togo during an ANC tourney in Ghana for that matter? This APOY award is becoming a joke.

Muhsin

Though it's been long since your reply was posted, lionger, but I'll like to say something on it. And that is it made me smile. LOL ;D ;D ;D