News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Is El-Rufa'i a Nigerian?

Started by alhaji_aminu, August 27, 2004, 04:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alhaji_aminu

salam

I was reading through today's edition of daily trust and I saw this very provocative headline: I?m accountable to Obasanjo not Senate . Knowing how journalists sensationalize headlines, newsreports etc to sell there papers, I decided to try another medium. I went to the punch website to confirm what the daily trust reported.

Quoted directly, Mr El-Rufai said, gloatingly,   I will not be accountable to anyone but the President and I will keep on doing my job. Since my first engagement with the Senate, I know that for the next few years, they will be trying to find something wrong with me. . Give me a break!

I mean anyone who is sane enough to be made a minister must have known that Chapter 5, part 1, section 147, subsection 2 states, specifically to whom a minister is accountable. And that El-rufa'i is saying he is only accountable to Baba really makes me wonder if he is a Nigerian. Has he forgotten which institution appropriates the funds he uses to run his ministry? If he hasn't, then can he deny that he is NOT accountable to those who fund his work?

Funny enough, even OBJ, whom el-rufai is accountable to, is accountable, to some degree, to the people of whom the senate and the house is composed of.

El-rufai has made a name for himself being this macho incorruptible guy. And I am happy for him. But that does not say anything, absolutely nothing, about his knowledge of the law. To scold and shame the legislature like el-rufai did will certainly have meant his end as a cabinet minster had he been in the USA. Luckily enough for us, our is still a nascent democracy and as such even the ranting of a lay man in power are considered proper conduct.

El-rufai needs to slow down. He needs to realize that being good at some aspect doesn't translate to being good at all aspects. He made a blunder and no amount of spin can extricate him from the situation. Unlike him, who believes the best answer to a fool (senate) is silence, I believe we must bring him to account by talking about the issue.  Appologies to the Congress is in order. The congress is the people and we, the people, are waiting.............

Written by lay man wanting to become a jurist.

Bissalam

kitkat

You know i've been worried about El Rufai's posturing lately.I mean fine. the guys proving to be a no nonsense, hard hitting over achiever but i'm beginning to wonder whether he's not beginning to enjoy controversy and is actually courting it in most cases.

I think the Nigerian press is also to blame. They are quick to create heroes and then go to town creating a news item out of every mundane thing that occurs within 10 square feet of "their man".

There are actually a lot of El Rufais within the public service, not all of them priviledged to be super ministers with full authority and backing by Baba himself, and certainly not having the priviledge of their every breath reported as headline news, but nonetheless carrying out their duty diligentlly and as directed by their conscience.

Remember this is a country where a a taxi driver returning money left by a passenger makes headline news, and the man is paraded and rewarded by all manner of institutions, as if he was supposed to keep the money in the first place.

One thing I havent heard El Rufai respond to, to date is his thoughts on the fact that even though he refused to bribe his confirmation at the senate, it was paid on his behalf, and the proof is there in black and white via Habib Bank draft collected by Zwingina.  Is he saying his principled mind accepts that it's ok as long as the money is coming from some one else?

I also believe that he may inadvertently be playing the role of hatchet man without realising it, and unfortunately his "boss" is not averse to leaving his minions in the lurch when they have delivered and are no longer relevant. We shall see!

alhaji_aminu

well said kitkat; but can you elaborate on the role of the press in creating and destroying heroess in Ngeria?

SAAHIB 92

Funny enough, even OBJ, whom el-rufai is accountable to, is accountable, to some degree, to the people of whom the senate and the house is composed of. ( onto what degree does BABA IYABO is accountable to in the house :?:

am sure EL-RUFA'I has some bubble to chew that's why he is making all this statement.....noise? cos' he is assured that he is dealin with incompetent corrupt senate or so called honourables when there is no honour, so i think EL- RUFA'I is not an allien or foreign body but a real naija man......that's the way cookie crumbles
Radina billahi Rabban,
Wa bil Islami Dinan,
Wa bi Muhammadin Nabiyya!"

ABBAS A YAKASAI

_Waziri_

I think  the development now is the Senate had already given OBJ some 48 hours within which they want him unseated or they take a serious action against OBJ himself. OBJ tendered a letter of apology to them on behalf of El-Rufa i but  the Senate don't like that. They insist it is El-Rufa'i they want out and nothing short of that.

Actually El-Rufa'i was wrong to have ascribed foolishness to the Senate ppl among whome there are ppl who are old enough to be his parents and above alll some of them are of sound ethical background, their achievements in life and their records of services to the Nigerian community are most impecabble than that of El-Rufa'i.

But yet the Senators may not have full moral right to demand for the "head" of El-Rufa'i now that he  is at it with them. They should have demanded for the heads of  so many people in the past who helped and are still helping OBJ to implement his anti-ppl policies. They should have demanded for the head of OBJ himself. I thiink we can conviniently conclude by saying  : all is a case of chickens coming home to roast.

On the lighter side of the discussion I will incline to  look for some fight here. El-Rufa'i in this government represents the mysterious Zaria factor at play in every Nigerian political setting. You always find a Zaria man in every Nigerian government who can dare every body and nothing can be done about him. Remember the Umaru Dikko of the second republic? Remember Gidado Idris in Abacha's time? Remember Aliyu Jama'a in Babangida's time? So the next time you become Nigerian president remember to give a Zaria man some extra-power to anchor your government. If not ..... then you just have have to forget all  the glories coming your way. You can see had it not for El-Rufa'i, OBJ wouldn't have anything 2 show Nigerians as achievements!
Up Zaria people!!!!!!

alhaji_aminu

salam

I dont think it is a prudent move to intimidate a minster like the Senate did yesterday. Yes El-rufai is arrogant, hardheaded and abrasive but that is not enough reason to call for a minister's sack. Especially if we are to way the cost-benefit ratio. His reform activities, whether ill advised or ill conceived are a welcome development and his removal will wittle away the momentum he is building...

Yallabai Waziri i dont really think you believe that, "They( the senate) should have demanded for the head of OBJ himself." in response to El-Rufa'i's outburst. Smell kinda like visiting the sin of the father on the son. I do believe, however, that the Senate can ask for Obasanjo's head-not the Okija way, based on things like: the deteriorating security situation in the country, turning the otherway regarding corruption and corrupt officials, clamping down on the CNPP ooposition.... etc. I guess this is what you meant. Right?

Amma lalle Waziri ka birge ni in analysing how the yan Zaria factor is in play in Nigerian politics. What do you think is responsible for this? And are you the next in line when Buhari becomes president in 2007?

Ciao

_Waziri_

QuoteI do believe, however, that the Senate can ask for Obasanjo's head-not the Okija way, based on things like: the deteriorating security situation in the country, turning the otherway regarding corruption and corrupt officials, clamping down on the CNPP ooposition.... etc. I guess this is what you meant. Right?

Yes Aminuddeen, this is the point. I really did not mean to say they should visit the sin of El-Rufai on the president.

Buhari may not likely give me the chance to be that Zaria man who will anchor the achievements of his government since there are many ppl who are by far my seniors  in the ladder. Afterall I dont pray the present Nigerian political structure survives the days to 2007. By 2007 we should be thinking of a restructured Nigeria or at least the independent nation of Usmaniyya Republic. lol

Anyway on a more serious note, I think Zaria ppl have a long history of prudence in public  service. I think there is this attributey of decency and apt sense of responsibility, predating even the 18th century Jihad, with Zaria ppl. The culture in Zaria city trumpets " you are only man enough only when you can keep to your words and are able to deliver when trusted". Our ppl can win trust and they can be faithful. This is not to say others cannot but it says it has always been the vogue in Zaria city. I hope we will not change forever.

SAAHIB 92

THE WAZIRI OF OUR TIME  :lol: WHAT U VE' SAID ABT EL-RUFA'I WAS VERY TRUE N I SUPPORT IT 55%.........THE REST KUWA WILL COME UP LATTER KEEP UR FLAG PLAYIN ZAZZAGAWA.......HE WHO HAS SMTHN ABT U SHOULD COME FORWARD N EXPRESS.FAILURE TO THAT MEANS ......GUESS WHAT :idea: CATCH ME IF U CAN !!! BIRNIN DABO WIZ LOVE.

MA'ASSALAM
Radina billahi Rabban,
Wa bil Islami Dinan,
Wa bi Muhammadin Nabiyya!"

ABBAS A YAKASAI