News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

All Hausa film Fans convo...

Started by Dante, September 04, 2004, 03:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think is the best actor/actress?

Dan Ibro
3 (30%)
Ibrahim Mandawari
1 (10%)
Ali Nuhu
4 (40%)
Saima Mohammed
2 (20%)
Farida Jalal
0 (0%)
Hadiza Kabara
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 15, 2005, 07:05:11 PM

Anonymous

Quote from: "Anonymous"
Yeah i agree with inter cultural fusion and as u put it "it's oky to borrow

1 or 2 thingz" but these days what they add r somehow beyond "1

or 2 things". The songs sound really nice but they are not always very

original. U see in after watching one movie i think it's Khusufi, i went to an

indian place and they were playing Bollywood soundtracks i tell u da song

was exactly da same! same tune, same beat, same instrument, same

everything, only difference was da lyrics. And another one is Nelly & Kelly

Dilemma, also da same beat and da same "gangster dressing" do rags,

dog chains etc etc dat is so not hausa! Infact, dat one don pass be

careful! if we want to have songs and dancing scenes, fine, be more

creative and original.
Glad to finally meet someone who watches the films and so can talk authoritatively (I guess) about them :lol:  Khusufi was a very nice film. Don't know which of the songs you are talking about but I agree it was most likely "crafted" from an indian song. Still there are a lot that have originality. And yes, that "Nelly & Kelly" one is way too bad :roll:  Thanks for your sensible contribution.

Fateez

Quote from: "Anonymous"Banning songs won't be the ultimate solution they assumed it to be. These film producers/actors/actresses are business people and for them, like all business men, the overriding factor in any venture is the returns (profit). Sour as it taste to some, the fact is that these songs are what sell the films! Why? Because the market for these films largely consist of young people (mostly women) who love these songs and consider them the in-thing now. A case in point is how these songs revolutionalize the advertisements in our radio stations. This has economic importance, in case those dudes don't know. Ban these songs and other features and the industry would certainly be moribund! Is the government prepared to cater for the thousands who are presently gainfully employed in the industry? The only person who made any sensible statement regarding this issue is governor Ibrahim Shekarau who allegedly said "karatun fim yafi karatun zaman banza!".

All those screaming for one surgery or the other in hausa films do not even constitute 4% of of the patronizers of the films. Most of them are just "modern day" critics who revel in arm-chair criticisms. For God's sake if you don't like the songs fast-forward them, and if you don't even watch them, then what's your problem? What beats is how suddenly hausa film bashing is the vogue now :?  If our governments are seriuos about social malaise there are more important issues to confront like prostitution, begging, unemployment, hooliganism etc etc etc! Other societies would be proud of such things. But no, in our case, we have to "kill" it! Gyara yana da kyau amma ayi a hankali dai!!!

True, banning songs might not be da answer. I dont have a problem with

da songs, i have a problem with da dancing. I like it when i watch Naija

movies {southern} don't u just love da soundtracks? don't u like da way

they use it to add life to da movie? Don't u luv da originality of da songs?

every movie they act has a unique melody. it's better put that way. I luv

da originality of da songs. They don't spend time jumping up and down da

place, but yet people still luv da movies. I think hausa movies can do dat

as well. Come to think of it, i think da movie producers have indirectly

sent a subliminal message to our brains and convinced us dat if there is

no song in a movie, then movie is not worth watching. which is so wrong.

Consider da fact dat many different people have different moral values,

some may love the movies but not da dancing while some may have no

problem at all. There have been wonderful movies dat have no dancing

scenes. Have u seen da movie Amina? da one with Kasimu Yero and Pete

Edochie? Now dats a movie! Dats a typical example of taking 1 or 2

thingys from another culture. Dat is a wonderful movie.

One thing u shud remember is dat reducing da rate of other terrible

issues doesn't mean neglecting some moral aspects of our tradition. :!:

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fateez"

I think what you are forgetting is the root-cause of all these features. If you cast your mind back to the past you realised that Indian movies are patronized mainly in Northern Nigeria. In fact they don't watch them in the south. It's like there is a subtle cultural similarity between hausa and indian cultures. A nan wake-waken suka samo asali. A perusal of nigerian (home videos) movies would tell you that they tend to tilt towards American/English cultures. What with all the on-camera kissing, shooting, explicit sex scenes, e.t.c.

bakangizo

Fateez

Quote from: "Anonymous"

I think what you are forgetting is the root-cause of all these features. If you cast your mind back to the past you realised that Indian movies are patronized mainly in Northern Nigeria. In fact they don't watch them in the south. It's like there is a subtle cultural similarity between hausa and indian cultures. A nan wake-waken suka samo asali. A perusal of nigerian (home videos) movies would tell you that they tend to tilt towards American/English cultures. What with all the on-camera kissing, shooting, explicit sex scenes, e.t.c.

I'm not saying we should copy these movies, i'm not saying we shud

copy the western culture at all! what i am saying is dat i like da way they

arrange their songs, there r no dancing scenes but yet it still blends in.

Dats it. And yes, people in da south do watch Bollywood movies. And da

similarity b/w hausawa and hindi isn't very much.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

bakangizo

Am only trying to  provide my humble opinion of why the songs in hausa movies in the first place. Yeah, they watch hindi movies in the south but the percentage is so negligible. Do you know there was a time Nigeria ranked among the top 4 countries in the comsumption of indian films :roll: And the bulk of these films come to the north. The similarity b/w hausa & Indian culture might not be much, but I think the key issue here there is a similarity, compared to the western culture. So there are no dancing in naija movies 'cos from the beginning they are not used to them, film-wise :wink:

Fateez

Quote from: "Bakan~Gizo"

Am only trying to  provide my humble opinion of why the songs in hausa movies in the first place. Yeah, they watch hindi movies in the south but the percentage is so negligible. Do you know there was a time Nigeria ranked among the top 4 countries in the comsumption of indian films :roll: And the bulk of these films come to the north. The similarity b/w hausa & Indian culture might not be much, but I think the key issue here there is a similarity, compared to the western culture. So there are no dancing in naija movies 'cos from the beginning they are not used to them, film-wise :wink:

So u now agree to da fact dat we r not just borrowing things but we r

copying ba? It's not a matter of topping da trend. U see according to

Frank Moore Colby, " some of the best reasons I ever had

for remaining at the bottom simply by looking at the men at the top". Dat

is so true, if u dont learn to make da most of wat u have, then u aint

going nowhere. Don't 4get dat imitation belittles oneself.

Mr kunte

Bakin gizo, are you trying to say that hausa movies suck?

gogannaka

Quote from: "Mr kunte"Bakin gizo, are you trying to say that hausa movies suck?

No that is not what he is trying to say..Be patient and read through the posts thoroughly.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

bakangizo

So u now agree to da fact dat we r not just borrowing things but we r

copying ba? It's not a matter of topping da trend. U see according to

Frank Moore Colby, " some of the best reasons I ever had

for remaining at the bottom simply by looking at the men at the top". Dat

is so true, if u dont learn to make da most of wat u have, then u aint

going nowhere. Don't 4get dat imitation belittles oneself.

Copying/Borrowing!. Is there really a difference in this context? Carefully go thru my posts again. The points am trying to make summarily are:

1. Agreed singing and dancing in hausa films are borrowed (or copied if that would make you happier) from indian films.

2. The root-cause of this, in my humble opinion, is the somewhat close "affinity" hausas have with indian movies for decades (memories of those days we stayed late at night to watch the weekly indian feature film at CTV 67)

3. Hausa films are not the only, neither would they be the last, to borrow/copy foreign cultures into their films. The home videos or nigerian films are full of western cultures, while the indian films now tend to look American, e.t.c

4. This is not to say borrowing/coping other cultures is the best thing to do but that it is inevitable. You can't run away from that. From the way you talk, walk, eat, behave e.t.c.

bakangizo

Quote from: "Mr kunte"Bakin gizo, are you trying to say that hausa movies suck?
No, Mr Kunte. On the contrary, I think they are doing their best and improving. There are lots of imperfections in the industry and need polishing, just like in every other aspects of our society. What they deserve is our encouragement, not open hostility, threats and insults. I say kudos to them for surviving in an "un-believing" society (laughs).

Hausanicious

Going by the thread of this topic I can say that I support Hausa Films 95%. When you want to criticize try to look at the advantage and the disadvantage of it, compare and contrast then when the disadvantage is heavier then u can hate it.

Before Hausa films was introduced, you will hear alot of us miming Indian songs and mind you on their songs they may be serving their Hindu Gods and a Muslim will be following them, enjoying their lyrics, if I may ask do you think this can be present in Hausa Films?

There was a time when Nigerian or rather Ibgo/Yoruba films was reigning and alot of us here in the North were copying what those people are portraying in there films which if not because of Hausa films alot of our moral Values, Culture and behaviour will have vanish by now.

Let not try to look it in terms of Ali Nuhu, Dan Ibro or Maishinku but try to look at the good behaviour which they try to teach us. As some body said if you don't like the music just Fast forward it, and if their is no Music in their films I tell you they are not going to sell them.

Hausa film has improve our marketting strategies cos, the quality of Production, Job Opprtunity, Skills in Art fields and numerous of them to mention.

Hausa film producers are always seeking for advice on anything they do, and they always call our attention for support and good avice towards what they should do so as to improve and maintain Hausa culture.  

So to me when I look at this aspects I will say more Kudos to their activities.
Say no Evil and Do no Evil unto Me,   Kunji Ko!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hausanicious"Going by the thread of this topic I can say that I support Hausa Films 95%. When you want to criticize try to look at the advantage and the disadvantage of it, compare and contrast then when the disadvantage is heavier then u can hate it.

Before Hausa films was introduced, you will hear alot of us miming Indian songs and mind you on their songs they may be serving their Hindu Gods and a Muslim will be following them, enjoying their lyrics, if I may ask do you think this can be present in Hausa Films?

There was a time when Nigerian or rather Ibgo/Yoruba films was reigning and alot of us here in the North were copying what those people are portraying in there films which if not because of Hausa films alot of our moral Values, Culture and behaviour will have vanish by now.

Let not try to look it in terms of Ali Nuhu, Dan Ibro or Maishinku but try to look at the good behaviour which they try to teach us. As some body said if you don't like the music just Fast forward it, and if their is no Music in their films I tell you they are not going to sell them.

Hausa film has improve our marketting strategies cos, the quality of Production, Job Opprtunity, Skills in Art fields and numerous of them to mention.

Hausa film producers are always seeking for advice on anything they do, and they always call our attention for support and good avice towards what they should do so as to improve and maintain Hausa culture.  

So to me when I look at this aspects I will say more Kudos to their activities.
That was a good post. :lol:  You've said it all. I keep telling people at least now you have a film to call your own. Not to mention the economically related advantages. As you rightly pointed out, before the advent of hausa films we were left watching/admiring igbo and yoruba films as if we don't have the intellect to produce ours. Another important issue you raised is that if  people have problem with the actors why not rather consider the messages in the films and not the personal characteristics of the actors. In other words, "think the message, not the messenger".

neozizo

just to officially declare that i am a member of the crowd who HATE hausa homeVs.
They absolutely do NOT potray our good culture but rather they  tarnish our image
they are most times morally inadequate not to mention religiously bankrupt
most non-kanawas i meet expect that i think an act like a character in a typical hausa homveV
this pisses me off!!
they should either be banned or they get their act together.

mlbash

Quote from: "zizo"just to officially declare that i am a member of the crowd who HATE hausa homeVs.
They absolutely do NOT potray our good culture but rather they  tarnish our image
they are most times morally inadequate not to mention religiously bankrupt
most non-kanawas i meet expect that i think an act like a character in a typical hausa homveV
this pisses me off!!
they should either be banned or they get their act together.

that's sounds more like me but too rigid, i'd rather have them rehabilitated, so that they potray the real hausa/fulani cultures.
t is my intention to make the neglected aspect of our societies viable