News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Dangote, Usman, Others Move to Save Kano

Started by mallamt, September 25, 2004, 10:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mallamt

Dangote, Usman, Others Move to Save Kano
ThisDay News 24/9/04

Worried by recurrent violent crisis in Kano, of the state led by Dr Shamsuddeen Usman (Deputy Governor CBN) have initiated a forum called Kano Peace and Development Initiative (KPD1), with a view to bringing a lasting solution to the problem.

Addressing newsmen yesterday in Kano, Usman, who is the chairman of the group said they were out to promote and support harmonious co-existence among different communities in the state.

He said the initiative is organising a two-day peace conference, "as a well-considered response to the periodic eruptions of communal violence in Kano."

He said the peace forum would bring together all stakeholders or their representatives, as well as seasoned scholars to examine the remote and immediate causes of the problem, adding that, "it is hoped that enduring solutions, which will lead to a solid foundation for peace in the state would be achieved.

Those behind KPDI, according to him, are Alhaji Aliko Dangote, Alhaji Bashir Tofa and Professor Bello Salim.

Others include Professor Anwalu Yadudu, Professor Munzali Jibril and Alhaji A. B. Mahmud (SAN).

Commenting on the initiative, Jibril, who was the former Nigerian Universities Commission (NUC) Chairman said "we reject violence in its totality. We were not part of it and we are for peace. Indeed we are determined to make sure that it will not hapen again."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is very heartening to see that some people are veiwing the persistent circle of violence and or unrest (please the term persistence is used here to refer to the general frequency of unrest in comparison to other major centres in nigeria resulting in the "high risk" tag attached to Kano in some circles) seriously to warrant the set up of some kind of a forum.  This group should be encouraged and supported by all Kano residents.  It will however strengthen this forum if it is constitution reflects the profile of kano residents.

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
Yes, this is a laudable initiative by the concern citizens of Kano may Allah (SWT) guide them in their efforts.

I also hope the Solomon Lars. Jangs, and other war-lords in Jos will have a re-think and give peace a chance in Plateau state. The merciless killings of non-christians in Plateau State could cause great damage to our Country people should accept the fact they could never be forver relevant in Nigerian politics.
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

mallamt

Quote from: "EMTL"Assalamu alaikum,
Yes, this is a laudable initiative by the concern citizens of Kano may Allah (SWT) guide them in their efforts.

I also hope the Solomon Lars. Jangs, and other war-lords in Jos will have a re-think and give peace a chance in Plateau state. The merciless killings of non-christians in Plateau State could cause great damage to our Country people should accept the fact they could never be forver relevant in Nigerian politics.
I would like it very much if we keep our focus on violence irrespective of who it is perpetuated by, if we look at the article and my comments there is no attempt to attribute the violence to any one group. Merciless killings in nigeria have occured between muslims and non muslims, christians and non christians, muslims and muslims, christians and christians.  Indeed we must all give the initiative our support and also participate, this will ensure that understanding between groups is created and respect for each other developed.  It is very true that these violent acts do not only damage our image as a people (Kano citizens and residents) but they also damage our image as a country.

alhaji_aminu

salam

I agree with mallamt in this respect. lets kinda limit the discussion on this topic to issues dealing with the peace, prosperity and injustice in the Kano environs.....

I note, however, that half of the people mentioned as being part of the KDPI are not currently having their primary residencies in Kano. I am not sure how this will impact their effectiveness in discharging their goals.

I wish them luck.

SAAHIB 92

assalam,
all thanks be to god, this  really is very good initiative  but the ppl headng the programmes are the main concern , how committed are they? being most of them were not here residing with us. any way we wish them allah's guidance.
Radina billahi Rabban,
Wa bil Islami Dinan,
Wa bi Muhammadin Nabiyya!"

ABBAS A YAKASAI

FARI

Assalamu Alaikum

Havng going thru the Topic, I personaly think that this is a way forward, if

some of our leader can seat together and think of a thing like this I think

we should all support them by the fact that there are dong this to protect

the Image of North. Let all adopt to the story of Rat who has been

maltreated by a cat he says "Every living object shoud bear him witness

that he has made a promise that he will fight cat No more" That is why a Rat always is mal-treated by Cat cos of his Promise .........

Thanks
Asha ruwa lafiya
IF U DON'T DEFINE URSELF 4 URSELF U WOULD BE CRUNCHED INTO OTHER PEOPLES FANTASIES OF U AND EATEN ALIVE"