News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Nigeria's Energy Crises

Started by Barde, July 03, 2003, 03:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barde

Assalamualaikum,
My write up may be bulky but please spare a little bit of your time to read through for meaningfull suggestions.

In the last decade,The nigerian governments has increased the prices of petroleum products several times,i think up to five times,in the name of removing subsidy and preventing smuggling of the products.On june 20th 2003,the ?democratically elected government of chief Obasanjo increased these products to more than 50%, the government said it was subsidizing local consumption to the tune of 250 billion naira annually,Mr president argued that the money could have been better used for more important developmental projects,that's why his government finds it necessary to deregulate the down stream sector of the petroleum industry,The only beneficiaries of the subsidy provided by the government,the president argued,are the rich who continues to get richer and not the masses.Within the said period,inflation is on the increase,virtually,the price of everything has skyrocketed-foodstuffs,transportation and other essential commodities.

In my opinion,Deregulation is not the answer,It is merciless to impose an increase in the prices of the petroleum products which is equivalent to increasing the prices of everything as i mentioned earlier.We all know the status of an average nigerian,according to a report recently released by the world bank,about 70% 0f nigerians are leaving below the poverty level -what a pity,eventhough Mr president has disagreed with the report to the extent of commiting about 200 million naira for verifying the report.Afterall,he has not tell us what he has done with the previous billions of naira from the subsidies he withdrew since 1999?How will he comvince us that the products will be available at the new rates.We all know what Abacha (R.I.P) did with the subsidy he withdrew from the petroleum products.

The major cause of this problem is the nonfunctioning of our refineries,as the sixth world producer of crude oil,sadly,nigeria is relying on the importation of the refined products,even with the importation the products are scarce, the government has refused to repair these refineries.They were pointing accusing fingers to Sani Abacha(R.I.P)that his family were obtaining profits from the business of importing the refined products that's why he neglected the refineries,now, five years after Abacha the refineries are still not working,they should tell us who the importers are and why they refused to put the refineries in order.
It is a pity that this government cannot curbe the activities of the smugglers,those smugglers,no doubt operate in collusion with NNPC and the registered petroleum marketers.It is the responsibility of any well meaning government to arrest such activities as smuggling,But this our government has already succumbed to the smugglers,which is a sign of incompetency.

We have suffered enough,the masses are already in muribund.I don't think removing subsidy at this time will solve the problem,i presume Mr president needs some more money for his globethrotting during his second tenure.(remember the most widely travelled president in the world?).Afterall,what are governments for? if they cannot subsidize petroleum products to it's masses.
What do you think is going to solve such a problem that has been lingering for decades?
im

Fulanizzle

we gatta looong way to go

Imagine a country so rich..so blessed..its a shame we go thru these things a shame i tell ya

)

al_hamza

"WE HAVE MAINTAINED PEACEFULL CO-EXISTANCE WITH OUR NIEGHBOURS AND SHALL CONTINUE TO DO SO, BAKASSI PENINSULLA IS OURS AND THE PEOPLE ARE NIGERIANS"

HIS EXCELENCY
GCON,MNI, SSS,
COMMANDER IN CHIEF OF THE NIGERIAN ARMED FORCES
HIS EXCELENCY
LATE GENERAL SANI ABACHA

ALLAH AKBAR
MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE

i wish i could just meet him once
ABILUNAH? SABILUNAH? AL-JIHAD! AL-JIHAD!

lionger

For once I completely agree with your diagnosis BARDE  ;D.

al hamza what does your post have to do with anything?

Barde

QuoteFor once I completely agree with your diagnosis BARDE ?;D.

al hamza what does your post have to do with anything?
Haba Lionger,why are saying this is the first time we are agreeing?shebi we agreed on what i wrote pertaining Abati's article?and i know you will agree with me in my next topic InshaAllah,just keep a date.
im

gogannaka

wow barde this is a very broad topic u've got here it wud take a whole day discussing nigeria's crisis n(not only energy)
imagine 40 years after independence we're still struggling to get the basic amenities(water, light ,roads etc).at this age nigeria's supposed to have embarked on projects such as saminu turaki's(yes the jigawa state gov.) the guy's ahead of nigeria u know(in terms of developmental projects)

I really pity us o

anyway with threads like this who knows one day someone .... :'( :'( :'(
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

lionger

Haba Lionger,why are saying this is the first time we are agreeing?shebi we agreed on what i wrote pertaining Abati's article?and i know you will agree with me in my next topic InshaAllah,just keep a date.

Sorry Barde, I haven't visited that thread since my last post on it; plus it was meant to be my last post on the subject anyways

Anonymous

oh yes lionger,
what does the post have to do here?
do u know abacha is the most harrased dead man after hitler?
am sure you do!
though he pulled nigeria back and we were enjoying security and  many basic facilities under "SANCTIONS"!
we were also proud of bieng nigerians at that time.
today in a foriegn place...... i think twice before i tell of my origin.
we faced sanctions and very basic facilities were banned for export to nigeria.... do we face the same situation today without sanctions?

be the judge

Anonymous

Just a question to gogannaka Do you know Saminu Turaki kuwa? and do you mean ahead of Nigeria or behind Nigeria?

gogannaka

QuoteJust a question to gogannaka Do you know Saminu Turaki kuwa? and do you mean ahead of Nigeria or behind Nigeria?
hehehe i know saminu Turaki mana..sincerely speakin the guy's ahead of nigeria (i mean the kind of projects he embarks in jigawa).for example his broadband project or the solar energy projects;i mean,after 40 yrs of independence ,at least, these are the kind of projects we ought to be executing, not the "aluta" for LIGHT, WATER or ROADS...

anyways i dont know why you consider him "behind" nigeria
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Anonymous

I cant help nut to agree with Gogannaka. I think one of the most visionary leaders in the current dispensation is Alhaji aminu Turaki. He is the only State Administrator that cares so much about education. The Jigawa State Teachers are the best paid in the last four years and the result has shown that it is working. Furthermore all his programs are well orchestrated. When he started the frog farming everyother person was laughing but to be honest with you it is one of those ways that the northern states will be empowered and will not be disturbed about resource control. Another lofty idea is the Maigatari Border Processing Zone.

An old market that attracts merchants and buyers from all over west africa already more than 40 manufacturing companies have committed to setting up industries there the Americans and 3 other enterpreneuers are already doing business there. With time this will mean a lot of revenue for the state and fx for the nation.

And the broadband project is one of the best things that any govt, local, state or federal has ever midwifed. Later the people of Jigawa State will thank him for his ideas and will pray for him. When Alhaji Audu Bako was the Gov. of Kano State he made a lot of visionay plans and looked at the potentials of the state and noticed that Agric is the main stay of the economy he started the irrigation programm but what were pople saying? He was mad and crazy, the man is now the most respcted ex-governor in the state. Pleae allow Saminu to be carry on Turaki.

Dave_McEwan_Hill

I am overjoyed to hear Audu Bako receiving the praise his memory deserves. His visionary plans should be reintroduced and put into practice. Kano State could become one of the most prosperous parts of Africa if the right plans were put into place.
maigemu

lionger

Quoteoh yes lionger,
what does the post have to do here?
do u know abacha is the most harrased dead man after hitler?
am sure you do!
though he pulled nigeria back and we were enjoying security and ?many basic facilities under "SANCTIONS"!
we were also proud of bieng nigerians at that time.
today in a foriegn place...... i think twice before i tell of my origin.
we faced sanctions and very basic facilities were banned for export to nigeria.... do we face the same situation today without sanctions?

be the judge

Abacha the most harassed dead man after Hitler? Of course not, but what do you expect when his successor is a man he jailed? And what did Abacha pull Nigeria back from? You were proud of being a Nigerian under Abacha? We had basic facilities under him? As the akata ppl would say, negro please!

Just because times are hard and we have an imcompetent leader does not mean that we should bring back a previous imcompetent and greedy dictator. When will we stop this shameful recycling? Abacha was no savior in respect to the energy crisis (or any other aspect of Nigeria), re-read Barde's post. Life wasn't rosy in his time.This crisis did not start with this administration, it started with the government's mismanagement of the profits from the the oil boom of the 70s. As Barde has rightfully indicated, it's only common sense ?to fix the refineries. Abacha did not do that, neither has OBJ. But both of them withdrew subsidies instead. The lesson: recycling incompetency will not make our economic problems go away! Na wa for dis country.

dfynest

When will we stop this shameful recycling?
ehen, lionger, submit your resume and four pasport photographs. We want to start grooming you for 2007.

signed;
Chief Chris Uba. (Godfather)

ummita

She laffs.

4 Nigeria so much has been said bout this great land, but very few of what has been said has been done and even what has been done has not changed Nigerias crises. And the way I c it,politics has done enough damage ::)
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!