News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

ALL THINGS AUTOMOTIVE

Started by kitkat, January 24, 2005, 05:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakangizo

Haven't sorted it out yet. Though some mechs recommeded flushing of the radiator which I did. The final verdict was it must be an electrical fault since the temperature gauge still shows "high", but  I have used the car like that for almost a year without any problem. However, I don't want to completely rule out mechanical fault, or a combination of the two.  It is a Mazda Xedos, '93 model.

kitkat

Well even if its a faulty temperature sensor, it  may be worth changing because if its giving a false reading then when you have an overheating problem youll only be aware when your gasket burns out or your radiator hose explodes. I actually have a portable diagnostic tool that would have identified the exact problem if electrical but it only has one OBD II socket which applies only to cars from 96 onwards.
Since the car appears to be running well just keep your fingers crossed and check your radiator coolant level every morning. If you need to top up more often than not, then youre probably running hotter than usual.

bakangizo

Thanks for the response. Pity your diagnostic tool won't fit in my car. Incidentally I now need to top up almost on  a daily basis, though it was discovered that the radiator started leaking after a mechanic removed, opened and flushed it. He must have broken something :x  :roll:  Well, it means I need to get another radiator.

neozizo

Salaam,i Know in europe if a car has gone less than 60000km,it is considered to be fairly used and its commercial value is determined by this.
I noticed that most tokumbo cars that come into Nigeria are at best gone 120000km.....and we buy them as fairly used.
Please can any body shed more light on this issue for me?
Also is this a fair deal for us?

mlbash

what do you expect mr. zizo from a country where nothing is regarded as achievement and a yardstick of earning one's respect except corruption,bribery and looting of public funds?
t is my intention to make the neglected aspect of our societies viable

kitkat

Quote from: "zizo"Salaam,i Know in europe if a car has gone less than 60000km,it is considered to be fairly used and its commercial value is determined by this.
I noticed that most tokumbo cars that come into Nigeria are at best gone 120000km.....and we buy them as fairly used.
Please can any body shed more light on this issue for me?
Also is this a fair deal for us?

This is a function of the lopsided nature of our economy and our refusal to institute and enforce import standards. In every developed or developing country the middle class is the largest market for medium range cars which constitute the bulk of production for all major car manufacturers. were talking about the accord for honda, toyota camry, bmw 3 series, mercedes c and E class etc. In the states trucks or pick ups make up about half this segment. This target clientele can either afford to buy a new car via finacing on the average every 4 years, or they work for a company that will provide this class of car to them and depreciate it over 4 or 5 years for tax and accounting purposes.

The cars replaced in this way constitute a huge chunk of the 2nd hand car market and they are still good enough to command a reasonable 2nd hand value. Sometimes the same dealer that sells the original car will trade it in for a newer version, fix any faults on the old vehicle and sell it in his lot as "dealer approved" used car with some residual warranty.

The target market for these cars are those that cant afford a new car within that economy ie students fresh out of schol, lower middle class etc  but still have the cash for a decent vehicle thats about 4 or 5 years old. Some cars hold their value better than others and sometimes the differential is not that wide.

When this segment drive their cars fror another 5 or 6 years it will have  notched up the 120k or so mileage you refer to and it probably wont pass emission tests or mot certificaton, or it may involve a costly repair for it to be certified road worthy so its sold off on the chaep and our dealers round them up and bring them here since we dont give a damn about emissions and polution and all that crap.

Since we only have rich and poor with no in between these cars are bought by big men and that concludes the cycle.