News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Table/Mat Manners

Started by EMTL, May 22, 2004, 01:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,

Let me remind our brothers and sisters of what they already know about Islamic Table/Mat Manners.

TABLE/MAT MANNERS: Table manners in Islam differ from that in the western culture. For instance, it is prohibited to eat with the left hand. It is considered a sardonic satire of a Muslim's Islamic culture to eat by using the left hand, in the fashion of the so-called (Western) table manners; Satan eats with his left hand. Abdullah Ibn Umar (RA) related that the Holy Prophet (SAW) said: "When you eat, eat with your right hand and drink with your right hand, Saytan eats with his left hand and drink with his left hand." 71
The recommended manners to be observed while eating include:-
(a)   washing the hands,
(b)   saying 'BismilLah' when starting the meal,
(c)   using the right hand,
(d)   using, only three fingers (the thumb to the middle finger). In a hadith Ka'ab bn Malik (RA) says, "He saw the Holy Prophet (SAW) eating with three fingers, and afterwards would lick them (the fingers)."  (Reported by Imam Muslim[RL]).
(e)   facing the Qibla,
(f)   removing the shoes,
(g)   sitting,
(h)   saying 'Alhamdulil Lah' after the meal, The Dua to be recited after finishing the meal is, "Alhamdulil Lahil Ladhi ad'amana wa saqana waja'al na minal Muslimiyn". (Praise be to God Who fed us, and gave us drink, and made us Muslims!).
(i)   As reported by Abu Imam Daud and Imam Tirmizi [RL], The Holy Prophet (SAW) said, "Blessing comes down onto the food to its middle, so eat from the sides of the vessel and do not eat from its centre."73 It is therefore advisable to start eating from the sides of the plate and preserve part of the food at the centre of the vessel as long as possible, so that maximum blessing can be got from the food. In case of more than one person eating from a plate, each is to eat from the side of the plate close to them (in their front).
(j)   Though, it is not prohibited to eat on a table, but we are yet to see where it was reported that the Holy Prophet (SAW) ate on the table.

Eating in the manner the Holy Prophet (SAW) taught is the best practice for every Muslim. For instance, when a Muslim eats with a spoon or fork he or she would lose the following merits:(a)   washing of the hand before a meal,
(b)   eating with three fingers i.e. the thumb, the index finger and the middle finger ,
(c)    breaking and eating the soft bones in the meal,
(d)    licking the fingers after the meal,
(e)    licking the plates with the fingers,
(f)    washing the hands after the meal.

It is important to note also that part of the food already in the mouth and saliva normally gets transferred back into the fresh food when a spoon or fork is employed for eating this is unhygienic. The same thing happens when the fingers are inserted into the mouth along with the food. It is also detestable to allow or make some noise deliberately from the throat when swallowing food or drink.
Although silence is not necessary during a meal, it is, however, advisable to talk less and not to laugh or shout during the course of taking a meal. It is a good practice for food to be served along with water, as also explained by Sheikh Uthman Bin Fodio (Rahimahul Lah).

The following are the recommended manners while taking a drink:
(a)   starting with Basmalah,
(b)   drinking with the right hand,
(c)   facing the Qibla,
(d)   taking three gulps (breaking twice) to satisfy one's thirst and uttering on completion Alhamdulillah, Or Alhamdulil Lahil ladhi Ja'alal ma'a furatan birahmatihi walam yaj'alhu milhan ujajan biz zunubina. Or Alhamdu lil Lah Ladhi ad'amana wa saqana wa sawwagaha wa ja'ala lahu makhrajan. (Praise be to Allah who fed and gave us drink, made it easy to imbibe, and made an outlet thereof [easy to excrete]). Hazrat Ibn Abbas (RA) relates that the Holy Prophet (SAW) said: "Do not drink water in one gulp (or one drought) like the camel, but take it in two or three instalments (with break for breath); Take (recite Alhamdulil Lah) the name of Allah when you finish."74 Similarly Abu Qatadah (RA) says, 'The Holy Prophet (SAW) has prohibited breathing inside the cup (while drinking water).'

Islam detests the eating of hot food, very expensive meal or the food that was prepared without the mention of the name of Allah (SWT). It is medically unsafe to eat very hot food, or fill up the belly (with food). The Holy Prophet (SAW) taught Muslims, not to eat gluttonously, but moderately. He has advised the believers to apportion one third of the stomach for food, the second third for water and the last for air (for easy breathing). It is also forbidden to blow air (from the mouth) to cool food or drink before eating, or to remove the chaff, or any un-wanted material floating on the drink.

Ibn Abbas (RA) relates that, "The Holy Prophet (SAW) forbade breathing in the water container or blowing upon It."75 A man said to the Holy Prophet (SAW), "I do not quench (my thirst) with one gulp (drought)," the Holy Prophet said to him, "Remove the cup from your mouth and then breathe (before continuing)." The man said, "Sometimes I see something floating on it." The Holy Prophet (SAW) said, " Then pour it out."
The etiquette of drinking in a group is that, the person who serves the drink should himself be the last person to drink. When eating in a group from the same plate, for instance when pieces of meat or bean cake or biscuit are served, every person should pick equal number of the pieces of the food at a time.

All knowledge belongs to Allah (SWT), may He (SWT) forgive our mistakes-amiyn.
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

dan kauye

wai wai wai....ETML...wallahi sai dai ALLAH  ya shirye mu don gaskia mun shagala da yawa....we'v lost olmst 50% of our gr8 moral values...i ddnt even know sum of dose islamic way of eating manner..ol i know is BISMILLAH....and b4 u say bingo my plate is empty....thankx alot i'm reely enlytened wif dis post plz keep d fact flowing ..peace ya.
Dan-Kauye's Artist Of The Week;Robin Thicke

mlbash

Quote from: "dan kauye"wai wai wai....ETML...wallahi sai dai ALLAH  ya shirye mu don gaskia mun shagala da yawa....we'v lost olmst 50% of our gr8 moral values...i ddnt even know sum of dose islamic way of eating manner..ol i know is BISMILLAH....and b4 u say bingo my plate is empty....thankx alot i'm reely enlytened wif dis post plz keep d fact flowing ..peace ya.

shagala ko? awani rike wuka da wani cokali mai yatsu wai ku turawa! uhm................. sun dulmiya mu da yawa wallahi.
t is my intention to make the neglected aspect of our societies viable

Abduldansadau

Quote from: "mlbash"
Quote from: "dan kauye"wai wai wai....ETML...wallahi sai dai ALLAH  ya shirye mu don gaskia mun shagala da yawa....we'v lost olmst 50% of our gr8 moral values...i ddnt even know sum of dose islamic way of eating manner..ol i know is BISMILLAH....and b4 u say bingo my plate is empty....thankx alot i'm reely enlytened wif dis post plz keep d fact flowing ..peace ya.

shagala ko? awani rike wuka da wani cokali mai yatsu wai ku turawa! uhm................. sun dulmiya mu da yawa wallahi.
:D

Assalamu Alaikum
EMTL thank for your expression, we like you an continue to make thesame for some day to day matters as you done before and we INSHA ALLAH tries our best to amend of what is Forbidden by our religion 0r what we dont to know before the more we hear the correct word of it.