News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Are Nigerian Muslims Doing the Right Thing?

Started by _Waziri_, March 31, 2005, 11:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Waziri_

National Conference:Muslims threaten mass boycott
* Send high - powered delegation to Obj again
From MUSTAPHA SAYE, Kaduna

THE National Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) and the Jama'atul Nasril Islam (JNI) has resolved to set up a high-powered delegation for the second time to meet with President Olusegun Obasanjo over the on-going National Political Reform Conference.

In a communiqu? by the Secretary- General of the JNI, Justice Abdulkadir Orire at the end of the joint meeting of the two bodies at Kaduna International Trade Fair Complex, yesterday, they observed that the high-powered delegation will comprise of all Muslim Northern governors, traditional rulers, members of the National Assembly as well as all stakeholders of Islamic affairs in Nigeria.

It explained that the essence of the meeting with President Olusegun Obasanjo is to prevail on him to once again, reconsider the composition of the members of conference which according to them, did not favour the Muslim Ummah, threatening that the time frame will be one week for the president to respond, and if President Obasanjo refuses to give the delegation deserved audience, the Muslim Ummah, they said, will take strong measures that may not augur well for the development of the country.

Earlier, in his keynote address, the Sultan of Sokkoto, Alhaji Muhammadu Maccido had said that Muslims' apprehension about the on-going National Political Reform Conference hinges on the demand to know what steps have been taken so far to ally fears as well as protect the interests of Islam and Muslims in this great country.

He said it is for this reason that "we felt that all the stakeholders who matter in our dear religion should be brought together to discuss and arrive at a conclusion which shall be to the benefit of all Nigerians".

He stated that, they have had cause to visit President Obasanjo on some burning issues at the Presidential Villa March 9, 2005 and after the discussion with the Head of Service Alhaji Yayale Ahmad who headed a delegation sent to us by Mr. President, he (President) only honoured one out of five of the delegation's requests after which he approved the appointment of a co-secretary to the conference.

Alhaji Maccido hoped that the gathering will be a great chance for the Muslims whether in government, private sector or politics to unite and speak with one voice.

Also speaking at the meeting, the representative of the federal government who is also the Head of Service, Alhaji Yayale Ahmad assured that whatever was discussed and conclusion reached, government will look into it with the best interest, saying that the Muslim community is highly respected.

He explained that as a messenger, he will extend the message of the aggrieved Muslim Ummah to the President, adding: "We can not shy away from issues related to religion as it is part and parcel of national interest, hence shall not be just thrown out like that".

According to the Head of Service, Muslim Ummah are far left behind in terms of socio-economic and political matters, saying, "this is a more fundamental issue facing the Muslim but which we refuse to address quickly".

Also speaking at the meeting, the representative of Islamic organisations Sheikh Ja'afar Mahmoud Adam from Kano state and Dr. Datti Ahmad observed that since the inception of Obasanjo's administration, he has focused attention on the sacking of senior Muslim officers in the Army, Navy and Air Force, citing example with the fact that out of 18 military commanders only one is a Muslim in the country.

Describing the situation as a great unhealthy development in the Muslim society, the duo called on Muslims to boycott the conference.

They further described President Obasanjo as someone full of religious bias and one who is vindictive by acting to the whims of other sections of Nigerian society.

On his part, Alhaji Magaji Dambatta (OFR) and leader of Kano delegates to the conference, said they will do everything possible to protect the interest of Islam and Muslims, adding: "We are committed to ensuring that all Muslim interests are well protected without any fear of contradictions".

Some of the representatives who graced the occasion were the Deputy Senate President, Alhaji Ibrahim Mantu, Senate Majority Leader, Dr. Dalhatu Sarki Tafida, Zamfara state governor, Alhaji Ahmad Sani, deputy governor of Kano state, Engr. Magaji Abdullahi, Emir of Kano, Alhaji (Dr.) Ado Bayero, Shehu of Borno, Etsu Nupe and many Muslims leaders across the country.

? Triumph Publishing Company Limited 2004

alhaji_aminu

Salam

I think the JNI and NSCIA are, in principle, doing the right thing. It is only proper for the Muslims to demand fair and adequate representation in the NPRC.

They are wrong, however, to demand that the leadership of the conference should be altered to fit Muslims concerns. The leadership of the confab should be composed of the most capable people be they Muslims or not. I know people have reservations about the person Fr Hassan Kukah but none of those making this noise claim he is unfit for the job. My verdict: let him be.

What our elders should demand is for the composition of the members to be altered in such a way that does justice to the demographics of our dear nation. Muslim representation in the confab is insufficient in my view.  am most incensed by what the Emir of Gwandu Mustapha Haruna Jokolo said about Muslim representation in the Army. He is quoted as saying that the most senior army office from the North is a Colonel. This is false. I mean, if the learned Emir, a former soldier, did not know the Lt Gen M.L Agwai is from Kaduna, then he ought to have done some research before uttering this comment. Many critics will point to this and say,  anything coming from him is sensational and deviod of any substanace.

If I were in a position to speak directly to the JNI, I would advice them to stop making comments that are injurious to the satbility of Nigeria, especially those that relate to the army. I would advice them to resolve this matter the way they started it; which is, by consulting Obasanjo and airing their concerns. All this talk of  boycotting the confab would portray Muslims as pesssimists to an idea which is capable of restoring the dignity of our nation. Furthermore, we know it is impossible to implement the recommendations of the confab without the approval of the national assembly. So, should Obasanjo not agree to the demands of the JNI/NSCIA, then the best thing to do is to mobilize the members that are muslims and see to it that the recommendations perceiced to be inimical to the interests of Muslims are not codified.

Lord knows this palaver btw the JNI/NSCIA and OBJ has the potential of generating conflict the consequences of which no one can say. So, in the interest of peace and togetherness, I  beseech the JNI/NSCIA and Obasanjo should resolve their differences in a way that does the greatest good to all NIgerians, Muslims and no Muslims.

Allah dai shi sawwake.

mallamt

I found this very interesting especially seeing myadudu's comment on the issue also, which i must say was very frank. I highlighted some lines in the culled article from thisday

You're Not Sincere, Umar Tells Muslim Leaders
Says Zamfara gov's version of Sharia has claimed 10,000 lives
From Agaju Madugba in Kaduna, 04.02.2005

Former Military Governor of Kaduna State, Col. Abubakar Umar, has asked northern Islamic leaders to be circumspect in their criticism over the perceived federal government's actions  and blamed the entire northern leadership for the purported marginalisation of the area.
According to Umar, "I am aware that some Muslim delegation, which included some traditional rulers and Muslim clerics, had the opportunity of raising some of these grievances at a meeting with President Olusegun Obasanjo a couple of weeks back.
"One of the issues discussed was the under-representation of Muslims at the on-going national conference.
"Contrary to stories being peddled around, the President did not treat the delegates discourteously. I know now that the false stories were meant to incite gullible Muslims agai-nst the Federal Government.
"In saying this, I have absolutely no intention of holding brief for General Obasanjo. I cannot. I simply want to remain consistent on the idea of the truth. At the meeting, the President was handed the petition of the delegates which was openly read by one of the government officials.
"The President promised to carry out some remedial measures  which he did almost immediately by appointing Muslims as co-chairman and co-secretary. It was when some of the delegates, on wanting to use the forum to achieve, to score cheap political goals that the president resisted and unceremoniously closed the meeting.
"This background is relevant in showing why some of the delegates took offence and vowed to get back at the President which may also explain the main reason for the convening of the Monday meeting."
Umar who spoke at a press conference in Kaduna yesterday, also chided the Zamfara State Governor, Alhaji Ahmed Sani, for attending  last Monday's meeting  of some northern traditional rulers in Kaduna noting that, "Yarima (Sani) should know that his penchant for the employment of religion as a tool of political control and relevance has already cost this country so dearly."
Umar spoke against the backdrop of the meeting during which Muslim leaders accused the Federal Government of marginalisation of the Nigerian Muslim community.
He said, "both northern Muslims and Christians are marginalised because of the region's backwardness in educational development, poor infrastructure, low internally generated revenue, and, of course, social instability.
"These are some of the issues that must be addressed if we are really serious about combating marginalisation. For now, our leaders cannot convince anyone that we are marginalised  or that they are really concerned about our status, when they exhibit the most ungodly opulence albeit in an ocean of poverty."
Umar condemned what he described as "seditious threats" of the Muslim leaders over the composition of delegates at the on-going National Political Reforms Conference.
He reminded the Islamic leaders who were at the Monday meeting in Kaduna that, "while the Federal Government had at least, carried out some ameliorative measures towards redressing the imbalance, Borno State with a substantial Christian population continues to maintain its all-Muslim delegation without its case being mentioned at the meeting"
Umar accused the Zamfara governor of attempts at bringing disunity in the country. According to him, Yarima was in secondary school when some people fought and others died  to keep Nigeria one," so, he should not wake up overnight to cause trouble.
"It is instructive that he was the only state chief executive who turned up at the meeting of traditional rulers and some religious leaders. Of course, he appeared with the usual fanfare, exhibiting such pharisaic religious favour.
"I need to mention that his decision to launch his version of  Sharia had resulted in the violent sharia riots which claimed the lives of 10,000 people."[/b]

mlbash

MR. WAZIRI, I WANT TO ASSURE YOU THAT THEY ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING. IT IS JUST UNFORTUNATE THAT THOSE ON TOP ARE DISGRACE TO OUR UMMA. BUT NOT WITHSTANDING, THE CURRENT GESTURE IS POLITICALLY, MORALLY AND SOCIALLY RIGHT.
WHAT NEXT?  WE ARE WAITING FOR AREMU'S RESPONSE.
t is my intention to make the neglected aspect of our societies viable

SAAHIB 92

assalam,

Muslim has to be very careful abt this arrangement...bcos there must be something fishy abt obasanjo's deniel of audience.
Radina billahi Rabban,
Wa bil Islami Dinan,
Wa bi Muhammadin Nabiyya!"

ABBAS A YAKASAI