News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

what do you want to know about new york????????????????

Started by naijagal, October 04, 2005, 06:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naijagal

salam all

my name is naijagal and i was born and raised in new york city. i am a recent graduate of business managment with a minor in marketing. i usually travel to kano at least twice a year, and when i go to kano i usually stay in sharada estate phase II. if anyone has any questions or wants to know about new your wether it be education, politics or whatever crosses your mind, feel free to post a reply or email me at naijagal@hotmail.com and i will answer any questions you may have, also feel free to send pics..

salam
naijagal

Quotedont underestimate the essence of a nubian queen!
aijagal, the top secret!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maqari

:lol: This is sort of amusing, In a mid-townish kind of way, I can almost hear that annoying voice on WBLS singing "EXPEEDIA DOT COMMMMMMMM" when did Travel Agencies decide to improve their PR services by participating in cyber forums ?  :)

ikoro

as you called your self "naijagal the best among all"

i think this is not a good way of market promotion, i think google will give you a better marketing promotion.

but i want to know if the new york you are saying about is the one dick and tom goes to in the USA or a another new york may be in MONGOLIA or  KAZAKHSTAN?
 love
the  day
i found youi eant to be around you
let it be me

alhaji_aminu

Salam

I hate New York city for the obvious reasons. That is Dirt, Traffic, Cockroaches (where do they come from anyway), Crime ( ooh, my car was almost broken into when I parked it in the wrong area of the bronx), and the general lack of spaciaous living quarters.

And not to forget, the Subway STINKS, well atleast from the bronx end of the divide. I will choose Boston, Philly, or San Fransisco 100 times before I choose NY as my place of work and living.

My question is, where can someone stay in NY, withing a reasonable price range and security condition?????

Hard to find, I say!

Maqari

Alhj. Aminu

I don?t know when the issue of residential location started commanding such relevancy but I do have a couple of things to say in regard to your comments.

As a young man who spent ?literary? the bulk of his life on the road I couldn?t afford the luxury of pledging allegiance to any one place, nor do I harbor the desire to. For No flourishing oasis has yet been able to quench with finality my thirst for the desert heat, nor has any tropical aroma ever managed to terminally cure my nostrils from their addiction to the oily metallic scent of a Brooklyn bound L train, and vis-?-vis.
But as someone who spent the last five years living and working in New York, I couldn?t possibly remain silent at your stereo typical conclusions on the city.

See, us New Yorkers (with the suggested exclusion of Naijagal :) ) love ?the rotten apple? sweet and bruised, sinister and romantic (and NO I don?t mean Frank Sinatra or those touristy horse and carriage rides through Central Park). Its exactly those contrasting qualities that make living in Gotham such a rollercoaster. For me, it?s the shear velocity of life her Cosmopolitan streets and the tranquility of a simple walk with a friend along the Hudson's muddy banks, its the energy that radiates from Franklin avenue in one of those Brooklyn summer afternoons and the jazzy Spanish Harlem nights, it?s the old timers playing chess on tenement benches and schooling us on the low key record stores, the occasional debates with conservative professors at Union Square, the simmering hot days of Astoria Queens with elders lounging on the front stoop watching young kids busting fire hydrants. The Icy cold night freestyle sessions in front of the Nuyorican Caf?, its digging through crates of second hand books (that stretch for miles) at the Strand book store, it?s the acoustic of The Carnegie Hall while listening to Ashkenazy play the Beethoven's Eroica 3, the delicateness and vigor of a talented single mother trying to survive on America?s fastest playground, the miraculous resilience of the working class within the most capitalistic city on the planet, the fight 'with uncompromising fervor' of the gifted aspiring minds to maintain within a city that bares its snister claws at them in a perpetual pushfoward to make profit, the  the grimy streets of south Bronx, Italian icies and sundaes, its that new york state of mind, that gritty integrity, the youthfully radical Art scenes of Williamsburg, its Andy Warhol, its Fat Beats, It?s the exhibitions on Chelsea and Soho (not to be confused with the trendy-trust fund- mid town-hipster-stuff. I'm talking about the raw uncut shyt.) , and for many, it?s the memory of what and how it was.

it would be an understatement to say that New York has it?s fair share of the dramatic crime rate in the US but c?mon akh! Philly? You kidding me ? my crew and I did a mural last year as a part of the city?s famed Mural Arts Program in north Philly at Cecil B Moore and Germantown to be exact, and almost got killed working. One of my colleagues had a fully loaded 45 pulled at him on a different occasion and another was seriously wounded from a stray shot. Being in South Philly is like a bid in Fallujah when it comes to gun play. Don?t know much about Boston but from what I heard it isn?t a vacation to the Bahamas either. Albeit I have to admit that I love Frisco but knowing how homophobic you are I?d say you might want to review that choice as well.

the bit about your car almost being jacked in the boogie down was awful, That would?ve sucked.

Peace, ONE.

PS. this is totally off topic ranting but........ I just read about this off the wall law that was passed in FL. about the right  of the state's arm bearing citezens to fire at suspects with intention to kill if they feel thretened in what they term "meet force with force" including deadly force. as opposed to the precedent law that advices would-be victims to flee when possible. the law also asks that prosecutors must automatically presume that would-be victims feared for their lives if attacked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????? must've took some serious facist NRA lobbyist pyramids of leagal paper work and a few million dollars. my question is: in the wake of Katrina's violent outburst, how can any US state legislate or even consider giving its citezen the right not just to bear arms but also legally use them in a criterion as abstract as "feeling threatened"? I dont think it gets more mind boggling.

naijagal

well, i smell hate inthe air. well if you feel that new york stinks and the subway is horrible, that is ur opinion. but dont be mad when one day im the one who will be signing your checks. forget about the look of the streets and subway, its about what new york has, and belive me new york is way better than where ever your residing, only the strong can survive in new york so alhaji aminu, rememebr that atlanta has the highest rate of transexuals. so before you talk do ur research.!!!!!!!!!!

Maqari

Naijagal,

have you ever come across the old saying "oftentimes its best to remain silent and be thought stupid, than speak and remove all doubts" ? perhaps you should heed to that.

how can you 'in the same breath' accuse someone of manifesting hatred then turn around and rebuke a city on basis of the lifestyle of certain inhabitants ? something just dosen't add up here  :? in case you never considered the odds, gay bashing is and will continue to be 'Hatred' in it's most blatant form.

but then deducing from your comment "dont be mad when one day im the one who will be signing your checks" things seem to only make a tangible sense to you in terms of monetary sums. in which case you should seriously consider a new hang out. I will suggest the over pricey restaurants on Rector and Nassau streets for apparent reasons, lots of preppy "golden boys/girls" and It's within walking proximity of the financial district. but most certainly not Hausa fulani forums, you are a long way from wall street here buddy.

Peace, One

naijagal

ok. at first when i put this forum up was for the intentions of answring typical questions one may have of new york city, being that i grew up and resided here all my life. this forum was not intended to " bash " anyone of any sexual orientation but to answer any question of somone whom never been to new york. but unfortunatly there are some people who take things over the limit and make things into somthing that isnt necessary. maqari, it seems to me as if you took offense to somthing that wasent directed to you. when i said " ill be the one signing his checks" i meant what i said, you never know who your boss is at a new job unless you get there to find out, and i may be that boss. as a woman i have accompolished alot in my life, i dont need to prove it to you by writing with big words or speak in a certain style, i keep it real and flow how i want. you dont even know me and your here bashing me, i belive if you take the time to know who naijagal is, you wouldnt even say what you said. but i dont waste my time with ignorant people anyway. i have better things to worry about rather than words that you write in a forum.

now directing to alhaji aminu, its understandable for somone who has never lived in new york to hate new york, there is more to nyc than the dirty trains or whatever you was complaining about. there are also parts of atlanta which if is the same or probably worse than nyc. also the crime rate there is also high, so if you love where your at than thats your choice, but dont make it as if nyc is below living standards. and when i said "atlanta has the highest rate of transexuals" its true, i have been to ATL on many occasions where i have seen many , not to be a basher on trangenders, but im speaking of some of the flaws your city has. so pls before you bash nyc or anyother city, just do a little research before you bash my home town !!!!!!!

do i really care what anyone thinks, no not really. im a focused business woman. im a university graduate and i have my own business, and i travel to kano at least twice a year. so if the negative people want to hate on me than thats fine. but anyone who has anything POSITIVE to say, i would love to see any post that you all may have.

salam

naijagal

" you cant stop the best at their best"

Maqari

Oops!! That must've struck a nerve, aight Naijagal (although I dont know what I'm apologizing for) my bad for making you upset. it really was'nt my intention. It must be the French humor starting to take a hold of me.

on the flip side though.............. you seem not to get my drift on the transexual issue. not to be blunt, but I'm trying to give you a "heads up !" on a blatant contradiction in your post, you claimed "not to be a basher on trangenders" then in the very next sentence you say "but im speaking of some of the flaws your city has" so why am I the only one among the two of us that appears to notice the inconsistency? on one hand you assert not to have any problems with homosexuals and on the other you regard their presence in a city as a "flaw" ? please do elaborate.............

Hafsy_Lady

Am touching on some little not too deep points.

Such patrotic mind rendered towards  streets, subways, restaurants & so on  & so forth of New York, Nnaaaaa, yet some thing baffles. Sistah why naijagul? If you change your avator name to New York City Gul.....(honest! it adds more vibe) but its only a suggestion plus if I was a bretheren of NY, I wont even claim Nigerian status in my intros.....I mean how could I? Born & Bred? Hell am a N'Yorker!

Again, sincerely speaking this sounds like a very interesting subject which MAY lack interest in the minds of SOME people here. I know we can all ask you about the education, & whatever that crosses thee mind even the politcal issues, but what is the internet for? Plus we have seen alot of George Bush in Iraq today :roll: . Though the fact that even Arnold Swazeneger became governor is more than Hilarious (infact somethings crossed my mind naw...is he saying astalabistababy to movie career forever?). Anyway Condolisa Rice, when sworn to power, I taugth she was the reincarnated version of "KIZI KUNTE" but she is still saying "they are trying their best to see that N'Orleans victims are catered for, if they can send batallions & life destroying machineries, why cant they send simple diapers for a child who hasnt been changed for 4days! (Talk about nappy rash!)"....plus they already referring dem as refuges like they do not belong there. And like that is not enough ordeal, giving those ppl dungree uniforms reminds me of the famous film "Roots" shows such dedication to Black History Condolisa has I guess. This makes me wish Bill Clinton was back in power but he may be busy having affairs again. My dear, we've seen enough of political history in US, & its not really of great importance to motherland Nigeria. However, I hearsay, they are starting a lil sum'en sum'en with Naija based on Petrol, mhmm mhmm mhmm, please tell your pupu say make dey no try dat one with 9ja,......na so winch & juju dey go carry finish wuna pipu. Again, I bet Dozens if not Zillion of ppl hav already been there, some residing, some studying, such livinit up......... with the likes of Maqari :P xcept this your topic is targeted for the benefit of people like ME who have never even been to Lagos but I have alot of souveniers from ppl that have been there. On one of my best souvernier T-shirt is the famous buidling of which back in your country NY may stand as the famous Waldorf Astoria hotel. Lagos as a whole is our own replica of NY cus we got 1004 council houses which may substitute for the now ground Zero & our Badagry beach which may slightly do for a Manhattan Island and our Ajegunle which may stand as the ghetto East NY. Your Leceister square will do for our Marina. NY being the center of entertainment or so dey say, 9ja is the universal.....my husband 2face will do for Ginuwine & Ja rule will match......Edris Abdulkarim & he even had a row with 50cents (WOW)! :P Irv Gottis Murder Inc? We have Kennis Music! So what is it NY has that Nigeria Lacks? You guys have underground trains...we even have underground canoes.....our own version of Euro Star......like am lying? see for your self!

Lastly,.......gurl advice number one! NEVER EVER GET UPSET WITH COMMENTS PEOPLE MAKE HERE IN THIS FORUM CUS BOY.....OH BHOY IF YOU WILL VENT LIKE THAT...................PHEW!......

Some OLD MEMBERS WHO WHERE NEW BACK IN DEM DAYS STARTED OFF LIKE "gettin pissed with little sarcasm, when opinion varies wahala go start" INFACT THEY EVEN LEFT THEIR FAREWELL NOTE NEVER TO COME BACK..........But gasu sun dawo ages ago kuma suna tare damu.  Maqari I dey hail you. :lol:

Finally too much burden Nigeria carries on its head, no need for xtraz.....For now NY can wait!  Gurl am not bashing your home town as you said, just sayingthat your NY makes little difference to our 9ja :lol: May not be a brethren of 9ja but MEH LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

PS: me mo gwal fedeiyo pwapwikah nefevi movitufyal (wana know? search for a girl that write in blue for transalation).

Make your stay last!
What you see is what you get[/b]

Hafsy_Lady

Quote from: "naijagal"
do i really care what anyone thinks, no not really. im a focused business woman. im a university graduate and i have my own business, and i travel to kano at least twice a year. so if the negative people want to hate on me than thats fine. but anyone who has anything POSITIVE to say, i would love to see any post that you all may have.
A'a wahala.....who said you not an undergraduate? Who said you not focused? Who is not a believer that to pay regular homage ONLY twice a year? Who disagree with you that you are not an enterprenuer? Show them to me, let me go get my rifle. But come, If carrying my creditials/resume to express my opinion would help alot, I will stick them on my forehead if it will not be weird looking and and egotistically self centered...........BOY MY FACE WOULD BE COVERED!
Sistah you best mind what people think cus its the only way you can express opinions and you best take it easy.  Its just a FORUM NO BIGGIES, opinion can VARY! Well I say you best get ready because BOTH NEGATIVE & POSITIVE views may be posted. That is what you call a forum, so take a chill pill and take things lightly........I get unserious to wind and serious to unwind........make I go unwind for chit chat :?
What you see is what you get[/b]

alhaji_aminu

Salam

My "dissing" NY has nothing to do with hate. Like I said in my message, my impression of the city is formed, to a large extent, by what I experienced last december while visiting a friend in the Bronx.

I guess what I actually omitted in my earlier message was, the city is infested with roaches. My goodness, they were e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e.....

It is true that one cannot project one's biases to make an objective comment like I tried to do about NY, but the truth is very few areas of NY are "great" places to live.

I have to go now

lionger

lol funny stuff  :lol:  :lol: all this ado about NY? buhahaha  :D

Maqari

Alhj. Aminu

LOL. Sounds like the good Ol? boogie down traumatized you (you should've accepted my offer on the phone and stayed at the safer Williamsburg) if I was you I?d do what Americans do best and ?sue the bastards? I?d take Pataki or Bloomberg straight to Bleeker and start making all sorts of liability demands  :) ???I do have to admit that the roaches jab is both true and hilarious!   :D  I promise you, the city hasn?t always been that way, they only brought in the roaches in the early 80?s (along with crack) to combat, the then ?growing concern about the NY Rat population? that was starting to exceed ?in overwhelming numbers? the human inhabitans of the city. It was an ingenious initiative. the roaches soon multiplied and ran the rats out of town. Aright I?m just ?bugging? but seriously someone does need to do something about that.

On a more serious tone though I guess my whole point (which I thought I made lucidly clear) was: one city is just as good as the next (as clich? as that sounds). It?s totally dependant on your personal experience and how you interpret them. I have just as much cherished memories from Cairo, Frankfurt or Katsina as I do from NY. Besides both you and I know that NY isn?t the worst place to live in the US. I?ve been to parts of this country (namely in the south) that challenged everything I thought I knew about the ?developed world?.  

As I?m sure there are people living in Kandahar Afghanistan that would rather tough it out through amazing calamities than abandon their beloved city. I personally am extremely curious about the myriad of diversities in the world, hence I rather try to just learn, socialize and enjoy my visits and residency at any host place I find myself hurled to, than: insistently grouch about their short comings. There is a beautiful verse from the Koran in the topic of traveling that concludes ?Famshu fiy Manaakibihaa wa Kulu min rizqih? = ?thus traverse on her (the world) tracts and nourish from the variety of her wealth?. Call me an ?internationalist?.

you offered your opinions on the city from your stand point and I did from mine. thats all there is to it.

Peace, One

PS.
 Hafsy_Lady.  99.9 percent of your post above has zero relevancy to this particular thread. The issue at discourse here (at least as I thought) is explicitly: people?s ?personal experience? with a distinct city in the United States. Not the political hegemony of America as an Imperial State. You and I (as you indicated) have been in the forums long enough to know that: discussing the latter would only amass a series of agreement from the majority of the forumites (including myself). This, in conversations, is customarily referred to as ?Intellectual Masturbation?, in which I have no wish to indulge.

By all means though if you want to discuss CondoLEEZZA Rice, the Iraqi Ordeal, Katrina's aftermath, Bush or anybody else from the administration for that matter (and NO everything does not relate to that), I ?personally? have no objections. but I think you should make that cohesively clear to the fellow forumites, if only to deflect confusion.

naijagal

lol lol lol this forum is more funnier than i thought it would be. well nyc and some sother cities throughout america have a roach problem. i rememebr i went to ohio to visit a friend, and when i went into the bathroom and turn the lights on, LORD the roaches were piled on to eachother like a carpet! and i tell you this, there are some wealthy people here in nyc whom have money and all of hearts desiers, but they are the most nastiest people ever! if you ever watched the episode of oprah where this rich white lady was living in amansion full of filth that has been there for years. so dont think thatall bronx or all nyc has roaches, if one keeps their home clean, then you wont have a roach problem.

and on the note of nyc. why i love nyc: nyc is the mecca of hip hop (then comes chicago) but nyc is full of life. living in this congested city you learn alot about life: like how take life for granted, but you see homless whom are starving and have no place to stay. nyc is full of night life and daily obstacles. let me see, i have met numerous stars and performers including : 50 cent, GAME, lil kim, mobb deep, big pun ( may he rest in piece) brandy, monica, missy, tic tak( performer from ghana) puffy, destiney child, fat joe, and the list goes on and on. i used to intern for a entertainment group when i first started college, so i had the priviledge to meet theses people!

i mean its cool out here. and yea nyc is kind of like lagos, when you talk about night life, yes its the same, when you talk about the hard knock life that some face in lagos then yea nyc and lagod has SOME  similarities. belive me if you come to nyc and see then ull understand( Maqari you kno where im coming from ) if you wanna compare lagos to any city the it has the same similarities as newark new jersey!!!!!!!! wow newark, you can get robbed in broad day light! it is rediculous out there, seriously it is. now that is one city where your always hearing somone getting robbed or killed or car jacking. newark is one place where i dont go alone after 9pm! (lol)

but my naijagal to me means strong roots. i wasent born in naija but naija is in my heart. i love naijag so much i make sure i go there at least twice a year. so instead of callin myself new york gal. i picked naijagal!!!!
everyone who is in naija around december-april should come and visit me in kano ( or unless ya are afraid of the sharia law) lolor if any of my kanoonline peeps are in nyc hit me up, i have this fashion show coming up real soon. and this african students association end of semester bash in december a lehman college in the BX.

Catch ya on the flip side!

salam
naijagal