News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Sentence for Conversion under sharia

Started by mallamt, March 24, 2006, 05:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mallamt

It has been reported in the past few days that an Afganistani who converted from islam to christianity faces a possible death sentence under the sharia law in afganistan for his conversion except he renounces his conversion and reconverts to islam. The judge handling the case did confirm the possibility of the death sentence in an interveiw.

Please educate us the non muslims on this matter is this llowed under sharia law? Does conversion from islam to christianity also carry the death sentence in states that practise sharia law in nigeria? Is this a deviation from the provisions of sharia law?

EMTL

Mr. T,
I wonder why you should be interested in this case, this is strictly a Muslims affair. An un-believer that does understand the concept of Islam and disputes the teachings of the religion have no right to make such useless comments and cynical questions. In the Glorious Qur'an Allah (SWT) says about the unbelievers: "When it is said to them: "Believe as the others believe," they say: "Shall we believe as the fools believe?" Nay, of a surety they are the fools, but they do not know." - Suratul Baqarah

Similarly, when the ancient Pagans wanted to interfer in the affirs of Islam (the only acceptable religion to Allah [SWT]) the Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him) replied saying:

In the Name of Allah the Beneficient the Merciful:
[1] Say: O ye that reject Faith!

[2] I worship not that which ye worship,

[3] Nor will ye worship that which I worship.

[4] And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship,

[5] Nor will ye worship that which I worship.

[6] To you be your Way, and to me mine.

Therefore, Mr. T, To you be your way, and to me mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

HUSNAA

Haba EMTL that was no way to approach the subject matter.  If you look at Mallamt's line of questioning, he is not being hostile, just a sicere wish to be informed, which I think should go for both muslims as well as christians.
As a muslim, I am sincerely of the view that the man should not be executed for ridda. I have my reasons, which no doubt would go contrary to accepted norms.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

dan kauye

Quote from: "HUSNAA"Haba EMTL that was no way to approach the subject matter.  If you look at Mallamt's line of questioning, he is not being hostile, just a sicere wish to be informed, which I think should go for both muslims as well as christians.
As a muslim, I am sincerely of the view that the man should not be executed for ridda. I have my reasons, which no doubt would go contrary to accepted norms.

Assalam,I'm an avid reader of your posts.Please drop your reasons,im eager to see them.
Dan-Kauye's Artist Of The Week;Robin Thicke

Idris

Allah, in the Qur?an, made it explicitly clear that there is no compulsion in the religion. Allah says in (Q2:256):

"There is no compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error. And he who rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break. Allah is Hearer, Knower.?

Allah went further and talked about those who believe and then disbelieve and talked about those who left the religion without mentioning anything like to kill them; how come the killing I do not know.

What would Allah want by keeping a person in al-Islam by force? Are the Sunnis and Shias not nurturing hypocrisy by this act?

Let it be known that there can be no compulsion in al-Islam. This is a statement of fact.

I will open a thread and discuss it fully by the permission of Allah.
Do not oppress and do not allow yourself to be oppressed

mallamt

Idris has a very interesting write up in a different thread from this and I have found it extremely educative.  Idris has in a very intelligent and basic way gone to adress some misconceptions some people have on the issue of sharia as it relates to the subject of conversion from islam.

I believe muslims do not need the types of EMTL who can not educate non muslims around them and address some of the very wrong perceptions people have about islam and muslims.

HUSNAA

Quote from: "HUSNAA"
Quote from: "dan kauye"

Assalam,I'm an avid reader of your posts.Please drop your reasons,im eager to see them.

Thank you Dan Kauye. You are very flattering. However, my views on this subject have nothing to do with an Islamic point of view really. It just has to do with the realities that we find ourselves in these days.
To my way of thinking, apostasy was punishable by death at the time of the prophet SAW and during the era when Islam was young vulnerable and didnt need any detractors. Let me put it this way.  A muslim becoming an apostate is the same as a traitor who commits treason against his country and we all know treason is punishable by death. If a muslim at the time of the prophet SAW became a murtad then he cannot live amongst the muslims. At the same time he cannot be allowed to decamp to the enemy's side because he will betray the muslims. Therefore he should rightly be put to death. At the time of the caliphates  and the Islamic dynasties, this was the rule of law for all murtads, because of the wars waged against opponents of Islam, within and outside the Islamic states.
Lets not forget also that Murtads are much less dangerous than the munafiquns - hypocrites - who profess Islam with the tongue only, and who given the chance can reap outright havoc amongst  the nascent Islamic community. A case in point is the slanderous allegations made against the wife of the Prophet (SAW) Hadhrat Aisha (RA), of which Allah (SWT) Exonerated her in Surah Nur and also Tasked the muslims about their readiness to believe in slanders against fellow muslims. This nearly caused a severe division amongst the muslim ummah and the mischief was invented by the hypocrites living among  sincere muslims.  Why if the munafiqs are more dangerous than murtads, were they not put to death? Well an obvious answer is that the life of anyone who utters the KALIMAT SHAHADA becomes immune to a death threat posed by his fellow muslim (unless he commits adultery, intentionally kills someone, or becomes murtad). It doesnt matter whether, the Kalimat Shahada was uttered in good faith or not. That is only for Allah to Judge. It suffices that it is uttered. Secondly, because of their profession to Islam, munafiqs can live among muslims and therefore there is much less chance of them fraternizing with the enemy than murtads who cannot live amongst muslims. Thus that level of interaction between  enemy non muslims and munafiqs is very much  neutralized. However, if the munafiqun openly declare their apostasy, they are to be put to the sword. In Surah 4:88-89 Allah SWT Commanded

Then what is the matter with you that you are divided into two parties about the hypocrites? Allah has cast them back (to disbelief) because of what they have earned. Do you want to guide him whom Allah has made to go astray? And he whom Allah has made to go astray, you will never find for him any way (of guidance). [color=Dark blue][/color]

They wish that you reject Faith, as they have rejected (Faith), and thus that you all become equal (like one another). So take not Auliya (protectors or friends) from them, till they emigrate in the Way of Allah (to Muhammad SAW). But if they turn back (from Islam), take (hold) of them and kill them wherever you find them, and take neither Auliya (protectors or friends) nor helpers from them.

Nowadays, we do not have a caliphate, which is an essential part of the Islamic identity and in most cases anyone who goes out of the Islamic faith does so not so much as to cause muslims harm, but in order to 'reap' the enjoyment of this life of the Duniya. I dont know how many of us have heard what happened about a year ago in Australia. Some Afghans were seeking asylum but the Australian govt refused them entry into the country. The afghans then issued a statement saying that they had renounced Islam and converted to Christianity. The Australian Govt promptly issued them permits to stay in the country, but made it known that it wasnt because the Afghans had converted to Christianity!!  

Another reason a person apostates is because the person has not had a thorough Islamic upbringing, in which case, s/he is like driftwood in an ocean flowing with the tide with no intrinsic sense of direction. On the other hand, it may be like the case of  that Somalian woman (of the Van Gogh infamy),  who became murtad, from sheer physical oppression by her husband and his family. I am not condoning any of these cases. But obviously, there is a flaw in the Islamic ummah in all these cases that led these ppl to commit apostasy. The first case is the one which ppl can consider as flimsy. That is  to say why give up your religion for the enjoyment of a few minutes (compared to the eternity of pleasure that awaits the muslim in paradise?)

Allah (SWT) Says in the Quran (Surah 2:200)
'But of mankind there are some who say: "Our Lord! Give us (Your Bounties) in this world!" and for such there will be no portion in the Hereafter'.

Who are these type of ppl? They cannot be muslims, because no matter how bad a muslim is or if a person has a grain's worth of belief in Allah, he receives his punishment in the hereafter, and one eternal day, he will be taken into Aljanna. But if any one has no portion in the hereafter, then it is definitely someone who cannot be classified as a muslim. But at the same time, it is someone who is aware of Allah as his Lord. Who can that type of person be? Someone who preferred the life of this world to the hereafter and sold his religion to gain it? A murtad perhaps? The point I am trying to make here is that  1) Allah Grants all wishes in one form or another, and Allah fully Recompenses every living soul of what it earns. From the above verse, I believe that the murtad gets his wish and Allah Grants him the life of this world, and Saves the murtad's punishment for  the hereafter. In which case the murtad lives his life until the time  that Allah Terminates it.
Also in Surah 2:217 Allah SWT Informed us through the Prophet SAW

And whosoever of you turns back from his religion and dies as a disbeliever, then his deeds will be lost in this life and in the Hereafter, and they will be the dwellers of the Fire. They will abide therein forever." [/size]

There is the implication here that the person who dies as a disbeliever, dies a probable natural death, i.e. he is not tried for apostasy or anything like that. However this is not a conclusive proof because a person could hide his disbelief from man at any rate and be a munafiq.

The second case is the type whereby a person is brought up in an Islamic environment, yet his upbringing and knowledge and practice of Islam leave much to be desired. Unfortunately, this is the case in the majority of muslim households. A lot of it can be attributed to his parents/guardians whose duty it is to see that s/he was brought up with a sound Islamic foundation, so that when he comes across religious pitfalls, s/he recognizes them, and is not waylaid by them.
The third case honestly, is something that we must all  try to be aware of. There is too much injustice meted out to women (all in the name of Islam, and much of what occurs goes contrary to Islamic teachings, infact is prohibited by Islam). I mean how many of us have heard of honor killings? Granted this atrocity is rooted in Arab culture, but it is widely practiced in Islamic countries of the middle east and even Pakistan and I once saw a documentary in which someone tried to justify it by quoting the verses of the Quran!!!  I also once saw a documentary on why women become suicide bombers and most of the reasons had more to do with the despicable way  women were treated rather than  any religious ideology. I realised that the documentaries were from a western perspective and therefore prejudicial, but there is no escaping the realities of the situation and the situation is that these things do occur.
So when I say there is a flaw in the Islamic Ummah, this is what I meant. We muslims instigate the environments whereby some of us become apostates and then we become very harsh on them. We have to CLEAN our societies first of all things that can lead a person to apostate then if he or she apostates then there is no excuse for them. It is for the same reason that I dont condone the penalty of death for adultery or the cutting off of the hand in say Nigeria, for example. When Sharia was fully implemented back in days of the four rightly guided Caliphs, ppl had no need to steal or commit adultery or any  other vices. Their physiological and civic needs were taken care of, so that anyone who did commit a crime that was punishable by death or cutting off of his limbs or anything else, was just exercising hedonistic tendencies and deserved what s/he got.

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
I wonder why the American and other Kuffar make noise and threats because one person is being tried by court on this issue. These hypocrites have been responsible for the deaths of Millions of Iraqis and Afghans.

Just last week the Blood-thirsty Army from the 'Bush' opened fire killed innocent citizens in a Masjid in Bagdad.
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

neozizo

Quote from: "HUSNAA"However, my views on this subject have nothing to do with an Islamic point of view really. It just has to do with the realities that we find ourselves in these days.
To my way of thinking, apostasy was punishable by death at the time of the prophet SAW and during the era when Islam was young vulnerable and didnt need any detractors. Let me put it this way. A muslim becoming an apostate is the same as a traitor who commits treason against his country and we all know treason is punishable by death.
AND
Quote from: "HUSNAA"It is for the same reason that I dont condone the penalty of death for adultery or the cutting off of the hand in say Nigeria, for example. When Sharia was fully implemented back in days of the four rightly guided Caliphs, ppl had no need to steal or commit adultery or any other vices. Their physiological and civic needs were taken care of, so that anyone who did commit a crime that was punishable by death or cutting off of his limbs or anything else, was just exercising hedonistic tendencies and deserved what s/he got.
I strongly advice you closely (re-)examine the full import and implications of these statements.

Also,you have mentioned some cases and reasons why some people choose to apostate,please (i am not fully aware of the case of the Afghani citizen) are you awre of his motivation to apostate?
Quote from: "Husnaa"A muslim becoming an apostate is the same as a traitor who commits treason against his country and we all know treason is punishable by death
Some people are ofv the view that apostasy and treason are entirely diffrent things,please why ,in your own case do you think otherwise?From this statement i gather(maybe wronglly) that you think death pen is okay for treason but you argue against it for apostacy,and could you please expantiate on the term 'commits treason against his country '.

HUSNAA

Whoa there!! Who's that PYT standing by the wicked looking car? surely not the place to hang this digital image? Look at the forum caption!! This belongs with the album section or a more light hearted forum like chitchat or something else.
PS Love yr boots!!