News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Should Nigeria continue to exist as one country?

Started by Anonymous, November 23, 2002, 07:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatee

ohh............. you are a muslim , and you don,t want sharia going to the south .............. interesting ! :o
 I think that , been a muslim and in south means sharia is down there in south , cos sharia is the way a proper muslim should live........... anyways maybe mean so other kind of man made sharia  .

Aydee Fella

never rat out yur friends n alwaiz keep yur mouth shut"

nura

Shebi you dey do something bad for south? I hope you no dey Ibadan as Shari'a don reach that side already!
agari Nakowa Mugu Sai Maishi

lionger

Frankly, if Nigeria splits it will be bad for both North and South, in the sense that it will become an india-pakistan situation. Some of you have been saying stuff about getting funding from the Arabs and blocking the river niger et cetera. Well face it the north is basically sahel savanna, with the ever-growing sahara around the corner. there aren't that much mineral resources, and the population still has relatively higer illiteracy levels. arab backing if it even occurs will not help that much. As for the south,even with their oil, educated populace and so on - all that will come to nothing because the east and west greatly distrust each other.

Personally i would like to see a united nigeria, but not at ALL costs. Many things will have to change; things just can't continue the way they are. For example, this Sharia matter. That on its own is an obstacle to any idea of one Nigeria, unfortunately or not. I really do not mean to insult anyone's beliefs but i've been reading comments on Nigerian  forums including this one for a very long time, and it seems you guys are very happy about the pervasion of Sharia in the North, whereas on other forums, the southerners are very angry about it. That is already a big indication that the basis for unity in nigeria does not exist yet. and frankly i don't think it ever will until all issues are laid to rest, all criminals brought to book, all stolen money retrieved, and the idea of ACCOUNTABILITY drilled into Nigeria's political elite.

Anonymous

What is even the main point of dividing Nigeria? This will bring catastrophy: This is so mad. If at all our forefathers didnt think Nija should stay as one...they wouldnt in the first place live it as it is

Blaqueen

Shariah is just a way of life, it has always been there.... it will do NOTHING to divide nigeria....

lol@ fatee, Gfella, and Mujahid!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

newayz..... without my southern friends... being a nigerian would be juss boring!!!!.. as much as we have stupid conflicts.. its just the ignorant people who are causing the wahala....and nigerians always have a way to make things better at the end of a loooong ugly day...
its our duty to educate and show tolerance by pointing out POSITIVE things... and condemning the negative...
da Hunniez Gettin Money Playin Niggaz Like Dummy

Ibro2g

QuotefyneDyneQueen

You have to be careful what you say, but I wasn't yanning I look forward to some level of separation because of Sharia ?going on in the north. I am a muslim like you but I don't what the Sharia coming to the ?south.

Nija must exist as one my friend. You have to understand that it wount be any good for any of us to derpart. And sharia, I hate to say this, I`m not on the other side, but do u actually believe that our norther states are really practising sharia? do u know they are all doing it for their own political campaignes, they are ruining the name of the sharia coz itz not even applied to all muslims. Wallahi sai wanda aka raina wa wayo shi ake tambaya. Besides, the judgements are still not carried out sharialy. Thevictims are the poor and less previledged, suma din saide basu iya turanci ba. Nijas sharia is a fraud and we should be ashamed of it, not killing other innocent peeps 4 it. If sharia was really applied, it will be a different story, but now u cant talk about splitting the country 4 sharia purposes when we ourself are not clean to carry out the actions. I need u to understand my friend, the world is coming to an end, things will only become worse, I know we must try to make it better, and that is my aim...I hope I get peeps to go wid me, but splitting a nation...man nija is peaceful fa, compared to other nations. Think about it.

gotta go for now
Adioz amigoz
Safety and Peace

nura

Even I who used to be an advocate of peaceful separation wants Nigeria as one now. I think we'll be much better as one country than as Federal Republic of North-west or Oil-Rich Republic of Ogoni. I think t is better to have Nigeria with resource control, shari'a and everything than nothing. I also think that Shari'a will not devide this country, as FDQ said it has always been here. May be all those people that are raising "Kayar Baya" were not aware that it has been here.

Well there is something new the stonning and the amputation, even that is not new and it does not involve those people that do not want it or that dont want to participate. And resource control of course it is okay let everybody control their resources.
agari Nakowa Mugu Sai Maishi

Egede1

Based on the models ascribed to Europe, I fondly suggest that the inhabitants of Nigeria would have seen great economic and social progression if the landmark known as Nigeria had been disintegrated into distinct tribes or along compatible tribes. The people of Europe are housed into countries of distinct ethnicity and language. It is not a surprise that most technological advancements in the world are coming out of Europe, Asia or USA where people are grouped according to their ethnicity or within a society that boasts of a dominate culture. Simply put, an American social scientist stated that culture translates into technological and industrial advancement. In the present day Nigeria, there are groups of people who would not want the country to move in a certain direction because of their cultural belief induced by religion or other forces. Nigeria as presently constituted tantamount to economic stagnation and political chaos.          

lionger

Egede1

It always seems like a great idea for everyone to go his own way, esp. when things are going well in the country, but exactly how many sections will Nigeria break into? Just two or three? The Yoruba and Igbo are bitter political rivals to this day, why would they want to stay together? And if they do break up, why would the Ibibio man want to be 'marginalized' by the Igbo? Or the idoma man by the yoruba? What will happen to the bini people? Will Nigeria break into more than 250 states, the overwhelming majority way too small to fend for themselves? Isn't this a recipe for disaster?

Since you have chosen Europe as a model, look at what has become of the Balkans over the last century and esp. the last decade. What a waste!

European countries have actually started to bring down nationalistic walls through economic intergration aka EU. This has yielded great benefits for the member nations, goals the recently inaugurated African Union is aiming at.Our world is becoming smaller and smaller. This is not the time to scatter, this is the time to unite!

Despite my increasing disillusion with the country largely as a result of OBJ's woefulfailure/incompetense, I still want to believe in one Nigeria. However, not at all costs, which is why I'm hugely disappointed with Obasanjo.

Ibro2g

You`ve made terrific points Mr.lionger. ammmmm Ummitah we have our president. (elect) (he introduces to a thier new world)
Safety and Peace