News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

MEMORABLE FOOD MOMENTS

Started by HUSNAA, June 28, 2006, 12:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUSNAA

Jama'a  Salaam

What are the memorable food moments in yr life? Here are some of mine.

That miyar kuka experience  I talked about in another thread was definitely one of them.

Others were my first taste of salmon,

my first taste of  corriander in a Thai noodle soup (it took some swallowing, but I love corriander now!!)

my first taste of cheddar cheese - that took some eating  also before I could begin to enjoy it.

My first taste of cod liver oil (ugh!! 'Orrible!)

My first taste of frog meat, (tastes like chicken legs, mind I didnt know I was eating frog, one of us asked what meat it was because it tasted like chicken and the host replied 'frogs'. One of us turned green under his skin, only you couldnt see the color cos he was black!!!)

my first taste of snake; it has same texture as fish flakes tastes like fish also

my first taste of russian caviar (I'm still coming to terms with eating caviar- still dont like it much)

my first taste of mushrooms also. Love those!! (I'd love to taste truffles some day).

my first taste of sushi. Its good but I think there is as much of karnin  danyen kifi as I can stand, although the sushi itself is odorless most of the time, but I think some fish oiliness got to me at last and I stopped eating it.
my first taste of a chinese delicacy - preserved eggs (they looked totally black grey and some other color but I had to try it!!

my first taste of cheese cake - yummy!!

my first taste of ginseng green tea ('orrible! but medicinal so now I'm okay with it)

Oh I forgot my first taste of Kadangare (lizard!!) when I was at boarding sch we did prankish things like knock'em senseless from the walls then we'd skin them and fry them up and eat!!  Wai ance kadangare yana maganin tarin fika!!

Another memorable food moment for me is when I wanted to boil an egg in a communal kitchen and a Chinese friend of mine was boiling something in the only pan in the kitchen on the only cooker. So because she was boiling something in its package, I asked if I could place my egg in the water and let them boil together.  She said OK. So I conversationally asked her what was in the sealed packet that she was boiling.  
'Donkey' she replied.
'What?' I asked I thought I misheard her
'Donkey'  she repeated I couldnt believe it still.
'Donkey?' I mimicked
'Yes' she said. I needed to be sure;
'Hee haw hee haw?' I cried
'Yes' she said her expression dead pan.
I still ate my egg  afterward!
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Fateez

Oh my God!! Husnaa u r one brave person! I'm into new things but frogs? lizards? snakes? i no fit.

My first taste of Ogbonno soup:

"...Whoever washed this plate is the worst dish-washer ever! How can you

say you've washed the bowl properly when i can taste soap in my food?

Abi you people want to poison me? Oh, you people are laughing? You

think it's a joke?..."

*sigh* I didn't know the soup is meant to taste like soap. :roll:

My first taste of Snail:

It was cooked in thick Egusi soup with oporoko (stock fish) and correct ugu.

"...Hmm, this new Aunty can cook o. This is so good, how can meat be so

crunchy on the outside yet so soft on the inside good? Haba you people

should stop laughing at me now: ba wai santi nake yi ba, naman nan fa

na da dadi."

Reply:

"Which kind nama? Garin santi har kin manta abincin da kike ci? Dodon kodi ne fa"

"Dodon me?"

"Dodon Kodi"

"Dodon me?"

"Dodon Kodi!!!

"Hang on, dodon kodi as in snail? Da gaske?

"*hisss* yar kauye kawai!"

Now i love it! Snail is sooo good. If you havent tried it make sure you

do cos it's really really nice.

My first taste of Banga Soup (palm kernels):

...I think i saw fireworks!

Still my number 1 soup everrr!
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

bakangizo

Kai Husnaa! You mean you've eaten all those things? Where do you live if I may ask? Na san dai a naija babu yawancin abubuwan nan. Ha. You get liver to taste a those things.

As for snail, I once decide to try it Unfortunately liver fail me at the last minute. I even bought it at Mama Cass Restaurant in Abuja. Haka nan nayi asaran kudina don na kasa ci.

bakangizo

Kai Husnaa! You mean you've eaten all those things? Where do you live if I may ask? Na san dai a naija babu yawancin abubuwan nan. Ha. You get liver to taste a those things.

As for snail, I once decide to try it Unfortunately liver fail me at the last minute. I even bought it at Mama Cass Restaurant in Abuja. Haka nan nayi asaran kudina don na kasa ci.

lionger

My first taste of kunnu (sp?), wow that was terrible. Mom got some from a neighbor as a gift and forced us all to drink a glass. Got used to it though and later found it to be quite refreshing at times.

My first taste of zobo--GOLD!

My first taste of kimchi (korean food, spicy fermented cabbage)  :shock: . That is probably the most insipid of all korean dishes IMHO. Looks appetizing but has a very strong smell and even more surprising taste. It took me three months b4 I could eat the stuff without squirming.

My first taste of chinese food was great! Thai was good too. Had much better first impressions of those than of korean food; which is unfortunate because I ate much more of the latter! Husnaa have you ever tried korean food? Some of it is pretty good actually - except for kimchi :P

Another memorable food moment was the taste of my first attempt at jollof rice. I forced myself to eat every last grain of that disaster. That was three years ago; haven't had the guts to try again since then.

Those are the only ones I can think of now..

ummita

Quote from: "Fateez"
Now i love it! Snail is sooo good. If you havent tried it make sure you

do cos it's really really nice.

Get out of here :shock: ............U jokin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U ate THAT!!!!? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww Fatee they r like slugs............

Believe me, within a sec I imagined u biting on its tentacles & mucous glands ........I had to run to my bag 2 grab this
to stop myself from puking!!!

PS: Intended sending u an important invitation to celebrate (something) but if u r planning on ordering snails for dessert, consider my invitation revoked!!!!![/b].
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

Fateez

Hehe, see. i used to think like that too...no way i was going 2 eat stuff

like that. I had it by accident and they didnt tell me wat i was eating until i

had finished. Hehe we were judging d book by its cover (or in this case...)

It's not da snails we see on da pathway everyday, they have special

farms dedicated to snails and some of them are huge! like da size of a

human hand (da snails, dat is).

Eeeeeew, no! It's not like dat fa. Hehe, no tentacles nor mucous glands. It

passes through a series of thorough cleaning, infact, it takes the experts

about a week or so  to clean it properly and take it out of da shell and

then it takes a really really long time to cook (say 3-5 hours). but in da

end, it's so worth it. plus it's not sticky or anything it's crunchy ...kinda

like cartilage...only better.

Hehe, even all those nose-in-the-air posh french restaurants serve it u

know, they call it L'escargot, but abeg snail na snail jare. It's available in

ur soup, in ur jollof rice, individually or even snails on a stick....

(mmmmmmmmmm)

Hehe, haba sister :) kinsan ba za mu yi haka ba da ke, infact to help u

celebrate da celebration, I have a very good customer who sells it

cheaper by da kilos, just email me a list of the guests and their

preferences (fried, barbecued, grilled, anything!) they'd love it! hehe

It's a delicacy.....

Oh! I'm craving it now

It looks more like this.....

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

gogannaka

Which one is the snail the red abi black one?if it is the black one,its like this one is burnt.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Fateez

Hehe, errrr...it's da black one and no, it's not burnt... fried meat looks like

that too doesnt it? Hehe, Oky, i've been going on about snails for a while

maybe someone shud try da snails so that we can have a 2nd opinion.

Since Bakan gizo has chickened out, Lionger, Husnaa and gogannaka

would any of you do da honours? :?:

amira

Quote from: "gogannaka"Which one is the snail the red abi black one?if it is the black one,its like this one is burnt.

u just made me laugh wit your post, u rite if its d black one den its burnt, you shud ask fateez to set you sum :lol:  :lol:
*Each day is definately defining me and finding me*

amira

oh i dint realised that she already offered you sum snails  :D
Eeeeeeeewwwwwwwww snails sqishy squashy yuk, i will definately pass on dat.
*Each day is definately defining me and finding me*

Fateez

A'a? You people should leave my snail 4 me o! If una no want, fine!

More for me!! :P  :P  Kai u people are making me laugh sef, So you people

think it's ok to eat offals (kayan ciki) su hanji da tumbi and God knows what.

Amma because i talk say i dey chop snail una dey eew me this eeew me

dat.... To shikenan ba komai ai... kuma idan kuka dandana, once u pop...

Bakan gizo me ya hana ka cin snail din? abeg tell these people, it wasnt

slimey, ko? Amira dearest...i just got a whole stash of deep fried and

seasoned snail complete with yajin dan kuli and tafarnuwa... care to join in?

gogannaka

I have been looking for a place to buy snail meat but i still cant get. I have finally agreed to try it (if i get it  :P )

HUSNAA

Quote from: "Fateez"Oh my God!! Husnaa u r one brave person! I'm into new things but frogs? lizards? snakes? i no fit.

I have an ironlined stomach I think :D Bani da kyama so sai, in ba kuda ne zai fada a abinci na ba, ko kuwa ina figar kaza, in ga wata mai rai tana daka tsere da kyankyaso a guje, ta cabke shi ta hadiye, and I think to myself, I am going to eat digested kyankyaso today!!

Quote from: "Bakan~Gizo"Kai Husnaa! You mean you've eaten all those things? Where do you live if I may ask? Na san dai a naija babu yawancin abubuwan nan. Ha. You get liver to taste a those things.

I live in Nigeria, but I have travelled somewhat. Na so I come take myself eat all those 'delicacies'.

Quote from: "GGNK"I have been looking for a place to buy snail meat but i still cant get. I have finally agreed to try it (if i get it  :P  ).

GGNK, go to Sabon Gari mana the town and book yrself into a bookateria. I am sure u will find snails there. Alternatively, I am sure ba za a rasa a 'yan kura ba, wajen inda inyamurai suke saida kayan abin cin su danye. However that means u'd need to cook 'em yrslf. Not sure that is a good idea though!! U might be put off by the sliminess.

I hear that snail mucus is good for the skin. It is now being marketed as a cosmetic.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

gogannaka

Eeeww,I think i have changed my mind to eat snail,thanks to husnaa for reminding me of that slimy,mucus like lubricant that aids the snail in coming in and out of its shell.