News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

TRIABALISM TRIABALISM TRIABALISM

Started by Anonymous, October 14, 2002, 08:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

First of all I'd like 2 say 2 thumbs up 4 this site. ALLAH ya kara taimakawa.

Secondly, I would like to raise an issue on concern, so that we could share our views. Basically am on about Tribalism. From my own point of view, Tribalism is one of the biggest issues faced by Nigerians as a whole. It is an issue faced by Nigerians, which one could relate as the source of some crisis faced by our people. It is quite frustrating the way wazobia is not as it is, It all means come, so it symbolises coming together as one, then why is it not so? Some experieces I've encountered was walking into a shop owned by a Yoruba woman and I get treated with less concern just because am hausa, and a yoruba gentleman walks in gets treated with more respect, which I find very annoying. I believe we should all be treated the same and equal. Its not about where one comes from, what language he/she speak, what type of food they eat, how their leaders rule or whether they communicate less differently than I do. When God created man he never did mention, classify yourselve into groups and speak differently, even when we do, he never mentioned dont accept others that are non yorubas, hausas or non Igbos, or did he? Just because she is  hausa, the parents will raise up world war fighting that she should not marry a yoruba man? Why is that so? What makes him different from a hausa man?
Another example is, I do surf Nigerian websites and from the impression am getting, as it comes from my own point of view, am not trying to be judgemental here, but tribalism does account on how yoruba people visit websites put up by a yoruba man & you get to see only the yorubas signing their guest books, or a hausa person signing an Igbo persons guest book and leaving nasty messages just because he/she is not hausa. Its like stick to your own people's thing going on about. I cant say, just because am hausa that means I will totally reject other tribes or I will not learn to fit in with them. Why the differentiating? Why the tribalism? Why cant we be neutral? Why cant we be together as one?

admin

Assalamu alaikum;
Ummita,

Thank you for posting this important topic. I think you have raised some important issues here. Lets get some comments and suggestions about it from everyone.

I also moved the topic from the Feedback Board to this, the General Board where it is more likely to get higher visibility.

Thanks and Haza Wasalam,
Kaini Kano ko a buhun barkono!!!

Blaqueen

yeah......... it does happen.......

but personally....... i got very tight friends from all over nigeria.. .and we dont fall for the tribalism madness....
although i've come across mad ignorant people... its always good to think about the good people who make a difference...

i'm s'pose to be on strike.... but i cldnt resist this topic... nwayzzzz... back to my strike..... dont miss meeh  :P
da Hunniez Gettin Money Playin Niggaz Like Dummy

Dan-Sokoto

Assalaam!

For a start, FD Queen whats hap? We haven't seen you for a while. Just about raising your issue with admin in order possibly to go for your 'biko', but suddenly you re-surfaced. thanks be to all-mighty.

Now, to the issue of the moment. Tribalism, is a hard fact. It does exist in our society,unfortunately. However, am not trying to exculpate hausas, but honestly speaking, the hausas are less tribalistic in the nigerian enterprise. Example, on the world wide web of today, ninety-nine percent of e-groups from and on nigeria are by non-hausas. Issues they discuss? Abusing and denigrating hausa-fulani. Even web-site on Nigerian affairs like the nigeriaworld.com don't even publish anything or a posted article that is complimentary about hausa-fulani. Compare that with gamji.com which though a northern website by a hausa-fulani but publishes all articles by any nigerian complimentary or non-complimentary to the cause of hausa-fulani. So to me, on issues of tribalism in nigeria, hausa-fulanis are only reactive and playing a catching game as against the rest of the country that are pro-active and out to demonize the hausa-fulanis.

I have more insight on this issue, but will like to hold on now in order to gauge the direction of the discussion.

Dan-Sokoto

Anonymous

Salamu alaikum
TRibalism exists only in the mind of the illiterate.
For the educated person, your cultural affliliation is nothing but another function of the world society.
Basically babu wanda zai fara cin mutunci wata kabila batareda sasan wani abu game da wannan kabilar ba.
Mu hausawa yarabawa sun daukemu jahillai a boko whilst mukuma mundauke si maguzawa kazamai.
All are prejudices are based on experiences.
Allah ya sawwake.
Bissalam.

Dan-Sokoto

Mallam Amin!

We are not talking of perception which exists only in the mind. We are talking about something which is real and cancerous in our society. If you have not experienced  tribalism, i m sure many nigerians have. Its just like you telling african americans that, racism does not exist.

Please how do we overcome or minimize this problem in our society?

Dan-Sokoto

Anonymous

Salam,
Iam almost an addict 2 the internet but I never know there is a beutiful thing going on here until I was invited to read this topic. Well, I know about the site, but God, u guys are doing really great. Keep up the good job!!
I read ummit's view and all the other replies. The sensitivity of this topic can never be overemphasized as this is very crucial in the healthy development of the nation.
The most worrying situation is how this disease has eaten so deep; imagine situations in our tertiary institutions. Schools' environments seems to be very healthy but nowadays the situation is very terrible. 70% of schools riot starts from one tribal fight or the other. My point here is, we know academic environments to be a model to other communities and if these are happening then where do those that were not chanced to go to schools learn from?!!!
I feel one of the best way to eradicate this is through the schools. Well, the NYSC programme is also in effect but truly it is not helping at all; what with the graduate influencing their posting and rejecting posting letters to the southern states?
Media houses could be another way especially for the millions of non-educated citizenry perhaps proving to them that we are one as ummita rightly pointed.

Fulanizzle

Tribalism.......hmmm
that is  a problem that will never be solved in nija... just like trying to stop racism....

As long as people differ from each other, there will always be this mess happening...

Before anyone misuderstands me, I am  no tribalist....

But this new generation arent as hard-minded as the older generations are about different tribes....

But still lutta trabalism goes on! It hurts me so Wallah to see these tribal fights and people getting hurt or loosing their dear lives over this useless tribal dispute!!!!

And people wonder why it is almost impossible for Nigeria  to PROGRESS!!!!!
NO CO OPERATION!!!!! NO LOVE!!!! NO SECURITY!!!!!
In  offices, a man from Tribe A will try his best to see the down fall of someone from Tribe B... I just dont get this!!!!

Tribes beefin with other Tribes  and later on when "NIGERIA" is mentioned, all those same tribes will raise their hands up!!!!!  WE R ALL THE SAME- BLACKS-NIGERIANS-AFRICANS-EARTHINGS- oookay maybe i went a bit too far...

still Trabalism brings nada  but pain, hatered, and regrets.....

May Allah guide and help us...AMEEEEN :d
)

Anonymous

This na one great topic for all this hausa, igbo,yourbas infact all of us. See this Amin which kyan only for mind of illertrate, that one na complete lies. Tribalism exists whether you say or no. It is faced bu Nijans as Ummita mentioned(ehemm by d way credits 2 u). By the river again, emmm Ummmita incase you forgot...you are not hausa ::)

Dyme whether all southerners or your freinds or not. You wont ignore the fact that triabalism doesnt exist. It is no madness but what I will call reality in action

Dan_Sokoto its not a one to one, point of view here. You cant judge your tribe as less tribalist. Hausa, Yoruba Igbos, Ummita & Dyme (sorry) and even fulanis are all tribalist. Dan _sokoto, If I was in your shoes thats the same thing I will say. All Nijanz are tribalist.

The only person I agreeded a littul bit was Fula wetin bi di gyel name sef? if no bi as I fit gane.........wallahi i go call you tribalist number one. because I see no reason for that yuwa nickname titul, why no one call him/herself hausalinicious,Igbocious,or yorubacious, but as I grab....it is so ok 8) ;) :D

Egede1

Could this post titled ?TRIBALISM? a display of disingenuous shenanigan from the products of feudalistic northern Nigeria? If this debate is born out of soul searching and wiliness to shun the status quo in Nigeria, the country maybe on her way to recovery.  
However, I have been appalled to read the display of lack of ingenuity from northern Nigerians who act in one instance and may want us to believe otherwise. It was a sorry moment for me to watch northern Nigerian lads postulate in denouncing ethnic bias (tribalism) in the lowest denominator. However, talk is very cheap and precipitous actions are very expensive. Did it occur to the contributors to lookup themselves in the mirror and question their sincerity on the subject matter? It is very amazing to watch, sincere or not, the northern Nigerian elements berating tribalism that long served and continue to serve as benevolent spirit to them. It must be recalled that northern Nigerians have immensely benefited from the institutionalized tribalism erected by the federal govt. of Nigeria led by their grandfathers, fathers, uncles and brothers. In fact, there is no doubt that these fellows who indulged in this mockery would trace the footsteps of their tribal-monger past generations into Nigerian government. Introduction of ethnic bias (tribalism) has been the hallmark of feudalistic northern Nigerian since the amalgamation of northern and southern Nigerian protectorates in 1914. In 1959, the northern Nigerian political leaders introduced nepotism, ethnicity and religious intolerance into Nigerian Civil service. Couple years later, the northern Nigerian feudal saw the implementation of institutionalized tribalism-quota system in the recruitment of officer cadets into Nigerian Armed forces. If the intakes of cadets into Nigerian Army were based on meritorious principles rather than tribalism, Nigeria may not have witnessed the likes of Babangida, Abacha, Isa Bukar, Buka Dimka, A Haruna, Nethan Nehu, Murtala Mohammed, M. Buhari etc. When you thought that the northern Nigerian leaders are done making tribalism official act of the government, they slammed Nigerians with J.A.M.B (Joint Admission and Matriculation Board). Yes, the introduction of J.A.M.B was the final sword the feudalistic northern Nigerian struck into the heart of Nigerian academia. I am not surprised that Nigeria is devoid of anything progressively constructive be it academics, politics, economy, industry and even human beings.        

nura

People like Egede1 are not supposed to be in this forum I move for his expulsion by the admin. This forum should be viewed as a way to improve the Nigerian Nation Socially, Politically, Educationally, Morally etc. Believe me I have learned a lot from this web site and I believe that Allah will surely reward Salisu U. Danyaro for creating this medium but I can not take insults from people like Egede1. He wants to practice the Thisday style, IRRESPONSIBILITY. He is not an objective writer, his entire contribution is rubbish and subjective and hence rejected. It therefore does not belong in a civilised community. Let's ignore him therefore and help get a solution to this menace that has been bugging this country from inception. People like Egede1 makes you think that Nigeria can not work, in fact because of similar souls I used to advocate for a Peaceful Separation.

Let's discuss minus Egede1 and his ilk please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111
agari Nakowa Mugu Sai Maishi

Egede1

AbuMujahid

Your call to censor me from the web and incoherent ranting without proffering alternative to the subject matter or at least suggest solution to the institutionalized tribalism tell all about you-a borderline imbecile. If you are a fit contributor to this debate, you should have highlighted where my post nose-dived. I had expected you to say that there is no tribal or sectional based quota system adapted in the recruitment of officer?s cadets into Nigerian Armed Forces or that JAMB is not erected for ethnic or sectional baiting. Both federal and state public services are strictly tuned to cater for certain ethnic groups. How could you stamp out tribalism in Nigeria when government has institutionalized it? Your buffoonery premise smacks of total idiocy and stream of thought begs for help. Look dude, I am interested in going the whole nine yards in solving the social ills in our society but all the facts should be laid out on the table.        

Blaqueen

egede... u wrote sooo much... but did NOT make sense.. whutsoever...
da Hunniez Gettin Money Playin Niggaz Like Dummy

Ummulhuda

Break it right there you two! I mean AbuM and E1. Mudslinging is Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad for this site. E1, no abuses please. Each and every individual on this forum ?has a unique intellect peculiar to him/her. There is no grain of imbecility in anyone of us.
Secondly, you were out of line. Everyone of us is on this forum because we want to bridge this gap of tribal individualism. Most of us here may be northerners but you forget that within us (northerners) we are a multitude of tribes, and we like and respect each other. This mutual understanding of one another which was generated and is greatly fostered by our religion Islam is what makes us Northerners a cohesive force (to be reckoned with!) and that is one of the reasons why the Southern part of Nig. feels threatened by the North. You see E1, all the diatribe spouting from the south is an indication of a people insecure with themselves. Live and let live is a motto of a people who are confident of their identity and are therefore willing to allow others to co exist side by side with them. I hope you have been to Kano at least once in your life then you will see what I mean. ?
As for the Northern Hegemony or what ever that is supposed to mean. I take it you are referring to the north 'hijacking' the leadership. Well dude, its only natural! Want to know why?
I will tell you. We've had practice at leading nations for hundreds of years. What did you think the Hausa Bakwai was all about? Or the TransSaharan trade for that matter? Do you think it would have been possible without good governance? Did you know that the British resorted to indirect rule in the North because they found a sophisticated hierarchical power structure to rival their own? They were so impressed, they left it intact! Tell me an instance of this  happening in the South.
I will tell you something else! A number of years ago, a British diplomat was summarily deported back to his homeland on charges of spying. He had to leave without salvaging any of his belongings. Some of the incriminating evidence found on him was a summary of the characteristics of the three Major tribes in Nig.The Igbos, Hausa- Fulani and Yoruba. Care to know his conclusions?
Igbos are very industrious ppl
Hausa -Fulani are very good administrators (take note of that!!!!)
Yorubas? If I tell you what he said here, I will start a third world war and that would be counter productive! But honestly speaking this is a true account and not made up so don't turn your spits at me! And for any Yoruba on this forum I appologise if I offend.

wazoba2000

I totally agreed with you Egede1. Thanks Egede1 for telling the truth, even though truth can be very bitter. ?AbuMujahid I am very surprise at your comment that Egede1 should be censor from this site just because he is telling the truth. Is this not what democracy is all about? ?Ummulhuda to reply to your comment you do not know what you are saying, please go and read the history of Nigeria, mostly that of Yoruba Kingdom. ?You will know that the Yoruba had the best ruling system in Nigeria before the British came. ?Please for once lets all have an intelligent conversation and tackled the issues that Egede1 is addressing. Peace all !!!