News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

TRIABALISM TRIABALISM TRIABALISM

Started by Anonymous, October 14, 2002, 08:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhammad

Salam All

Egede 1, you have once again succeeded in fragmenting this forum along ethnic lines. I am sure this is not the reason for creating this forum.
       Instead of attacking individuals who have nothing to do with shaping  the political outlook of the country- Ummita, dan Sokoto admin or Kamil Awwal, I suggest you channel you anger or rather ignorance to more fruitful means. You can challenge the introduction of JAMB in the courts or the national assembly.
I have noticed a flagarant lie in your reply regarding the competence of people like Buhari or Babangida. Both served in the Civil war with distinction. Buhari fought gallantly against Chadians at Maiduguri. Babangida took control of the radio House at Lagos when it was taken over by coupists in the 70's. I don't know what more to add to proove their competence. Were they Democrats, NO. But that does not make them dumb or stupid.
You solidly potrayed your ignorance when you said the  person " Nethan Nehu" could not have been in the Army  had it been more open. From the name, it will be assumed you meant "Netanyahu" a genaral in the Isreali Army.
Finally, If you are offended by what the "feudalistic" Northerners write in this posts, then DO NOT RETURN PLEASE. If you return, then you must abide by all the rules that govern this site, whether or not you think they are fair.  
This is my opinion not the admin's.  

Blaqueen

talkin about tribalism....

i remember one lady... she was soo nice soooo sweet, i call her my aunty...
whenever i wanted.. i could go into her house and take all the plaintain i wanted... blessings :D
she takes meeh out wit her kids... picnics, swimming, bbqs, EVERYWHERE.... during xmas she cooks the best dishes and sends it over to our house..
this sweet neighbor of ours... baked all the cakes for my sibling's birthdays.. and even juss baked us a cake for the heck of it...
she took care of meeh and my sisters and brothers when my parents went to saudi for hajj...
she took meeh to the hospital when i was sick while my parents are away..
her husband helped my brother with his yoruba h/work.. my brother got the highest grade in the class filled with yoruba students....
the lady and her family are juss SUPER! i can go on and on and on and on... aunty gbemi, one in a million!
meeting someone like her... how can I EVER dislike yoruba people or xtians?...

a beg jare... my uncle is even married to a yoruba lady...  :D
da Hunniez Gettin Money Playin Niggaz Like Dummy

lionger

QuoteBreak it right there you two! I mean AbuM and E1. Mudslinging is Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad for this site. E1, no abuses please. Each and every individual on this forum ?has a unique intellect peculiar to him/her. There is no grain of imbecility in anyone of us.
Secondly, you were out of line. Everyone of us is on this forum because we want to bridge this gap of tribal individualism. Most of us here may be northerners but you forget that within us (northerners) we are a multitude of tribes, and we like and respect each other. This mutual understanding of one another which was generated and is greatly fostered by our religion Islam is what makes us Northerners a cohesive force (to be reckoned with!) and that is one of the reasons why the Southern part of Nig. feels threatened by the North. You see E1, all the diatribe spouting from the south is an indication of a people insecure with themselves. Live and let live is a motto of a people who are confident of their identity and are therefore willing to allow others to co exist side by side with them. I hope you have been to Kano at least once in your life then you will see what I mean. ?
As for the Northern Hegemony or what ever that is supposed to mean. I take it you are referring to the north 'hijacking' the leadership. Well dude, its only natural! Want to know why?
I will tell you. We've had practice at leading nations for hundreds of years. What did you think the Hausa Bakwai was all about? Or the TransSaharan trade for that matter? Do you think it would have been possible without good governance? Did you know that the British resorted to indirect rule in the North because they found a sophisticated hierarchical power structure to rival their own? They were so impressed, they left it intact! Tell me an instance of this ?happening in the South.
I will tell you something else! A number of years ago, a British diplomat was summarily deported back to his homeland on charges of spying. He had to leave without salvaging any of his belongings. Some of the incriminating evidence found on him was a summary of the characteristics of the three Major tribes in Nig.The Igbos, Hausa- Fulani and Yoruba. Care to know his conclusions?
Igbos are very industrious ppl
Hausa -Fulani are very good administrators (take note of that!!!!)
Yorubas? If I tell you what he said here, I will start a third world war and that would be counter productive! But honestly speaking this is a true account and not made up so don't turn your spits at me! And for any Yoruba on this forum I appologise if I offend.

I disagree with several comments you made here partaining to domination of political leadership by the Hausa-fulani and the superiority of their emirate system. A quick look at portions of nigeria's history is in order here.

Firstly, the explanation for the dominance in national leadership is very simple: in July 1966, a countercoup led by Northern military officers over threw Ironsi's government. they subsequently purged (in other words, killed) most of the igbo, midwest and a few western military officers. As such the North dominated the armed forces and thus has dominated national leadership! It has absolutely nothing to do with how long the Hausa-fulani have practised governance. I could agree that the northern politicians are the best at their profession in Nigeria but i'm sure you won't call corrupt military dictatorship good governance.

NOw to the subject of indirect rule in colonial Nigeria. The British used this method to rule most of their colonies in Africa and Asia. This policy was very successful in northern nigeria, worked to some extent in the west and was a bit disastrous in the East. Why? Because of the different forms of government practised by each region.
The emirates were centralized governments and as such the emir was a supreme leader; his word was final(correct me ifi'm wrong here). After the British subdued them, the emirs kept their titles, but were now salaried district heads, responsible for peacekeeping and tax collection, and responsible to the British district officers. The emirate system made the british job of governance too easy. For this reason it was culturally very easy for the northerners to accept colonial rule.
In the west this policy had measured success because in the Yoruba government, the Oba was not quite a supreme leader. In fact if he took action without consulting the council of chiefs he was forced to commit suicide. As such, the Yorubas were a bit uncomfortable with british rule.
The East, however, did not have any elaborate system of governemnt. Among the Igbo, the highest form of government was the the village, each with its own council of elders. They never had kings and thus the idea of one man ruling over tehm was foreign and infact quite unacceptable. The Igbo were thus antagonized by the Warrant chiefs and their british overlords. This led to occasional unrest, the most famous of which is the Aba women't revolt of 1929.

Thus the north was quite comfortable with british rule, whereas the south wasn't. This is why most of the founding fathers or agitators for nigerian independence were southerners.

Anonymous

Tribalism: I am half bendelite. You see tribalism is not only based on Hausa or the northerners. Ppl from Anambra, Oyo eg: Plateau girls and Akwa Ibom, these ppl dont interract well. Among the southerners, there is tribalism in between them. So this tribalism does not regard only the Hausa. As hausa are always blamed as tribalist: here this!!! WWhen I informed my daddy's ppl over my suitor, as per am getting or will soon be married to a hausa man. I stood up, trashing the guord of palmwine and shout (ABOMINATION, not in my life time). So if hausas are tribalist what makes the northerners any better to readjust this issue.

Accepting other ppl their values and culture will definately make Nigeria better. How can ppl like Egede & Lionger obviously get the picture that northers are not tribalsit, when they have refused to fit in with them talkless of knwing them well to sum up a judgement.

Anonymous

Ii meant if hausa are tribalist what makes the southerners any better.? I have to be honest am not in support. be you a northerner souther it still doesnt matter we are all humans

Blaqueen

millicent thank u!!!!!! ;D
i even have bendelite cousins!!!!!!! we're all one.. HUMANS!

i'm sure if every nigerian sat down and traced their family tree.. they'll see that they dont come from a "pure" tribe... everyone is MIX!!!! insult others.. ur insulting urself!!!!!!

as for tribalism...
during the conflict in kaduna... i know a hausa family who protected an igbo xtian and his family...
da Hunniez Gettin Money Playin Niggaz Like Dummy

lionger

milicent

fyi i have MANY northern friends and have lived in the north for many years. i don't know what you saw in any of my posts that indicates that i think northerners are tribalists, and that southerners arent, or that i dislike northerners.  tribalism is big problem in Nigerian politics. nobody is saying that southerners aren't tribalist; of course they are! exactly why a a schism in nigeria would not mean the south will become very prosperous.

FDQ i've been reading your posts for a long time b4 i decided to post comments on this forum n i must say that i admire your cool-headed optimistic apporach. obviously its hard for ppl here to see but i don't hate northerners. i know about the heroic acts by some muslims and christians during the kaduna riots. and you may be right about the family tree thingy; my father's family lived in zaria a long time ago until the pogroms of 1966. His first language is hausa, though he is in fact not of hausa origin. my mother is from the nigerdelta.  

so yes we should all learn to accept each other, but naija's problems are not simple. as much as we'd like it we can't just hold hands, sing a song and expect all the problems to blow away. nope. some drastic change has to occur; and it has to start with leadership.

Anonymous

Ummul

"Igbos, Hausa- Fulani and Yoruba. Care to know his conclusions?
Igbos are very industrious ppl
Hausa -Fulani are very good administrators (take note of that!!!!)
Yorubas? If I tell you what he said here, I will start a third world war and that would be counter productive! But honestly speaking this is a true account and not made up so don't turn your spits at me! And for any Yoruba on this forum I appologise if I offend. "

I am a pround Yoruba man,   the Yoruba have been extremely good administrator, industrious and inventive.  I would take the British spy article with a pinch of salt. All ethnic group in Nigeria have good quality and if Nigeria separate none of us would starve, we would all progress. I am for a peaceful separation of Nigeria.

Egede1

Amin, you wrote ?Egede1, you have once again succeeded in fragmenting this forum along ethnic lines?. ?I am not quite sure that I have contributed to any debate on the forum before now. But if my intuition serves me right the subject matter teeters along ethnic lines hence tribalism. ?

I do not subscribe to any form tribalism in Nigeria. My post kicked and will continue to kick against institutionalized tribalism. I do not have qualms with the ranting of the Mr. Amin but the Amin did neither fault the QUOTA SYSETEM tailored toward ethnic bias nor that JAMB was erected for ethnic baiting. The arrogance you exhumed when you said ? You can challenge the introduction of JAMB in the court or the national assembly? was understandable. In fact, you are right. ?I have nothing against anybody in Nigeria as my best friend is from northern Nigeria but we must breakdown any government policy that had ethnic aroma robbed all over it. Any adult in Nigeria is matured enough to choose his or her friend from any part of the country. Nonetheless, I will not stand the instance of a fine Nigerian military officer that can not protect my interest because the officer is not from my ethnic group.

Mr. Amin, with all due respect, you should not put words into my mouth. In my post, there was no place ?COMPETENCE? was referenced. And come to talk about competence, which is a subjective reference, every soldier in Nigeria army served in the Civil war with distinction. ?The ill of quota system is that it allows individual who could not have gone through the test of the moment to permeate the system. The rigid test is not only to get rid of those who are academically below par but lacking in character too. ?One of the major problems that saw Nigeria on the wayward path is tribal quota. It is rather unfortunate that you could not remember northern Nigerian military officers who did not make it to the position of Head of State. I could have been wrong in the spelling of his name as ?Nethan Nehu? but sure was a Lieutenant in Nigerian Army ?signals? in 1966.

In addition, I have to duff my hat to the lady who summoned the courage to raise this issue of tribalism in Nigeria. This canker worm is eating into the fabric of our national unity and should be stopped every place it has existed. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Anonymous

Egede 1, I think you are addressing the wrong person  :-X it was Amin that replied and not the Admin. Check again and see

Egede1

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. The post has been edited and directed to the right person.

fatee

We cannot draw a blank our differences,
But we should live to understand the differences.
(sardauna of sokoto)

nura

I am not tribalist. I live very well with other tribes and I think all of us do so. I think Ummita's objective in bringing this topic up for discussion is to help increase our tollerance level in respect of living with other people.

For me and most of us your tribe or where you come from does not matter so also your religion. The yard stick I and I think most people use in judging people is their disposition towards me and most atimes you'll find that they have a favourable one. Which means good people irrespective of tribe, section, creed or religion consider me good enough to relate with.

But still there are people who are very subjective, they look at your race or religion; tribe or where you come from. These people are highly judgemental, for instance because I am from the North some of these people think I am not a correct guy or because I dont drink alcohol or smoke or even because of my religion. These people are everywhere, North, West, East, Muslims, Christians etc. I seriously think that it is because of these type of people that Ummita started the topic. It therefore does not make sense to be subjective in discussing such an important National Issue. Lets forget Abacha, IBB, Buhari or any other person their generation has gone and they are eating into ours. Lets stop them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111
agari Nakowa Mugu Sai Maishi

Ummulhuda

QuoteLets forget Abacha, IBB, Buhari or any other person their generation has gone and they are eating into ours. Lets stop them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111
Let's get rid of the whole topic! Raises my delicate heart balance whenever I look at it. I motion for its closure. Any seconds?........................
Oh I see we are ALL agreed!
Well that makes a change! Now if we could only agree to live peaceably together............
Admin, Put an iron gate and a couple of security guards over the topic and let's have some PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Anonymous

Peace, to the Administrator, Contributors and Readers.
As we all know Tribalism is a serious issue affecting our country. I agree with most of the points made by Ummita. Based on personal experiences I too have been subjected to tribalism even though I am of part Southern parentage. What gets to me is the way they say this or that politician from the North is favoring me (personally!)
If you get into a slangin' match. You're accused of a being an apologist for the imaginary hegemony. If you say nothing, then your silence is considered as guilt. You can't win. If we are to be honest Yorubas and Ibo's are the worst offenders, even towards themselves. ;D