News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

AREWA

Started by Abut, February 09, 2004, 11:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WATERSPIDER

QuoteHOWEVER NIGERIA'S PROBLEMS TODAY ARE ENTIRELY OF ITS OWN MAKING AND HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH BRITISH RULE.
TO GO ON SHOUTING ABOUT THE DAMAGE OF THE COLONIAL RULERS WHO LEFT FORTY YEARS AGO AND BLAMING THEM FOR TODAY'S PROBLEMS IS A CONVENIENT WAY OF AVOIDING DOING ANYTHING TO SOLVE PRESENT PROBLEMS. NIGERIA IS MUCH BIGGER THAN BRITAIN WITH TWICE THE POPULATION AND SHOULD BE WEALTHY. WHERE HAS ALL ITS MONEY GONE? THE BRITISH DONT HAVE IT.
I agree with mr david we have come a long way from 1960 but have not actually gotten anywhere.I am tired of reading posts from educated people that should know better than look for a second hand excuse to Nigerias problems.
The british did not steeal nigerias oil wealth and put it in swiss banks.
Nigerias "MAIN PROBLEM" has been one "LEADERSHIP".Since the events of 1966 we have had a defeciency in such a necessary comodity.
In Adam smiths factors of production he listed:capital,land,labour and enterpreneur(manager)
I beleive the enterpreneur is the most important of this factors. some may define enterpreneur as a resource manager . So in Nigerias case our resource managers have actually turned out to be resource mis-mnagers.
nd in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years

Gimbiya

I am truly with Dave. you see one thing that I have learned about northerners is that they hate constructive critisims, so we always like to point fingers at someone else. Yes indeed nigeria was colonised by britain, but is that the reason we are going to keep using for our own neglegence? can't we just move on, the past is past and there's a lot of countries that were colonised before and after Nigeria who have move on to another level. For example U.S. was a colonized country but look at them now they are like the world leaders, and also what happend to South Africa? see we should just get up our lazy asses and start doing somethig for the good of our grandchildren or great-grand children future.
color=pink] Knoledge Saves Lives--- FAAWIN[/color]

madori

...Nigerias "MAIN PROBLEM" has been one "LEADERSHIP".Since the events of 1966 we have had a defeciency in such a necessary comodity......

Thats right! but whos gonna correct that for us? Like Gimbiya said "we should just get up our lazy asses and start doing somethig for the good of our grandchildren or great-grand children future" I believe thats the point!!! Shikenan

fastboi

It seems Mr Hill has a way of persuading people to agree with him. No I'm just kidding, yes even I do agree with him, we alone need to stand up and change things. But I do feel that I have been grossly misunderstood. I studied history in secondary school, and if anybody knows what it's like, then you'll understand my point of view. I am not sitting on my "lazy ass" and "pointing fingers", I simply wanted to highlight what I believe is one of the roots of our problems. Now, I know it may have sounded a bit naieve or perhaps uneducated, but you shouldn't blame me, it's what I know. We learn everyday, and since my posting any replies here I've talked to many people about the issue. And I must admit that currently, our people, our leaders are doing nothing to change the country for the better. They are infact doing everything they can ( and they can do a lot) to make things worse for the rest of us while they benefit. I was and still am appalled. The older I get and become a more active member of the society, the more frightening it gets. Sometimes I even feel the urge to leave the country, but what good will that do (even though it's not a bad idea, lol). It's a pretty big mess, and we have serious work to do. I still believe good can be done.
 heard that you r addressed as you r dressed!

fastboi

QuoteI am truly with Dave. you see one thing that I have learned about northerners is that they hate constructive critisims, so we always like to point fingers at someone else. Yes indeed nigeria was colonised by britain, but is that the reason we are going to keep using for our own neglegence? can't we just move on, the past is past and there's a lot of countries that were colonised before and after Nigeria who have move on to another level. For example U.S. was a colonized country but look at them now they are like the world leaders, and also what happend to South Africa? see we should just get up our lazy asses and start doing somethig for the good of our grandchildren or great-grand children future.

This is an example of how I have been greatly misunderstood. I simply mentioned the colonisation bit so as to help us understand the roots of our problems. I did not say "it's the brits fault let them come and handle it". If you read what I said carefully maybe you would get it right. And about northerners hating "constructive criticism"...please are you serious? What does that even mean? I for one do not hate any kind of criticism, I criticise myself a lot and my people (the northerners you almost insulted). It is the only way forward, plus I was simply sharing my own opinion and in return I was hoping I could learn and understand more. Is that what you call "hating constructive criticism"? Gimbiyar Kano not all people are alike!

Guduma

Yes I agree that lack of good leadership indeed is the bane of our problems. We have over the years lacked people with good intentions to rule us. The colonial masters have also refused to let us go for obvious teasons, that makes our independence a fluke. They employ all kinds of tactics to decieve us in spending our wealth foolishly. The recently concluded commonwealth conference has turned out to be a wasteful extravagant jamboree, the same with All Africa Games. The two have achieved absolutely nothing but to make our masses poorer.

fastboi

Finally, someone who understands my point. This is exactly what I was trying to get to.  They left us forty whatever years ago, yes it's in the history books. But reality, what's on ground is quite different. They ( colonial masters, west) have immense power and influence in almost every thirdworld government in existence. We owe them billions, so because of that, they ususally dictate government policies to us, tell us what to do. Not once I tell you, have they ever made any government do anything commendable, progressive or pro-development. Instead it's always something adverse to the country, the people. Has anyone ever heard of " NEO COLONIALISM"? A lot of bullcrap goes on in the shadows most of us aren't aware of. Sometimes you have God-fearing nigerians who really want to do good for their people, but they never get that opportunity, even as presidents and leaders! Obasanjo might be one of them ( though I am quite displeased with his government's performance as yet). WE have the sole responsibility of fixing issues no doubt, and our leaders should make the first step, but let me assure you there are outside forces making  it hell for those wanting to change things.

lionger

Forget about the darn colonial masters! This thread is about the relatively deplorable state of the North in comparison to the rest of the country. Are they responsible for that? Please let's get back to the topic. It's even debatable whether Obasanjo's name should be mentioned here.

fastboi

Fine, lets. So the north is in a deplorable state, worse than almost everyother part of the country even. Lets discuss that. And the first thing I'd like to know is how did the north get to where it is today? What exactly led to it's current deplorable state? Or did we just find ourselves here Lionger?

Guduma

Lionger we can continue beating around the bush on how the becomes under developed, but the fact and crux of the matter is the continued misplacement of priorities by our leaders still squirming under the yoke of colonialism. The leaders appear to be in total confusion whenever we are to decide on what is beneficial to the majority.
In 1987 the then Bauchi State Governor Col. Chris Abutu Garuba awarded a contract for the construction of an olympic size swiming pool in Bauchi, the capital. Believe me sincerely the brand new boreholes were hurriedly sunk at the site, while the town of Bauchi had no portable drinking water then. The question to ask here is that for God's sake what has Bauchi State as a  people got do with an olympic size swiming pool? The majority of the people would rather opt for good roads, good medical care, quality education etc.
It is my belief that such white elephant were executed not only in Bauchi State, but all over the north. It is time our leaders begin to re order their priorities to suit our needs and not for anything else.

Eskimo

SAMBA I BELIEVE WHAT I LIKE IF YOU LIKE BELIEVE WHAT YOU DONT LIKE. THAT IS YOUR HEADACHE. YOU CANT STOP ME BELIEVEING WHAT I LIKE. LIKE YOU SAID THIS IS KANO ONLINE FORUM NOT VILLAGE.
color=blue]NOBODY is PERFECT and I am NOBODY.[/color]

Eskimo

Salam,
Arewa is in deplorable state..it is not just a matter of criticism but giving a way forward.

I think the way forward is not in blaming the colonialist or who  ever.

They exploited us in the past ofcourse. But how many nations like us were exploited and now they are fast developing while we are reterding with the speed of light..errr I mean sound.

Lionger e bi like Obasanjo dey settle you. ;D
color=blue]NOBODY is PERFECT and I am NOBODY.[/color]

Dante

Abut

We have discussed this issues from various angles,lets start getting ideas on the way foward,how do we get our thoughts translated into action.That is the real challenge my brothers(n sisters,in the interest of peace) ;D