News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

AREWA

Started by Abut, February 09, 2004, 11:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhammad

salam
Abut i have no idea why people like yourself tend to view issues through a narrow prism of ethnic chauvanism. It never ceases to amaze me when people continue to complain about the state of arewa (what ever that is). If you are really concerned, then you should perhaps stage a revolution and  institute a compulsory free education.
AND THEN WHAT?
That is the question Abut. there are countries where the educational achievement is almost 80% but they still live in misery. I am not saying education is not important but to represent it as the only way one could better himself is almost stupid.
Fact: In 1906 only 6% of americans went to high school yet the country with the most self-made rich people was america.
You see what the arewa people ought to do is be 'responsible'. Being responsible means doing the right thing at all time.
Finally, as a muslim, you primary constituency should be that of people in the islamic faith not people who have the same culture as yourself. For me a Kataf (Kaduna)  is no better than an Urhobo (Rivers)
I am so tired of this kind of debate.
Lets move on!

Samba

Lionger, you said we are only talking Norht, How?  North or South it is still nigeria, ko? If North and south can't unite, which is nearly impossible, then why not separate that way the south cannot entervene with Arewa affair,

You are true again Abut :), only an educated man doesn't mean he will not be a criminal,  me man,  I understand your point, it is true only I see this as a problem for Arewa, Nigeria, Africa, the Third world and Muslims as a whole I can't see a separation in any, it is a national and a continental problem.

The solution rest on our shoulders, it is my responsiblity and yours also, I have education, but where can I start to make a difference, and who will believe in me to make a difference,

I was willing to organize or help organize a social meeting for some of our brothers to meet here in u.s., that way we can exchange ideas on, business, ect. and network. But I seen close to none or very few response.  I believe we can make a differece. Also do you think there should be a better connection between the Fula-Hausa in Niger-Republic and Chad, because it was all connected at once?  

salam  
oney is not everything and life is not promised, therefore praise Allah with consistancy. masalam

Anonymous

Samba
I will not rudely reply to your intemperate remarks. Africa and
Nigeria may have enemies. I am not one of them. The enemies within are Nigeria's biggest problem - those who steal Nigeria's wealth and Nigeria's future.
I am encouraged always by the sensible voices that I read on Kanoonline. They understand that blaming the "colonisers" for Nigeria'a problems is a cop out.
Britain only controlled the North of Nigeria for about sixty years and British control ended nearly forty years ago.
How long do you expect to blame Britain for Arewa problems?
When Britain released power over Nigeria we left on good terms with the North. My greatest memory of Kano and the north of Nigeria is the friendliness of the people, the good manners and the respect they show to everybody.
The past is the past. Nothing can change the mistakes that were made then.
Nigeria's future is in Nigerian hands.

Samba

[quote author=David McEwan Hill

Britain only controlled the North of Nigeria for about sixty years and British control ended nearly forty years ago.   Nothing can change the mistakes that were made then.

I rest my case o
oney is not everything and life is not promised, therefore praise Allah with consistancy. masalam

Waziri

Good greetings all,

You ppl are really great,

I enjoy all the contributions made by Amin, lionger, Ibro2g, Samba, Abut, Guduma n many others. But I am most attracted by the once by Samba, they r not only intelligent in attribute but insightful. But Kash!!!!!! what appears in the following quote does not sound like him:

David hill you trash man, look you people gave africa the problem, just like your comments are always problem, why don't you post ur comment at Denmark.com or wherever you live, it's true you english bastards like to ruin things for people, and then say"it's your' responsiblity to do clean something up",

I suggest that he should rightaway apologise to Mr. Hill. My father used to tell me when I was a kid that in essence, Al Ilmu bil Naqli la Bil Aqli, meaning " knowledge is obtained NOT by making rational observations, NO but by following its methods". My father, add by saying : "Therefore, there is nothing wrong to say, but there maybe everything wrong in how we say it".

This of course is part and parcel of our religion. So Samba could have made his point without calling other's names.

One other thing is the fact that we are commanded in our religion to :Ittaku Shayha wa lau min Kafirin, that is,"Revere or respect old people, even if they are not in the fold of our faith".

This add to the fact that the presence of Mr. hill here adds a very colourful feature to this forum. Not to mention the truth that there are many of our parents that are home or abroad who believe that what we are doing here is nothing more than a trivialty and as such they do not see any reason to be with us here and disscuss issues. Please Samba tender your apology.

Eskimo

QuoteDevelopment is not measured by the number of buildings or institutes built,it is Human development that counts.Education is the key here.

That is a piece of friend buster..you are right. IBB may have brought some development to the North, but what is his contribution to human development?

To me I think our leaders not Europe as Samba wants us to believe are responsible for our backwardness. Let me give you an example..take Kano State now is the second (or was) industrialized state in the whole contry. Recently some people said to be representing manufacturers in Kano paid acourtesy visit to the Emir and among the problems facing industries in Kano there is power shortage. What on earth is Kano State government or Kano Richmen doing they will not set up an independant power supply, if states like bayelsa can do it. It is a shame. The next time we wake up and see no industries in Kano we will assume europeans connive with  ??? to get them closed I supposed.

Kano WAS once the highest producer of Tomato in Nigeria (can I assume in West Africa). No single Kano man has a farm dedicated to vegetable farming..or just any farming...I mean large scale commercial farming. When they now invite white farmers to come and set up farms here, you will the on the frontline of criticism...blah blah our farmers (still using hoes and matchets like the old babylonians) will be wiped out by the white farmers..as if we have farmers :-[. No single government in the North has a modern farm. Even Bauchi that the governor claimed his state can feed West Africa four years ago.

I commend Shekarau (Governor of Kano State) for his effort in providing fertilizer in time last season. He could have done more by getting an investment in Fertilizer and chemical industry (foreing or anyone or even govemental) than spend money in importing fertilizer making some productive people richer while here at home subsidizing the fertilizer to our local farmers who will waste it and cause harmful effect to our soil.

Capitalist like Dangote are boasting to be highest IMPORTERS of sugar. Bacita, Savannah and other two sugar Industries all in the North are rotting due to lack of attention. All these sugarcane that we move around chewing ( as if we dont have anything better to do with our teeth ;D) cannot supply us with our daily sugar need. we prefer to make Brazil richer. I dont blame dangote he looks for money...but please put some patriotism for God sake!!!

Kai malam matsalr arewa fa yawa gareta...see what myadudu was just saying

QuoteFor me a Kataf (Kaduna)  is no better than an Urhobo (Rivers)

I wish he means they are all Nigerians so in his sight equal.
color=blue]NOBODY is PERFECT and I am NOBODY.[/color]

Eskimo

uchh!!!! ina ta surutu i forgot to remind Samba to tender his apology to Dave please.
color=blue]NOBODY is PERFECT and I am NOBODY.[/color]

Anonymous

I don't take offence easily so it's okay.
But to think I am "English"!
Now that really does offend me.

Samba

Waziri, your suggestion belongs to yourself. This is K-online forum not K-online village, haka, I may speak my opinion, and you may speak your own, ko?

Eskimo, :), believe what you want but the truth remains... :o, ka gani?

Abut

QuoteI don't take offence easily so it's okay.
But to think I am "English"!
Now that really does offend me.
R u Scottish Dave?

Yadudu,i dont really grab what you meant by your reference to the katafs so i wont go into that,however i agree with you that my primary constituency in Islam and as a muslim i hope to 1 day live in a society that is just and fair under the Shari'a where true social justice rules.It is however not 4 me alone to start a revolution(it will come in due course),no 1 can do that alone.Every1(the youth especially)will have to join forces under 1 umbrella and take our destiny in our hands.

We all agree that things are bad and we need change,but change dosent come about by itself.Its high time we(arewa youth) got together under 1 umbrella,united by 1 goal,how to bring about the much needed changes in our society through a complete social re-engineering.To but our region of the country on a strong footing vis-a-vis the other regions in the country.Youths in Ijaw land are fighting for change.The OPC is made up of youths,we are only used 4 electoral violence.

Nigeria also needs re-structuring,as the only basis for any real chance for peace in the future.The current state of affairs where some areas of the country are marginalised is no longer tenable.We have to all come around and sit down and fashion out a way we can live in peace with 1 another.

This 1 goes out to every1,i know some of my ideas sound utopian,but these are open to discourse and modification,that is why we have this forum.We need ideas people,not just critics.When you criticise,you should also offer alternatives.

Allah ya taimake mu.

Anonymous

Yes, I am Scottish.
I made no reference to katafs. Perhaps somebody else did.

Nigeria from North to South, East to West has every raw material and potential it needs to be a prosperous and progressive society. But what it needs above all now is honest leadership at every level so that the wealth of the nation can be put to work for everybody not just the few that can get their hands on it.
All societies have gone through similar difficult stages before democracy, good order and probity on the part of the leaders becomes the way things are done.
It means that the whole of the society has to want to change to doing things honestly and properly. You need a national crusade led by respected and honest leaders drawn from all across the federation and you need laws enforced strongly against those who steal the nations revenues.
Can this happen?

David McEwan Hill (Maigemu)

PS KanoOnline is a credit to those who made it happen and I much enjoy contributing to it. My thanks for the kind words in my defence. As an "outsider looking in" perhaps I can sometimes present a different view that stimulates debate. I feel very strongly there will be constitutional upheaval in Nigeria soon unless things improve.

Samba

Mcwean, your news is old.

Quotesalam

Lets move on!

fastboi

QuoteSamba
I will not rudely reply to your intemperate remarks. Africa and
Nigeria may have enemies. I am not one of them. The enemies within are Nigeria's biggest problem - those who steal Nigeria's wealth and Nigeria's future.
I am encouraged always by the sensible voices that I read on Kanoonline. They understand that blaming the "colonisers" for Nigeria'a problems is a cop out.
Britain only controlled the North of Nigeria for about sixty years and British control ended nearly forty years ago.
How long do you expect to blame Britain for Arewa problems?
When Britain released power over Nigeria we left on good terms with the North. My greatest memory of Kano and the north of Nigeria is the friendliness of the people, the good manners and the respect they show to everybody.
The past is the past. Nothing can change the mistakes that were made then.
Nigeria's future is in Nigerian hands.

Yes, the above is the right thing we should be thinking about if we want to move forward. But I just wanted to point out to Mr Hill a few places he didn't quite get right. I don't agree that Britain "ONLY" controlled the north for about sixty years and has left for forty more. Is it just sixty years my good man? I'd like to know what and what they did within those sixty years then Mr Hill? Because according to history books and reality too, our colonial masters spent those sixty years exploiting our resources, taking away all that they could that they needed for their industries, therefore development. They only created infrastructure where it was necessary for the efficient transfer of our wealth back to their home of Great Britain ( God save the Queen!). Railroads, roads, even modern buildings and homes were all created where "needed" for the people responsible for this silent "rape" and exploitation of our God-given wealth. So also, this "transfer" did not even start in the 20th century, it goes way back a few hundred years earlier, during the early days of colonialism. I am aware that I do not need to re-educate the forum on what I have just stated above, I only intend to remind it. Colonialism and it's proponents, the players, the British came here and took. They took and took and took. And in the process they made sure that they did not allow us to be able to emulate them and develop our country( which they created and even named). They did not educate us enough, they did not develop our infrastructure adequately and the saddest part is that we cannot sit down and continue to solely blame them for all our problems. What we should do is blame them and work at solving our problems. Industrialise, just like they did. Simply copy the smart s.o.b's, our former colonial masters and do what they didn't. Europe underdeveloped Africa, this we all know is true, and she's not ready to "un-underdevelop" Africa now or ever. WE have that tedious task before us. I just think that they are a bunch of smart-cowards, just like some one who would steal from a blind beggar, instead of helping that beggar use his money to get treated in the hospital and be rid of his blindness!  8)
 heard that you r addressed as you r dressed!

Anonymous

Indeed Britain did grab colonies to exploit them. I've never said otherwise and those who have read my posts on this forum from when I started contributing will know that I strongly disapprove of all colonialism. They will also know that I believe that the states that the colonialists drew up in Africa were nonsense with no attention paid to the natural divisions which already existed in Africa before they invaded.I live in Scotland which I believe was also colonised by England (by bribing our leaders) so my sympathies are with all countries that have been taken by other nations.
HOWEVER NIGERIA'S PROBLEMS TODAY ARE ENTIRELY OF ITS OWN MAKING AND HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH BRITISH RULE.
TO GO ON SHOUTING ABOUT THE DAMAGE OF THE COLONIAL RULERS WHO LEFT FORTY YEARS AGO AND BLAMING THEM FOR TODAY'S PROBLEMS IS A CONVENIENT WAY OF AVOIDING DOING ANYTHING TO SOLVE PRESENT PROBLEMS. NIGERIA IS MUCH BIGGER THAN BRITAIN WITH TWICE THE POPULATION AND SHOULD BE WEALTHY. WHERE HAS ALL ITS MONEY GONE? THE BRITISH DONT HAVE IT.

fastboi

Hi David, it's good that we share some opinions in common, and I must admit that I was not fully aware that was your position on colonialism, everywhere. Now I know. I would like to say that I am not shouting and blaming the British for all our problems. Like I stated in my previous post, I am simply highlighting one of the major contributing factors to my country's horrible condition. I did say that we should realise that the task of "fixing" Nigeria rests on the shoulders of nigerians. That point was made very clear, I ensure this in all of my posts regarding this issue. Also you finished by saying that the British don't have all the millions of stolen wealth, wealth stolen by nigerians. Are you sure Mr. Hill? If the money is not in Europe or America, then can you help me by suggesting a possible location. It is common knowledge that African leaders who loot their countries funds stash them in their favourite and most secure hiding place, the Swiss Bank. So also are millions upon millions stashed away in other great banks across Europe, including I'm afraid Britain. We hear about this everyday in newspapers and the news on t.v.
But to further illustrate my belief in nigerians being responsible for handling our current problems, I'll drop this Brit issue for now. It's not what we should focus our attention on if we really want progress. We need to know the roots of our problems though, this no one can deny. One needs to know where one is coming from in order to know where one is going to, right? No beef Mr. Hill. 8)
 P.S. Mr Hill if you are free to I would really appreciate it if you read my most recent post on the topic: "Does it really matter who becomes president?" here in General Discussion. I just want to clearify to you that I am not expecting anybody to come and make my country better, I just like to simply address facts so as to see everything clearly.
 heard that you r addressed as you r dressed!