News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Please K-Onliners let's support Salisu Danyaro and Prof Uba

Started by Nuruddeen, September 25, 2006, 09:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuruddeen

Its high time we engaged our selves in something more practical. Lets project to another level.   I c no reason why we shud be writing things without putting it into action/practice. To me, writing things on kanoonline or gisting with one another in the forum is nothing but entertainment . For over 3 years we have been here yet we are not able to come up with something pragmatic. The annual gathering that we used to do has been left since... In fact, those  in Diaspora find kanoonline like a playing ground. They just visit the site for play play. (With due apology). Prof Abdallah and Mallam salisu Danyaro( The Webmaster) have tried for at least giving us space to bare our minds. But We should reciprocate this gesture by at least reviving the protracted gathering, which has hitherto remain but a mirage! Please lets meet quarterly, or every 4  months. By now we shud be doing/organising confab, symposium, seminars etc.
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

Muhsin

:D That is a very nice and thoutful idea. Wallahi sometimes I used to felt as I was just intracting with non-livinghting(computer) in this board only, because I had never seen or met any of our invaluable Forum's members. But atleast if something like this is organise, we'll come to knowing each other.

Moreover, as to the point you mentioned about Diaspora(s). Sincerely not all are just doing what you pontified-play and play. Some do take it with serious attitude rather than bula-bula. Though I'm not one but atleast I gathered so from what its depicted from their post. Like......I don't have to mention names right?
Lastly, how this is gonna be organise? I need more information for proper comprension.

NB:  :idea: I'm afraid or my miserable standing in English has led me misunderstand some of your stated points. Please bear with me.......student just is me.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Nuruddeen

o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

Nuruddeen

Quote from: "Muhsin" :D That is a very nice and thoutful idea. Wallahi sometimes I used to felt as I was just intracting with non-livinghting(computer) in this board only, because I had never seen or met any of our invaluable Forum's members. But atleast if something like this is organise, we'll come to knowing each other.

Moreover, as to the point you mentioned about Diaspora(s). Sincerely not all are just doing what you pontified-play and play. Some do take it with serious attitude rather than bula-bula. Though I'm not one but atleast I gathered so from what its depicted from their post. Like......I don't have to mention names right?
Lastly, how this is gonna be organise? I need more information for proper comprension.

NB:  :idea: I'm afraid or my miserable standing in English has led me misunderstand some of your stated points. Please bear with me.......student just is me.

Mallam Muhsin, Thanks so much for your comments and observations. The idea is: we are supposed to be looking at ourselves as a family. In fact, my prayer is for us one day to change the name Kanoonline. COM to .ORG. For instance, if Muhsin is getting married, let everybody in the forum be a part -taker to Muhsin's wedding not  an on-looker. If Ummita, Amira, Hafsy Lady, Fateez, Ihsan or our lost Danbanza reloaded is not in the forum, lets trace and see whether all is well... Indeed, we are supposed to go beyond the superficials!!!You know things like that. Before, we used to meet but now everybody is shying away from it.  

dan kauye

Most of the elite intellects on this board  do not even live in Nigeria.Applaud the notion though..
Dan-Kauye's Artist Of The Week;Robin Thicke

Muhsin

Quote from: "dan kauye"Most of the elite intellects on this board  do not even live in Nigeria.Applaud the notion though..

That is true but atleast we have to try and see how this way can be passed. We definetely must meet uncalculable curves and ditchs in this jorney but.....think dan kauye you too how you use to feel always discussing with bodies which if even a gun is put before your forhead non you can trace. Is it not so? Please don't discourage Nuradden's effort.[/size][/color]
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Nuruddeen

Quote from: "Muhsin"
Quote from: "dan kauye"Most of the elite intellects on this board  do not even live in Nigeria.Applaud the notion though..

That is true but atleast we have to try and see how this way can be passed. We definetely must meet uncalculable curves and ditchs in this jorney but.....think dan kauye you too how you use to feel always discussing with bodies which if even a gun is put before your forhead non you can trace. Is it not so? Please don't discourage Nuradden's effort.[/size][/color]

Not at all Muhsin! There is nothing like discouragement. Perhaps, Dankauye has missed my points. But, I quite agree with ur assertion. How can one just be interacting with things that are unknown? Of course, we have had enough fun in the past but now we have to stop building castle on the air. I am just envisaging a way forward though.

neozizo

Quote from: "Nurudeen"Its high time we engaged our selves in something more practical. Lets project to another level. I c no reason why we shud be writing things without putting it into action/practice. To me, writing things on kanoonline or gisting with one another in the forum is nothing but entertainment . For over 3 years we have been here yet we are not able to come up with something pragmatic. The annual gathering that we used to do has been left since... In fact, those in Diaspora find kanoonline like a playing ground. They just visit the site for play play. (With due apology). Prof Abdallah and Mallam salisu Danyaro( The Webmaster) have tried for at least giving us space to bare our minds. But We should reciprocate this gesture by at least reviving the protracted gathering, which has hitherto remain but a mirage! Please lets meet quarterly, or every 4 months. By now we shud be doing/organizing confab, symposium, seminars etc.
I wholeheartedly agree with d bit about taking action instead of only just talkling. I also think there is nothing wrong with havn fun in this forum. Also for me,one of the things i appreciate most about online forums is the anonymity they offer members,but ill glady participate in any venture/gathering that will be of benefit to greater society.
Iv always wanted to inquire about KO gatherings held @ AF,kano,in fact that is how i got 2 find out about the website 3 years ago i hink it was.

Muhsin

Quote from: "zizo"
Quote from: "Nurudeen"Its high time we engaged our selves in something more practical. Lets project to another level. I c no reason why we shud be writing things without putting it into action/practice. To me, writing things on kanoonline or gisting with one another in the forum is nothing but entertainment . For over 3 years we have been here yet we are not able to come up with something pragmatic. The annual gathering that we used to do has been left since... In fact, those in Diaspora find kanoonline like a playing ground. They just visit the site for play play. (With due apology). Prof Abdallah and Mallam salisu Danyaro( The Webmaster) have tried for at least giving us space to bare our minds. But We should reciprocate this gesture by at least reviving the protracted gathering, which has hitherto remain but a mirage! Please lets meet quarterly, or every 4 months. By now we shud be doing/organizing confab, symposium, seminars etc.
I wholeheartedly agree with d bit about taking action instead of only just talkling. I also think there is nothing wrong with havn fun in this forum. Also for me,one of the things i appreciate most about online forums is the anonymity they offer members,but ill glady participate in any venture/gathering that will be of benefit to greater society.
Iv always wanted to inquire about KO gatherings held @ AF,kano,in fact that is how i got 2 find out about the website 3 years ago i hink it was.
Different people different opinion. As for me, what I use to despise most concerning Discussion Forums is the anonymous membership identity they offer. What one is afraid of; abduction, blackmailing, or what that can forbade him to clearly state his identity online? But I don't know or there is some points behind my knowledge because I'm sincerely very young (perhaps the youngest in this forum). Any elaboration, zizo? [/size]

neozizo

Well,Mushin,for one people tend to have preconceptions about your personality or mentality just cos hey have some basic information bout u like sex, age,place of origin/etniticity,level of education or faith. It might also be simply for privacy.
But for me,i have complexity/insecurity  issues....and its more fun and intriguing
But then u always have the option of selective disclosure of identity to certain ppl.

gogannaka

This is a great idea by Nuruddeen.The forum should come to life in reality rather than virtual reality. The members that attended the last get together where Pof.Kumo delivered a lecture on the soveriegn national conference saw how contributive the konliners can become to the society.During the lecture many onliners aired their views about the conference and i must say some of the views really manifested during the actual conference.
Let us not just make the contributions 'on paper'(or rather on the board) let us make the contributions worthwhile by putting them into action as nura suggested.

P.S zizo the get together's were held at the british council not Alliance Francais.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

mlbash

a very thoughful idea jibo, in this regard we've already started discussing with gogannaka on how to organise another get together in order to make plans towards uplifting the forum and practicalising the foresightful ideas we always discuss.
t is my intention to make the neglected aspect of our societies viable

Nuruddeen

Quote from: "mlbash"
a very thoughful idea jibo, in this regard we've already started discussing with gogannaka on how to organise another get together in order to make plans towards uplifting the forum and practicalising the foresightful ideas we always discuss.

Thank u very much Mr. Mlbash. What I was trying to pinpoint is that we shud try as much as possible to be realistic and practical. But some want to remain anonymous and hidden. However, I wud suggest a way forward eventually In sha Allah.

Abdalla

Jama'a, Sallama

This is Abdalla Uba Adamu responding on behalf of myself and Salisu Danyaro (who is swamped at the moment!) I will like to express our sincerely gratitude and appreciation to the concern shown by the members about the fate of this Board, and most importantly, its membership. When we started out this project over six or so years ago, we had no idea it would become the organic community it has metamorphosed into. Imbued with patriotic Hausanci, we felt we needed to give the Hausa diaspora some space "out there" where they can let their hair down. We had anticipated one or two people getting on the wagon -- to our delight, we had a whole train-load. Alhamdulillah! Our feeling was that even if we closed down the board, we had achieved a major objective of bringing together hundreds of people from different walks of life.

However, as we got going, things started getting pear-shaped. For one thing, it was easy to maintain the Board while Salisu was still in New Jersey. He relocated to Kano about two or three years ago and since then, it has been difficult to maintain the site. But we struggled on. We did receive some grant to pay for maintenance, but that rapidly finished.  Seeing things about to slip away, we came up with the idea of "downloading Kano-Onliners" to a specific location on the terra firma where we can revive the spirit of togetherness. The British Council Kano graciously provided us with free space and we had two annual conventions which were well-attended. Unfortunately a combination of pressure from work (Salisu was constantly on the move between Kano and Abuja) and research activities (myself; I was writing about three books at the same time: crazy, I know, but sanity has never been the strong point of writers!) made it difficult to sustain the tempo.

Further, I had a nasty exprience from running other groups. For those who don't know (and I don't blame them if they don't give a sod!) I also run Finafinan Hausa (forum on Hausa video films) Marubuta (about Hausa creative fiction writers) and Mawakan-Hausa (on Hausa traditional musicians) Yahoo! groups. And I can tell you it is a nightmare! It was only with the Finafinan Hausa that we succeeded in coming down every year in Kano during the two Sallah festivals to meet each other and say hello. Even in this simple act, we started getting challenges from people who wanted us to shift to other States, etc, etc. So when the Kanonliners Forum did not pick up on the sustainability of our annual meetings, I sort of breathed a sigh of relief, because I know eventully the task of organizing, co-ordinating and conducting the meeting will fall on my tiny shoulders.

NOT that I don't want it to happen, and in retrospect I would be very happy to see it revived. For once thing, this forum is radically different from the Yahoo! groups I have been running. Secondly, I have finished the major book I am working on (PASSAGE FROM INDIA: TRANSGLOBAL MEDIA FLOWS AND AFRICAN CINEMA - THE HAUSA VIDEO FILMS OF NORTHERN NIGERIA). It is now with the editors for a draft reading before being taken to publishers.  I am working on two other books (see, I told you sanity is not a strong point with writers!), one is RACE, CULTURE AND IDENTITY - THE HAUSA ARABS OF NORTHERN NIGERIA; and the other is on Hausa Music (title still undecided) but it will focus attention on the emegent Hausa Rap music (I can send examples if someone wants to hear; my favorite is Billy Tibani by Shaba and Billy-O; hehehe, a Hausa rap song about Tibani. Now anyone who DOES NOT know Tibani, should stand in the back of the class!).

The point is it is very apparent people LIKE this forum, are happy with it, and want it to be sustained. This is fine with us, because it is achieving what we set out to achieve. HOWEVER, we have problems in sustaining it (specifically paying for the subscription etc). Salisu did send out an appeal and if need be, he will do so again with modalities for how members can contribute. We could take the lot to one of those free hosting companies, but then you have to put up with the spam, junk, virus, trojans and all the other weidies of the Internet world.

One strategy we instituted at Finafinan Hausa was the idea of "Zauren XXX" where people in Washington DC, for instance, set up a local chapter of the forum as Zauren Washington. Thus we had Zauren Abuja, Zauren Katsina, etc. This could work out as a short term arrangements through which members keep in touch with each other -- especially those within geograpical spheres of each other. I have noted the call and need for the larger annual convention, and I promise, insha Allahu, we will have it next year. So start thinking of what to say now and where it might be held. For logistic purposes it will be easier for us to organize it in Kano where the British Council (and I did remember there were members of this forum who OBJECTED to the meeting IN British Council; sigh!) might lend us space; or we can hire (expensive) a swanky place at Mambayya House or Murtala Muhammad Library. BUT the problem (which is part of the reasons for cooling off in the first place) was that many live OUTSIDE Kano, and it might be too much burden for them to drive all the way to Kano (especially as we do not have facilities for accomodation and feeding outside the convention).

Like I said, we welcome further debate on this, and are quite willing to flow with the tide.

Wishing all of us a hunky-dory shan ruwa

Abdalla

Abdalla

Jama'a, Sallama

This is Abdalla Uba Adamu responding on behalf of myself and Salisu Danyaro (who is swamped at the moment!) I will like to express our sincerely gratitude and appreciation to the concern shown by the members about the fate of this Board, and most importantly, its membership. When we started out this project over six or so years ago, we had no idea it would become the organic community it has metamorphosed into. Imbued with patriotic Hausanci, we felt we needed to give the Hausa diaspora some space "out there" where they can let their hair down. We had anticipated one or two people getting on the wagon -- to our delight, we had a whole train-load. Alhamdulillah! Our feeling was that even if we closed down the board, we had achieved a major objective of bringing together hundreds of people from different walks of life.

However, as we got going, things started getting pear-shaped. For one thing, it was easy to maintain the Board while Salisu was still in New Jersey. He relocated to Kano about two or three years ago and since then, it has been difficult to maintain the site. But we struggled on. We did receive some grant to pay for maintenance, but that rapidly finished.  Seeing things about to slip away, we came up with the idea of "downloading Kano-Onliners" to a specific location on the terra firma where we can revive the spirit of togetherness. The British Council Kano graciously provided us with free space and we had two annual conventions which were well-attended. Unfortunately a combination of pressure from work (Salisu was constantly on the move between Kano and Abuja) and research activities (myself; I was writing about three books at the same time: crazy, I know, but sanity has never been the strong point of writers!) made it difficult to sustain the tempo.

Further, I had a nasty exprience from running other groups. For those who don't know (and I don't blame them if they don't give a sod!) I also run Finafinan Hausa (forum on Hausa video films) Marubuta (about Hausa creative fiction writers) and Mawakan-Hausa (on Hausa traditional musicians) Yahoo! groups. And I can tell you it is a nightmare! It was only with the Finafinan Hausa that we succeeded in coming down every year in Kano during the two Sallah festivals to meet each other and say hello. Even in this simple act, we started getting challenges from people who wanted us to shift to other States, etc, etc. So when the Kanonliners Forum did not pick up on the sustainability of our annual meetings, I sort of breathed a sigh of relief, because I know eventully the task of organizing, co-ordinating and conducting the meeting will fall on my tiny shoulders.

NOT that I don't want it to happen, and in retrospect I would be very happy to see it revived. For once thing, this forum is radically different from the Yahoo! groups I have been running. Secondly, I have finished the major book I am working on (PASSAGE FROM INDIA: TRANSGLOBAL MEDIA FLOWS AND AFRICAN CINEMA - THE HAUSA VIDEO FILMS OF NORTHERN NIGERIA). It is now with the editors for a draft reading before being taken to publishers.  I am working on two other books (see, I told you sanity is not a strong point with writers!), one is RACE, CULTURE AND IDENTITY - THE HAUSA ARABS OF NORTHERN NIGERIA; and the other is on Hausa Music (title still undecided) but it will focus attention on the emegent Hausa Rap music (I can send examples if someone wants to hear; my favorite is Billy Tibani by Shaba and Billy-O; hehehe, a Hausa rap song about Tibani. Now anyone who DOES NOT know Tibani, should stand in the back of the class!).

The point is it is very apparent people LIKE this forum, are happy with it, and want it to be sustained. This is fine with us, because it is achieving what we set out to achieve. HOWEVER, we have problems in sustaining it (specifically paying for the subscription etc). Salisu did send out an appeal and if need be, he will do so again with modalities for how members can contribute. We could take the lot to one of those free hosting companies, but then you have to put up with the spam, junk, virus, trojans and all the other weidies of the Internet world.

One strategy we instituted at Finafinan Hausa was the idea of "Zauren XXX" where people in Washington DC, for instance, set up a local chapter of the forum as Zauren Washington. Thus we had Zauren Abuja, Zauren Katsina, etc. This could work out as a short term arrangements through which members keep in touch with each other -- especially those within geograpical spheres of each other. I have noted the call and need for the larger annual convention, and I promise, insha Allahu, we will have it next year. So start thinking of what to say now and where it might be held. For logistic purposes it will be easier for us to organize it in Kano where the British Council (and I did remember there were members of this forum who OBJECTED to the meeting IN British Council; sigh!) might lend us space; or we can hire (expensive) a swanky place at Mambayya House or Murtala Muhammad Library. BUT the problem (which is part of the reasons for cooling off in the first place) was that many live OUTSIDE Kano, and it might be too much burden for them to drive all the way to Kano (especially as we do not have facilities for accomodation and feeding outside the convention).

Like I said, we welcome further debate on this, and are quite willing to flow with the tide.

Wishing all of us a hunky-dory shan ruwa

Abdalla