News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Please K-Onliners let's support Salisu Danyaro and Prof Uba

Started by Nuruddeen, September 25, 2006, 09:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUSNAA

Hold meetings in Abuja then. At least its supposed to be the centre of the Nigerian universe. So no one can complain of a spatial skew, in terms of travel time or location (well at least in principle :P !!!).
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Muhsin

Quote from: "HUSNAA"Hold meetings in Abuja then. At least its supposed to be the centre of the Nigerian universe. So no one can complain of a spatial skew, in terms of travel time or location (well at least in principle :P !!!).

Yaya Husnaa.

There is a great problem that can likely arise to some, for instance I myself. This probelem is that of ***money***. You know how life in Abuja means.So, why not Kano as its done before? Re-read Prof's post. Even there he talked of financial lacking of people. We don't know or Husnaa have a spacious accomodation that can fit us all?

Once again. Is the Site tittled Abujaonline.com or Kanoonline.com? The formet or the latter? why not on its mother's soil? i.e Kano.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

HUSNAA

Mallam Muhsin,
In dan ta kudi ne, wannan matsala ce da baza ta taba gushe wa dan Adam ba. Kullum kana cikin bukatar sa, kuma duk yawan sa dake gare ka. Za a iya haduwa a yi shagulgulan forum din a University of Abuja, inda za a iya samun wurin kwanciya a sawwake, muddin 'yan makaranta suna hutu. Ko kuwa ga NYSC camp a Kubwa? Shima ai ba tsada so sai.
Ko da shike in har za a yi taro ba a Kano ba, to ban tsamman zan samu sukunin hallattar taron ba. Saboda haka Muhsin, korafin ka yana da 'yar hujja.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Nuruddeen

Quote from: "HUSNAA"Mallam Muhsin,
In dan ta kudi ne, wannan matsala ce da baza ta taba gushe wa dan Adam ba. Kullum kana cikin bukatar sa, kuma duk yawan sa dake gare ka. Za a iya haduwa a yi shagulgulan forum din a University of Abuja, inda za a iya samun wurin kwanciya a sawwake, muddin 'yan makaranta suna hutu. Ko kuwa ga NYSC camp a Kubwa? Shima ai ba tsada so sai.
Ko da shike in har za a yi taro ba a Kano ba, to ban tsamman zan samu sukunin hallattar taron ba. Saboda haka Muhsin, korafin ka yana da 'yar hujja.

Of course, you are right Husna. Money is always an issue and will continue to be. But another issue is we need to make sacrifices sometimes. I think Muhsin is right for complaining abt d venue. However, I suggest places like Arewa House in Kaduna or our former venue in Kano i.e British Council is also an alternative. What d u think?
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

Nuruddeen

Quote from: "Abdalla"Jama'a, Sallama

This is Abdalla Uba Adamu responding on behalf of myself and Salisu Danyaro (who is swamped at the moment!) I will like to express our sincerely gratitude and appreciation to the concern shown by the members about the fate of this Board, and most importantly, its membership. When we started out this project over six or so years ago, we had no idea it would become the organic community it has metamorphosed into. Imbued with patriotic Hausanci, we felt we needed to give the Hausa diaspora some space "out there" where they can let their hair down. We had anticipated one or two people getting on the wagon -- to our delight, we had a whole train-load. Alhamdulillah! Our feeling was that even if we closed down the board, we had achieved a major objective of bringing together hundreds of people from different walks of life.

However, as we got going, things started getting pear-shaped. For one thing, it was easy to maintain the Board while Salisu was still in New Jersey. He relocated to Kano about two or three years ago and since then, it has been difficult to maintain the site. But we struggled on. We did receive some grant to pay for maintenance, but that rapidly finished.  Seeing things about to slip away, we came up with the idea of "downloading Kano-Onliners" to a specific location on the terra firma where we can revive the spirit of togetherness. The British Council Kano graciously provided us with free space and we had two annual conventions which were well-attended. Unfortunately a combination of pressure from work (Salisu was constantly on the move between Kano and Abuja) and research activities (myself; I was writing about three books at the same time: crazy, I know, but sanity has never been the strong point of writers!) made it difficult to sustain the tempo.

Further, I had a nasty exprience from running other groups. For those who don't know (and I don't blame them if they don't give a sod!) I also run Finafinan Hausa (forum on Hausa video films) Marubuta (about Hausa creative fiction writers) and Mawakan-Hausa (on Hausa traditional musicians) Yahoo! groups. And I can tell you it is a nightmare! It was only with the Finafinan Hausa that we succeeded in coming down every year in Kano during the two Sallah festivals to meet each other and say hello. Even in this simple act, we started getting challenges from people who wanted us to shift to other States, etc, etc. So when the Kanonliners Forum did not pick up on the sustainability of our annual meetings, I sort of breathed a sigh of relief, because I know eventully the task of organizing, co-ordinating and conducting the meeting will fall on my tiny shoulders.

NOT that I don't want it to happen, and in retrospect I would be very happy to see it revived. For once thing, this forum is radically different from the Yahoo! groups I have been running. Secondly, I have finished the major book I am working on (PASSAGE FROM INDIA: TRANSGLOBAL MEDIA FLOWS AND AFRICAN CINEMA - THE HAUSA VIDEO FILMS OF NORTHERN NIGERIA). It is now with the editors for a draft reading before being taken to publishers.  I am working on two other books (see, I told you sanity is not a strong point with writers!), one is RACE, CULTURE AND IDENTITY - THE HAUSA ARABS OF NORTHERN NIGERIA; and the other is on Hausa Music (title still undecided) but it will focus attention on the emegent Hausa Rap music (I can send examples if someone wants to hear; my favorite is Billy Tibani by Shaba and Billy-O; hehehe, a Hausa rap song about Tibani. Now anyone who DOES NOT know Tibani, should stand in the back of the class!).

The point is it is very apparent people LIKE this forum, are happy with it, and want it to be sustained. This is fine with us, because it is achieving what we set out to achieve. HOWEVER, we have problems in sustaining it (specifically paying for the subscription etc). Salisu did send out an appeal and if need be, he will do so again with modalities for how members can contribute. We could take the lot to one of those free hosting companies, but then you have to put up with the spam, junk, virus, trojans and all the other weidies of the Internet world.

One strategy we instituted at Finafinan Hausa was the idea of "Zauren XXX" where people in Washington DC, for instance, set up a local chapter of the forum as Zauren Washington. Thus we had Zauren Abuja, Zauren Katsina, etc. This could work out as a short term arrangements through which members keep in touch with each other -- especially those within geograpical spheres of each other. I have noted the call and need for the larger annual convention, and I promise, insha Allahu, we will have it next year. So start thinking of what to say now and where it might be held. For logistic purposes it will be easier for us to organize it in Kano where the British Council (and I did remember there were members of this forum who OBJECTED to the meeting IN British Council; sigh!) might lend us space; or we can hire (expensive) a swanky place at Mambayya House or Murtala Muhammad Library. BUT the problem (which is part of the reasons for cooling off in the first place) was that many live OUTSIDE Kano, and it might be too much burden for them to drive all the way to Kano (especially as we do not have facilities for accomodation and feeding outside the convention).

Like I said, we welcome further debate on this, and are quite willing to flow with the tide.

Wishing all of us a hunky-dory shan ruwa

Abdalla

Good day Sir. I really appreciate all your comments and suggestions. In fact, these days one needs to close eye and pursue some of the exigencies in life. We shall In sha Allah overcome all the huddles that previously hamper our meetings and  gatherings. As one can see from not a very far distance, people are generously making very good observations. I shall In sha Allah come up with some ideas that I need all member to critically observe.
Let us revive the spirit of togetherness!!!
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

Muhsin

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Nuruddeen

Quote from: Muhsin on October 23, 2007, 11:08:05 AM
Salamu alaikum,
I only wanna ask a simple question; Ina aka kwana?

We had a meeting with Prof Abdallah and Webmaster at Kano. I wrote a proposal and gave it to Waziri to edit. Nan ne aka kwana.

Muhsin

Quote from: Nuruddeen on October 25, 2007, 05:43:47 PM
We had a meting with Prof Abdallah and Webmaster. I gave a proposal to Waziri to edit since. Nan ne aka kwana.

Oh nice effort Malam Nuruddeen. But we weren't told of that before so how could we know? Can you tell a bit more about the arrangements?
Thanks

Muhsin

Salam,

I met-up with MudaCris some times ago and when we were discusing about Kanoonline, he asked me of that meeting. I don't know anything apart from what's posted by Nuraddeen, I told him. He urged me to pls when I remember it, like this time, to ask you ppl again of the arrangement you have been doing for the meeting. But eventually, even Nurudden himself hasn't, for a consider -able time, log-in. Wish everything is fine with you brother. Admin, can't you say something?

Nuruddeen

Quote from: Muhsin on December 05, 2007, 11:52:18 AM
Salam,

I met-up with MudaCris some times ago and when we were discusing about Kanoonline, he asked me of that meeting. I don't know anything apart from what's posted by Nuraddeen, I told him. He urged me to pls when I remember it, like this time, to ask you ppl again of the arrangement you have been doing for the meeting. But eventually, even Nurudden himself hasn't, for a consider -able time, log-in. Wish everything is fine with you brother. Admin, can't you say something?

Yeah Muhsin I am doing well by Allah's permission. It's just that  sometimes I get ma self engrossed in lots of activities. I think whats gonna happen is 4 us to, may be start from the scratch. Because I doubt very much if Waziri can trace the proposal I gave to him after our meeting. Actually, I gave him to edit and make some additions and/or ommissions. However, what will happen is 4 u ppl to give me time to find out from the legendary Waziri and we will get back in due course. Many thanks Muhsin.

waduz

This is a very viable and interesting proposal. I will personally attend a get together to be organized by the great kanoonline any where, day or time, In Sha Allahu RABBI. It is really time for a gathering so as to make forumites know and cherish one another better. I believe the issue of a venue will be resolved and made acceptable to all. Since we are in a democracy, playing a little rule of the game to achieve results will not be off the line. Why don't we pput the issue of chosing a venue to vote? Kano-Abuja-Kaduna, seems to be in the same bracket and if the majority of forumites chose either, the minority must accpet the decision.
I wish all forumites Allah's mercies an bounties.

Dan-Borno

Malam Waduz, that issue of voting will not reflect the
true position of things, we are supposed to be Islamic
oriented society, and in Islam we have leaders who were
vested in taking decisions, so    long as it doesnt go
contrary to the tenets of Islam.

I will advice if these Kline leaders (founding members) can
take a single decision as of venue, then they could have
save some kace nace, while we will insha Allah honour
the invitation.

But if voting is accepted as means of getting our venue
let me start voting right now:

KANO!
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Muhsin

Salam,
Nuraddeen, you are welcome back. And I really recomend your effort. Do you know what? I never know that you've been doing it together with Waziri, though he too barely come to forum as before. Wish he's doing fine just like you, amin.

Am fiendishly glad that our elders of the forum like Dan-Barno, Waduz, etc sun saka baki in the matter. By Allah's grace this meeting would come to being very soon.

And concerning the issue of the venue, remember that a meeting like this one had had been held before. Where was it held? Kano...then lets gather some data; had they faced any problems during that time? If yes, then there is need of changing the venue for a better one and if no then no need. Moreover, DB has really talked by saying the founders should decide it and if it's by voting as suggested Waduz then I too choose KANO!

Thanks

waduz

So DBN and Muhsin have started to vote allready. So all others should follow suit. I will also go with them, Kano! ;D

Muhsin

Quote from: waduz on December 10, 2007, 11:21:20 AM
So DBN and Muhsin have started to vote allready. So all others should follow suit. I will also go with them, Kano! ;D
But, I think, the process of voting is not yet decided. We or I said if its the one other members including the 'bigs' of the forum say then I choose Kano. Any way, we are together.