News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

KATSINA STATE UNDER GOVERNOR UMARU YAR'ADUA: What lies under

Started by Nuruddeen, November 07, 2006, 01:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuruddeen

KATSINA STATE UNDER GOVERNOR UMARU YAR'ADUA: WHAT LIES BENEATH

By

Jibo Nura
E-mail: jibonura@yahoo.com

Katsina as the name suggests, is popularly known as "The Home of Hospitality". This name tag is probably given to the state because of the kind humour and warmth reception that are offered to visitors. But certainly, the state is not unconnected with the unwavering support and generosity that its people are ever-willing to provide for those living within and outside the state. Indeed, it is due to one of those supports and generosities that in 1999, majority of Katsina Indigenes overwhelmingly supported His Excellency, Alhaji Umar Musa Yar'adua as the only suitable candidate to lead and place the state at the loftiest heights.

In view of this therefore, the governor had no choice than to fulfil his people's wishes, hopes and expectations by embarking on infrastructural developments, especially in areas of road construction, rural electrification and physical projects. In fact, the man (Alhaji Yar'adua) is one of the few P.D.P governors that deserve some respect, because he has no doubt executed projects in the state. Typical of such projects are: rehabilitation of existing roundabouts, development of Katsina towns master Plan, the on-going construction of secondary school in Bakori Local government area, and the government's intention to build a state university.

However, one thing has to be clear and fundamental, because it is alleged that almost all the capital intensive projects executed by the Katsina state government since 1999 are costly and extraordinary exorbitant. For example, it's said that every one kilometre constructed by the government, an approximate cost of N90 million is paid to the contractors. And the bulk of these contracts as alleged, are executed by the governor's close associates, notably among which are one Dahiru Mangal and Abdulaziz Maigoro. Instead of the government to utilise the state coffers on real development projects, it is busy expending ample resources on frivolous and unnecessary contracts. Many people are saying that the government's intention is to spend all the resources at its disposal before the expiration of its tenure.

It is sad to note that today; Katsina is one of the states in the federation with highest number of unemployed youth. Instead of the government to engage these teaming unemployed youth by creating more jobs, through state and local government directorates; Instead of the government to empower the powerless through genuine poverty alleviation programmes such as peoples well-being improvement programmes; Instead of the government to revamp the educational sector by subsidising it to the hapless and the downtrodden so that education will be for all and sundry, it is busy encouraging social irresponsibility by doling out the sum of N5000 monthly to irate youth, popularly known as kudin yan'iska i.e area boys money. This has contributed in no small way towards breeding immorality, drug addiction, banditry and social malaise as the recipients of this money are so heroically elevated. Indeed, this kind of affair has made the state much more vulnerable to attack by these irate youth. Some of them officially drop out of school to join their colleagues on the pay role. And the issue is: once there is high rate of jobless people in a society, the end results are injustice, perfidy and chaos. Therefore, there is need for Katsina state government to empower the youth. They should be duly involved in policy decision making and implementation strategies that has to do with their life style.

On the issue of establishing a new state university, however, there is a need for the government to engage in concrete plan and dialogue with the management of the existing Islamic State University so as to reach a common standpoint that will see to the fusion of two universities in one place. Though there is nothing wrong in having another University, but the fact that there is already an existing one in the state, constructing another one is nothing but a wasteful venture.

Regrettably, very few people can challenge the dictatorial tendencies and misplacement of priorities of the government of Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar'adua, because he has subdued all voices of opposition in the state. He is not only determined to frustrate the ambition of many gubernatorial aspirants such as Murtala Safana, Aminu Bello Masari and Nura Khalil, but also took it upon himself an ample responsibility to impose his deputy i.e. Abdu Aminchi ? a man who lacks political dexterity to turn  around Katsina state people.

Nonetheless, it is out of one of the dictatorial and discriminatory roles of Yar'adua that the people of Karaduwa zone feel completely sidelined from Katsina state scheme of things. For instance, there are bundles of complaints that the post of the SSG, which was supposed to be zoned to Karaduwa, was controversially given to one of the governor's cronies.

Finally therefore, the government of Katsina state should know that democracy and governance means carrying people along through dialogue, consensus and fair play. It means listening to their wishes, aspirations, hopes, dreams and wants, which is far from monopolistic predisposition by the powerful vocal few.
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

Muhsin

When I first heard it happening on BBC some days ago, it had me wondering; what exactly our politicians want to turn Nigerian politics into?
It had me astonishing again; how, as I know Katsina's polical style things turned almost hotter than Kano's....Allah ya tsare-Ameen :!:
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Nuruddeen

Quote from: "Muhsin"When I first heard it happening on BBC some days ago, it had me wondering; what exactly our politicians want to turn Nigerian politics into?
It had me astonishing again; how, as I know Katsina's polical style things turned almost hotter than Kano's....Allah ya tsare-Ameen :!:

The man has seroiusly disappointed his people. The worst was when he hired thugs to shout and stone Buhari of all pple. God forbid!
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

alhaji_aminu

Great observation Oga Nura.

I was in KT not too long back I am must concede that there are few things that Umaru Musa has done right. The ultra modern secretariat, the neem processing plant, the establishment of school of admin in Funtua, and the general overhaul of the streets in the metropolis are all things we should commend him for.

We must not, however, be blindsighted by this to the extreme prefence he gives to his close friends (and familiy) in executing contacts. I particularly think the oil smuggler, Dahiru Mangal, has been given so much contracts ( and thus made so much money) that he is becoming a nuisance to all. Sure he built a mosque right before the round about around K Sauri, but where on earth did he get the money to build the massive textile plant on the opposite side of the steel rolling mills? Why is some Magal Airlines given the contact to lift Hajj pilgrims from KT?
We must not forget that the company executing many contacts in KT- Lodigiani- has an Yar'adua on its board of directors.

I cannot speak much to the politics of Karadua and Katsina proper but I personally think it is about time someone from the south gets a chance this time around. Nura Khalil, or even our beloved pia pia- Alhaji Bashir Nadabo Funtua- could adequately rule the state. The Funtua-Malumfashi-Dutsin-ma axis of the state has so many capable hands that denying them an opportunity now will be discrimination.

Nuruddeen

Quote from: "alhaji_aminu"Great observation Oga Nura.

I was in KT not too long back I am must concede that there are few things that Umaru Musa has done right. The ultra modern secretariat, the neem processing plant, the establishment of school of admin in Funtua, and the general overhaul of the streets in the metropolis are all things we should commend him for.

We must not, however, be blindsighted by this to the extreme prefence he gives to his close friends (and familiy) in executing contacts. I particularly think the oil smuggler, Dahiru Mangal, has been given so much contracts ( and thus made so much money) that he is becoming a nuisance to all. Sure he built a mosque right before the round about around K Sauri, but where on earth did he get the money to build the massive textile plant on the opposite side of the steel rolling mills? Why is some Magal Airlines given the contact to lift Hajj pilgrims from KT?
We must not forget that the company executing many contacts in KT- Lodigiani- has an Yar'adua on its board of directors.

I cannot speak much to the politics of Karadua and Katsina proper but I personally think it is about time someone from the south gets a chance this time around. Nura Khalil, or even our beloved pia pia- Alhaji Bashir Nadabo Funtua- could adequately rule the state. The Funtua-Malumfashi-Dutsin-ma axis of the state has so many capable hands that denying them an opportunity now will be discrimination.

The major problem with the man is personalisation of affairs to his close associates. He also don't want anybody to prove his mettle. This to me, counteracts the basic principle of democracy and governance, which allow  fairness, equity and justice.

Muhsin

Quote from: "Nuruddeen"
Quote from: "Muhsin"When I first heard it happening on BBC some days ago, it had me wondering; what exactly our politicians want to turn Nigerian politics into?

The man has seroiusly disappointed his people. The worst was when he hired thugs to shout and stone Buhari of all pple. God forbid!

Its absolutely a disappointement if that really had happened. By the way, I heard that its almost only in Kano where Buhari has massive supporters, isn't that true? Do you think something like this can be done to him here in Kano?
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Nuruddeen

Quote from: "Muhsin"

Its absolutely a disappointement if that really had happened. By the way, I heard that its almost only in Kano where Buhari has massive supporters, isn't that true? Do you think something like this can be done to him here in Kano?

Not really Muhsin. Kano pple cannot do such a mess to Buhari. The saddest part of it is : Both Yar 'Adua and Buhari are from the same home. They are one and the same but look at how it happened.

Muhsin

Nuradden, have you heard again that OBJ wants to support him(Musa Y'ar Aduwa) in the next coming presidential election? He wants him to succed him...what a mess?

What do you think makes OBJ start thinking of that? I think its 'cuz he tested his capability of disrespecting even the elites (eg Buhari) of Arewa that's why. Don't you think that?

amira

Muhsin, i must say that theses people have issues, and theses issues need sorting, what the hell is wrong with theses people man!!!!! nakasa gane wane irirn mutane ne su!!!!!!
*Each day is definately defining me and finding me*

Nuruddeen

Quote from: "amira"Muhsin, i must say that theses people have issues, and theses issues need sorting, what the hell is wrong with theses people man!!!!! nakasa gane wane irirn mutane ne su!!!!!!

Amira, these pple of course hav an agenda. But whatever happens, we are here watching and the future will take care of itself.

Muhsin

Quote from: "amira"Muhsin, i must say that theses people have issues, and theses issues need sorting, what the hell is wrong with theses people man!!!!! nakasa gane wane irirn mutane ne su!!!!!!

Amira, these pple of course hav an agenda. But whatever happens, we are here watching and the future will take care of itself.

Wallahi what you both said is nothing but a fact.

My friend's mother once told me, when my friend was comfronting me over.....she said 'Muhsin don't ever bother yourself but do your best 'cuz Allah has plan for everybody, everything etc.'

Thus, form that aforesaid thought, I think Allah's rescue will sooner or later come upon us(Nigerian) and the nation itself-Ameen.

Keep on ladies and gents. Don't give up. Think of how Taliban got freedom from bondage of Russia.How South Africa freed from raicist leaders. How Kanya (including other African countries) exricate their land from imperialist leaders....and so many incalculable examples. Haba?????????? [/size]

gogannaka

It is sad to note that today; Katsina is one of the states in the federation with highest number of unemployed youth. Instead of the government to engage these teaming unemployed youth by creating more jobs, through state and local government directorates; Instead of the government to empower the powerless through genuine poverty alleviation programmes such as peoples well-being improvement programmes; Instead of the government to revamp the educational sector by subsidising it to the hapless and the downtrodden so that education will be for all and sundry, it is busy encouraging social irresponsibility by doling out the sum of N5000 monthly to irate youth, popularly known as kudin yan'iska i.e area boys money. This has contributed in no small way towards breeding immorality, drug addiction, banditry and social malaise as the recipients of this money are so heroically elevated. Indeed, this kind of affair has made the state much more vulnerable to attack by these irate youth. Some of them officially drop out of school to join their colleagues on the pay role. And the issue is: once there is high rate of jobless people in a society, the end results are injustice, perfidy and chaos. Therefore, there is need for Katsina state government to empower the youth. They should be duly involved in policy decision making and implementation strategies that has to do with their life style.

This issue of Human development is very confusing to me.I believe it has become a way of decieving the helpless individuals.How can you implement this Human development?Logically the disbursement of 5000 can be seen also as human development. The construction of roads,schools etc is certainly human development too.
Also note that government is not supposed to be the main(direct) source of employment. As you said that the govt. should provide jobs through its local or state directorates,this is not a way forward as it would be no different from doling out that 5000.What is the essence of giving a person a job where he doesen't do anything than to come at the end of the month and collect his salary.The private sector should be the main source of employment and i believe people like Dahiru Mangal contribute towards this.
Likewise the allegation that Yar'adua gives out contracts to his cronies can also be seen as 'human development'. At least the contractors hail from Katsina and most of their employees are from katsina too.I believe we ought to look at things from a positive point of view.In a political setting wherever in the world, compensations are made to individuals that helped in one way or the other to the establishment of the government with political posts/appointments or contracts.
Government as we all know is not easy to run.Every individual has his own perception of how the government should be run and how development will take effect.

Quote from: "Alhaji_Aminu"
I particularly think the oil smuggler, Dahiru Mangal, has been given so much contracts ( and thus made so much money) that he is becoming a nuisance to all. Sure he built a mosque right before the round about around K Sauri, but where on earth did he get the money to build the massive textile plant on the opposite side of the steel rolling mills? Why is some Magal Airlines given the contact to lift Hajj pilgrims from KT?

Dahiru Mangal has been a very rich entrepreneur for long.There is no way you could conclude that he built this textile factory with ill gotten wealth.Please let us not be sentimental with such issues.Afterall the textile industry if opened will bring about employment to the teeming populace.

Jibo,in politics there are no saints.Buhari might be a hero to you but a villain to another person.Stoning and shouting at public figures is not new in politics all over the world.Yar'adua needs not hire thugs to shout at Buhari.Many people (yes from Katsina) would have shouted 'ba ma yi' to Buhari anyday. Politics they say is a dirty game.

Remember,during the days of the PTF under Buhari,Afri-projects consortium which belonged to late Salihijdo(a very close relative to Buhari's wife) was the only consultancy firm that handled the fund's projects and the fees the fund paid for consultancy were said to be exorbitant at that time.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Nuruddeen

The man has seroiusly disappointed his people. The worst was when he hired thugs to shout and stone Buhari of all pple. God forbid![/quote]

Jibo,in politics there are no saints.Buhari might be a hero to you but a villain to another person.Stoning and shouting at public figures is not new in politics all over the world.Yar'adua needs not hire thugs to shout at Buhari.Many people (yes from Katsina) would have shouted 'ba ma yi' to Buhari anyday. Politics they say is a dirty game.

Remember,during the days of the PTF under Buhari,Afri-projects consortium which belonged to late Salihijdo(a very close relative to Buhari's wife) was the only consultancy firm that handled the fund's projects and the fees the fund paid for consultancy were said to be exorbitant at that time.[/quote]

Actually I did not intend to reply this post because to me it is full of political lacuna and demystification of facts. It appears more of mythology than absolute reality. But since you have quoted me on Buhari discuss it we shall.

You see Gogannaka, some pple fail to understand simple political arithmetics. Indeed lack of  understanding of the ABC of politics has made ppl like Yar'adua to be used like pawns. When u tried to potray Umaru Musa as somebody who is clean, I see clearly in u a person whos economical with the truth. Agreed, Politics is a dirty game but hav u seen an instance where for example, late Chuba Okadigbo went against Ojukwu. Or have u eva witnessd an anticident where OBJ has criticed Awolowo? Not even this, tell me pls where u see justice Adewale Thompson, Abraham Adesanya or Prof Omorui hired errands to stone any of their native children, village mates,town mates or statesmen. What we are saying is this: U can down play pple and denigrate them politically but not by overt confrontation. Indeed, even at this one must do it with a human face. Whether u like it or not, Yaradua hired HOODLUMS to shout , stone and bark at Buhari like an evil. Imagine this!  

And on PTF issue: Ask ur self about the Books and the PTF Buses that perhaps u were one of the beneficiaries during ur university days. Whether its Salihijo or whoever, if u did not benefit one of ur men has ...

And pls allow Salihijo to rest eternally because God has warned us not to tok abot the death. Ask him Allah's repentance. Period!

gogannaka

I felt good that u replied Jibo.

I didn't want to reply to your last post as well but  :roll:
See,it seems to me that, to you, Yar'adua's major fault was for hiring thugs to shout 'ba ma yi' and stone General Buhari(the peoples General and a saint).All the other points you stressed were 'by the way', maybe so that you can add extra flame to 'Yaradua's atrocities.I can see that you didn't respond to any of my comments on the 'by the way' points you stressed except to the Salihidjo issue.I agree we should let the man rest,i agree that many Nigerians benefited from the Fund's Projects but still, PTF's project were single handedly handled by APC.If you could accuse Yar'adua of giving out contracts to only a few people why can't Buhari be accused as well?

Let me stress my point that politics is really dirty.I will not start giving you instances where our southern brothers(which i believe is what you intended to show to me) disaproved of their brothers.Go into research please.

Criticism is a good thing if it is contructive and non sentimental.

gogannaka

From all indications Yar'adua is going to be Nigeria's next president.