News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

On The Couch

Started by *~MuDa~*, December 10, 2006, 09:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakangizo

You aren't the only who hasn't watched Slumdog M. I didn't either. I'd love to. I will try get those hausa movies you recommended. I sorta gave up on them, but I know that with the hard stance Kano state govt has taken on them, they will either turn a corner or disappear completely.

HUSNAA

Jamaa'a anyone know where I can lay my hands on the Jackson 5 album "Looking through the window?". Seems like even utube dont have anything decent on it.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Fateez

Quote from: Bakan~Gizo on May 27, 2009, 05:04:52 PM
You aren't the only who hasn't watched Slumdog M. I didn't either. I'd love to. I will try get those hausa movies you recommended. I sorta gave up on them, but I know that with the hard stance Kano state govt has taken on them, they will either turn a corner or disappear completely.

Heheh! you too? I dunno what I was doing when everyone else was watching it.

*sigh* The sacrifices we make.

Anyways, about Hausa films. I'm not in Kano so I dunno what's going on in that

end but most of the good movies I have seen these days are made in Abuja.

I'm very sure you'll enjoy Wasan maza.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

Fateez

Quote from: HUSNAA on May 27, 2009, 09:38:39 PM
Jamaa'a anyone know where I can lay my hands on the Jackson 5 album "Looking through the window?". Seems like even utube dont have anything decent on it.

Have you tried iTunes? They have almost everything there! A song

will probably cost about $1.00 US. Will vary depending on where you

are though. Even some of the rarest Nigerian old school music can

be found on iTunes if you search properly. Good luck.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

HUSNAA

Thanks Fateez, I'm taking yr advice. I love that album cos  when I was a teenager, I bought it at the same time that I discovered the Jewish Holocaust through a book called the yellow star (which I also bought), and somehow whenever I listen to it, it evokes pictures of the horrors I saw and read in the book. The two are indelibly entwined in my mind.
Weird reasoning  for loving the album ko???  ;D ;D ;D ;D

bakangizo

Quote from: Fateez on May 31, 2009, 03:03:51 PM

I'm very sure you'll enjoy Wasan maza. [/glow]

Well, a friend promised to upload Slumdog on my pc. In na gni zan baki labari ;D

About those good hausa movies made in Abuja, I will say it is kinda primarily due to the location of Prime Studios in Abuja. It is a top class studio, probably the best in this part of the country, or so I was told. The producer of Wasan Maza also resides there, and he happen to be an educated fellow. Not your yoour usual run-of-the-mill directors/producers that have permeated the industry in recent times. He used to produce good movies while he was in Kano, before he got transfered to Abuja (he works with an organization in the financial service industry). He just continued there.

Fateez

Quote from: HUSNAA on May 31, 2009, 05:36:21 PM
Thanks Fateez, I'm taking yr advice. I love that album cos  when I was a teenager, I bought it at the same time that I discovered the Jewish Holocaust through a book called the yellow star (which I also bought), and somehow whenever I listen to it, it evokes pictures of the horrors I saw and read in the book. The two are indelibly entwined in my mind.
Weird reasoning  for loving the album ko???  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hehehe! You've been conditioned to associate the two! Some Pavlov stuff going on there! You know I'm

not very comfortable with the Jewish Holocaust. I've never read it up myself because I'm scared! From

my basic understanding it is gory and graphic. I sympathize with them though. The closest I have to it is

a movie called Freedom Writers starring Hilary Swank where she teaches her students about the

Anna Frank book on holocaust. You are really brave to read it as a teenager. I was more concerned about

Sweet Valley High, Enid Blyton's Mallory Towers, Secret Seven, Famous Five, and Goosebumps from R.L Stine.

I think Goosebumps is my limit. Thats all I can stomach when it comes to horror  :o  :o  :o  :o.

Fateez

Quote from: Bakan~Gizo on May 31, 2009, 07:11:18 PM
Quote from: Fateez on May 31, 2009, 03:03:51 PM

I'm very sure you'll enjoy Wasan maza. [/glow]

Well, a friend promised to upload Slumdog on my pc. In na gni zan baki labari ;D

About those good hausa movies made in Abuja, I will say it is kinda primarily due to the location of Prime Studios in Abuja. It is a top class studio, probably the best in this part of the country, or so I was told. The producer of Wasan Maza also resides there, and he happen to be an educated fellow. Not your yoour usual run-of-the-mill directors/producers that have permeated the industry in recent times. He used to produce good movies while he was in Kano, before he got transfered to Abuja (he works with an organization in the financial service industry). He just continued there.

Nice! I hope more people like him will emerge! That was probably what was missing from the previous

Kannywood. Any person from the street could purchase a camera and become a furodusa! It's funny

how it's not even his full-time job yet he's so good at it! I'm impressed! I love Iyantama movies but his

last one, Tsintisya, wasn't that great (Even though it had a very powerful message).

Dan-Borno

slumdog millionaire? ask Gogannaka ku sha labari, he sent
me one all the way from the mega city.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

HUSNAA

Quote from: Dan-Borno on June 01, 2009, 02:50:55 PM
slumdog millionaire? ask Gogannaka ku sha labari, he sent
me one all the way from the mega city.

That was very good of him

HUSNAA

Quote from: Fateez on June 01, 2009, 05:42:31 AM
Quote from: HUSNAA on May 31, 2009, 05:36:21 PM
Thanks Fateez, I'm taking yr advice. I love that album cos  when I was a teenager, I bought it at the same time that I discovered the Jewish Holocaust through a book called the yellow star (which I also bought), and somehow whenever I listen to it, it evokes pictures of the horrors I saw and read in the book. The two are indelibly entwined in my mind.
Weird reasoning  for loving the album ko???  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hehehe! You've been conditioned to associate the two! Some Pavlov stuff going on there! You know I'm

not very comfortable with the Jewish Holocaust. I've never read it up myself because I'm scared! From

my basic understanding it is gory and graphic. I sympathize with them though. The closest I have to it is

a movie called Freedom Writers starring Hilary Swank where she teaches her students about the

Anna Frank book on holocaust. You are really brave to read it as a teenager. I was more concerned about

Sweet Valley High, Enid Blyton's Mallory Towers, Secret Seven, Famous Five, and Goosebumps from R.L Stine.

I think Goosebumps is my limit. Thats all I can stomach when it comes to horror  :o  :o  :o  :o.

Lol I was more scared of Dracula the non existent monster than I was of the holocaust which was more real. I guess it had to do with time difference. The holocaust had come and gone, while Dracula was an undead and could ressurrect at any moment, and my room window  looked out to a forested area when I was at school and i used to be scared shitless every night I stayed up late to watch a dracula movie cos I always imagined he would bat into the room from that direction, so after I'd gone to bed, any noise used to frighten me into rigor mortis  (almost literally) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D....

Dan-Borno

recommendin EAGLE EYE

READ WHAT SOMEONE WROTE WHEN HE WATCHED THE FILM

Ah, the seemingly perfect combination of Steven Spielberg, director D.J. Caruso, and everyman leading star Shia LaBeouf. These guys took us by storm with the pleasant surprise Disturbia last year, and pretty much anything with the name Spielberg on it has to be at least entertaining, if not excellent. That's what Eagle Eye is.

First off, I cannot stress this enough: don't take this movie seriously. Please don't get mad because the movie isn't realistic. I know it's unrealistic. You know it. Shia LaBeouf knows it. That doesn't stop Eagle Eye from being one of the most entertaining and effective thrillers of recent memory. Is it as smart or as gripping as other chase and mystery thrillers such as the Bourne series? Of course not. However, whenever Eagle Eye stretches our minds to the breaking limits with the insanity on screen, it manages to throw in a mind boggling action sequence or two right as we start to get mad.

The film, very well masked by trailers that really only show the beginning of the film and small pieces of the end, deals with cyber-terrorism and a secret military project dealing with destruction and national security. The US Secretary of Defense is portrayed (Michael Chiklis), it's incredibly unrealistic, has Shia LaBeouf, and has a prominent military character (Anthony Mackie). I can already here the Transformers comparisons flying in. The film also lacks in the originality department elsewhere, as elements of I, Robot and Live Free or Die Hard are also present and quite obvious.

I cannot give enough accolades to whoever thought up this action - Eagle Eye boasts arguably the best action sequences of the year. The CGI is seamless and more than worthy of an Oscar nomination. With car chases to rival the best of them, as well as one of the most clever "on-foot" chases I've ever seen within an airport, Eagle Eye never fails to grab your attention with the incredible action sequences.

Now to our cast, the headliners of which are two of film's biggest rising stars. Both live up to their names and reputations admirably. Shia LaBeouf revisits the "troubled youth" character he created in Disturbia, though his turn here is darker and has more depth. He really stretches some acting muscle in the beginning of the film, and it is because of this early success that we are willing to go along for the ride with him, following, trusting, and believing in his Jerry Shaw. Michelle Monaghan, long one of the most underrated in the business, also helps us believe in her character with a convincing show of emotion early in the film. The whole film, despite the action sequences, rides on the shoulders of the leads. If the audience doesn't like them, the film will ultimately fail. I'm pleased to tell you that they rise to the occasion and carry the film with ease.

Our supporting cast includes veterans Billy Bob Thornton and Michael Chiklis. Maybe it was the script, but Thornton's character was so stereotypical and overdone that it almost made him laughable - especially towards the end. Chiklis did great in his role as the Secretary of Defense - and the unfortunate "victim" of circumstance. Rosario Dawson and Anthony Mackie are acceptable in even smaller roles.

I remember when I watched my first D.J. Caruso film a few years ago (Two For the Money), and I remember how much I hated that film. However, Caruso has certainly grown as a filmmaker and has found his niche in the hugely entertaining action blockbuster genre, even if a lot of "movie borrowing" is done. This will be his breakthrough that will allow him a little more freedom as a filmmaker and possibly allow him to blossom into more than just an action film director. The touches of Spielberg are obvious, as the legendary director/producer's presence is only a plus.

Eagle Eye, in short, is a summer blockbuster released in September. It feels like a summer film, and has the components of a summer film: explosions, terrorism, and Shia LaBeouf. It is everything you want in an entertaining action thriller. Don't go looking for your super realistic epic here - Eagle Eye prides itself on blowing your mind every way possible.

"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

HUSNAA

I watched terminator salvation last week. Pls ppl dont waste yr money. The movie is a washout There is nothing in it that wasnt there in the other terminator movies and i watched terminator judgment day again and found I enjoyed it better than terminator salvation. Mind you the whole thing is giving me a hangover, just like the matrix. too much of the same thing becomes a surfeit... yawn....................

Muhsin

LOL Auntie. ;D

I, for example, too, didn't at all enjoy watching Matrix. Two unbelievable. They flatly fail to create whats called "shunning suspension of disbelief" in the movie. Even a 7 years old boy can tell that it's bunch of computer stuff.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

HUSNAA

I loved the Matrix, Muhsin. I am not sure I can sit through it again though. There are some scenes which are worth watching all the time though, ie the rescue of Morpheus. That's worth watching any time. Some of the best stunts ever.