News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

HELP ME TRANSLATE

Started by MySeLf, January 16, 2007, 06:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUSNAA

Quote from: Dan-Borno on January 30, 2007, 06:00:59 PM
I think whoever translated the word INTERNET (YANAR GIZO) into hausa language has tried alot. Irin wannan cigaba shi muke so.  Lets try harder!!!

Yanar gizo an fassaro shine daga  kalmomin 'world wide web', ba da ga kalmar internet a ka fassara ba.
'Yanar gizon duniya' = world wide web. Dama mun san yana itace web a turance. Shi yasa fassarar bata gagaru ba. Muna da wa'yansu kalmomin a hausance, dalili kenan. Amma duk da haka an kokarta.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Dan-Borno

"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

MySeLf

Quote from: HUSNAA on January 30, 2007, 04:40:15 PM
kuli kuli = cookie cookie lol! now I wonder who borrowed from who?? ;D

Is cookies the currect translation for kuli kuli though?

And i also thought kohl is arabic not english.
!!!........................I STAND 4 ISLAM..........................!!!

alkanawi

yeah i think cookies is an approximate translation,you know there are some cookies that are deep fried just like kuli kuli
And you are right kohl is derived from Arabic just like soap,camel,admiral,magazine,assasin etc
so there u go or do u have better translation?
"corgito ergo sum"

MySeLf

I don't have any better translation alkanawi....... but i think the english word for kohl is eye liner or mascara.

HUSNAA

Kohl as a word is also used by the English. However, mascara strictly speaking is not kwalli, because it is applied on the lashes. Eyelining as a makeup is relatively new to the western world I think because if u look at the yrs  before the 1980s, women hardly ever lined their eyes as part of their makeup routine. It was always the mascara.  In the early 70s with the advent of glam rock (David Bowie, Marc Bolan, Kiss, Led Zeppelin), the glam stage make up included eyelining for the men. Then in the late 70s and early 80s, the new romantics (I think they were called) that is bands like Duran Duran, Adam and the Ants also applied eyeliners as part of their stage makeup, but they also had patches just like gentlemen used to wear in the 18th century (in those days, men powdered patched  lipsticked and wigged themselves exactly as the women did). I think the trend for western women wearing eyeliner really took off in the eighties, I also think that is when the west discovered the word kohl for eyeliner since this culture was very widespread in the mideast countries and indian subcontinent. I find that when I mention kohl in indian grocery stores, they dont know it by that name, but if u say kajal they immediately know what u mean. So maybe kajal is urdu or indian in origin?

Dan-Borno

I always taught about this word - ASHANA, it doesnt sound like hausa neither does it sound like English or Arabic, can someone enlighten me please
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

alkanawi

Thanks Husnaa, Myself totally lost me with that maska..,mosc..., masak....,masara...stuff.Totally Greek to me ,not being of the fairer sex u see.
"corgito ergo sum"

neozizo

Quote from: HusnaaKohl as a word is also used by the English. However, mascara strictly speaking is not kwalli, because it is applied on the lashes. Eyelining as a makeup is relatively new to the western world I think because if u look at the yrs  before the 1980s, women hardly ever lined their eyes as part of their makeup routine. It was always the mascara.  In the early 70s with the advent of glam rock (David Bowie, Marc Bolan, Kiss, Led Zeppelin), the glam stage make up included eyelining for the men. Then in the late 70s and early 80s, the new romantics (I think they were called) that is bands like Duran Duran, Adam and the Ants also applied eyeliners as part of their stage makeup, but they also had patches just like gentlemen used to wear in the 18th century (in those days, men powdered patched  lipsticked and wigged themselves exactly as the women did). I think the trend for western women wearing eyeliner really took off in the eighties, I also think that is when the west discovered the word kohl for eyeliner since this culture was very widespread in the mideast countries and indian subcontinent. I find that when I mention kohl in indian grocery stores, they dont know it by that name, but if u say kajal they immediately know what u mean. So maybe kajal is urdu or indian in origin?
Do you just know these things or you researh/look them up.Either way very impressive.keep it up.
Quote from: HUsnaaYes they are all variations of the same thing...computer. But as u can see in English, they already each have a name with which each is recognized by. Can we think up of names to apply to each item that are short and not too descriptive like the 'naura mai kwalkwalwa which is three words to describe a single item?
I think these cumbersome or awkward translation are neccessary or how else could you decribe 'wayar tafi da gidanka"(mobile phone) or "cutar shan inna or cutar kashe garkuwar jiki" (HIV/AIDS) etc to a typicalmazaunin karkar?

MySeLf

Quote from: alkanawi on February 01, 2007, 05:20:54 PM
Thanks Husnaa, Myself totally lost me with that maska..,mosc..., masak....,masara...stuff.Totally Greek to me ,not being of the fairer sex u see.

Hahaha!! Alkanawi
Baka san mascara ba....... to yaya shopping din lefe kenan? don irinsune
na zubawa.
koda yake Husna ta taimaka da full details

alkanawi

Myself ke da kika ce za ki bani baturiya wane lefe kuma? Ai zobe kawai zan saya mu je registry.Sauki na Allah ;D
"corgito ergo sum"

jewel(abdulgee22)

Quote from: Dan-Borno on January 16, 2007, 07:32:09 PM
Dambula, ba hausa

hausa translation of Dambula is an abuse, hypothetically like "uwaka" (no offence plz.)
for those that sleep their dreams is a reality, wake up is just an illussion."

jewel of d nile.

HUSNAA

Quote from: alkanawi on February 02, 2007, 12:18:05 AM
Myself ke da kika ce za ki bani baturiya wane lefe kuma? Ai zobe kawai zan saya mu je registry.Sauki na Allah ;D
Randa kuma kuka babata, ta kai ka to the cleaners for everything you have! ;D

MySeLf

Every Advantage has disadvantage kenan @ Husna, Alkanawi

So alkanawi daina dariyar zaka kwashi garabasa!.....  :D

gogannaka

Quote from: alkanawi on February 02, 2007, 12:18:05 AM
Ah! Da Gaske?
shine muke nan muke ta fama da kayayyakin zance,lefe,tambaya,bayarwa,sayen baki,toshi da dai sauransu.Ashe sauki na garin nasara.
Dama ina da wani zoben asurfa,i go take am to goldsmith make dem polish am  ;D
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment