News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Mecca II Medina -- LIVE ON STAGE in Nigeria (at bloody last!!!)

Started by Abdalla, February 03, 2007, 08:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abdalla

Jama'a, Sallamun Alaykum

I am starting this thread because it is sparkling new -- and in full stereo too! Also I want it to be a basis for providing feedback to subsequent activities that will follow.

I am sorry I have been rather absent, as Muhsin noted, but being an Almajiri, I am always on the road here and there. Further, most of the other discussions on this board are too heavy duty for me as I am completely ignorant of the issues being discussed. So unless it is musical, literary, dance, or filmic, you may not hear much of me -- which throws a challenge then, eh -- try to keep bringing them on!

I did not forget the Mecca II Medina concert which I promised at the Karamar Sallah Kukuma Rap. Scheduling conflicts made it impossible for us to hold the concert at the Babbar Sallah as initially promised. Remember, we are running the concerts in partnership with the British Council Kano, so things have to be streamlined to work out neatly for everyone.

But now I am very happy indeed to inform you all that the concert details have been finalized. Mecca II Medina are coming back, by popular demand, to perform three dates in Jos (Saturdy 10th February at Crest Hotel), Kaduna (Monday 12th February at Gamji Gate Theater) and a massive finale on Saturday 17th February at Kano British Council.

As with their concerts in 2005, they will also this time be accompanied by Nasiru Garba Supa's Arewa -- the band of traditional Hausa musicians who play with kuluma, duman garke, kalangu, sarewa and a female on shantu. Mecca II Medina, being nasheed rappers, will overlay their lyrics on the kukuma ensemble music. It was truly magical the last time they did it, and I hope for a repeat performance.

To further spice up the evening at each venue, we have also employed the services of young local rappers as the opening acts of each evening. In Jos we have a combination of three local rap bands that call themselves Living Scroll. In Kaduna we have a dude who goes by the stage name of Buzun Kaduna (and dressing up in Tuareg gear to match, too, even though he is from Edo State!).

In Kano, we have Billy-O (remember "Rainy Season") and Shaba ("Naga Matata) as the support act. Many who attended the Kukuma Concert during Karamar Sallah might remember Billy-O as the leader of the pack of rappers that opened that concert. This gig will be less crowded, as only Billy-O and Shaba will be on the frontside of the stage. Any additional dancers and back up singers will have to be way out of the way!

As usual the evening will start with the support act (Billy-O and Shaba in Kano, and others as listed in other towns), followed by Arewa solo spot, then Mecca II Medina solo spot, an intermission for the usual Q&A, and then a finale jam session featuring Arewa and Mecca II Medina; and who knows, maybe Billy O.

We are holding a (rather closed :-[) interactive session between Mecca II Medina and a group of about 10 local rappers/what they call R&B, nasheed and Shai'rai) from Kano on Thursday 15th February, which will include a jam session at 3.00 p.m. Those who happen to be in the BC around the day (and time) may drop in to see things for themselves. The musicians assembled from the Kano region cut across all the genres, including, interestingly enough a pair of musicians who call themselves PEACE -- using the synthesizer to build up Islamiyya type of songs in English, Hausa and Enghausa. Quite exciting, really. I have three of their demos and I am quite impressed with what I hear. They are Nazir Hausawa and Umar Gombe (who used to be a Hausa videofilm star, but now has migrated to music). I will see about uploading their samples at the download section of the site.

More significantly, however, we are holding an open  :D dialogue on Saturday 17th February where Mecca II Medina will address members of the audience about their music, their hopes and their aspirations in using music as a bridge to understanding in multicultural societies. You are welcome to drop by at 10 to 12 on Saturday 17th February.

We are hoping for two things to come out of this concert (beside people enjoying themselves!). First, would be a contract to be signed between Arewa and Mecca II Medina concerning recording deals. This is very exciting because it would mean that Kukuma Rap CD would be a reality in Virgin, HMV, Our Price, Tower and other stores across the world from New York to Hong Kong.  Second, we hope that more collaborations could be possible between Mecca II Medina and other local musicians; at the same time, we hope for a horizontal collaboration among the local musicians themselves. So all told, things are looking kinda peachy, as we used to say back in the college days!

Now to the REAL news! I have reserved 10 invitations to the 17th February concert for Kano Onliners at the Security Post of the BC in Kano (Emir's Palace Road, opposite Kano Printing Press) for anyone on this forum who may wish to attend. I am afraid due to other committments I may not follow the tour group to Jos and Kaduna, so I am not sure about those who wish to attend in these cities. If you do live in Jos or Kaduna, and wish to attend, let me know within THIS week so that I can arrange for where you can get your invitation.

Would love to send the invites to Hong Kong, but I am sure SHE would not be able to come (mysterious, wot is he talkin' abaht? ???). However, HER kids can of course come. These invitations can be picked up from about Wednesday 14th February. If there are difficulties, please let me know BEFORE the concert day. And if you are coming (with your family -- mum, dad, sis (if you can stand her!), bro (if you can stand him!) make sure you are there at 7.00 p.m. to avoid the hordes who may try to come in without invites. If you are stuck at the gates, holla, and I will try to come and rescue you!

So let the discussions begin -- what would you want to be covered at the concert, what would you want us to avoid?

Abdalla

gogannaka

Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Dan-Borno

From Maiduguri to Kano.... ? ? thats about 500 kilos, but i think i will attend.  Count me in Prof.  I pray u will be able to control the crowd!!!!!
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

guest33

Abdalla

Jos -- please pick up the invitation from SANI MU'AZU, who is the contact person. I'm afraid I don't have his phone number, but he owns LENSCOPE MEDIA, a fairly famous outfit in Jos, we are informed. Remember the concert is on Saturday 11th February 2007. We almost had to re-schedule because Mecca II Medina were stranded in Amsterdam due to heavy snow which affected flights to Nigeria. But insha Allah we are moving on. They are arrving to Nigeria via Abuja, and from there direct to J-town.

Didn't know there was interest from Maiduguri, otherwise would have ensured your invitation is hand-delivered as we had someone just returned from there! We will try to control the crowd, but to avoid the crowd at all try to be there within the time stipulated 7.00 - 7.30 during which we allow only those with the invitations. Beyond 7.30, it is a jungle out there! However, if any KanoOnliner gets stuck out at the gates, please holla on 08033208384 and I will come with the flying squad to rescue you!

Those in Kaduna may pick up their invitations at New Age (as Hauwa Maina, or Auwalu Rimi) offices. The event itself is scheduled at Gamji Gate theater on Monday 12th February 2007 at 7.00 p.m.

Those in Kano please pick up the invitations at the Security post at BC (Emir's Palace Road, Kano City). Identify yourself as KanoOnliner (and try not to look embrassed about it!)

I will not co-ordinate the Jos and Kaduna events  :'(, so those who do attend let us know how it goes, o.k.? That way if there are problems we can nip them in the bud before the finale in Kano. As I said in the previous post, Mecca II Medina are giving a talk about their music in the morning of Saturday 17th February 2007 -- kinda open house, so if you happen to be in Kano for the weekend, feeling kinda bored, why not pop in. It is from 10.00 a.m. to 12 noon. You might even get soda to drink!

Shari'a? Of course it is Shari'a compliant! It is a family affair, innit?! So come along with your Mom, Dad, Sis (ahem) or Bro (ahem, ahem)- I said it before, right! ::)

Abdalla

NewEte

Wait a minute, I thought stuff like this was anti-Islam. Maybe I am wrong, but it my impression that musical expression of this nature is totally unaccepted in Islam. I recall just a few years ago when music was even banned in marriage ceremonies in Zamfara and some other northern states. Then recently on this thread, some of our female contributors were chastised for watching and enjoying cartoon on T.V by some hardline religious authority. So I am confused here. If Tom & Jerry cartoon shows are inappropriate for viewing, how in this world will an all out music jamboree (which supposedly includes muslim version gangster rap, hoochies mamas, and curse words) be appropriate?
Is this really going to take place? Or is this 419?

Dan-Borno

"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

gogannaka

Wai,that is a little difficult for me.1st of all i dont know much about jos.I got someone to describe crest hotel to me but the lenscope media seem to be hard to locate.
Inshaallah i'l try as much as possible to find the place.Now i can see the importance of the telephone.

Abdalla

Quote from: Dan-Borno on February 09, 2007, 02:58:56 PM
Ete has landed again! will you or will you not attend?

This guy is a troll. He derives pervasive pleasure in sending you up with his diatribe about Islam, Northern Nigeria, Hausa, etc. It beats me why you bother to even acknowledge his existence.

NewEte

Abdalla, whatever!  :P
For your information, I make this forum very interesting. See how boring it is since I haven't posted any new topics? My postings here arouses people's intellect.
I've never see you discuss anything of significance here regardless of topic. The only thing you've done is place an annoucement here about a Nigerian version of American idol and then invite people to show up 500 miles away from their residences. Like some other forumites here, I was simply wondering if this was sharia compliant. Is it wrong to ask these questions ahead of time in order to avoid any misunderstanding?
Wasn't it just a few years ago that the Miss Universe contest was thwarted in Kaduna or so because shariaists were offended that the event promoted indecency? As a result, it even led to a bloody riot.
So should one not make sure that this "Move to Mecca II" event meets all decency guidelines as prescribed by the Umma? Isn't it prudent for one to follow up and make sure the event is sanctioned by the leading Northern Clerics such as the Grand Ayatollahs, etc?
I would rather know this information ahead of time rather than board a plane to Kano and be told the show is cancelled. Wouldn't you?

Dave_McEwan_Hill

New Ete's attempts at offensive humour are childish and are getting tiresome.
Members of this forum will be aware that I have little time for Sharia law when it is interpreted foolishly but I see little in any of Abdalla's post to suggest that this subject has anything to do with his post.
maigemu

NewEte

Dave, I am getting tired of your very annoying inferances. You need to freaking go back and read where others have asked if the show was sharia compliant. Why aren't complaining about that? Listen pal, if you better back the hell off DAVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's getting ridiculous already!

Dan-Borno

Hey guys, lets share some respect whenever we are dicussing issues in this forum.  I cant wait to see either Dave or Malam Sabo Ete exchanging words, deviating from the central theme of our discourse.

Malam Sabo Ete! i want to draw your attention very clearly by refreshing your memory:

Quote from: guest33 on February 08, 2007, 08:08:45 PM
Will the concert be sharia compliant?

This is the question asked by guest33, and immediatelly, Prof replied:

Quote from: Abdalla on February 09, 2007, 12:18:50 AM
Shari'a? Of course it is Shari'a compliant! It is a family affair, innit?! So come along with your Mom, Dad, Sis (ahem) or Bro (ahem, ahem)- I said it before, right! ::)

It is supposed to be over from here, then you Malam Sabo Ete slammed in, with a different topic which is not an issue in this thread:

Quote from: NewEte on February 09, 2007, 02:34:35 PM
Wait a minute, I thought stuff like this was anti-Islam.

That is why Dave quickly reacted:
Quote from: Dave_McEwan_Hill on February 12, 2007, 01:44:03 AM
New Ete's attempts at offensive humour are childish and are getting tiresome.

That is   why in my post, i quickly tried to bring you Ete back to track (topic)

Quote from: Dan-Borno on February 09, 2007, 02:58:56 PM
will you or will you not attend?

Malam Ete, dont be offended, lets get back to the topic.  Will you or will you not attend?

gogannaka

I attended the Jos event.The turnout was sooooooo poor.I think those that attended weren't up to 50.Plus the acoustis was not good. We heard the music but not the lyrics.
I hope M2M were not disappointed.
I'll write a brief summary of event later inshaallah.
I hope the KD and Kano ones will have a greater turnout.

alkanawi

Quote from: gogannaka on February 12, 2007, 07:38:56 PM
I'll write a brief summary of event later inshaallah.
lol if its brief it is a summary likewise if its a summary then it should be brief ;D
Ba ka ganin ko ba ayi sufficient marketing bane? It should give some lessons for future events anyway.
And i hope it becomes more successful
Malam Danbarno na ga alama ba ka son bin shawarar Prof.Ka daina kula wannan mutumin. Q.e.d
"corgito ergo sum"