News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

U.S. spy chief warns of crisis in Nigeria

Started by Dan-Borno, February 27, 2007, 11:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Borno

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The director of U.S. intelligence warned Tuesday of instability in Nigeria amid concern that outgoing President Olusegun Obasanjo is manipulating the political process ahead of April's elections.

Mike McConnell, who laid out global threats facing the United States for a Senate committee, said that unrest in Africa's most populous country could spill into neighboring countries........

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/02/27/us.nigeria.ap/index.html

Whenever the issue of unrest or civil war is mentioned,
suddenly my hearts skips for a while.
I wasnt old enough to narrate what happened during the Nigerian Civil War,
but from what I heard and read, its an experience no sane person will pray for.

The Biafran war, 1967-1970, resulted in 100,000 military casualties.
However, between 500,000 and 2 million Biafran civilians died from starvation during the war.

Allah ya rufa mana asiri.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

alkanawi

i think this is about the 5th time such doomsday scenario is being painted by the US,starting from their 15 yrs terminal date for nigeria report.And it is  not for any altruistic reason or love for the entity called nigeria or Nigerians.It is about securing their energy supply from nigeria which supplies over 50% of its oil to the USA.
However that is not discountening the fact that there is some measure of truth in their fears as the manipulative schemes of OBJ and his cohorts in INEC and EFCC,could throw the country in a path not welcomed.Again with the unrest in N/delta(justifiable to some extent)coupled with the massive inflow of arms-a recent report by the police said they siezed three truck loads of arms and ammunition-and the government's do-or-die ambition to retain power,a potent brew for unrest looks likely.

However,"They plot and God plans,and God is the best of planners"
"corgito ergo sum"

Dave McEwan Hill

As Dan Borno says the Nigerian Civil War was a bloody abomination and a matter of shame to America and UK who stopped the Red  Cross and food flights into Biafra which resulted in the starvation of hundreds of thousands of Biafrans and the collapse of the Biafran statelet. I have always wondered at the dignity of the Ibo peoples who suffered terribly and undeservedly in that war yet are very often the most charitable, open and friendly of all peoples (and hugely industrious).
America and UK did not of course come to the aid of the Federal Nigerian Forces in the CVivil War for altruistic reasons. They did so so they could maintain access to Nigeria's petroleum which they had through compliant Nigerain governments. They had guarantee they would be so well served by a Biafran government who would certainly have been more interested in the benefits the oil revenues could have given to the peoples of Biafra.
Whatever Nigeria does it must avoid another Civil War. It must keep the political process going no matter how disappointing your political leaders might be at the moment. All differences can always be resolved by honest dialogue and changes of the government structure in Nigeria can be as well effected by negotiation as by war and seccession.
America's interest in Nigeria should worry all Nigerians. It is presently trying to invent a case to invade Iran for Iran's oil.

Hafsy_Lady

Quote from: Dave McEwan Hill on February 28, 2007, 01:28:53 AM
I have always wondered at the dignity of the Ibo peoples who suffered terribly and undeservedly in that war yet are very often the most charitable, open and friendly of all peoples (and hugely industrious)..

Igbo man, kill ehn pikin, as long as it is bisinesh.....you are forgiveth!! Money forward......anything backwards
What you see is what you get[/b]

MySeLf

Well i just pray our leaders will wake up and smell the coffee.
We really need to unit regardless of our differences.
If not the American and Britain will keep creeping into that gap, destroying us and taking our wealth.
!!!........................I STAND 4 ISLAM..........................!!!

_Waziri_

I think this is not a time to start blaming the Americans for the impending disaster predicted. One does not need a dooms day speller to know the truth that the Nigerian destiny is crises, unless otherewise, we do what we are suppose to do.

guest33

Quote from: Hafsy_Lady on February 28, 2007, 04:04:59 AM
Quote from: Dave McEwan Hill on February 28, 2007, 01:28:53 AM
I have always wondered at the dignity of the Ibo peoples who suffered terribly and undeservedly in that war yet are very often the most charitable, open and friendly of all peoples (and hugely industrious)..

Igbo man, kill ehn pikin, as long as it is bisinesh.....you are forgiveth!! Money forward......anything backwards

Hafsy_Lady, your comments are offensive and incredibly ignorant.

Dave McEwan Hill

Indeed they are.
The enemies of Nigeria are not mainly Americans and British (though they rarely act in any interest other than their own).The biggest enemy of Nigeria is Nigerians who hate other Nigerians.

neozizo

Is this development related in any way with america's intentions to set up an african command center for US forces?

Dave McEwan Hill

alkanawi

According to the  DOE "Oil is the lifeblood of America's economy.  Currently, it supplies more than 40% of our total energy demands and more than 99% of the fuel we use in our cars and trucks."

Nigeria happens to be an important strategic source of this vital commodity,being the fifth largest supplier of oil to the U.S . Official energy statistics from the U.S govt(eia) indicates that in 2005,Nigeria ss over 425 million barrels of crude out of a total consumption of 5 billion barrels or over 12% of the oil supplied.

Now to put all this in proper perspective,Mr Carter (39th president)  said "an attempt by any outside force to gain control of the Persian Gulf region will be regarded as an assault on the vital interests of the United States of America, and such an assault will be repelled by any means necessary, including military force."

Amazing as it may sound,that can still be regarded as diplomatese. In plain english, it is "DONT F**K WITH MY OIL SOURCE.
"corgito ergo sum"