News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

A Glimpse of a life of a Convert: An Unwanted Chronicle

Started by tofutokwa, April 22, 2007, 08:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tofutokwa

I really love Islam and I love Allah more than everything in this world

I'am sorry for the tears of my family when I embrace Islam but this is what my heart desires for all time and when I enter Islam, all question became answered

I'am sorry that I make my mother cries, and I understand my sister if she hates me for that, if all my kit and kin turn back on me

When my officemate confessed to me that she has an Muslimophobia because she says that everytime she see a muslim on one street, she crossed another for the fear that Muslim carries bomb, the only thing I can do is to become the most kind muslim they ever knew

Whenever they asked you a question about Islam, I always tell them that If you want to know something, you got to search for  and it is something that is not given for you for free. It is not that I'am greedy and i'am making Islam not available to them, it is just that I dont want misconception. You see, I dont have the gift of gab and I could make mistake but I should not include teaching Islam as one of my mistake

I know I had hurt my fellow Christian when I converted to Islam but this is what my heart want. When ever they feed me about terrorism , my love for Islam just grew more and more and more deeper

I'am really a desperate to become Muslim that why I got to have a relationship to a Muslim fellow and he happened to be a Nigerian, that's why I know about this place

but what is the most hurtful about being Muslim,

One day, while in the Mosque, someone approach me  and speak in their native language. I said I dont understand you, and what she reply:

"You are not Muslim because you don't speak our language" :( :( :'(

Well does not exactly what she said but that's the essence.

Anyway, who in Kano could understand me? All in Kano are Muslim right?

Fateez

Tofutokwa, That's really touching...  :'(  :'(  :'(

Most of us are born into Muslim Families and we have no

idea how hard it is for converts into Islam to be accepted.

I met someone last week whose father kicked him out of

home for embracing Islam. He had no where to go, no money,

no shelter; he was only 17. Luckily he is back on his feet now.

About prejudice against Islam, you can try and try and try to

convince them, but for some people, they have made up their

minds and there's no changing it. The best thing to do is be the

best you can be at everything you do. Especially when it comes

to behaviour and principles, eventually people would come around.

Oh, and Kano is a mixture of both Muslims and Christians, English

should be good enough for communication everywhere. Good Luck

with everything, may Allah guide you through.

P.S: Judging from the "Kwa" in ur name, are you of chinese origin?
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

thegood

Anya? Why can't we learn each other's language so that we become true nigerians? think about this it will go along way in solving some of our domestic problems.
always believe in w't you do

sheriff 05

I honestly understand your emotional difficulties and we extend our deepest sympathies. Its' understandable when people who aren't Muslims treat you with suspicion, but when Muslims do so as well, that must be really hard. Sadly however, that is a growing norm in Islamic societies even within our own country, Nigeria.

Tribal, religious and sectarian differences are threatening to erode the common values which we've shared for so long, and worse of all, we the next generation seem not to even care about healing this divide. Ignorance is prevalent and there is absolutely no respect for the rule of law, two basic ingredients for anarchy, indiscipline and reckless action in the name of religion..... Forgive me, I digress...

Your approach to life is excellent and your reaction to the challenges is most impressive. I urge you to patiently keep it up, to reply every criticism or mockery meted out to you with kind words and good actions, and to keep patient even in times of hardship. Its' hard, I know (trust me I really do), but "surely with difficulty comes ease" (Qur'an 94:5)... That is the teaching of Islam.

I once lived (for a few weeks) in a community where-in I was one of very few Muslims. We got along exceptionally well with the other members of the community, and because our prayer areas were separate from our sleeping area, they had no idea that I was a Muslim. When eventually I told them, to my surprise and amusement, they argued with me that it was either I was lying, or that I'm not a "true" Muslim. There reasoning was that during our stay, we had never fought and where the occasional scuffles happened between two parties, I was always part of the solution.

We had talked often, respected each other and we were all doing beneficial societal work. That, they believed, is so unlike what Muslims are. As far as they were concerned, Muslims represent dependency, embarrassment, violence, oppression, greed, backwardness, narrow mindedness etc...... I wasn't at all surprised by their words. Its part of the things you hear all around, criticism a chunk of which in all honesty (in my opinion) may be justified.

Therefore, you'll hear a lot and you'll be exposed to a lot, but bear with patience and respond only with kindness and good words, because in the words of the alchemist, "when seemingly worthless lead is well heated and tested, it turns to its purest form, it turns to gold"...

Also remember that despite the harshness of the criticism you may hear, if you're objective enough and patient enough to withstand it and listen carefully to it, you may learn something new about how you can further improve yourself.

It's very nice to hear from you. We may not have solutions to your problems, but we definitely will be here to help you live through it.

P.S., please forgive my earlier response to your other post, it may have sounded rude. You'll find information about the Mali mosque in the documentary on Islamic history and architecture I put up in another post.

Dan-Borno

Quote from: tofutokwa on April 22, 2007, 08:06:35 AM
One day, while in the Mosque, someone approach me  and speak in their native language. I said I dont understand you, and what she reply:
"You are not Muslim because you don't speak our language" :( :( :'(

What native language?
Which country?
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

tofutokwa

I'am from Southeast Asia and even when I told you what kind of language you is my mother toungue , you might not recognized it

Dan-Borno

What is Southeast Asia?
Did you mean your town doesnt have a name
or is not on the globe?
So also your language.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

alkanawi

Quote from: tofutokwa on April 22, 2007, 08:06:35 AM

my love for Islam just grew more and more and more deeper

My luv for u keeps growing anytym i read u'r post.Why dont we hook up? I'm in Southeast Asia too,u kno that town just 40 mins away frm u. 8)
"corgito ergo sum"

tofutokwa

I'am from Philippines

My mother tounge is Tagalog but i can speak with English and I'am from the Northern Philippines

Most Muslim here are from the South, from Northern Malaysia through out Indonesia

Dan-Borno

Quote from: tofutokwa on April 15, 2007, 07:30:29 AM
it just that I have a boyfriend that is Nigerian Citizen living in Kano and he is studying in Bayero University.

So tell us more about this your boyfriend in Kano
How did you meet him?
What is his name?
Are u planning to get married?

And do you know anybody called Jhon Paul?

tofutokwa

Salam

I would not like to give his name for his privacy but I would prefer to describe him to you in the most odd way

There was a dark moth, she is living in the total dark gloomy place
She was left alone and the world did not notice her existence
so she also does not know the world existed for she had her own world

One day, just like any ordinary day, an extraordinary thing happen
There was this guy, whose statue was like a prince began to notice him
He called "beautiful" and "lovely" when she was only ordinary moth
the word that she never heard honestly to everyone ever since her existence

He was about to rest on one Palm trees and took a look at this moth
He has the air of royalty, and when he speak
He has the tone of honesty and his aura burst like a saint worth vindicating
He has also the face of a glimmering star scintillaring out of abyss
To sum it all, he is man every girl creature can dream about

She followed that man while he was in the oasis, savoring every moment
She know she should crawl on his underside and stick to him forever
but she was so much afraid to get out of the water
She was a moth who must be in water all the time
she never risked to live in the desert only to dries up
Actuallty, his name means "dessert" in Arabic

Now as she stare across the vast Saharan Dessert
She had wished she had risked her life instead
but she was of no choice
She was an insect born in the water and could not evolve
She was a stupid insect
As she gazed, she strongly wished that man
Once again, cross the oasis, even just step by
For even she was a fossil, she will be still waiting

Am I make an enigma out of this? Actually, no it is only my heart talking after all
The only John Paul I know is the Pope last year have been dead :)

IBB

ance zato zunubi ne amma nidai ban yarda da wannar yar Eshiyar ba. Sai kame kame take. Dan-barno ka birge ni yar da kake cusa mata tambaya. Inda gaske take Allah taimake ta
IHS