News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Musa Yar Adua - What was his track record

Started by AD, January 28, 2007, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AD

I hope some of you folks can help out here. I am interested in hearing what people think about Musa Yar Adua's record as Governor of Katsina state.

Even though he is now the front runner to be the next President of Nigeria, there seems to be very little scrutiny as too how he fared as Governor, and the man himself seems to a bit introverted (at least for a Politician!) so he unlikely to go around blowing his own trumpet.

The very little I can gather from the media is that he left a lot of money in the state coffers, but that in itself begs the question why? Were there no legitimate projects that required funding in Katsina rather than leaving the money in Bank.

Anyway I hoping people from Katsina or people knowledgeable about Katsina can cast some light on the pluses and minuses of his 8 year term.

AD.

NewEte

Dude,
Here is what one one Sagir Mohammed, a former Military intelligence officer turned spokesperson of the IBB for president campaign said about both Yar-Adua and Buhari.

Sagir Mohammed;
"My opinion of the Presidential candidate of PDP and the presidential candidate of the ANPP is that these are people of integrity. These are people with high moral standards. These are people who have been transparent, not only in the management of their personal affairs, but also in the management of the trust reposed on them, in their various capacities.

You see Gov. Yar'Adua is a very honest person and he has kept the trust reposed on him as the governor of Katsina State. He has developed the state and he has kept a lot of funds, for the unforeseen future of his people. Third, his development of the educational system and the health sector is quite commendable. But his exposure as a politician to the other sections of the Nigerian society is something which is in question. But the fact that he could lead with vision, mission, transparency and honesty is not in doubt.

Buhari has been tested. A no-nonsense head of state. During the brief period he was head of state, he was able to move the country from the precipice of poverty to prosperity. But it is a pity that the intra rivalry within the military found him unacceptable and got him overthrown. But now as a politician, he is a broad based politician, who has implanted his foothold in the grassroots. He is somebody you can be sure that the resources of the country will be utilized for the purpose they are meant for. He is an honest, transparent person, but highly rigid, sometimes to a fault. But all I can say is that as a politician, he is not a military General now. He has to be more broad based, he has to listen to advice, he has to be more forthcoming in whatever he is doing."

You can read the rest of his commentary in this link below
http://odili.net/news/source/2007/jan/27/812.html

Problem is, I have no idea what this man is talking about.  Nearly everything he said about both yar-Adua and buhari are very generic. Unfortunately, most Nigerian 'leaders' or their spokes people do not understand the need and importance of providing specific details and information on the subject they are commenting on. So here again, we still have no idea what yar-Adua really did in his 8 years as governor. We know, according to him and this ex 'intelligence' officer that he left a 'whole lot of money' in the treasury, but the forgot to tell us how much exactly he left, or how much he inherited upon resuming office. Maybe someone ought to tell them that such information are actually vital in helping people form an opinion.

The other thing I want to add is the fact that much credit is given to Buhari for imposing order into the Nigerian society and for introducing that war against indiscipline. Then of course he jailed all former governors and politicians in an effort to clean up corruption when he seized power. People see this action and attribute it to Buhari's honest trait. I have to agree that Buhari and Idiagbon kicked ass then and people were compelled to comply with laws because of the administration's "Praetorian" guards that enforced those laws military style. That was then though.

The question is, how exactly does Buhari plan on getting a handle on things and installing 'order' as his supporters believe he is capable of doing now that as a civilian president, he would not be in Uniform, he would not have the muscle he had as military head of state, he would have to share power, his powers would be checked by the Judiciary and the legislature, and most importantly, cannot rule by decree. It is whole lot tougher than imagined. As it is right now, several political opponents of his are clearly sticking their fingers in his face unintimidated one bit.

So to me, this belief that if Buhari were elected, he would instill law and order overnight is simply an illusion. He simply won't be able to bark orders and have people do his every biding. This is the problem Obasanjo is currently facing with his attempt to fire Atiku. He just can't because the constitution prevents him, the National assembly won't let him, and the Supreme court won't sanction it. If Buhari were to win, it would be interesting to see how he handles and adjusts to civilian life in a democcratic system. The whole process just might drive him nuts!!!

gogannaka

The man Yar'adua according to the media transformed Katsina state from a debt ridden state to a state with over 6 billion Naira in reserve.
He is accused of developing only the state capital(katsina town) and ignoring the local governments.
He is accused of giving out contracts to only a few people that happen to be his financiers(at least that was what jibo nura stated) check it out on http://kanoonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=2696.0
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

HUSNAA

It seems that OBJ's plan to  control Yar adua from the sidelines may just back fire in his face. He apparently has taken on more than he bargained for in Yar adua, who from all indications is one of those silent types whom one can say of that still waters run deep. Forumnites read this pls.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2007/may/26/national-26-05-2007-01.htm
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

sheriff 05

while I am no politician, Hajia Husna, a very inciteful article indeed.. and it further confirms rumors going round about the nature of his personality..bt we all know BABA, I hope he doesnt cook up a dangerous game trying to counter Yar'adua's "autonomy" ... Allah dai ya sa mu kare lafiya..

HUSNAA

Ai tafaru takare for Baba OBJ. Its too late for him to cook up anything dangerous. The irony is that the only thing he can do is to go one step further from his admission of some election malpractice which was not enough to annul the election to admitting that the rigging was sufficiently ugly to warrant a new round of voting if only for the presdential position. That is so that he can get rid of yar adua. But ofcourse that is impossible. It would be cutting off his nose to spite his face and what a face (imagine it without a nose!! ;D) So he just has to grin and bear the consequences and be reminded  that he did the same thing to the IBB camp when Bi Iznillah, they placed him in ASO rock.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Janwuya

Ai lallai ta faru ta kare, there's nothing else he can do...he doesn't know what he was getting into, looking for a 'stooge'  ;D