News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

NIGERIAN PRISON, NA WA O - 443 PERSONS AWAIT TRIAL IN J\KUJE PRISON

Started by Dan-Borno, August 01, 2007, 02:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Borno

As the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) judges begin their vacation this week, about 443 persons are still awaiting trial in Kuje maximum prisons.

An investigation by the City News reveals that out of 502 inmates at Kuje prisons, 59 are convicts serving their sentences, while 443 are kept in the awaiting trial section of the prison.

Some of the inmates awaiting trial complained of money to get lawyers to follow up their cases while others had nobody to follow up their bail applications.

Inmates spoken to at court premises had various complains ranging from being picked up innocently by the police and charged with theft, while another inmate complained of being arrested when he inquired of a suspect in the police net.

Other inmates spoken to in the prison yard said their case files were missing and their investigating police officers unknown.

"We are left to rot here," one of them said.

Those awaiting trial do not have the same freedom as convicts who have schedules and engage in prison activities.

Some of the awaiting trial inmates confessed that they would have preferred to be convicted so that they could enjoy the freedom experienced by convicts in the prison.

"The chief judge should send down judges to Kuje prisons to meet one by one with all the awaiting trial inmates," a prisoner suggested.

He said the normal practice of selecting inmates to see judges on an amnesty mission had denied some innocent inmates freedom.

Written by Abubakar Yakubu
Daily Trust Newspapers
01 August, 2007

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Dan-Borno yace:

Welcome to Nigeria, the Giant of Africa.
Until and when you take a visit to our prisons, then
you will agree that its the government that trains all
the criminals in our midst.

Imagine, someone who was caught smoking Ganja,
took to prison and languished in waiting trial, at
the end - he took his first professional course on
how to be a burgler if he eventually comes out.

Left to me, both the Bar and the Bench, with due
respect, are not doing anything about this issue.
All the delays in our court system are caused by
frivolous lawyers and supported by the dummy
judges, who dont have their own view, except that
of the lawyers.

What is the solution to this unwanted and unreasoable
prison congestion?

How do we avoid/discourage frivolous and unwanted
delays in our court system?

SHouldnt the constitution make provision for the quick
dispensation of cases in our courts?

Have you ever take a visit to your local prison and console
our dear brothers and sisters, so that when they come
out, they will appreciate and change for the better?
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

babanteema1

I really agree with Dan Borno. There is alot of wrong things happening in the so called giant of Africa for nothing. Innocents are being detained awaiting trials, while the real culprits who engage in looting the treasuries of the masses are left moving around with a lot of praises. One good thing about this world that I am happy about is that, there is surely going to be an end to all these, meaning dead and we are all going to meet Almighty Allah and explanined our various roles in the world. That day, there will be no President, Vice President, Senators, House of Reps, Ministers etc. We shall all be equal befotre Almighty Allah. May Allah help us to have IMAN so that we can leave responsibly for us to account to all our deeds. AMEEEEEEEN.