News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

THE NIGERIAN POLICE - VICTORS OR VILLAINS

Started by Dan-Borno, August 02, 2007, 05:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Borno

It surprises me whenever we talk about the Nigerian Police,
its like raising dust in the midst of fog.  The issue is so
terrible, it sometimes rises a hot debate that could not
be so easily done with.  The Nigerian Police have got a
bad image by her consistent brutality and exploitation
of people its supposed to protect and serve with integrity.

Wallahi there are instances were kurukuru, ido na ganin
ido injustice which the ordinary man cannot help but burst
out in tears kuma yaja Allah ya isa - thats the end of the
matter.

The Nigerian Police is expected to protect the citizenry
against crimininals and to defend the rights of the masses.
But the story in Nigeria is different.

Check out this Diary

In July 2005, the much celebrated case of the Apo SIX where six promising young men were brutally murdered by a gang of police patrol team in the fabricated tale that they were thieves when it came to the limelight.

Also, the brutal clash between the police and the Army in Ojuelegba area of Lagos left much to be desired from forces that lack the credibility and public confidence to operate in any civil society.

A drive along major Nigerian cities will give much evidence to the sorry sight of the men in black propping their guns at drivers, demanding for particulars that they are not too particular about. Their key interest is in the pockets of drivers, to dig deep into their pockets and dole out naira notes for as little as 20 naira for the most paperless driver to pass through and for the most paperful drivers to be kept haggling and prancing with the cliché: "do you know who I am?" The several road blocks on Nigerian major streets are of little use as the police are only there to enrich themselves and their bosses who post them there to get the returns for such lucrative postings!

To take a case to the police station is like adding gun powder to an already loaded gun. Most people quickly shy away from taking their problems to the police station because it only means more cost for them. One needs to pay for a case file for as high as 2000 naira before the police will even desire to take up the case. Even when they reluctantly do so, they treat the suspect as well as the prosecutor as if it were a favour. Rather than see it as their rightful duty, the police treat cases with an air of nonchalance and undue favouritism that leaves one dismayed. The Police extort monies from all the parties involved in the guise of meting out justice and this scares the populace from ever taking a future case to the police even when it becomes expedient. The Police have become a measure of last resort to Nigerians as the panacea to their problems.

We should learn to first walk within the confines of the law;
for it is only when one is innocent that one can boldly defend
his or her right. In as much as we know that the police are
also capable of abusing such rights of the innocent,
it is still advisable that keeping the law by all and sundry
is a welcome start. When this is done, we should learn
to take up issues involving any police excess brutal behaviour
to a higher authority. Report cases of police abuse directly to
the DPO, the divisional headquarters or even the Commissioner
of police. It will surprise some of us to know that most of these
police abuses are kept from the knowledge of these higher
authorities. People usually think that taking up such cases
further is futile but the contrary is the case. Those high
up in rank feel more of the consequences than those below,
so they take such reports more serious than we can imagine.
It is this negligence by the populace to report such excesses
that has also contributed to the persistence of this police
abuse of power.

So tell me Kliners, any first hand experience on Nigerian
Police Brutality?
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

babanteema1

Dan Borno, thanks for a well written contribution. Well as far as I am concern, the whole Nigeria as an entity is sick, not only the Nigeria Police. Can You imagine, I was taking my wife to my hometown for delivery and I was stopped by a Police Man on the highway. He asked for my particulars which i did showed him and found nothing wrong with them. He then asked for fire extinguisher, triangle, spare tire etc (What does a policeman got to do by asking for all these for God sake). After showing him all he requested for and was satisfied, he then went further to insult me by asking how much my wife paid me to convey her to where she was going to. I really felt bad and was ready to burst out when a friend I was going with intervene. So you can see how policemen have become very hungry to the extend that they go out of their jurisdiction just to find a fault and get money from innocent people. Well, you cant blame them as I said ealier, its the total system that is currupt and sick, but Nigeria police is the worst. May Allah cleanse the systm entirely. AMIN.