News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

ANOTHER LEGISLATIVE INSENSITIVITY

Started by Dan-Borno, August 21, 2007, 06:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Borno

Crisis is brewing in the House of Representatives over the award of N628 million contract by Speaker, Patricia Etteh, to renovate her official residence and that of her deputy, Babangida Nguroje.

The renovation contract, which blown open at the weekend, has drawn the ire the chairman of Air Force committee of the House, Hon Halims Agoda, who faulted the mode of its award and vowed that a probe would be instituted.

Angry Agoda said: "I read that the president of the country is aware of the approval of the contract. That is an outright nonsense. The president of a country has no right to approve whatever thing that comes to National Assembly. The President cannot gamble into our pool. What the president normally does is to direct the release of our money, not to get involved in the approval of item by item,"

He said that the Etteh leadership faces a moral burden for using N628milion to renovate a building that was renovated two years ago in an administration that preaches transparency and accountability, adding that the building was owned by the FCDA and not property of the National Assembly.
To salvage the image of the House, Agoda vowed that the award of the contracts would be probed when the House resumes from its holiday, insisting that it was wrong on the part of the leadership to dip hands in the money belonging to the House without due process.

He said: "Some of us will take the gauntlet to fight for the investigation of that publication, because in the first place, using N628 million to renovate a standing house ... even if you are to build a new house, must it consume such a whopping sum of amount?
"I read too that the money was attached to capital votes. Now, I am aware that when we were passing the capital votes, the capital votes of the House of Reps were tied to specific headings and if this money is to be swapped from one heading to another, it must be through virement and no virement whatsoever has been made."

Agoda also faulted the process the contract went through, saying that a contract of such magnitude should be published in journals and not on the notice board of the National Assembly as done by the management.

"It is not a contract of N10miullion. I am deeply surprised that this happened in an era of transparency and accountability. I still believe that it is not correct. We have a moral crisis if the issue is true. We will call for investigation. I have been here. We built this House of Reps with all our efforts and so, nobody will come here and pull it down," he pointed out.

Mrs Etteh presided over a 40 minute meeting of the management of the House on July 12, 2007 to award the contract for the renovation of her official residence and that of her deputy and the purchasing of vehicles in their convoy.
At the meeting with the Speaker and her deputy were the chief whip, deputy leader, chairman of ad-hoc committee on welfare, who is now chairman of appropriation committee, Wale Adegoke, Clerk of the National Assembly, Ibrahim Arab, his deputy, acting clerk of the House, directors of works, legal services, finance and supplies.

By James Ojo
The Sun Newspapers
August 21st, 2007

That was how the last horrible members wasted their
time and poor man's money busy but doing nothing.
When Haruna Yerima raises an alarm that members of
the House of Representatives are nothing more than
the Mr. President's house boys and that MTN is bribing
them by recharging their phones, they suspended him
for one month.

History repeats itself, however, Joel Matsusi reversed
this saying, that We repeat history.  Here they are for
another term of four years, barely 100 days in office
they have started the loots and intrigues in office.

How far do we think we can enjoy legislative performance
in Nigeria after nine years of democracy in Nigeria.

Does this means that our Legislators are nothing but
Mr. Presidents' house boys.

How can we assess the generality of the house of
representatives performance in this 100 days?

"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

waduz

:PWhat do you expect from a new comer into the chambers of honey? The lady must have something to "show" for the new found spoonship (speakersip) Unless Ribadu handscuffs her, the likes of Alamiesiega, Turaki, Kalu and co. would never forgive! Madam, just own up! Na moni!!!!!! ;D

Dan-Borno

House in Rowdy Session
C'ttee to probe alleged contract scam may be set up today
From Stanley Nkwazema in Abuja,
This Day Newspaper

Yesterday was a day of deft moves by the House of Representatives Speaker, Mrs. Patricia Olubunmi Etteh, who is engaged in what seems a battle of her political life.
After a six-week recess, the House reconvened yesterday but adjourned abruptly amidst a rowdy session.
The Speaker said the House would adjourn for a day to commiserate with the family of the late Senate President, Chief Evans Enwerem as the former Chairman of the National Assembly.
But the adjournment was to deflect spirited attacks against her over the controversial N529 million renovation contract which has been rocking the House for sometime now.
Informed sources however said Etteh called for an adjournment to test the waters and draw out the strength of those baying for her blood.
The Speaker may today accede to the request of those calling for a probe of the renovation contract having discovered that those against her are in the minority.
But the modality for setting up the committee remained contentious last night even among the pro-Etteh lawmakers.
THISDAY also gathered that the Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Dr. Ahmadu Ali, and President Umaru Yar'Adua's Special Adviser on National Assembly Matters, Mrs. Florence Ita Giwa, met with Hon. Farouk Lawan, a member of the Integrity Group in the House, which is moving against Etteh, to call for dialogue on the matter.
Before yesterday's proceedings of the House, the Senate President, Senator David Mark, met with the Speaker for more than 45 minutes in her office.
Sources said the meeting between the two leaders centered on how to douse the tension in the lower chambers.
Etteh came into the House chamber at 11.10 am, one hour 10 minutes after the House normal resumption time.
She offered the routine prayers and was about calling for prayers in honour of former Senate President, Enwerem, when she was interrupted.
Members of the Integrity Group had, however, stormed the chambers as early as 8 am.
"Dear Colleagues," Etteh began,"on the 2nd of August, we lost one of our illustrious sons and the former Senate President and Chairman of the National Assembly."
But the shout of "Order 5, Rule 2" rent the air from the floor, while those in favour of the Speaker's position shouted "go ahead," thus stalling the proceedings for over 15 minutes.
In the heat of the rowdy situation, her Deputy, Hon. Babangida Seidu Nguroje, left his seat and walked up to confer with Etteh.
The Sergeant-at-Arms asked his colleagues to guard the mace, which is the symbol of authority of the House, from being taken away by the opposition.
At this stage, the Chief Whip of the House, Hon. Bethel Amadi who represents Mbaitoli Ikeduru Federal constituency of Imo state took over, calling for Order.
After some normalcy returned to the chambers, the Speaker then said, "I want to appeal to our colleagues to give respect to whom it is due."
Hon. Independence Ogun-newe, the son of an Anglican Catechist, then took the floor and delivered a lengthy prayer where he sued for peace and tranquility.
At the end of the prayers, a pin-drop silence descended on the House as all attention was focused on Etteh who then called for adjournment of the House till today to enable members honour Enwerem by suspending business for one day.
When the call for adjournment was put to vote, those in favour were in overwhelming majority.
But Lawan, who is leading the Integrity Group, said after the drama: "Enwerem could die today but he can't die tomorrow. We shall see what will happen tomorrow (today). We will not be discouraged by the gang-up. It is clear. We have several options to fight our case."
However the Chief Whip of the House, Amadi, told THISDAY the opposition was taking politics too far by refusing to pray for the dead.
"It is a parliamentary practice world wide that when a member or former member of the Parliament dies, he must be honoured. Even in war situations, there is a convention that time be allowed to retrieve dead bodies and a truce is called.
"It is degenerating to gutter politics and name calling. We should show respect whenever it is necessary."
Amadi told THISDAY that "the House Leadership is not against probe. What we want is a public probe set up that will allow due process to be followed. The panel has to finish its work and then we can discuss the report. We can then begin to apportion blames. This is just trial by ordeal that they are doing now." 
But Hon. Chiedu Elue-munor who represents Oyi Federal Constituency of Anambra State however said, "We are ready for them. Any system they adopt we shall follow them. Will Enwerem die again? He is dead and they should not bring that to play here. We are insisting that there must be a probe and she must step aside."
In his reaction, the former Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice in Bayelsa State who is the Leader of the Integrity Group, Hon. Henry Seriake Dickson, said in as much as the group wanted a probe, parliamentary procedure must not be thrown to the dogs.
"This is a parliament. We are also Africans. We respect the dead and must be seen to be following the rules. We had to adjourn to honour Enwerem."
The Chairman, House Committee on Media and Publicity, Hon. Eziuche Ubani, who spoke with newsmen at the lobby of the National Assembly after the adjournment also explained that any time the issue of probe of the renovation contract came to the floor of the House; it would be taken on its merit.
He said it was a parliamentary practice to call for an adjournment when such a highly placed former or even presiding officer of the House or Senate died and what happened was not in any way unusual.
But THISDAY however confirmed that the Integrity Group was scheduled to meet again at Protea Apartments, opposite the Apo Legislative Quarters, Abuja where the group is expected to map out strategies for today's plenary.
The session is billed to start by 2 pm.

A Session in the Life of Etteh...
9am: The chamber is opened for members to move in and take their seats. Discussions and group meetings, some members throwing banters and shaking hands. Hon. Mercy Almona Isei and Hon. Lynda Chuba Ikpeazu are the centre of attraction. They move round and consult with members. Lawan sits afar watching movements as he holds court with some members... Tension is high as the waiting for the Speaker continues.
11:13am: Madam Speaker walks in spotting a brown ankara skirt and blouse with marching slippers... She is led into the chambers by the Sergeant at Arms... Members, as a mark of respect, stand but some remain seated while she walks to her seat. She says the House prayers and tension starts with House becoming rowdy. In the heat of the rowdiness, she is calm as she watches members from her seat.
11:20am: Her Deputy, Babangida Nguroje, moves from his front row seat, walks up to the Speaker and confers with her for some minutes. The Whip, Bethel Amadi, takes over the floor... "Order, House, order. Can we be seated please?' At this stage, the Speaker takes the opportunity of what looks like order to call on Hon. Independence Ogunewe  to pray for the repose of the soul of late Evan Enwerem, former Senate President.  After his prayers, the Speaker calls for an adjournment. It is put to vote. Those in support carry the day.
11:45am: Speaker is led out of the chamber to her office. Most members start clapping, while others are rooted to their seats. As she walks out, members of the Integrity Group take to the lobby of the National Assembly and face a barrage of questions from journalists.

"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Dan-Borno

UPDATE ON LEGISLATIVE INSENSITIVITY

Committee Suspends Work On Speaker's Residence

Renovation of the official residences of Speaker Patricia Etteh, and her Deputy, Babangida Nguroje, has been suspended until the probe panel completes its assignment on September 25.

The panel was appointed last Wednesday to investigate the allegation that the House leadership awarded contacts worth N628 million to refurbish the buildings.

Committee Chairman, David Idoko, announced the suspension at a press conference on Monday in Abuja after he and the other members met for about four hours to draw up the programme of action.

Panel members present were Rabe Nasir (PDP), Chinedu Eluemunor (PDP, Anambra), Peter Linus Umoh (PDP, Akwa Ibom), Yakubu Dogara (PDP, Bauchi), Nasiru Mohammed (ANPP), Sani Sale Minjibir (ANPP, Kano), and Habeeb Fashinro (AC, Lagos).

"We try to enunciate the programme of action and ordered that work should stop on the project or contract being executed", Idoko narrated. "This is like our first formal meeting, an introductory meeting. Conclusions were drawn on certain sensitive areas yesterday (Sunday).

"We are all aware of the theatre of conflict. We try to make sure that if we want to look at the things very clearly we must (to) look at the whole picture, and in doing this, we want to be very thorough in our discussions.

"We are going to take off to the Speaker's residence tomorrow (Tuesday) at 12 noon. We believe that, with your assistance, and if we work hard, we will be able to submit (report) on the 25th of September, which is within the time frame that was given to us.

"The committee resolved that parties to the contract should maintain the res until we have concluded this assignment. For the avoidance of doubt, the contracts in question have not been revoked, but work will stop until the ad-hoc committee has concluded its assignment".

The panel would meet today "to finalise discussions, decisions, and the methodology of work, submission of relevant document or materials for the official residence of (Etteh) and (Nguroje) as well as the perusal of the submitted documents written by the Clerk of the National Assembly".

Idoko added that the committee would hold public sittings between September 12 and 14, and would adopt documents submitted between Saturday 16 and 25.

It will recall witnesses on September 17 if there is need for it.

Asked who are being invited and when they will appear, Idoko said: "We will give you the list tomorrow (Tuesday)".

Etteh has consistently maintained that she did not award any contract as it does not fall within the purview of her office. According to her, contract for the renovation and expansion of facilities in the premises of the speaker and her deputy was done by the House management who confirmed individually to her that all the necessary formalities for the award of the contract were duely followed.

Some principal officers of the House who toe the same line of argument also claim that the public is given the wrong impression that the amount involved is just for the renovation of the existing structures, whereas it includes expansion of facilities including provision of a banquette hall for reception of visitors and vital security gadgets.

These facilities, they insist, never existed in the facility and have to be put in place to befit the status of the number four citizen of the country.

The Community Action for Popular Participation (CAPP) is not impressed, and has urged President Umaru Yar'Adua to direct the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to begin their own investigation, "since no law bars them from doing so".

CAPP Deputy Executive Director, Emeka Ononamadu, argued in a statement on Monday that the best way to unfold the truth is for Etteh to resign, in order to ensure due process.

Dan-Borno

Ana wata ga wata.

Haka zasu kare shekarunsu hudu basu yi
wa talakawansu komai ba.  Imagine these
Honourable (Horrible) members fighting and
the whole world watching them. SHAME.

How do i recall back my representative self?

Muhsin

What a shame? Wallahi whenever I think of the happenings there at House of Reps. I feel completely ashamed as I am a Nigerian who always want to protect her honor. Any way no enough time to respond to that but when I get bak....good job Dan-Barno.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

Abin da ya fi bani haushi Dan Borno, wai the ag.clerk had to reject a request fro a 98 million naira  :o body massager.

Did you see the free for all fight they had in hearing room 1 during the commitee's hearing.
Abun kunya.

I believe Etteh should resign.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

HUSNAA

Quote from: gogannaka on September 23, 2007, 10:44:34 PM

Did you see the free for all fight they had in hearing room 1 during the commitee's hearing.
Abun kunya.

Baiwa hammata iska!!  ;D I just LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE that phrase, especially when applied in relation to our honorables in Abuja!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Dan-Borno

See dem figting ooo, figting for our money ooooo.

Dan-Borno

The tragic death of Dr. Aminu Safana is the
epic result of the legislative insensitivity in
Nigerian Democracy - this is the system we
have been clamouring for all this while.

The House of Reps is supposed to be people
with integrity, like the Aminu's a well known
Medical Doctor, we have lawyers, administrators
of repute, highly intellectual university lecturers
and what have you.  However, all did'nt work.

Demicracy is a game of number, i thought the
house has a standing rule on either to support
or oppose - this basic primary assignment they
cannot stand.  How do we expect these people
to argue for the poor.

If I were a member of the house, I am sure I
would have resigned by now, for they are
worst than their predecessors.  More than 100
days without any positive impact.

With this their behaviour - we await more death
in the house.  NEMESIS will catch ya all.

amira

Wo ho ho!!!! this case of Etteh has caused so much problems and tragedies, why cant
this woman just leave and let everyone settle, tazo taci rabonta to ba sai tafi ba... This is sooo shameful, only in nigeria
you see and hear many problems being unsolved, which can be solved its just that people
dont want to hear the truth wannan abin na bani mamaki, Do people think they will be alive for ever???

We've heard or seen Dr safana pass away (May god Forgive him and have mercy upon him Ameen) his wealth nor his family saved him, what did he take with him in the grave nothing apart from himself and his white sheet (Linkafani).
I recall again no cars, monies or houses. So please my fellow nigerians
stop and think about what you are doing remember death is just around the corner it
takes you by suprise not unless you are prepared for it. Make i say again STOP and THINK
and do the best for your country and PEOPLE and seek the good in it. May god guide us all as we are all in need of guidance Ameen.

I aint finished on this i'll be back to continue. DB continue to upload us with fresh info thanks.
*Each day is definately defining me and finding me*

amira

More updates from Daily triumph.

Etteh saga: Nigerians, parliamentarians want lawmakers sacked
Nigerians in South Africa and Parliamentarians attending the Pan African Parliament
(PAP) in Midrand, have condemned the fracas in Nigeria's National Assembly over the
contract award scam.
Most of them who reacted to the saga in an interview with the News Agency of
Nigeria in Midrand, called for the sack of the entire assembly members.
The lawmakers have been locked in a battle over whether or not Speaker
Patricia Etteh should preside over the hearing of the report of the panel that investigated
the N626 million contract for the renovation of her official residence.
While one group insists she must give way for a neutral person, others believe it is okay for
her to preside over the matter, which directly involves her.
The orgy of violence in the House took a different dimension on Wednesday when a member,
Dr. Aminu Safana, slumped during the row and later died.
Abdaulaie Jawal, a parliamentarian from the Gambia, in his reaction said he felt ``
greatly ashamed while watching the news."
``It is totally reprehensible and unacceptable for parliamentarians to behave that way.
``If it was in my country, they all will have lost their mandate and got sacked as members of parliament'',
he told NAN.
Another Parliamentarian, Keletso Rakhude, from South Africa, while condemning the act said it was ``
shameful and barbaric."
``The lawmakers havedescended to the level of street boys in that physical exchange and
should not be allowed to go free,'' he said.
He said that the lawmakers should have taken advantage of one beauty of democracy
that makes room for superior argument and lobbying to sort out differences.
A female parliamentarian from an ECOWAS member state who spoke on condition of anonymity,
advised the Speaker to step aside to allow for proper investigation.
``But whatever their disagreements might be, it is totally unacceptable that members should
descend from that Olympian height and engage in a physical combat,'' she added.
President of the Nigerian Union in South Africa, Mr. Jason Usuanfor, described the situation
as ``unbelievable", saying that Nigerians in South Africa were ``highly embarrassed."
He advised the Speaker to ``honourably step aside'' and allow proper investigation if
she was ``truly patriotic."
In his remark, Mr. Kenneth Ayere, President of Nigerians In Diaspora Organisation (NIDO), said the development only showed the caliber and mentality of people who foist themselves on the electorates.
``It is shameful that while some patriotic Nigerians both at home and abroad struggle daily to contribute to the development of the nation, these elements are trying to ridicule our democracy and rubbish what the Nigeria nation stands for.
``It simply calls to question how these people got elected in the first instance," he said.
``Nigerians should not wait for another casualty before they take action. They should rise up with one voice and sack the entire House,'' he added.             

You see the way other african countries deal with their problems without
letting them drag on and coming to this heated situation.
*Each day is definately defining me and finding me*

hafiz amin umar

What a shame!legislative insensitivity?
  ordinary nigerian living in the street could not afford 3 square meals,yet our so called representatives earmarked millions of naira for renuvation of their official residence,how can we progress in this country!and the worst part of it is that its northerners among the legislators that are backing her,while ALLAH is not a sleeping GOD he will surely judge among us,remember the day we will all be gathered and resurrected before him,who will count us for our dids and iam pretty sure tha justice must prevail that day.keepon with your dirty job,ALLAH WILL SURELY JUDGE YOU!   

MySeLf

Really shame on these greedy leaders.... They don't even learn that billions
and mansion houses save not.
Well I guess Is now time for Ms Patricia Etteh to head for the exit until further notice.
If she still refuses then she should be sack....
I don't even know why they haven't done that since..... Hhm!
She really has couse lot of pain and anger.
!!!........................I STAND 4 ISLAM..........................!!!

Dan-Borno

Ki bari kawai myself, the funny thing is that
there are two factions in the house, as ffls
The Pro-Ete and the Eteh Must go groups
unfurtunately, Late Safana falls on the Pro
Eteh.  His death now cast a new light to his
group, when they understand that Eteh doesnt
even care about the death of her supporter,
they are now trying to turn her upside down.
However, before now, they have given her all
the necessary tools to equip herself, so it will
be a very difficult case to topple Ete -