News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Northern states to generate own power

Started by Muhsin, August 31, 2007, 10:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhsin

Daily Trust Newspaper

The 19 Northern states are to pool resources together to generate their own power in order to address its acute shortage in the region, the Northern Governors Forum decided yesterday.
The governors also agreed to work together to forge a common security network in order to arrest the rising crime rate in the region.

The communiqué was issued at the end of the governors' first meeting since the April elections, which took place in Kaduna, and had in attendance 14 governors, 4 deputies and one representative from Kwara state. It also noted the precarious financial state of the New Nigerian Newspapers (NNN), which the forum attributed to the huge liabilities amassed by the company while it was under Federal Government ownership in 1972-2006. They agreed to approach the federal government to find ways of underwriting the company's liabilities.

The communiqué was read by the forum's new chairman Governor of Niger State Dr. Muazu Babangida Aliyu. It urged UNICEF to work closely with all the state and local governments to realize the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) on health, girl child education and girl rights protection.

Earlier, Governor Baban-gida Aliyu, in his opening remarks, called for serious exchange of ideas among Northern governors in order to tackle the North's common problems of endemic poverty, diseases, collapsed infras-tructure and poor standard of education.

He also drew attention to the effect of desert encroach-ment and flooding as well as the region's weak economic base, brought about by the harsh effects of some federal economic programmes. He also asked the governors to ponder on the reasons why the North has not achieved any meaningful progress despite its over three decades of being at the helm of affairs in the country.

Dr. Aliyu advised them to prove to their people that their leadership will be part of the solution and not of the problems that have for long plagued the North, while cautioning the governors to learn lessons from the travails of some their predecessors. "We are assuming the leadership of our various states at a time of very wide gaps between our people's expectation and the delivery of services by most of our predecessors. I do believe that the fate of some of our predecessors will remind us of the need to see our position as an opportunity to serve and not for executive recklessness and excesses", he said.

The Niger governor also said, "Again it should be emphasized here that the essence of political leadership is to get the policies right for the overall development of many, not just a few."

Aliyu, who took over the forum's chairmanship from Nasarawa State governor Alhaji Aliyu Doma, charged the governors to believe in the unity of the North that needs concerted effort to salvage it from economic deprivation and social decadence.

He added, "The North needs economic emancipation and conscious policies to create wealth. How do we therefore transcend the sentiments and nostalgia of the old and translate them into actionable issues for the benefit of our people?" He particularly listed poverty and education as grey areas that the northern governors need to concentrate on, advising them to develop a comprehensive common Northern poverty alleviation policy, instead of the haphazard and random way it has been fashioned which he said, has no impact on the people of the North. He also painted a gloomy picture of the educational situation in the north, saying that it is now characterized by collapsed infrastructure, inadequate facilities, shortage of qualified facilities, ill-motivated workforce, and a curriculum unmatched with the needs of industries and the society. The North is 20 years behind the southern states in the area of education and 50 years behind some other developing countries, he said.

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
This is a welcome development not only to the North but to the entire Cuntry.
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

waduz

We expect more than that since yaradua has taken over the Presidency. Unless ofcourse if he is not a patriotic northerner, notana?

sheriff 05

Very good development, as it would help the entire country and ease the strain on the national grid...For the north it is crucial as our industries are in desperate need for power to resurrect themselves. If that is all they can achieve in the next four years, it would still be a magnificient feat. Allah ya taimake su...

Slight correction Alhaji Waduz, it's an initiative of the northern governors not that of the president so you cant use that to ascertain whether or not he is a patriotic northerner, we're still waiting to see in that regard.... However, I hope for the intrest of this country, he doesnt prove to be sentimental and hang as merely a patriotic northerner but go all out and stand as a patriotic Nigerian, showing every one from all parts of the country, irrespective of tribe or religion, that he can stand for honesty, integrity, truth, justice, fairness and be of benefit to all.. afterall isnt that what being a true northerner is all about?.. 

Muhsin

Quote from: sheriff 05 on September 04, 2007, 06:58:30 AM
afterall isnt that what being a true northerner is all about?.. 

True sheriff 05. I too think or this has nothing to do with his being true, bad or whatsoever northerner. That is a job which these Govners could have done it since last regime of OBJ. So, your statement waduz that says
Quote from: waduz on September 03, 2007, 03:07:57 PM
We expect more than that since yaradua has taken over the Presidency. Unless ofcourse if he is not a patriotic northerner, notana?
isn't along the line at least in this regard.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

hafiz amin umar

AssALAM ALAIKUM,
                              MUHSIN,the issue of power failure in nigeria,has been on right from time immemorial,we have witness alot of power shortage for several years.Its going to be a wellcome development if the present administration will provide availability of power supply in nigeria.Although most of the states in nigeria are now using turbines for generating electricity,northers governors should also come out with a solutions to address the problem of the power sector in their region,untill recently bayelsa states is the oly states in nigeria that has not been connected to the national grid,but even then the issue of power supply there can not be compared to that of the norther states.
                               With the recent declaration of a state of emmergency in the power sector by yaradua led administration,we hope the situation will be brought under control,all hands must be on desk to ensure that power supply is available and efficient in each and every corner of nigeria,we must commend his courageous effort in tackling corruption,reviving the economy and by declaring a state of emmergency in a power sector,KUDUS TO HIS EXCELLENCY 2 THUMB UP FOR A GENTLE MAN!

Janwuya

gogannaka

I hope they are serious about it because the last time they had a meeting they said the NNDC was going to form an oil company that would explore crude on the chad basin and till now nothing has been said abt it.

I don't want to be pessimistic but it seems that in reality no northern state is really keen on generating it's own power.
With the constant power failure in the country i wonder why it is taking them forever to build their own power plants.

Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Muhsin

Quote from: gogannaka on September 11, 2007, 02:50:12 PM
I don't want to be pessimistic but it seems that in reality no northern state is really keen on generating it's own power.

This is not a pessimistic thought but a conventional one. Almost everyone has this bahind his mind. Yet, we are hopeful and praying for Allah to help them and us see this project done in reality and on the ground.
Quote from: hafiz amin umar on September 05, 2007, 12:36:15 PM
AssALAM ALAIKUM,
                              MUHSIN,the issue of power failure in nigeria,has been on right from time immemorial,we have witness alot of power shortage for several years.Its going to be a wellcome development if the present administration will provide availability of power supply in nigeria.Although most of the states in nigeria are now using turbines for generating electricity,northers governors should also come out with a solutions to address the problem of the power sector in their region,untill recently bayelsa states is the oly states in nigeria that has not been connected to the national grid,but even then the issue of power supply there can not be compared to that of the norther states.
                               With the recent declaration of a state of emmergency in the power sector by yaradua led administration,we hope the situation will be brought under control,all hands must be on desk to ensure that power supply is available and efficient in each and every corner of nigeria,we must commend his courageous effort in tackling corruption,reviving the economy and by declaring a state of emmergency in a power sector,KUDUS TO HIS EXCELLENCY 2 THUMB UP FOR A GENTLE MAN!

You too Mal. Hafiz, never loose hope.

Janwuya

Allah Ya sa....ai an shamu ne, we don't know what to believe anymore. Hope they are serious. Who knows? May be our epileptic power supply days are numbered.

gogannaka

Amin Jan wuya.

Just recently the Kano state Govt signed an agreement with Dangote group and a Norwegian Company fro the Kano IPP (Independent Power Plant) project.
According to the report the state's major industrial zones will be connected to the new power plant in 6 months time (i.e March 2008).
though the details of the project were not outlined.

I pray the project becomes a successful one.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

amira

Ameen GGNK, lets hope and pray that this does happen
its about time we get some power with at least an adequate
supply of electricity instead of relying on gens which relies on petrol
and that ofcourse we know how the price is always increasing coming
to ridiculous numbers.
*Each day is definately defining me and finding me*

Muhsin

Quote from: gogannaka on September 23, 2007, 10:03:40 PM
Amin Jan wuya.

Just recently the Kano state Govt signed an agreement with Dangote group and a Norwegian Company fro the Kano IPP (Independent Power Plant) project.
According to the report the state's major industrial zones will be connected to the new power plant in 6 months time (i.e March 2008).
though the details of the project were not outlined.

I pray the project becomes a successful one.

Living in Kano. But I had never heard of this development report. Lets start praying for the execution of the project--Amin.
Quote from: amira on September 24, 2007, 02:19:32 PM
Ameen GGNK, lets hope and pray that this does happen
its about time we get some power with at least an adequate
supply of electricity instead of relying on gens which relies on petrol
and that of course we know how the price is always increasing coming
to ridiculous numbers.

Hajiya Amira, let me tell you something; not every body can afford to buy a generator, talk less of how to fuel it duly daily without confronting difficulties.

Al-Nazeer

I dont beleived what the Governors had said. We have to pray for God intervention in power sector. Remember what happen to Bank of the North when the Governor promise to invest. What happen at last. Be wise please.
Na gode
Mohammed Nazeer Dayyabu Kazaure
kazaure1@yahoo.com
The hard way the only way