News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

NOTICE TO SEEK LEGAL REDRESS OVER N250B DEBT INCURRED BY TURAKI IN JIGAWA

Started by Nuruddeen, September 29, 2007, 12:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuruddeen

NOTICE OF INTENTION TO SEEK REDRESS OVER N250BILLION DEBT INCURRED BY TURAKI ADMINISTRATION IN JIGAWA STATE

BY

CONCERNED PROFESSIONAL INDIGENES OF JIGAWA STATE

We the concerned professional indigenes of Jigawa State hereby give notice of our intention to seek legal redress over the alleged N250 billion debt incurred by the Governor Saminu Turaki Administration.

We believe it is our legitimate right to follow due legal process in order to recover the money, which was questionably borrowed and recklessly misappropriated on shoddy projects that are of little signifance to the lives of the people of Jigawa State.

It is acknowledged by well-meaning Nigerians that it is terribly outrageous for a small state like Jigawa, which cannot boast of any development worth N100 billion between 1999-2007, to incur  such a debt burden.

Indeed, the shady deals between the past administration and certain banks, which are now unfolding in the state is a subject of worry to us. The Daily Trust, in its editorial of 3rd July 2007 , expressed its dismay over the unwholesome transaction that took place between the former top echelon and a certain bank in the state. The paper stated thus:

"...A well-meaning financial institution which had potentially demonstrated its readiness to partner with Jigawa State government to bring democratic dividends to the people of Jigawa, is now being repaid by bad faith and ingratitude of an unconscionable Governor Saminu Turaki".

We are therefore baffled by the pronouncement of Governor Sule Lamido that his administration would not probe the affairs of the former administration thereby maliciously neglecting the issue of public funds and trust.  We are of the view that the entire people of the State including the working and non-working classes have been cheated and they reserve the right to seek legal redress on the debt issue.

We are therefore obliged to seek legal redress in court based on the following reasons:

i.          That the N250 billion debt was not judiciously utilized for the    benefit    of   the people of Jigawa State .
ii.          Whether the present administration has the discretion to unilaterally determine the fate of over four (4) million people with respect to the debt incurred by the past administration by refusing to probe it.
iii.         Whether the doctrine of "privity of contract" extends beyond the terms agreed by parties to it.
iv.         Whether there is "perpetual succession" between the past and present administration with respect to the N250 billion debt since many banks and individuals are constantly unfolding claims that are as yet ascertainable that the debt is only N250 billion. Not even the present governor can say what the exact sum is. (Please refer to Paragraph 6 & 7 of the annexure "X". Why the conflict as to which of N29 billion, N240 billion, N250 billion is the exact sum?
v.         Whether the sum of N500 billion expended by Turaki administration as contained in annexure "X" will be accounted for since the sum is one of the highest expenditures by any State government, and Jigawa State from the recent UNDP and Central Bank report, is ranked as the least developed State in the country.
vi.         Whether the ICPC is still lackadaisical in bringing those involved to book despite public acknowledgment and anecdotal evidence that the past administration had incompetently handle the State's finances.

We hereby give 14 days notice to the present administration of Jigawa State to come up with a strategy to recover the above stated funds or we will be left with no option than to seek legal redress in the court of law.

Prof. Sabo Bako                                                                   Jibo Nura
Chairman, concerned professional indigenes,                  Secretary, concerned Jigawa State                                                          professional indigenes
                                                                           Jigawa State

CC:

•           Governor  Jigawa State
•           Deputy Governor Jigawa State
•           Secretary to Jigawa State Government
•           Chief Judge, Jigawa State
•           Senate President
•           EFCC
•           Commissioner of Police
•           ICPC
•           Jigawa State House of Assembly
•           PDP National Secretariat
•           Attorney General of the Federation
•           Inspector General of Police

o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

mlbash

well, that's really impressive Mr Jibo, but i'm a little puzzled about your figure, formally the Turaki administration announced 28.5 BN at the handing over ceremony to this admin. later it was alledge it was 134BN. Now i reall wonder what the figure is.
Good luck my friend and Allah's guidance.
t is my intention to make the neglected aspect of our societies viable

Nuruddeen

Quote from: mlbash on September 30, 2007, 02:15:03 PM
well, that's really impressive Mr Jibo, but i'm a little puzzled about your figure, formally the Turaki administration announced 28.5 BN at the handing over ceremony to this admin. later it was alledge it was 134BN. Now i reall wonder what the figure is.
Good luck my friend and Allah's guidance.

Mlbash, you do not need to get puzzled about the figure. Initially Turaki told us that he left N28b debt. The transition committee report showed N137b and another independent investigation committee by Lamido arrived at N240b. And Lamido said that the amount owed to Jigawa is about N250b plus outstanding liabilities. From Turaki's inception to date, he spent N500b in Jigwa, which people like you and I cannot see where it's spent. So we are taking it up on this my brother.
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).