Author Topic: Are We Patriotic?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Muhsin

• Ikraa bismi Rabbikal lazii khalaq
    • View Profile
    • The Learner
Are We Patriotic?
« on: November 19, 2007, 01:21:11 PM »
This was the subject of discussion in one preceded BBC’s Africa Have Your Say program. It straightaway come to me that the subject has direct and exact relation to what we are doing in this forum and perhaps other forums.

The debate was a result of Malawian president‘s declaration that his country’s diasporas who have blogs and discussion forums like Kanoonline on internet are unpatriotic because the are, most of the times, on bedrock of criticizing his government while they too fail the country and have even flown from it. Yet again they come in public arena…What do you think we people are doing? Are we being patriotic or otherwise?

NB;
The thread is much longer than this but due to time factor I grudgingly reduced it like this. Wish and hope am well expressed. Thanks for your kind understanding.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 04:33:32 PM by Muhsin »
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Offline HUSNAA

• Life's but the blink of an eye:spend it gratefully
    • View Profile
Re: Are We Patriotic?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 04:18:24 PM »
Salaam Muhsin
I was beginning to think where you'd disappeared to. It was just a matter of time before i voice a concern. Now I see that u are around. Yaya Jarrabawa? Allah Ya bada sa'a  ameen ;D
This is a great topic and a thought provoking one too. Kudos for initiating it. Are we patriotic? it depends really. I think we are not, and it is not our fault that we are not. Everything is a give and take. If the country gives u ur due, u give her back her due. Unfortunately she doesnt so we dont.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Offline Anas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 03:39:48 PM »
What do you think we people are doing? Are we being patriotic or otherwise?

Been patriotic i think is to be loyal and love our dear nation. I think we do.

Yeah! we are patriotic. this is our possible place we can afford to express our concern and love to our country.
Such is Allah your Rabb, His is the creation and...

Offline Muhsin

• View Profile
    • The Learner
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 04:40:06 PM »
Salaam Muhsin
I was beginning to think where you'd disappeared to. It was just a matter of time before i voice a concern. Now I see that u are around. Yaya Jarrabawa? Allah Ya bada sa'a  ameen ;D
This is a great topic and a thought provoking one too. Kudos for initiating it. Are we patriotic? it depends really. I think we are not, and it is not our fault that we are not. Everything is a give and take. If the country gives u ur due, u give her back her due. Unfortunately she doesnt so we dont.

Ameen wa'alaiki salam Aunty Husnaa,

I've been right in the city and school. And exam's been very nice, alhamdulillah. We are gonna sit for the last one tomorrow at 8:00am, insha Allah.

And to your reply, why are we not patriotic? And why won't we be?

As almost always, my time is getting end and I'm forced to leave the system. I can't do anything but to obey. Till next time.

Nagode
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Offline HUSNAA

• Life's but the blink of an eye:spend it gratefully
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 03:11:59 PM »
lol we are not patriotic of course.. do u get dewy eyed when u hear the national anthem? Do u stand to attention everytime the anthem is played? can u mouth off the national pledge? can u recite the words of the anthem? no no no? so how patriotic are u?
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Offline Bee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 03:51:41 PM »
Salam
       I think this is a two way thing depending on which side you view it.One does not have to learn to say the national anthem,national pledge or come to attention when one hears it to be called patiotic.It is all in the heart.It depends on what you are ready to give or do for your country.If it means fighting a corrupt government to make the country a better place to be,one will carry that out by all possible means and that includes being  heard and in this our country,it seems the easiest way you can actually speak out and be heard is by using discussion forums like this one.If you fight a corrupt government this way for the sake of your country,i will say your are patriotic but if you fight a good governmnet in any way,then you are certainly not.Amma fa there are some people that no matter how much the goverenment tries to be good,they will always go agianst it.these type of pople are not patriotic.
Born To Bee Great

Offline Bajoga

• Assalamu Alaikum........!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 05:40:51 PM »
lol we are not patriotic of course.. do u get dewy eyed when u hear the national anthem? Do u stand to attention everytime the anthem is played? can u mouth off the national pledge? can u recite the words of the anthem? no no no? so how patriotic are u?

Yes Aunty!!

Gaskiya we are not as you said, sai dai muce a zuci ne abin yake.

HASBUNALLAHI............

Offline Muhsin

• View Profile
    • The Learner
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 12:32:31 PM »

Yes Aunty!!

Gaskiya we are not as you said, sai dai muce a zuci ne abin yake.

Malam Bajoga, even Aunty herself am not with her at that juncture why because she hasn't yet given a plain justification of her claim. What's yours?

Well, I too, as the author of the thread am not on a position of saying that we are patriotic or not rather asking either we are or not. I don't know so wanna know. But to be precise, what Miss Bee has had said before your post really impress me. She so far so good bring fourth a very good but short clarifications upon her claim that we people are patriotic. But she too slightly miss it because she hasn't refer it to doing it in public arena, as he (Malawian president) and also I said.