News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

What are you reading today?

Started by Muhsin, December 06, 2007, 10:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ummutameem

@DB, thank u, i appreciate.

im reading sandra brown's 'the alibi'

gogannaka

Har kin gama 'kill the messenger' din?

Muhsin should open a summary thread so that those that read the books can summarise to those that want the stories.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Dan-Borno

are you opposing me sending a summary to inbox?
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Muhsin

Quote from: gogannaka on May 20, 2010, 03:53:24 PM
Muhsin should open a summary thread so that those that read the books can summarise to those that want the stories.

That is unnecessary, Gogannaka; for this thread as well gives one every chance to tell members of the interesting things he/she encounters while reading his/her book.

Quote from: Dan-Borno on May 20, 2010, 05:16:25 PM
are you opposing me sending a summary to inbox?

I oppose it, too. Other members, as well, would want to read the book's summary.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

ummutameem

hey hey, if u are really interested in DB's book, all u need to do is ask, like i did, n its only logical dat he is sending it to me, but if u all want it y not, DB do share wit all pls, it may giv smthing to talk about for a while.

@ggnk, na gama n im half way thru this one, i really need to read dat my fiqh book after this.

gogannaka

I may have been misinterpreted.
I wanted a thread open for book summaries for those of us that may not have the time to read.
Something like the 'on the couch' thread in chit-chat.
Idan littafi yayi dadi sai mutum ya nema ya karanta.

ummutameem

got u.

can we do that here? i think if we do it here, d thread ll have a better chance of surviving than starting a new one afresh. we can kill two birds wit one stone.

gogannaka

Agreed.
Carry on.

I'm still reading Imam Bukhari's biography.
Very slow.
Like one page per day.

ummutameem

u ll get there, slowly, i remember when i was reading bill clinton's book, my life? cant even remember d title now, d giant book, i just  dumped it in my office n read on slow days, i still havent finished it,

still on d alibi, its dragging, hope to finish lata tonight

Muhsin

Quote from: ummutameem on May 21, 2010, 10:55:29 AM
got u.

can we do that here? i think if we do it here, d thread ll have a better chance of surviving than starting a new one afresh. we can kill two birds wit one stone.

Good observation, UmmuT. I might say more tomorrow, inshaAllah.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

ummutameem

nothing today, suprising, ll pick up something later n let u know.

Muhsin

@UmmuT,

Lol ;D Must you be reading something everyday? I wish I thought that way, too. Though I read everything that comes my way...

I, for example, haven't been reading any novel. I tried to start reading that Mario Puzo's The Family, which you generously sent to me, but due to this and that I cannot. But will soon, inshaAllah, read it.

ummutameem

@ muhsin, its funny but im always reading, its so bad now dat i cant get daily trust everyday, i read thisday(it used to be too academic for me) it still is actually, but for lack of d usual, i read it from cover to cover!

when u r not busy try d mario puzo again, i think its slow at d begining? i cant remember, though i think i read it twice.

i am reading '500 questions and answers on islamic jurispruence'

Muhsin

Ummutameem,

I'll soon start it (The Family), inshaAllah. Although I today "bought" one novel by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche titled Purple Hibiscus. I think I'll start reading the latter.

Have you ever read Adiche's novel? Her works, as say many people and almost see myself, have been undeservedly hyped. Hence I have been for long wanting to read her; only today I got luck and "bought" one.

BTW, how can't you get Daily Trust? And how is Thisday academic? I can recall when I read the latter newspaper, while I everyday read the former. It's our pride and we should be proud of it.

Again, that book you are reading must be very informative and educative. Enjoy your reading. :)

ummutameem

if u have purple hibiscus forget mario puzo for now. chimamanda adiche is in a league of her own, n dats not an exaggeration, ive read 2 of ha books d one u have n the other side of a yellow sun, both fantastic. she has a new one now, ll buy it soon IA. she has been in d papers a lot lately, literary stuff. she is good, u ll tell me after reading ha book.

we dont get daily trust til d next day, it comes from d north so it does not get here early, n d vendors arent patient, my vendor usually gets it a day late for me, if im lucky, he hasnt brought it since last wk.

u dont think thisday is academic? pls, each story is like 50000 words!!!!!!!!!! if i want dat much analysis ll just buy a text book n read. i dont know how people enjoy it, my fav part is d back page!

d book im reading is really good! i think ill start dat summary we discussed earlier.