News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

PUBLIC HEARING ON FCT ADMINISTRATION - MATTERS ARISING

Started by Dan-Borno, April 22, 2008, 07:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Borno

Since Monday this week, i took my time to watch the
Live transmission by AIT of the on-going public hearing
on the FCT administration.  Among other things i observed
under critical and thorough inquiry are the series of
revocations and demolishing of building within and around
the context of FCT and the sales of public property by
the BPE.

Though a welcome development, but it came at a very
wrong timing and handled by the wrong people.  The
Chairman of the Committee (Sodangi if i am not mistaken)
has been a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, so
also other members of the Committee and one way or the
other are eye witnesses to what transpired during that
period but could not raise an eyebrow simple on the reason
that both the presidency and the leadership of the N.A
are from the giant party in Africa (so they burst).

El-Rufai is at the centre of all the controversy, so also some
Directors at the FCDA who have one way or the other
implemented the directives of their superior (Minister) who
has been the alpha and omega in FCDA.

What I observed also is that, no matter what they will
uncover from their inquiry, it will not hold water.  For example,
a Director was under serious interrogation as to why the
guest houses of the then Vice President was sold to the former
Minister El-Rufai and two other top notches of the Obasanjo
kitchen cabinets despite their is a guideline at their disposal
which states that these categories of houses will not be
sold.  A simple answer given by the Director shuts the mouth
of everyone on the high table, he told the high table that
he is aware of what the guideline says, however, the then
President directed the sales and when the present President
assumed office he ratified and confirm the directives of his
predecessor and there are documents to back him.

So, for me, its another form of wasting public money on things
that are not necessary and will not yield any positive result
nor deter either the politicians nor the public servant from
diverting public funds/property into their personal use.

I am calling for the immediate dissolution of this kangaroo
committee, let the Distinguished Senators go back to the
Chambers and start initiating strict laws that will prevent
public officers and politicians from looting this country.

What have we achieved from Oputa Panel?????????????????
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Muhsin

El-Rufai testifies today     
Written by Theophilus Abbah     
Wednesday, 30 April 2008 
Daily Trust Newspaper

The former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Malam Nasir el-Rufai, will today storm the hearing room of the Senate Committee on the FCT to defend himself against allegations bordering on abuse of office.

When Daily Trust called on el-Rufai, he was seen working on documents in a hotel room for his presentation today.

He told Daily Trust that "luckily for me, I have scanned copies of every document I signed while I was minister."

"I have saved everything in my folder on the internet, so even if my house is burnt down today, I can still access these documents. It was as if I knew this was coming," remarked the former minister, who cut short his studies for a law degree in the United States to prepare his defence before the Senate.

In a public hearing by the Senate Committee on the FCT, many FCT officials and aggrieved parties levelled allegations of abuse of office, nepotism and fraud against the former minister who served under former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

El-Rufai has been accused of revoking plots allocated to institutions and individuals in the country and re-allocating them to his family members including his wife.

He was also accused of disobeying court orders to halt acts of demolition or eviction.

His appointment to appear before the committee today is the fourth in the last two week, none of which held.

But el-Rufai said he cannot wait to tell Nigerians the truth about his administration, saying every action he took as FCT minister was based on "policies, rules and logic."

El-Rufai did not, however, deny allocating plots of lands to his wife, friends, family members and his colleagues in the erstwhile administration, saying that there was no law barring him from allocating those plots to his friends and family members because those involved are Nigerians who are of age and qualified for land allocations.

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

All these public hearing tantamounts to nothing.
In the end no one will be prosecuted.Its just like the oputa panel.Just drama.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

kitkat

But at least they expose some of the more sanctimonious members of the obasanjo cabinet for who they really are, Common crooks who only differ from their seemingly corrupt counter parts in modus operandi. They were smarter, better educated and had pedigree but they apparently only channeled these virtues into covering up their tracks and beclouding issues with holier than though sermons. They didnt "allow us hear word" in those days with their BS about reforms and transparency and how past leaders looted the nation dry. it was all about world bank this and harvard that! ashe shegu duk barayi ne kawai, feathering their nests and giving us self righteous and arrogant sermons.

I personally wasnt impressed by El Rufais performance, it was a total let down, and like I said even if its to shatter the myth they created around themselves using the mainstream media, it was worth it.

Muhsin

Quote from: kitkat on May 18, 2008, 08:08:38 PM
But at least they expose some of the more sanctimonious members of the obasanjo cabinet ...

I personally think 'exposing' the evil deeds of these ppl should more rightly be left as closed secret, concealed I mean. Why. Kara mana bakin ciki kawai hakan zai yi because there is nothing we can do. And prayer for bliss is dama our only weapon we've been using. Nasan kuma ba za'a daina ba har beautiful ones are born.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.