News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

GROWING RATE OF DIVORCE IN KANO

Started by abeeda, February 19, 2008, 03:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhsin

Quote from: HUSNAA on April 02, 2016, 10:19:33 AM
Quote from: Danborno on March 31, 2016, 06:13:07 AM
Marriage and Divorce in Kano and by extension the entire area.

Kwankwaso broke the jinx and married off hundreds of divorcees but has Government at various northern States adopted a lasting solution to these growing number of divorce?
I wonder how many of those married off by KWankwaso are still together? That would be the litmus test of the success of that marriage project. Maybe Ill get my sister to look into this. She works at social welfare kano. Or if anyone is cahoots with Daurawa,  can he get us feedback?

I don't have any data, but I am sure many are still together with their husbands. There are set down rules before the marriage is nullified. I think they are hard to violate for the penalty of so doing.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Fateez

Quote from: HUSNAA on April 02, 2016, 10:19:33 AM
Quote from: Danborno on March 31, 2016, 06:13:07 AM
Marriage and Divorce in Kano and by extension the entire area.

Kwankwaso broke the jinx and married off hundreds of divorcees but has Government at various northern States adopted a lasting solution to these growing number of divorce?
I wonder how many of those married off by KWankwaso are still together? That would be the litmus test of the success of that marriage project. Maybe Ill get my sister to look into this. She works at social welfare kano. Or if anyone is cahoots with Daurawa,  can he get us feedback?

I'm also curious. I hope they're keeping track and documenting, if for nothing, then for the sake of anthropology.

I'm actually not a fan of the 'marrying off divorcees' trend that the northern state governors seem to be so keen on for several reasons.

For starters, it sends the wrong signal to young women.

I understand where the states are coming from, however by assuming that a woman has to be 100%

dependent on a man to have a 'good' life, we are promoting a population of young women that will

become intellectually lazy because hey 'I just have to find a man to marry me and I'll be comfortable.'

This is harmful for literacy among women because instead of these girls to go school or develop a skill,

they'd rather focus on finding a ready made husband that can afford them the kind of luxury they dream

of. They'd jump from man to man looking for wealth, hereby undermining education and the very institute

of marriage.

Marrying off divorcees is just putting a bandage on a deep, deep infected wound. You're only making

poverty worse by teaching women to be codependent. If you empower these women and teach them to

fend for themselves (I mean REAL empowerment through job opportunities and skills acquisition and not

buying them keken dinky and injin Niqa!), then you have alleviated poverty for a whole generation.

As the saying goes; give the man a fish and you feed him for a day. But teach the man to fish and you

feed him for a lifetime.

My other issue is that these men are getting the wives for next to nothing!

One major reasons why divorce is so rampant is because getting married in the north is so easy! That's

what promotes the auri-saki mentality. Ask an Igbo man or an Okrika man what it takes to marry a woman

where they're from and you'll understand why people from these cultures cherish matrimony.

I'm not against a state run matchmaking service, in fact it has worked for many societies in the developed

world. I have a problem with it being used as a poverty alleviation program because I feel it undermines

marriage and there are better ways to empower women.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain