News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

GROWING RATE OF DIVORCE IN KANO

Started by abeeda, February 19, 2008, 03:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUSNAA

ETML Ka rubuta wa Ado Saleh Kankiya na BBC wasika ka tambaye shi ka sha labari. Ai nima daga BBC nake jin news din. Kuma in har BBC za ta bai wa labari air time ba sau daya ba ba sau biyu ba, to lallai akwai walakin goro amiya. Kwanakin baya da sika tashi bada rahoto na musamman ai katsinan sika dirar wa sika ba da labarin. Kuma ba tun yau ba nake jin labarin sace sacen mutane a katsina. har ta kai ma wai mutane ba sa kwanan waje. Kuma an bada labarin wata yarin yar da ta fita talla sai kan ta a ka samo bayan kwana da wuni, baban ta yana gani ya suma a wurin. Da suka tashi bin sawun labarin sun sake ziyartar sa. Kuma wata mata ma musamman wani mai satar ya shiga gidan ta da dare kamar barawan kirki wai sai ta bashi yar ta karama.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

EMTL

Quote from: HUSNAA on November 19, 2008, 06:33:13 PM
ETML Ka rubuta wa Ado Saleh Kankiya na BBC wasika ka tambaye shi ka sha labari. Ai nima daga BBC nake jin news din. Kuma in har BBC za ta bai wa labari air time ba sau daya ba ba sau biyu ba, to lallai akwai walakin goro amiya.

Assalamu alaikum,
Anty HUSNA kin san cewa Hadejewa sun yi yawa a BBC, dayansu abokina ne kuma yaron katsinawa kullum biki yake yi mana mu kuwa muna mashi hidima. Don Manzon Allah (SWT) yayi bayanin cewa- shugabanni su suke wa na kasa dasu hidima. Kar ki biye abinda Bahadeje ya fada game da Uwayen gidansa Katsinawa. Allah (SWT) ya shiryemu duka.
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

Dan-Borno

Oya Engineer, jiya nayi mafarki you dey for india
tell me about the growing rate of divorce in india
compared to the situation in northern nigeria -
after all na the woman dey pay dowry, who go
divorce who?
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
For the stats i need to visit the statistics office india. i asked a friend about who pays dowry and who divorces- he didnt understand and kept asking me if i have seen any body that impresses me around and having some kind of ideas- I tried to explain that am not From Hadeja or Bidda...
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,

Before the Kano divorcees' street protest       
Written by Is'haq Modibbo Kawu     
Thursday, 22 January 2009 

In 1995, I made a package for the BBC's NETWORK AFRICA program on the problem of divorce in Kano. As part of my research, I spoke with intellectuals at Bayero University and had the epiphany that many women in Kano actually visited with Malams who also double as marriage consultants of a sort. I interviewed one somewhere off Zoo Road in the Hausawa Quarters of the city and was surprised that one of his clients was the wife of a leading political figure in Kano at the time. I knew the lady in question as a post graduate student at BUK. It was obvious to me, that there was a serious problem with matrimony in Kano, with its very high divorce rate!

The 1995 episode came to my mind, when I read the report in SUNDAY TRUST of January 11, 2009, that Kano's divorcees were planning a mass street protest by the end of this month. The plan was attributed to Hajiya Attine Abdullahi, who was described as the Executive Director of the little known National Association of Divorcees, Widows and the Orphans of Nigeria, to highlight the growing divorce rate and "insufficient husbands in Kano (that is a very serious matter!)". Hajiya Attine promised a "one million divorcee" march and promises that it will be "the biggest in the history of Nigeria"! And what a sight that would be on the Sharia-compliant streets of Kano!

Hajiya Attine's Association had addressed the press at the end of an emergency meeting, prompted among other reasons, by the incidences of divorce that have become "a growing social problem bedeviling the communities of Kano State"; and the fact that the Kano State House of Assembly has been unable to redeem a three year old pledge to initiate laws against the menace. The divorcees' association wants the one million person street manifestation "to protest against the outrageous number of divorcees currently sent out of their matrimonial homes and of which no one is doing anything". And if they have forgotten, Hajiya Attine reminded the responsible officials of state, that society faces "a serious social problem that has the capacity to impact negatively on the social fabric of any society that has chosen to neglect it".

Furthermore, Hajiya Attine underlined the raison for the anger of members of the National Association of Divorcees, Widows and the Orphans of Nigeria: neglect. "It is this seemingly neglect (SIC) that we will come out to protest and we hope the rally will equally create awareness on the plight of these mothers as well as draw the attention of the community to this serious social problem that is not viewed with the seriousness it deserves". The divorcees are unhappy that their developmental roles in society are not adequately recognized and the rally will raise such awareness amongst the leadership of the state. But they also have a message for the offending husbands as well. "We hope (to)... also draw the attention of our husbands who should know one million divorcees that will be on the street on that day are their failure for keeping their home fronts"! This is a naming and shaming exercise of a very novel type in Nigeria in general, and Kano in particular!

But if any reader thinks that this is a freak issue on the margins of a deformed democracy, you better think again, because our reporter said that last year, a committee of the state government in Kano, comprising of NGOs (was the National Association of Divorcees included?), the Ministry of Women Affairs and even Adaidaita Sahu (the morality enforcer in Kano) came out with a report which said that over 80% of Kano marriages were "unstable"! Again, that is very worrisome. The committee attributed the problem to the absence of sincerity during courtship; ignorance about the religious status of the marriage institution; economic down turn; working women phenomenon (whatever that meant!) and materialism in marriage! The truth is that marriages are endangered in Kano and it threatens the fabric of the family. I know a leading son of Northern Nigeria, who will not to allow his daughters to marry men from Kano, because he said they mistreat their wives and rush to divorce them!

It is clear that we must think through this problem of divorce and find ways to help stem them. We cannot build a stable community on the very slippery foundation of divorce; children must have the stable ambience to grow in order to reproduce the future of our culture. In this construction of societal continuity, men have to assume responsibilities which help the survival of matrimony with its stresses and strains. We must also fight the culture of patriarchy and chauvinism which refuses to recognize the role of the woman in a fast changing world.  Similarly, education and liberation for women must also mean an added sense of responsibility in matrimony and society, to help strengthen the community and our nation.

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
Muhsin, Gogannaka, Waziri, BKGZ,
Da gaske ne za'a yi wannan zanga-zangan? Danbarno, ban tamabayekaba kuma ban ce kaje kano da video camera ba.

Muhsin

Da gaskene, Engineer. Amma Hizba sun hana, as I heard.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Dan-Borno

Quote from: EMTL on January 22, 2009, 01:22:52 PM
Danbarno, ban tamabayekaba kuma ban ce kaje kano da video camera ba.

;D   ;D  my camera!!!! if you say a word again, i will release
the other video clip!!! any word?

Quote from: Muhsin on January 22, 2009, 01:26:47 PM
Da gaskene, Engineer. Amma Hizba sun hana, as I heard.

Lallai en hisbah sun rasa aikin yi, so, they have now extended
their fist to denying people of expressing themselves, what is
wrong idan mata sun fito sunce "maza bakuyi daidai ba", "take
care of us" "look at the orphans da idon rahama", for God sake
what is the statutory role of this hisbah ne?  the last time they
tried to stop women from taking okada, they failed woefully and
they are going to fail this one also - babu wata doka da ta hana
ayi zanga zangan lumana - who said so?
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

bakangizo

Quote from: EMTL on January 22, 2009, 01:22:52 PM
Assalamu alaikum,
Muhsin, Gogannaka, Waziri, BKGZ,
Da gaske ne za'a yi wannan zanga-zangan? Danbarno, ban tamabayekaba kuma ban ce kaje kano da video camera ba.

Its true engineer. The Hisba and teh police stopped it. Thank God. I mean the whole thing won't achive anything other kaskanci ga matan. Plus we all know how Kano can be volatile. Any form of demonstration and rally can be seized by 'yan iskan gari. We've enjoyed relative peace for some time, so talk of such demonstrations is naturally received with trepidation. I'm happy it is stopped. It is even embarrasing.

Dan-Borno

u surprise me Bakangizo, you only speak to one side forgeting
that the other side also has same right.  even if kano is going
to boil down saboda yan'iska which the government could not
control despite the resources at its disposal will never be an
excuse to stop a meaningful and law abiding citizen from performing
his constituted given right.

remember you are talking of 1 million divorcees, orphans and widows,
1 million is a good number to be heard compared to the total number
of population in kano state.  ko kana son kace min yan iskan kano
sun kai 1 million?  Haba Rainbow!!!!!!!!!!

if hisbah and the police have succeeded in stoping the rally today,
definitely, time will come when their number have multiplied to 2 million
neither hisbah nor police or even military can stop them from what they
intend to do.

why are we so naive when it comes to women? lokacin taron siyasa
we followed them right into their houses, at the mosques, at their work
place and everywhere we see them we seek for their votes, its not
a shame for a woman who is breastfeeding to come out under the heat
of the sun waiting to vote - buts its a shame for her to come out and
protest her right ko?

maza wallahi kuji tsoron Allah.

EMTL

Quote from: Dan-Borno on January 23, 2009, 09:27:51 AM
u surprise me Bakangizo, you only speak to one side forgeting
that the other side also has same right.  even if kano is going
to boil down saboda yan'iska which the government could not
control despite the resources at its disposal will never be an
excuse to stop a meaningful and law abiding citizen from performing
his constituted given right.

Assalamu alaikum,
Dan barno i do not agree with you. Are you sure the Shariah allows this show of shame.

Don Zawara sunyi yawa bai kamata ana zuwa da daga Barno mugayen abubuwa irin abinda Anty maiduguir tayi - mata su auri mata.

waduz

Hehehehehehehe.......zawarawa da zanga zanga don ba su sami mazan aure ba, ko? Akwai dalilin rashin samun mujin. Shine kan cewa yanzu VIRGINS na nan birjik, to wa ka ga dauki 2nd hand?
I do not believe that the constitution allowed such demonstrations to be conducted by any one or group of persons, under any guise without authority' permit. I know all of us have the constitutional right of expressing our views and pursue them rightly. In this divorcee demonstration, I  see something sinister behind the move. If the proponents are true moslems, then let them pray and keep hoping that The Almighty SWT acceeds to their prayers for husbands. If they dare go out, then their former husbands should also demonstrate on "WHY" the wives left them in the first place!

Dan-Borno

EMTL and Waduz i also disagree with you except if you
can come up with a Qur'anic injunction or any saying by
Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam regarding this issue - if not
i consider not allowing this women demonstrate as a
great violation of their right.  You must agree with me
that whenever demonstration is staged, then its in regard
to their right been denied in the first place.  And as i
keep on saying, one day, we must listen to them just
as it happens as far back as 1990, when a group of 47
women staged a demonstration in saudi arabia to press
their claim for the right to drive. The government confiscated
the women's passports, and those employed as teachers
were fired. The previously unofficial ban on women's driving
quickly became official.  what happenes after 18 years?
saudi government is thinking of reversing its earlier decision
and willing to allow women drive -

tell me that the Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam did not encourage
muslims to marry widows?

most of the divorce cases in arewa are at the instance of the
men not women!! if truly men have understood the saying of
the prophet that women are like a our ribs, when you try
stretching it, they will break - abi we don forget this one?

when women were not allowed to wear on their hijab in the
west, muslim women all over the world protested - me kuka ce
game da wannan kuma?

Malam Waduz, yes, dole sai da permit, but obtaining the permit
is for the information of the police only.  peaceful demonstration
is something to be encouraged in a democratic setup like nigeria,
because this is the only means a poor man's voice will be heard.

i am surprised da kace wai let them pray and keep hoping that
the Almighhty SWT accepts their prayer for husbands.  their demand
is not only husbands, they are drawing the attention of the government
to their plight as divorcees, widows and orphans which the government
have neglected over a period of time.  Abi is it not the duty of the
government to offer social welfare to this category of people?

i dont regard this as a show of shame.

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
Dan barno Demostrations or zanga-zanga entails going out on streets, airing views, sometimes with songs, etc., etc.

All above are forbidden for women by the Shariah, the rule is the same for all adults women- married or spinsters, widow, divorcee, Zawar (you know what Zawar means in kanuri, ko? 

I will like to quote some verses of Glorious quran to support above.
In Suratul Nur, Allah (SWT) warns the Muslims women:
"And stay quietly in your houses and make not a dazzling display like that of the former Times of Ignorance; and establish regular Prayer and give regular Charity; and obey Allah and His Apostle. And Allah only wishes to remove all abomination from you, ye! Members of the Family and to make you pure and spotless." Q (33: 32-33)

In the book Makaaremul Akhlaq, one tradition is quoted from Imam Sadiq (AS) on the authority of
"And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear therof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, or their brothers' sons or their sisters' sons, or their women or the servants whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex, and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O you Believers, turn you all together towards Allah, that you may attain Bliss." (Quran 24:31).

Allah (SWT) says to the Holy Prophet (SAW), "O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful." (Quran 33:59)

Obedience and Loyalty to leaders: In Suratul Nisa'i Allah (SWT) says, "Oh you who believe, obey Allah and obey the Messenger, and those in authority among you." Q (4: 59)

The Holy Prophet (SAW) in the following Hadith explicated the above verse as narrated by Abu Hurairah (RAA), 'The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, "It is obligatory for you to listen to the ruler and obey him in adversity and prosperity, in pleasure and displeasure, and even when another person is given (rather undue) preference over you." This Hadith underscores the importance of loyalty and obedience to the leader.

Therefore Islam do not permit the followers to stage public demostrations against their leaders. And i would like to understand:
What will these sisters gain by going to the streets carrying placards, and may be shouting, singing?
Parading their beauties to all and sundry, non-Muslims, etc.?
What of the negative news that would definately come out of this show of shame?

On the other hand I doubt any body (man) in his right senses would marry and divorce his wife, may be she is even the mother of their children, for the fun of it.
There is need for every body to be very careful before choosing who to marry,
Both the husband the wives must fear Allah (SWT) and persevere in this worship (married life), etc.

To my brothers in Islam let me remind you of the following Hadith of our beloved Prophet (SAW):
Ishaq Ibne Ammar who says, I asked him (AS),"What is the right of a woman over her husband?" He (AS) replied, "To feed her, to clothe her and if she commits some silly mistake or error he must forgive her."

waduz

DBN, "if you want to marry, marry from among the virgins, they smell ........." By Sayyidina Khalifa Umar Ibn Khattab. :)