News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

my memories of Kano in the Eighties......Any body can respond please

Started by aedos, April 01, 2008, 12:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aedos

I last saw kano in the mid eighties and it was a beautuful place and i have great memories of this beautiful city as i spent my child hood here and lived in from 79 to 85 and studied in Magwan Primary School and later in Kano Capital School till form 2 and later left the country because my father left job there ,can any body tell me are these schools Magwan and Kano Capital School still there and i lived near the Rimi Market in the city and there was a big hospital near my house named as Murtala Muhammad hospital,are these places still there and how is the life now I had many friends at that time but i have no contact with them now ,one i can remember was Hussaini Sani whose father had biscuits and macaroni factories and he was close friend of mine and used to visit me some times at my house and i remember the   wonderful people kano had,i have visited world over now to many places but the love and hospitality which i saw in kano i can not forget and great congregations of people in eid and juma prayers and amir of kano travelling in the streets and also i visited outside places and villages around kano and factories around kano and i remember unity stores and chellarams which were big departmental stores and how lovely and peaceful it was to be in kano,now adays i read that kano has got too dangerous a place to visit ,can any one tell me about anything which i mentioned and i will write more as i remember

IBB

Wow sound like you had great time in Kano. Magwan and Capital they are still existing, I studied in magwan too from 87-90. Chellarams and unity stores are history now. You can buy cheap chines sunshades and watches from there though, not in the store cos is closed. But outside the building, lot of men with small tables shaded with multi-coloured umbrellars vend and repair watches there now
IHS

HUSNAA

Quote from: aedos on April 01, 2008, 12:39:03 AM
I last saw kano in the mid eighties and it was a beautuful place and i have great memories of this beautiful city as i spent my child hood here and lived in from 79 to 85 and studied in Magwan Primary School and later in Kano Capital School till form 2 and later left the country because my father left job there ,can any body tell me are these schools Magwan and Kano Capital School still there and i lived near the Rimi Market in the city and there was a big hospital near my house named as Murtala Muhammad hospital,are these places still there and how is the life now I had many friends at that time but i have no contact with them now ,one i can remember was Hussaini Sani whose father had biscuits and macaroni factories and he was close friend of mine and used to visit me some times at my house and i remember the   wonderful people kano had,i have visited world over now to many places but the love and hospitality which i saw in kano i can not forget and great congregations of people in eid and juma prayers and amir of kano travelling in the streets and also i visited outside places and villages around kano and factories around kano and i remember unity stores and chellarams which were big departmental stores and how lovely and peaceful it was to be in kano,now adays i read that kano has got too dangerous a place to visit ,can any one tell me about anything which i mentioned and i will write more as i remember

you dont come across as Nigerian or Hausa.. more like a foreigner who lived in the heart of Kano and attended all the local schs. They were really good in those days. The hospitality and everything u mentioned is still there except the macaroni factories of course.. those went out with the economy. Kano is more gritty and nitty now. There is a harder edge to its ambience due to the economic woes that ppl have been experieced from the mid 80s. Yr dad left his job obviously because of SAP and the devaluation of the Naira. I remember that many of my lecturers at university left around 1987, because the value of the Naira was 10 to 1 i.e. 10 Naira to 1 pound! lol!! one of my foreign lectures wanted to sell his car for N30,000 because that would translate to 3000 pounds for him.. imagine! Today, that would be worth 250 x 3000!!!
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Dave_McEwan_Hill

I too was in Kano in the eighties and remember Bhojsuns Stores as well as Chellerams,Leventis and Kingsway and also the Bata Shoe store opposite the Coca Cola bottling plant. I spent rather too much time at he disco in the Daula Hotel and had many a late night in the Moulin Rouge or the Cozy International Nite clubs. I presume they no longer exist.
One of my most exciting projects in Kano was helping to promote a US soul band from Columbus, Ohio  called Horrizon USA and I got them a TV performance which Kano TV showed for years. I always meant to look those guys up but never got to US to take advantage of the open invitation they gave me. My granddaughter who is half Nigerian was born in a clinic in Sabon Gari in 1984. She is now at University in Glasgow.
maigemu

Muhsin

Hi there,

Am so sorry because what I have to say isn't rightly on the path of your topic of discussion but something a bit different. And that is simply telling my wide surprise at what you guys said above.

First is the mention by IBB that he had his junior secondary education at Magwan aroubd 87-90. And more astonishing at Dave's mention of his grandaughter that was born in Kano and is presently bagging her university education at Glasgow. I had never imagine these two gentle men were as old as that. Though I know each is old but not actually as that old...lol. ;D ;D ;D
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

HUSNAA

Quote from: Muhsin on April 02, 2008, 03:18:42 PM
Hi there,

Am so sorry because what I have to say isn't rightly on the path of your topic of discussion but something a bit different. And that is simply telling my wide surprise at what you guys said above.

First is the mention by IBB that he had his junior secondary education at Magwan aroubd 87-90. And more astonishing at Dave's mention of his grandaughter that was born in Kano and is presently bagging her university education at Glasgow. I had never imagine these two gentle men were as old as that. Though I know each is old but not actually as that old...lol. ;D ;D ;D

Wai what's up with u ne Muhsin? What's this complex about age that's hanging around you ne? Why do you always manage to sound so SMUG when you feel that other ppl are older than u? is age a viral infection?   >:(

Admin, you really must restrict the age limit for who should be allowed to be a member: ppl born after the yr 2000 are not qualified and that obviously puts Muhsin in that category... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Muhsin

Auntie Husnaa,

Cool down mana! Me ya yi zafi haka?

DB, where are you? Help me out don Allah.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

IBB

First is the mention by IBB that he had his junior secondary education at Magwan aroubd 87-90.

Hadji Muhsin kenan. I never knew there is Magwan sec sch. I know of Magwan special primary school though. dont worry m not a chus like Baba-dave
IHS

aedos

oh thanks some people are there who had been to Magwan, it was a primary school at that time ,may be now it is secondary school ,after completing primary education i got admission in Kano capital school and studied for another 2 years there,in  Magwan we used to study in English and mostly hausa language and i used to speak hausa with my class fellows and friends but it is more than 22 years i left kano and that is why i have lost this language but after so many years still memories of my child hood and schooling are there in my mind and the people were fantastic ,great hospitality and peaceful life,i was may be 13 years when i left kano but it was so peaceful i used to walk all around the rimi market and got vegetables and groundnut oil and juicy mangos and most shopkeepers were at that time ladies and my class fellows were so friendly,in the evenings we had technical classes regarding wood metal and electricity in a technical training college that was near murtala Muhammad square if iam remembering it rightly and kano capital school was so good i remember we had a lot of fun there ,had games and science club meetings in which we used to make kites and models of clay and soaked newspapers and education was really of high standard,different thing about kano capital school was it had french also as a subject and we were also learning french there ,i also remember places llike bagoda dam which had a swimming pool and also visted many places outside kano,once went to mashi a place on the north i suppose and also hadijia and once went to kaduna state which i remember and also used to go to village markets to buy mutton etc outside kano,people say kano has changed so much now ,it is not as peaceful as it was but i pray the glory of that time returns to kano

Hafsy_Lady

Quote from: HUSNAA on April 02, 2008, 06:33:00 PM
Hi there,

Admin, you really must restrict the age limit for who should be allowed to be a member: ppl born after the yr 2000 are not qualified and that obviously puts Muhsin in that category... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Mushin just reminding you that this suggested rule of Husna's meets the requirement of age discrmination. You have your rights as you know, incase you wish to seek legal aid agaisnt her. Husna ke kuma stop amplifying your point. ;D ;D You are too  much jare!!! ;D ;D He couldnt have been born in 2000, perhaps during the year of anno domini.  ;D ;D ;D

Oh well since the age limitations does not affect us but Muhsin no wahala!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

Ah! Kano!
I dont know Kano that much, stayed her for a very short period of my very young years. But am always visiting Kano. Its fun, fun, fun!!! Hausa people fun!!!! Good  memories linger on........Only thing is the overpolluted roads with those motorcycle transports. Its very very HOTTTTT too. And apart from air conditioning you might want to have a real feel of the hustles and bustles of the energised people on the roads and the pedestrians. A/C off, car windows down, nice breeze, over polluted air from car/motorcycle exhaust pipes mixed with the nice aroma of charcoal grilled meat, the overcrowdness and noise all enjoyable to watch. But it made some people sick, Thanks for throwing up in my car. It was only gasoline smell!!! >:(

I love kanooooo even though am not from there.
What you see is what you get[/b]

Dave_McEwan_Hill

I have many, many memories of Kano. One incident I shall never forget is being pursued for about 40miles on the road down from Jos by armed robbers who kept trying to knock my car off the road. I eventually made it safely to Tudun Wada Dan Kadai but I have never driven so fast before or since.
Most of my memories are much more pleasant however. I keep trying to write my novel based on the fifteen years I lived in Kano.
maigemu

IBB

IHS

Muhsin

Quote from: Hafsy_Lady on April 12, 2008, 07:22:43 PM
Hi there,

Mushin just reminding you that this suggested rule of Husna's meets the requirement of age discrmination. You have your rights as you know, incase you wish to seek legal aid agaisnt her. Husna ke kuma stop amplifying your point. ;D ;D You are too  much jare!!! ;D ;D He couldnt have been born in 2000, perhaps during the year of anno domini.  ;D ;D ;D

Oh well since the age limitations does not affect us but Muhsin no wahala!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

LOL Hafsy. Leave Aunt Husnaa, ai mun saba da haka.

Quote from: Dave_McEwan_Hill on April 15, 2008, 12:45:32 AM
Most of my memories are much more pleasant however. I keep trying to write my novel based on the fifteen years I lived in Kano.

You writing a novel, Dave? But you've never been to our Literature sub-forum? Why?

*~MuDa~*

Quote from: aedos on April 01, 2008, 12:39:03 AM
Now adays i read that kano has got too dangerous a place to visit.

Naah, Kano aint that dangerous as you put it, i lived most of my adult live in Kano, i have only been jumped on once on the street one faithful night cause i had some change in my pocket, i think its quite less dangerous considering the fact that i use to work late and walk the streets for a particular 2 years in my life. It aint that dangerous, its one of the most safest haven in nigeria. But still one has to be careful.
Quote from: HUSNAA on April 01, 2008, 06:06:58 AM
you dont come across as Nigerian or Hausa.. more like a foreigner who lived in the heart of Kano and attended all the local schs.

Exactly...i wanted saying that and then i saw your post, Aedos sounded more like a foreigner, you should have more memories of Kano, beautiful and ugly ones...lol, you should have more friends too, especially if you went to a school like Kano Capital (now a.k.a. Kano Brown Goat ...lol..cause of their dark brown uniform fabric).

First is the mention by IBB that he had his junior secondary education at Magwan aroubd 87-90.

I'm not here to bash you for your love of the inferioty complex phenomenon,just wanted to tell you that you got your facts wrong brother, Magwan is a primary school and does not have a secondary section, IBB did not say so either.

How cruel Husnaa....lol ;D :D
...He begot not, nor is He begotten!
www.articlesdir.co.cc

HUSNAA

Dave that's surely not u in the pic. Looks more like LM (muhahahaha) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
or have u been keeping us in the dark all this while and u really are not dave but davinia?