News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

SMOKING IN ISLAM

Started by kofa, February 12, 2004, 11:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hafsy_Lady

What you see is what you get[/b]

elgaazus

Kanonliners!!!!!!!!!!!

Following the argument the from the begining one will not fail notice that all the contributors to this thread are divided into SMOKING being haram and not haram. Well, we all know that the religion of Islam always preaches the virtue of removing harm. Thus allowing human beings(ulamas) to use their discretion in matters that are not claerly defined in the Quran or Sunnah of the Prophet(SAW). Smoking is one of such issues, which some Ulamas termed 'MAKHRUH' that is unwanted owing to the facts that smoking bringsnogood but harm the human being. However, others are more strict on the matter who believe that just think it to be makhruh will not ditter ppl, so they delared it haram.  But Wallahu A'alam, so Hafsy lady dont rushto declare smoking HALAL its not prudent decision.

May Allah guide us, Amin.  

Ma'assalam
orget about it

dan kauye

toh ganin nan fa na iso wannan haraba...i'm no malam but i sabi copy & paste job..big thanx 2 search engines & d internet as a whole....check this out..i'll keep y'all updated...

Smoking and Islam

In Islam cleanliness and hygiene are emphasized to the extent that it has been considered a part of Iman (faith). It is very well known that a smoker's mouth is unclean and foul smelling "like a cigarette ash-tray." In the Quran, God says:

"And forbid them what is bad." - Surah Al-'Araf, 7:157

"0 ye who believe! Intoxicants and gambling are an abomination of Satan's handiwork. Eschew such abominations that ye may prosper." -  Surah Al Ma'idah, 5:93

The word intoxicant has three meanings (6):  

(1) To induce, especially the effect of ingested alcohol.

(2) To stimulate or excite.

(3) To poison.  

The latter two meanings are very valid and applicable to nicotine.

Smoking is nothing but a form of slow suicide. The Qur'an says:

"And slay not the life which God hath forbidden..." - Surah, Al-Isra, 17:33

"And make not your own hands contribute to your destruction." - Surah, Al-Baqara, 2:195

"Nor kill or destroy yourselves for verily God hath been to you most Merciful."    Surah, An-Nisa, 4:29

Prophet Mohammed has said:

"Nor be hurt or injure others." It is scientifically proven that the exhaled smoke of the smoker is hazardous to non-smokers around him.

The amount of money a smoker spends on cigarette smoking in a period of 30 years is calculated to be Two Hundred Thousand Dollars or more. All this money is simply wasted (not including the money spent on smoker's health care).  

God says:  

"But squander not your wealth in the manner of a spend thrift, verily spendthrifts are brothers of evils." - Surah, Al-Isra, 17:26, 27

The body is polluted by smoking. Hence smokers cannot pray until they have cleansed themselves. According to the Qur'an:

"0 ye who believe! Draw not near unto prayer when you are drunken, till ye know that which ye utter, nor when you are polluted save when journeying upon the road, till you have bathed." - Surah, An-Nisa, 4:43

The Christians consider the human body to be a sacred trust given to man by God because it contains the spirit breathed into it by God. Even the Qur'an says

"So, when I have made him and have breathed unto him of My spirit, do ye fall down, prostrating yourselves unto him." - Surah, Al-Hijr, 15:29.

Hence the physical body should not be polluted or injured or destroyed in any way by smoking or taking of alcohol or any type of habit-forming drugs.

Conclusion

For the foregoing reasons and for reasons considered elsewhere, smoking is Haram or unlawful in Islam, hence smoking should be discouraged and finally banned in all Islamic countries.

All smoking Muslims should give up this unhealthy and un-Islamic activity. The best way to give it up is to stop all smoking completely. Tapering off on the amount one smokes does not work for most people. It is not easy to quit suddenly, but it is presently the most successful way. There are many ways and techniques available for a serious minded person to give up smoking.  For the Muslims who sincerely practice Islam and who submit themselves to the Will of God, this should not be a difficult task.
Dan-Kauye's Artist Of The Week;Robin Thicke

ummita

THNX ALOT DEE-KAY.

SMOKING IS MAKRUHHHHH BUT NOT HARAM

Magana finito!
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

kofa

Quote from: "ummita"THNX ALOT DEE-KAY.

SMOKING IS MAKRUHHHHH BUT NOT HARAM

Magana finito!
kai ummitah this ur statement need to be crosschecked i guess.
n GOD i trust

ummita

Carry out all necessary pros-checkin in dat ONCE SENTENCE............n giv me d feedbck! (she smiles). All d post ppl had up there no one said CLEARLY: SMOKING IS HARAM & so so verse in d Quran testifies it! If there is make una holla.....make I reach ma ppl begin dey preach!

Jazakallah Khair............2 all knowledgeble contributory comments.

kofa

Girls who smoke are 7 times more likely to grow excess facial hair.
Teens who smoke produce twice as much phlegm as teens who don't.
Smoking causes "hairy tongues" from the tar.
Teenage smokers see shrinks more than other teens.
Cigarettes contain formaldehyde - the same stuff used to preserve dead frogs.
Teens who smoke are more likely to catch a cold than people who don't-and their symptoms will probably be worse and last longer.
Studies find nonsmoking women to be more physically attractive.
Smoking is known to cause impotence in men.
The Marlboro man died from emphysema.
Teen smokers are more likely to gain belly fat.
Male smokers are more likely to have mutated sperm.
Puppies can die from eating 2 cigarette butts.
Cigarette smoke causes asthma in cats.
Smokers earn 10% less money than non-smokers.
Over 7,000 companies do not hire smokers
Kids who smoke 2 or 3 cigarettes a day can get hooked in as short as two weeks.
Once they get hooked, the average smoker smokes for seventeen years.
A Canadian dies every 12 minutes from tobacco use.
72% of high school seniors consider smoking a dirty habit, and say they'd rather date someone who doesn't smoke.
Smoking is more common among individuals with less education and lower income.
Smokers run slower and can't run as far as non-smokers.
Cigars and spit tobacco are not safe alternatives to smoking.
Even short-term use of spit tobacco can cause cracked lips, white spots, sores, and bleeding in your mouth.
Many kids start smoking (even though they know it's stupid) because they don't know how to say no to tobacco.
Smoking is the major cause of heart disease.
Operations to remove oral cancers caused by tobacco can permanently change the shape of your face.
People who try to quit chewing tobacco have the same symptoms as people trying to quit cigarettes.
Spit tobacco diminishes your sense of taste, so food doesn't taste as good.
Spit tobacco can cause tooth decay.
Smoking can lead to diseases that make your hair fall out.
Smokers are 1 1/2 times more likely than non-smokers to lose their teeth.
Cigarette smoke contains carbon monoxide, the same poisonous gas in car exhaust.
Smoking a pack a day for a whole year will cost you about $1200.
Quitting smoking now can boost your energy and stamina within just a few days.
Secondhand smoke fills the air with many of the same poisons found in the air around toxic waste dumps.
Smoking can decrease your life expectancy by as much as 15-25 years.
Carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke can make your skin look wrinkled and gray.
A single, large cigar smoked in one hour can contain as much tobacco as a pack of cigarettes.
You might think smoking calms your nerves, but actually it can increase your anxiety.
Among high school seniors who smoke 1 - 5 cigarettes a day, 70% will still be smoking-and risking their health-5 years later.
Tobacco is the only legal substance that is lethal when used as intended by the manufacturer.
It takes 25 years for a cigarette butt to decompose.
Cigarettes contain over 4,000 chemicals.
Worldwide, 600 trillion cigarettes are sold each year.
Secondhand smoke is just as bad for pets as it is for people.
Studies show that smokers are more likely than non-smokers to go deaf as they grow older.
Chewing tobacco lessens a person's senses of taste and smell. As a result, users tend to eat more salty and sweet foods, both of which are harmful if consumed in excess.
44% of teens say they didn't know bidi cigarettes could lead to cancer.
One bidi cigarette produces 3 times as much nicotine and carbon monoxide as a regular cigarette and 5 times as much tar.
Smoking just one cigarette is enough to impair the function of the heart so it has to work harder.
Each year in the U.S. there are more tobacco-related deaths than deaths from AIDS, car accidents, murders, suicide, drug overdoses and fires combined.
Teenagers who smoke have poorer general health than those who do not smoke.
Teenagers who smoke use more medications than those who do not smoke.
Teenagers who smoke have significantly more trouble sleeping than those who do not smoke.
Lung cancer has surpassed breast cancer as the leading cause of cancer deaths among females .
Tobacco companies spent more than $12.7 Billion each year on advertising.? That is 26 times the money NIKE made in 2003.
Smokers have about 10 times as many wrinkles as non-smokers.
Every 3 years, tobacco kills as many Americans as all our wars combined--over 1,000,000 people.
Nearly 1 in 5 deaths in the U.S. are related to smoking.
The most recent tobacco use figures for Virginia show that 4 of 5 High School students don't smoke.
40% of teenagers who smoke daily have tried to quit and failed.
Nicotine is more addictive than so-called "harder" drugs. 1 in 3 users become addicted, compared to 1 in 9 for regular alcohol users and 1 in 4 for crack or cocaine users.
Teens who try to quit smoking suffer the same nicotine withdrawal symptoms as adults who try to quit.
About 2/3 of teen smokers say they want to quit smoking, and 70% say they would not have started if they could choose again.
An estimated 1 billion packs of cigarettes are sold to minors under the age of 18 every year.
Each cigarette you smoke cuts 11 minutes from your life expectancy.
1 out of 3 young people who become regular smokers will die of a smoking related disease.
Young adult smokers are 43% more likely to suffer a stroke than their non-smoking peers.
Secondhand smoke may cause thousands of healthy kids to develop asthma each year.
Smoking as few as 5 cigarettes a day can reduce teens' lung function growth, with teenage girls being especially vulnerable.
Girls and women are significantly more likely than boys to report feeling dependent on cigarettes and are more likely to report feeling sad, blue or depressed during attempts to quit.
Studies rank secondhand smoke as the third leading cause of preventable death in the U.S., after active smoking and alcohol use, with 53,000 deaths annually.
Smokers are admitted to hospitals twice as often as nonsmokers.
A recent study showed that in households where both parents smoke, kids take in a nicotine equivalent of smoking 80 cigarettes a year.
In 2000, the largest single cause of fatal accidental house fires was the careless handling and disposal of smoking materials.
Smoking can cause gangrene in your leg because it makes you 16 times more likely to have blocked blood vessels in your legs and feet.
Smoking costs Virginians $1.92 billion a year in healthcare costs.
The tobacco industry spends $528 million each year marketing its products in Virginia.
Each year, the tobacco industry contributes over $2.5 Million to political parties and federal candidates.
Most Virginia kids who don't smoke say it's because they want to stay healthy.
If you smoke and you break a bone it can take longer to heal.
If you smoke when you're young it can stunt your lung growth.
Smokers are three times more likely to get out of breath when they play sports.
Smoking can make you look old when you're still young.
Kids in Virginia who smoke are more likely to say it's because they are addicted than any other reason.
Every day, 3,000 young people become regular tobacco users and 4,800 smoke their first cigarette.
Tobacco smoke makes your hair and clothes stink!
Tobacco stains teeth and causes bad breath.
Nicotine narrows your blood vessels and puts extra strain on your heart.
Kids who start smoking are more likely to get lower grades in school.
Smoking can wreck your lungs and reduce the amount of oxygen available to your muscles when you play sports.
Tobacco is the most widely grown non-food crop in 120 countries - 10 to 20 million people could be fed if food crop was grown in its place.
Burning tobacco is the main source of indoor pollution in the developed world.
One whole tree is needed to cure the tobacco for 300 cigarettes.
Smokers have more back pain than non-smokers.
By age 11, kids of mothers who smoked more than 10 cigarettes a day during pregnancy are shorter and below average in reading and math than kids of non-smoking mothers.
A person who uses 8-10 dips or chews a day receives the same amount of nicotine as a heavy smoker who smokes 30-40 cigarettes a day.
:evil:  :twisted:
n GOD i trust

Dante

Quote from: "ummita"Carry out all necessary pros-checkin in dat ONCE SENTENCE............n giv me d feedbck! (she smiles). All d post ppl had up there no one said CLEARLY: SMOKING IS HARAM & so so verse in d Quran testifies it! If there is make una holla.....make I reach ma ppl begin dey preach!

Jazakallah Khair............2 all knowledgeble contributory comments.

What other proofs do u need? Do u believe that what eva one does to harm himself is commiting a sin?

IF you du then...   Hey by the way i'v been thinking whether u...

ummita

Quote from: "Dante"

NO BIG DEAL BUT PLZ COMPLETE UR STATEMENT........ :evil:  & ALL I NEED IS JUST ONE GOOD SWING :evil:  [/b]

Dante

Quote from: "ummita"
Quote from: "Dante"

NO BIG DEAL BUT PLZ COMPLETE UR STATEMENT........ :evil:  & ALL I NEED IS JUST ONE GOOD SWING :evil:  [/b]

.   :D  

Hafsy_Lady

*COUGHING REAL BAD*, NO KWAMENT. WHAT DID DANTE SAY THAT DESERVED BATTING?

SUBHANALLAH.....DANTE & UMMITA, FIGHTING IN THE ISLAMIC FORUM....

AND TWO OF YOU, YOUR ARGUMENTS AND COUNTER ARGUMENTS HAVE REALLY LEFT ME CONFUSED.

PLUS MALAM KOFA CAME AND RAZZMATAZZED THE WHOLE PLACE WITH MEDICAL EVIDENCE, I TAUGHT THOSE TWO; ONE WITH A SHIELD AND THE OTHER WITH A BAT.....WANTED RELIGIOUS EVIDENCE? :?

NIDAI MY KNOWING ON THIS ASPECT IS ALLAH WA'ALAM

admin

Assalamu alaikum;

Please no fighting here... we may have to delete the fighting posts from here...

Thanks.
Kaini Kano ko a buhun barkono!!!

Hafsy_Lady

I was only joking and instigating Uncle Salis. lol

admin

Assalamu alaikum;

Also no joking here too Hafsy_Lady!
Kaini Kano ko a buhun barkono!!!

ummita

(she laffs) Allah yer karanmiki......(big mouth), got urself included.........[/b]

Quote from: "hafsylady"PLUS MALAM KOFA CAME AND RAZZMATAZZED THE WHOLE PLACE WITH MEDICAL EVIDENCE
[/color](She laffs)......its true thou.....

I RECENTLY CAME ACROSS CONCRETE EVIDENCE, UNDENIABLY PROVEN UP BY ISLAMIC SOURCES......THAT ALTHOUGH SMOKING TO DETRIMENTAL TO HEALTH, IT IS NOT HARAM BUT STANDS AS MAKRUH!!!!!.......................
(Phew)!! At long last,..... didnt I say it was Makruh? Now tell me whose right after all? (tongues out....*trrrrrrrr*)(she laffs)
[/b]