News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Hadith on “BEARD”

Started by bamalli, April 26, 2008, 09:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamalli

Hadith on "BEARD"

Sahih Muslim Hadith

Hadith 501    Narrated by Abu Hurairah

The Messenger of Allah said: Trim closely the moustache, and grow beard, and thus act against the fire-worshippers.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith

Hadith 7.780 Narrated by Nafi

Ibn Umar said: The Prophet said, "Do the opposite of what the pagans do. Keep the beards and cut the moustaches short." Whenever Ibn 'Umar performed the Hajj or Umrah, he used to hold his beard with his hand and cut whatever moustaches. Ibn Umar used to cut his moustache so short that the whiteness of his skin (above the upper lip) was visible, and he used to cut (the hair) between his moustaches and his beard.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith

Hadith 7.781 Narrated by Ibn Umar

Allah's Apostlesaid, "Cut the moustaches short and leave the beard (as it is)."

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith

Hadith 7.806 Narrated by Aisha (Radhiallaho Anha)

I used to perfume Allah's Apostle with the best scent available till I saw the shine of the scent on his head and hair.

Sahih Muslim Hadith

Hadith 502    Narrated by Aisha (Radhiallaho Anha)

The Messenger of Allahsaid: Ten are the acts according to fitrah: clipping the moustache, letting the beard grow, using the tooth-stick, snuffing up water in the nose, cutting the nails, washing the finger joints, plucking the hair under the armpits, shaving the pubes, and cleaning one's private parts with water. The narrator said: I have forgotten the tenth, but it may have been rinsing the mo

Running one's fingers through his beard:

Aisha (Radhiallaho Anha) reported that the Messenger of Allah would run his fingers through his beard. (Related by Ibn Majah and at-Tirmidhi, who classified it as sahih.)

Anas said that when the Messenger of Allah performed ablution, he would take a handful of water and put it under his jaws and pass it through his beard. He said, "This is what my Lord, Allah, ordered me to do." (Related by Abu Dawud, al-Baihaqi and al-Hakim.)

Question:
What is the ruling on shaving the beard or removing part of it?

Answer:

Praise be to Allah.

Shaving the beard is HARAAM because of the Sahih Ahadith that clearly state this, and because of the general application of texts that forbid resembling the kuffaar. One of these reports is the Hadith of Ibn 'Umar who said that the Messenger of Allahsaid: "Be different from the mushrikeen: let your beards grow and trim your moustaches." According to another report: "Trim your moustaches and let your beards grow." There are other Hadith which convey the same meaning, which is to leave the beard as it is and let it grow long, without shaving, plucking or cutting any part of it. Ibn Hazm reported that there was scholarly consensus that it is an obligation (fard) to trim the moustache and let the beard grow. He quoted a number of Ahadith as evidence, including the Hadith of Ibn 'Umarquoted above, and the Hadith of Zayd ibn Arqam in which the Prophet said: "Whoever does not remove any of his moustache is not one of us." (Classed as Sahih by Al-Tirmidhi) . Ibn Hazm said in al-Furoo': "This is the way of our colleagues [i.e., the Hanbalis]."

Is it HARAAM (to shave it)? Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said: "The Qur'an, Sunnah and ijmaa' (scholarly consensus) all indicate that we must differ from the kuffaar in all aspects and not imitate them, because imitating them on the outside will make us imitate them in their bad deeds and habits, and even in beliefs, which will result in befriending them in our hearts, just as loving them in our hearts will lead to imitating them on the outside. Al-Tirmidhi reported that the Messenger of Allah said, "He is not one of us who imitates people other than us. Do not imitate the Jews and Christians." According to another version: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them."

(Reported by Imam Ahmad)

Umar Ibn al-Khattab rejected the testimony of the person who plucked his beard. Imam Ibn 'Abd al-Barr said in al-Tamheed: "It is forbidden to shave the beard, and no one does this except men who are effeminate" i.e., those who imitate women. The Prophet  had a thick beard (reported by Muslim from Jabir). It is not permitted to remove any part of the beard because of the general meaning of the texts which forbid doing so.

Source: Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa'imah, 5/133

With kind Regards