News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Nigerian Intelligence Agency

Started by gogannaka, April 28, 2008, 03:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gogannaka

I wonder what you feel about this agency.
Do you think it does its job as the Nation's intelligence agency?
Many things happening in this country shouldn't be happening if an effective intelligence agency exists.

Check the issue of armed robbery,assasinations,importation of high ethanol fuel, a radioactive material got lost on our roads and was found in germany, missing aircraft, emergence of taliban militia right in the heart of Kano metropolis, rampant pipeline vandalization, pfizer drug test, yahoo yahoo to mention just a few.

Is it that i don't know what their role is or their activities are so classified that it seems they are non existent?

Your views please.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Muhsin

There's no much time to respond to that fully. But I know folks like DB will soon...Nice piece, GGNK. Keep it up!
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Dan-Borno

I most first of all commend you my bossom online
pally (as stamped by the mouse and cursor) for
initiating this topic.  Infact, we are suppose to
spend more time discussing issues that directly
affects the security of our nation (naija).

Yes, the NIA was mainly established to oversee
foreign intelligence and counterintelligence operations
in Nigeria.  I think it was Babangida who introduced
the NIA after successfully dissolving the NSO (I wonder
the differences).

However, we should not forget in our mind that the
agencies were three (3) in number each with its own
area of operation as follows:-

NIA - Responsible for Foreign intelligence and counterintelligence operations
DIA - Responsible for military intelligence.
SSS - Responsible for domestic intelligence

Back to GGNK's question, as far as my observation
is concerned, i regard the following as the major
ingredients affectiing maximum security control in
Naija.

1.  Inadequate funding from the Federal Government.
    this may result to non acquiring of the up to date
    working gadgets, training, incentives, after retirement
    benefits, risk allowances etc.
2.  Improper mode of employment:  You will agree with
    me that in this country only the candidates of the
    bog-guys are employed no matter how they breach
    the criterias, the end result is poor performance.
3.  Politicisation of the institution
4.  Improper mode of operation by the organisation
5.  Lack of supporting laws
?
?
?
? na gaji some body take over.  
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

King

This is a interesting topic and a very important one as well. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that our "intelligence" agencies suck as hell. I mean honestly, how can we expect to have an efficient intelligence department with the kind of governments we've had in Nigerian over the past years. Just access Obasanjo's chaotic and destructive government and think for a second what kind of intelligence outfit would emerge under such useless leadership.
Like Dan Borno said, the agency has amongst other things been politicized and only folks with godfathers attain employment in it. People that are closely linked to the intelligence office act like it is a status thing. I don't see any intelligence in what they do, but again, we can't expect top notch performance when everything else in the country is wishy washy. Can you do any intelligence work without electricity? Do you not need uninterrupted access to protected information? Do you not need extremely well trained personnel in the handling and dissemination of information? Do you not need qualified and well trained assets within and beyond your borders if you want to be an intelligence outfit to be reckoned with?

Quite frankly, let's forget about intelligence and worry about local law enforcement. The Nigerian police has no answer for armed robbers that are terrorizing Nigerians. We may as well worry about that first and see what kinds of progress we can make. 

Muhsin

Quote from: Dan-Borno on April 28, 2008, 05:21:26 PM
3.  Politicisation of the institution
Quote from: King on April 29, 2008, 12:57:13 AM
Like Dan Borno said, the agency has amongst other things been politicized and only folks with godfathers attain employment in it.

Good point from both DB and King!

I only decided to comment on this due to something I heard/learned just yesterday. 

One of my older friend was telling me while filling him an online Nigerian Custom Service application form that he was recruited into Nigerian Immigration Services when last they recruited new officers. He only sent copies of his application credentials to his elder sister's husband who is dan majalisa. Amma I know many other ppl in our area who did everything by themselves, passed all the difficult tests (that were disheartened enough conducted during fasting period) and so on. But at the end of the day they aren't taken but forsaken. Baka kara jin labarin ba! But that friend of mine refused to go saboda he's recruited with his Diploma saboda a lokacin he was serving his NYSC. And thus his NYSC certificate was not issued. Ku ji fa don Allah!
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

Hmm,interesting posts we've got.

So the NIA was created to oversee to the nation's foreign intelligence and counterintelligence?Are we still living the cold war?
Which foreign intelligence/counter intelligence pass the one where some people from chad infiltrated all form of security and operated from right within the heart of Kano State.

I need an explantion as to what the the foreign intelligence and counterintelligence operations mean?

gogannaka

Is this intelligence or what?

The Federal Government has ordered the Nigerian Navy to attack any ship entering Nigerian territorial waters illegally to lift oil from the Niger Delta.
THISDAY gathered that the new directive will be communicated to the embassies and missions of countries resident in Nigeria by the Minister of External Affairs soon.
Informing the embassies and the missions, a senior security source said, would be an avenue to warn their nationals involved in the illegal trade.
He said the policy was borne out of the fact that oil business is an organised international trade and any person found to be involved in illegal activities might be doing so with the knowledge of his home country.
"Once we block the international link, those breaking into oil pipelines will no longer have anywhere to sell the oil they stole," he said.
Intelligence reports, he said, showed that attacks on oil facilities by militants were done in connivance with their foreign partners to protect their business.
"The militants break into pipelines, siphon the crude into ocean going barges and sell them to ships in the high sea; where they get dollars and arms in return," he said.
According to him, the Federal Government strategy included setting up a division of Coast Guards in the Nigerian Navy to checkmate all barges and ships involved in the business.
"Any ship that is found with even an ounce of crude that cannot be accounted for will be destroyed. No matter where it comes from," the source said.

maxsiollun

The Nigerian intelligence agencies were not created to deal with genuine domestic security issues like armed robbery, MEND and kidnappings.  They were created by Obasanjo in 1975 after the Dimka coup (as the NSO), and later strengthened by IBB as a knee jerk reaction to the phenomenon of serial coup plotting.

The DIA, DMI, NIA and SSS were all glorified organs for suppressing coup plots and opposition to the government.

http://maxsiollun.wordpress.com/

lionger

Quote from: maxsiollun on June 26, 2008, 04:57:31 PM
The Nigerian intelligence agencies were not created to deal with genuine domestic security issues like armed robbery, MEND and kidnappings.  They were created by Obasanjo in 1975 after the Dimka coup (as the NSO), and later strengthened by IBB as a knee jerk reaction to the phenomenon of serial coup plotting.

The DIA, DMI, NIA and SSS were all glorified organs for suppressing coup plots and opposition to the government.

I concur. During the IBB-Abacha years I came to view the SSS in particular as merely a tool for arm-twisting the opposition. Looking at the circumstances surrounding its conception it should probably be no surprise. Perhaps with time it might develop more substance..

P.S. Welcome to Kanoonline, Max! I've come across your writings on other Nigerian forums and have read most - if not all - of your articles on your website. Your reputation precedes you!

Dan-Borno

may i also join lionger in welcoming you to the forum.
as lionger said, i still see the SSS as government tool.

i dont know when our security agencies will be independent!!!
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

maxsiollun

Lionger and Dan-Borno, many thanks for warmly welcoming me to this site. I am loking forward to contributing, taking part in the discourse here and "meeting" the board members.  I am pleased to hear that some of you are already acquainted with my work.

Incidentally please forgive the "1975" typo in my prior post. I of course meant to type "1976".

The SSS and DMI developed some particularly nasty tactics during the years of military rule.  Brig Ibrahim Sabo, Cols John Olu and Frank Omenka, Ismaila Gwarzo and CSP Zakari Biu in particular were involved in some of their worst excesses. 

However the presence of intelligence agencies is required in a politically volatile country like Nigeria. Major security issues like MEND and kidnapping though are better dealt with by special forces. That is the next frontier for the Nigerian armed services.

Muhsin

Though, I don't have anything to contribute further to the thread. But I'll like to welcome a great folk to K-Online Online Forum. Wish to see much of your reputative contributions. As Lionger said, I also know some of your meaningful writing on other boards, e.g Nigerian Village Square, Max.

Once again; welcome aboard!