News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

What is the Islamic view on horoscopes?

Started by Mujib, March 24, 2004, 06:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mujib

What is the Islamic view on horoscopes?

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

It is impermissible to follow horoscopes and astrology, because the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) sternly forbade it in numerous authentic hadiths, mentioned in Bukhari, Muslim and other major hadith collections.

Wassalam,

Faraz Rabbani (faraz@sunnipath.com ; hanafi@sunnipath.com)
Sunni Path - //www.sunnipath.com
An Online Center for Traditional Islamic Knowledge

Hafsy_Lady

What you see is what you get[/b]

Hafsy_Lady

MUJIB I WOULD RATHER SUGGEST YOU COMBINE ALL YOUR TOPICS IN ONE, BECAUSE THEY ARE MOSTLY ASKING QUESTIONS. BY COMBINING THEM IN ONE WE CAN THEN DROP OUR COMMENTS AND DISCUSS EACH POINT AND NOT HAVING YOU POSTING NEW TOPICS ON EVERY QUESTION ASKED!
JAZAKALLAH KHAIR, FOR YOU HAVE CONTRIBUTED IMMENSELY TO THE ISLAMIC SECTION
What you see is what you get[/b]

Mujib

Good sister -

I am on the Hanafi Fiqh List (www.sunnipath.com and Yahoo! groups).  List members send questions and the shuyukh answer them.  Some of the answers are sent out to the entire list, while others are just sent to the questioner.  I, and other list members, receive several answers via email everyday.  I try to post those that I feel are beneficial to others on the forum here.

It is not possible, sister, for me to combine all these answers into one topic.

If the moderators wish, they can create a Islamic Q & A forum, inshaAllah.

Was-Salam

maleek

asalaam aleikoum,

First of all, i would like to answer to all those wahabbi sites that say that astrology is forbidden, and only allah deals with the unseen....

I think that the unseen is a key element in Islam, to worship allah and his messenger saws, the angels, djinn etc etc are all unseen, and still muslims believe in it. we all cannot deny that the stars and heavens dont influence our life on earth, we just have to be careful how we use those things, that s where the idolism begins. i posted a little collection of hadiths concerning astrology below:

Narrated Qabisah:

I heard the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) say: Augury from the flight of birds, taking evil omens and the practice of pressomancy pertain to divination. Tarq: It is used in the sense of divination in which women threw stones. 'Iyafah: It means geomancy by drawing lines

Narrated Abdullah ibn Mas'ud:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Taking omens is polytheism; taking omens is polytheism. He said it three times. Every one of us has some, but Allah removes it by trust (in Him).

Narrated Urwah ibn Amir al-Qurashi:

When taking omens was mentioned in the presence of the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him), he said: The best type is the good omen, and it does not turn back a Muslim. If one of you sees anything he dislikes, he should say: O Allah, no one brings good things except Thee, and no one averts evil things except Thee and there is no might and power but in Allah.

There still is a difference in seeking omens through those flying birds etc and seeking guidance of allah.

the practice of istikhara, seeking guidance of allah, is another way to be guided in the future, even zikr or prayers, sacrifices can influence the future.

another thing is if the unseen is forbidden for humans, and only allah deals with it, why do muslims ever since mohammad saws protect themselves with coranic verses?

similar to that issue of the talismans, astrology too has forbidden and clean practices.

Mujib

As-Salamu `alaykum

Sidi, this information is not from a Wahhabi site.  The scholars that answer these questions are Sunni, Hanafi or Shafi`i in fiqh.  Most of them belong to a tariqa and have a shaykh (murshid).  Sh. Faraz Rabbani, who answered the question above, is a Hanafi, and is the student of the great Sufi shaykh, Shaykh Nuh Keller who lives in Amman, Jordan.

The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) forbade us from going to fortunetellers and the like.

The making and using of ta`wiz (amulets), which is permissible, is different from this.

Allah and His Messenger know best.

Was-Salam

maleek

i said fortunetelling depends on the methods, so what do you say about fortunetelling using the istikhara?

Fulanizzle

salam

well horoscope....emmm its a form of shirk...just like fortune telling....magic etc...
and yall know that shirk is one of the WORST sins ba, if not the worst!

so better one doent believe in it.
)

Anonymous

Quoteasalaam aleikoum,

First of all, i would like to answer to all those wahabbi sites that say that astrology is forbidden, and only allah deals with the unseen....

Don't forget that Allah (S.W.T) said in the qur'an: He is the only
who know (Gaib) unknow!

so i don't think someone predicting some s*** will come and
say dis n that will happen. I don't believe in all that crap s***

What will you say to dis ?