News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Muslim Deviance?

Started by HUSNAA, August 21, 2008, 06:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUSNAA

Muslim deviance?

Once again the CIA and MI6 are publishing dire warnings of the vitality of Al Qaeda. Once again the Islamic world as a whole is being tarnished by association. U.S. presidential contender John McCain is saying that America needs a leadership "to confront the transcendent challenge of our time: the threat of radical Islamic terrorism". And the words still ring in our ears from Samuel Huntington's treatise, "the Clash of Civilizations", the book that in many ways triggered this paranoia that infects the politicians, the press and the public discourse. "The underlying problem for the West is not Islamic fundamentalism, IT IS ISLAM", he wrote.

Few, if any, in the Western leadership seem to make the point that Al Qaeda is a deviant phenomenon within the Islamic world, just as Hitler was a deviant phenomenon within the Christian world (commentators seems to overlook Hitler's early speeches calling on Catholic principles). But Islam has a much better record over the ages (despite its founder being far more warlike than the founder of Christianity) of dealing with its deviants who take violence to excess. Islamic culture has never been tolerant of Nazism, fascism or communism. Christianity has spawned all three. Buddhism failed to resist Japanese militarism and Confucianism provided hospitable to Maoism. Yes, there was Saddam Hussein but he was an atheistic brute without an ideology.

Of course, there have been many incidents in the long history of Islam when there have been large-scale losses of life. The massacres and starvation of the Armenians in 1915 still stirs the waters of contemporary debate. But Islam has never spawned anything comparable with Hitler's systematic genocide of the Jews- indeed throughout its history Islam has been protective of the Jews, regarding them as "people of the book" to whom it had a special responsibility. Nor has it settled other parts of the world and systematically obliterated other civilizations as did Christian Spain with the Aztecs and Incas. Nor have Islamic societies created anything equivalent to South Africa's apartheid or the racist culture of the old American South. Unlike many Christian churches the mosque has never separated people by race. Even today Americans confess that nowhere is there more segregation in their society than at the Sunday noon hour.

Western memories are highly selective. When at Easter time the Greek peasants of the Peloponnese began to kill all the Muslims in the land there was silence. But fifty years later when there were mass killings of Christians in Bulgaria there was a great outpouring of moral outrage. Delacroix immortalized the massacre in his painting, "Massacre of Chaos", with Christian women pursued by Turkish lancers and Gladstone wrote a best selling pamphlet in which he described the Ottomans as leaving "a broad line of blood marking the track behind them, and as far as their domination reached civilization vanished from view".

Almost forgotten today is that it was the Ottomans who gave refuge to the Jews when they were expelled from Iberia, as were fleeing German, French and Czech Protestants, but every cultivated Westerner knows Voltaire's "Fanaticism or Mohammed the Prophet" or Dante's portrayal of Mohammed in hell.

Christianity has always been led or dominated by people of European descent. But the leadership of the Muslim world has been much more fragmented- between AD 661 and 750 it was the Arab Umayyad dynasty. Between 750 and 1258 it was the multi ethnic Abbasid dynasty. And from 1453 to 1922, the Turkish-dominated Ottoman Empire. In India there was the separate Moghuls and in Persia the Safavids. In sub-Saharan Africa there were the Muslim empires of Mali and Songhai.

Despite their relative poverty today, with great teaming cities like Cairo, Dacca and Jakarta, criminal violence is much, much lower than in Christian-influenced societies. Muslim countries, according to the UN's annual Human Development report, have the world's lowest murder and rape rates. In Tehran, the capital of Iran, and according to the CIA the most important single source of terrorism today, you can go out at 11 or 12pm at night and find families with children picnicing in city parks. When my daughters' friends ask me where can they safely travel alone in an interesting Third World city I say Cairo. Certainly not Catholic Rio or Protestant Cape Town. Not only are murders and muggings comparatively rarer there is much less prostitution and hard drug use. Neither is there that much AIDS.

The Western debate about Islam is frankly infantile. Even Barack Obama, with his own personal experience to go off, either is ignorant or just scared of going into battle on these issues. I have not read one speech by one Western politician who seriously attempts to educate public opinion. We live in a slough of ignorance.

By Jonathan Power, Tenerife Newsonline

http://www.tenerifenews.com/cms/front_content.php?idart=8141
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

sheriff 05

Very very good article... Hajia Husna you should put this on the general board .. I can't wait to read some particular individual responses..

HUSNAA

Quote from: sheriff 05 on August 23, 2008, 07:33:34 PM
Very very good article... Hajia Husna you should put this on the general board .. I can't wait to read some particular individual responses..

I know what you mean. I deliberately put it in the Islamic section to avoid inane comments about the article. But you are right. I am requesting the admin to put the article in general board. Or I might do so myself if there is no immediate response from him.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

gogannaka

Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

_Waziri_

Thanks Hajiya Husnaa for this post. I have a very intimate familiarity with the works of Samuel Hutington and particularly The Clash of Civilisations and Remaking of World order, where he blamed Muslims or everything Islam as the problem of the West or the World in general as Jack Fulcher believes the World is only the West. In fact I made references to the work in many of our exchanges with Jack in 2003 here.

I really find this article very refreshing as it brought to fore the tangible proof that Islamic culture gives more social protection to human beings than any other culture. Even in Northern Nigeria where there is the issue of poverty as compared to our counterparts in the South, one will still find less social crimes as compared to the South. It is like Islam in its claim as a total way of life teaches its adherents more tolerance to others human beings, conditions, circumstances, environment and climate than any other faith. This needless to mention the many things the other cultures vilifying Islam today borrowed from it. Those things are today their lodestar!

I also feel the need to clarify some point in the article which says:

Of course, there have been many incidents in the long history of Islam when there have been large-scale losses of life. The massacres and starvation of the Armenians in 1915 still stirs the waters of contemporary debate.

While I believe the charges are correct historically, I also think a closer examination of the events at that time will reveal that it was not a norm or rule but rather an exception as Armenia is known to have provoked Turkey to that height of insensitivity. Ali Mazrui captured it most clearly here:

"Incidents in Muslim history, it is true, have caused large-scale loss of life. During Turkey's attempt in 1915 to deport the entire Armenian population of about 1,750,000 to Syria and Palestine, hundreds of thousands of people, perhaps up to a million, died of starvation or were murdered on the way. But – though this does not exonerate Turkey or its responsibility for the deaths – Armenians had provoked Turkey by organizing volunteer battalions to help Russia fight against it in World War I. Nor is the expulsion of a people from a territory, however disastrous its consequences, equivalent to the Nazi Holocaust, which systematically took the lives of six million Jews and members of other despised groups. Movement of people between India and Pakistan after partitioning 1947 also resulted in thousands of deaths en route."

Waziri