News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

UTC recordings of Hausa music from the 50s

Started by veitarlt, November 12, 2008, 11:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veitarlt

Dear list members

I am currently working on the digitisation of shellac records from the archives of UTC Switzerland. Our goal is to transfer the 100 songs recorded by UTC in Nigeria to the home country in digital form. In 2002 we did a first project of this kind with music from Ghana from the 30s to 50s.

On the website www.africanmusic.unibas.ch you can listen to all the songs we have digitised so far. We are calling on Nigerians worldwide to help us create a public database containing transcriptions and translations of the songs. If you would like to join us please send me a message. You will find additional information on the website mentioned above.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Veit Arlt
Centre for African Studies Basel

Abdalla

Hi Veit

Thank you very much for this excellent collection. I am an ethnomusicologist working in the field in Nigeria and I have never come across these recordings! Rare masterpieces indeed! Does anyone have pictures of the musicians?

I am coming to Basel in February (from 15th) where I have a project with Till Foster of Institute of Social Anthropology. Maybe we can meet over coffee?

Abdalla (auadamu@yahoo.com)
www.kanoonline.com/auadamu

bakangizo

Quote from: veitarlt on November 12, 2008, 11:17:38 PM
Dear list members

I am currently working on the digitisation of shellac records from the archives of UTC Switzerland. Our goal is to transfer the 100 songs recorded by UTC in Nigeria to the home country in digital form. In 2002 we did a first project of this kind with music from Ghana from the 30s to 50s.

On the website www.africanmusic.unibas.ch you can listen to all the songs we have digitised so far. We are calling on Nigerians worldwide to help us create a public database containing transcriptions and translations of the songs. If you would like to join us please send me a message. You will find additional information on the website mentioned above.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Veit Arlt
Centre for African Studies Basel

Great work. I would find time to go through the site.